Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,984 members, 7,825,065 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? (19579 Views)

Going For Masters Abroad!! Which Country Is Easy & Less Expensive? / Top Ten List Of Countries For Masters Degree / Which Of The Uk Universities Is The Cheapest For Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by UNIXLover(m): 11:56am On Sep 02, 2013
Hello Guys...Ok,I currently work for an IT consulting firm as an Application Development/Support.I have a total of 3 years working experience in IT and some Certifications.Now,I have always wanted to do my Masters in the Us and i have been taking some steps as regards that in the last few months.I will be writing the GRE exams in few weeks.would you guys advise i quit this Job for Msc? what are the chances of getting a job in the Us? I currently earn more than 200k In Nigeria.But anything that makes me forfeit this Msc Plans now means i will be focusing on Marriage plans Next(But i really wish i have my Msc in the Us ).

Will it be a worthwhile Move?
I am currently Looking at Msc In Information Systems/Technology.
Also,If i will be getting funding from schools(Or GA)will you guys still advise i Move?

Contributions are highly appreciated.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by enigmagu1(m): 12:06pm On Sep 02, 2013
If u have money dat ll suztain u till u get anoda job after mazters then ...gooooo...

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by mployer(m): 12:19pm On Sep 02, 2013
US? Yes! Uk? No!

28 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by UNIXLover(m): 12:38pm On Sep 02, 2013
enigmagu1: If u have money dat ll suztain u till u get anoda job after mazters then ...gooooo...

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 02, 2013
if you get the msc what are you going to do with it? do you have any hope/chances of getting a better job afterwards?

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Goodcare(m): 4:29pm On Sep 02, 2013
I BEG YOU IN THE NAME OF GOD NOT DO IT........Experienced candidate

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by medacares: 4:29pm On Sep 02, 2013
Mr Man if u have money go and Study.
And pls Seun what is this doing in front page?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by teeawaii(f): 4:30pm On Sep 02, 2013
Quit d job,if u re financially on point¤
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by PStacks(m): 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2013
Knowledge is power ooo! Grab the Masters with both hands, more so in America, Gods own country! The IT firm you work for here won't really know your value like when you are in Silicon valley, I don't think you should be asking this uestion in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by bimflash(f): 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2013
I think u should go for ur masters. Dia r better offers for M.sc holders 'Anywhere'
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by bimflash(f): 4:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
mollytinrox: if you get the msc what are you going to do with it? do you have any hope/chances of getting a better job afterwards?
^^
fOOD FOR TOT.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by zangality(m): 4:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
Follow your dreams everything will surely fall in place...
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by TUNEX89(m): 4:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
Dey no dey tel bland man se rain de fal .

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by munagirl: 4:33pm On Sep 02, 2013
UNIXLover: Hello Guys...Ok,I currently work for an IT consulting firm as an Application Development/Support.I have a total of 3 years working experience in IT and some Certifications.Now,I have always wanted to do my Masters in the Us and i have been taking some steps as regards that in the last few months.I will be writing the GRE exams in few weeks.would you guys advise i quit this Job for Msc? what are the chances of getting a job in the Us? I currently earn more than 200k In Nigeria.But anything that makes me forfeit this Msc Plans now means i will be focusing on Marriage plans Next(But i really wish i have my Msc in the Us ).

Also,If i will be getting funding from schools(Or GA)will you guys still advise i Move?

I dunno about US o but if their immigration law is like UK pls don't
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by mascot87(m): 4:33pm On Sep 02, 2013
My candid advice from the bottom of my heart is this :Leave the Job and go for your Master's degree program since you said it is in US.I am saying this because I will do exactly thesame if I am given the opportunity even if I earn #300k.
There is always a better place somewhere anytime,any day.
Cheers smiley

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Naijalastborn(m): 4:35pm On Sep 02, 2013
Follow your Dreams..

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by chxe: 4:35pm On Sep 02, 2013
if you enough finances to complete your program, then do it, but if you are hoping to come here and work while you go to school, you will only make money for feeding and rent not fees because the law gives you permission to work 20hours a week as you will have F1 visa. when you finish your studies here, they usually give you 18months to look for a job. if you find one, good for you. thats al i can say..

MOST MASTERS PROGRAMS I KNOW ARE 2YEARS HERE!!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Rhino5dm: 4:35pm On Sep 02, 2013
bimflash: I think u should go for ur masters. Dia r better offers for M.sc holders 'Anywhere'

STOP LYING!!!

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Coldblooded(m): 4:36pm On Sep 02, 2013
One of my cousins quit his banking job and traveled to UK for MSc....it was a success

but he is back now with us, managing a small corner of his father's shop

we r praying for him cos he is yet to secure another "good"job cry

10 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by paparazzi1987(m): 4:41pm On Sep 02, 2013
Am having this same issue too..But i only have one year working experience and my take home pay is a little above 140k;
As a software developer in a reputable software company in Nigeria.
I really hope to learn from the responses that will be posted on this topic.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by 2good(m): 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2013
I quit my job in Nigeria to study for a MSc degree in Europe and I am better off today. I can't tell you to resign and follow thesame step with me but you have to know that what you want to do is a big risk and there is no way of predicting what will happen to you after you graduate with a degree in the US, but if you are planning to continue in the IT sector, then you should not have too much problem getting a job after graduation since you already have some work experience. In my own case, I already had some work experience in the oil and gas industry in Nigeria and studied Petroleum Engineering. Always know that your work experience is very valuable anywhere.
I guess the decision was quite easy for me because i got a full scholarship with monthly stipend while studying.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by AjanleKoko: 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2013
UNIXLover: Hello Guys...Ok,I currently work for an IT consulting firm as an Application Development/Support.I have a total of 3 years working experience in IT and some Certifications.Now,I have always wanted to do my Masters in the Us and i have been taking some steps as regards that in the last few months.I will be writing the GRE exams in few weeks.would you guys advise i quit this Job for Msc? what are the chances of getting a job in the Us? I currently earn more than 200k In Nigeria.But anything that makes me forfeit this Msc Plans now means i will be focusing on Marriage plans Next(But i really wish i have my Msc in the Us ).

I don't think it's a good move.
Not at this time.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 02, 2013
Please if you are comfortable with your job and it has a really good pay, dont try it.

Wait till you are well settled that even if the "worst" should come, you will not be shaken.

But since you are getting funding from schools, you might give it a shot. So long you know that when you are done, you are coming back to meet something better.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by bobod: 4:44pm On Sep 02, 2013
Online masters are a credible qualifications especially in the field where you are -IT .
A job that presently gives you 200k in Naija is much better than a job of 3k dollars or 2.5k pounds abroad -considering everything .
You can always go abroad , even you can get a job in the US or Europe based on the experience and skills that you presently possess .
Pls dont look down on what you have , keep your job , do online masters , keep your eyes open for jobs abroad (believe me they recruit from naija!)

The financial outlay of going abroad is just too much , unless you have the sponsor , many guys who dump their naija jobs , see themselves jobseeking and doing all sorts for 5-8 years after getting the so called dream Masters
Anyway best of luck !

9 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 02, 2013
Have u written and passed the exam yet?? No you havnt...If u have a good business plan for yourself as a result of which you would need an msc, then you can go, wen u pass the exams... I cannot tell you whether to go or stay because I don't know what your plans are.. In any case, you have to do a cost/benefit analysis before u decide, if the benefits of leaving your job for a masters degree in the u.s is greater then the opportunity cost, then going won't be a bad idea but if its the other way round, I suggest you remain where you are... Goodluck
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Ikengawo: 4:44pm On Sep 02, 2013
NO.

Please don't gamble your life away. You have and excellent job and in Nigeria when you're already 'in' all that's left is to climb higher. People have a hard time understanding but

Stability >>> Earnings

You have a steady job and guaranteed income that's already high. What's best now is to climb in your terrain, you can get your masters when your 70 in America if it pleases you, it's not a time based thing because they're open to anyone and everyone educating at anytime. As of right now, use the stability to have to fortify your life, establish a strong savings, marry, or even start a business on the side. This is a prime chance for you to expand. In the US you can have a doctorate and be unemployed, especially if you're an immigrant that doesn't have an american accent and/or doesn't know anyone, it's not too different from naija.

don't throw your life into limbo because of what people tell you about 'america'. It's nice here but it's nice in Nigeria too if you have what you have. It's also horrible if you loose what you have in both countries.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Ikengawo: 4:47pm On Sep 02, 2013
You earn as much as I do here in the US but i haven't finished school, still a student. My sister that has finished school earns less than both of us, the US can be very much like Nigeria, especially since the economy went down hill.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by WhyAWhy(m): 4:49pm On Sep 02, 2013

To start with looks like you've made up your mind to go to the US for masters and you're only here for more motivation. Will your current career path be enhanced by an M.Sc? Why exactly do you need an M.Sc or a foreign M.Sc at that. Are you doing it because it "looks" cool and everyone you know is going after a foreign masters? Sincerely answer these questions.

Next...

Register for GRE and score extremely high (you need more than a few weeks of preparation to attain this). This will make your application attractive for funding purposes. Make sure you apply to the top schools in US for the M.Sc you desire. These few steps will transit you from m.sc to a good job sooner or later. Good luck

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Mudley313: 4:49pm On Sep 02, 2013
m-ployer:
US? Yes! Uk? No!

why? abeg expanciate

Goodcare: I BEG YOU IN THE NAME OF GOD NOT DO IT........Experienced candidate

^^^enemy of progress

paparazzi1987: Am having this same issue too..But i only have one year working experience and my take home pay is a little above 140k;
As a software developer in a reputable software company in Nigeria.
I really hope to learn from the responses that will be posted on this topic.

smh...people make that working for micky D's

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 02, 2013

Let me give you the best advice you will get today. Forget about the Masters and stick to your job. Your making over 200k right? Stick to it. Your career line is actually suffering in the US. Most Jobs are outsourced to india. The few ones available have like 60 billion Indians waiting in line to take it. A lot of americans actually stopped going into i.t because of the way Indians flooded that zone. If your career was in engineering, specifically petroleum, I would have said, okay, good idea. Take it from me, you do not want to regret it. If you have assurances of getting your job back in Nigeria when you finish, then go ahead because your chance of getting a job in the US upon graduation is like 10%. Even citizens have a difficult time getting one in that area. However, the select few that do get it, sure do get paid well.

If you must, enroll in an ONLINE program and keep your current job.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Section Of The Eko Bridge Blocked For Rehabilitation / Keke-marwa: The Latest Menace To The Society / Spanish Government Deports 23 Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.