Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,940 members, 7,952,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:41 AM

US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria (23715 Views)

Russian Nuclear Bombers Keep Roaming Closer To U.S. Airspace / Photos: Giant Snake Killed In Egypt Red Sea / Kofi Annan Resigns As UN Envoy To Syria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 02, 2013
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The USS Nimitz aircraft carrier and four other ships in its strike group moved into the Red Sea early on Monday, U.S. defense officials said, describing the move as "prudent planning" in case the ships are needed for military action against Syria.

The officials said the Nimitz entered the Red Sea around 6 a.m. EDT, but the strike group had not received any orders to move into the Mediterranean, where five U.S. destroyers and an amphibious ship remain poised for possible cruise missile strikes against Syria.

Moving the Nimitz into the Red Sea was aimed at putting more U.S. assets in place if they are needed to support what U.S. officials still describe as a limited attack against Syria after it used chemical weapons against civilians.

"It does place that strike group in a position to respond to a variety of contingencies," said one official, who was not authorized to speak publicly.

The nuclear-powered Nimitz is accompanied by the Princeton, a cruiser, and three destroyers - the William P. Lawrence, Stockdale and Shoup, according to the officials.

They said there had been no change regarding six U.S. Navy ships now in the eastern Mediterranean, but military planners were reassessing the situation given a delay in the cruise missile strikes that had been expected this past weekend.

President Barack Obama on Saturday backed off imminent strikes by five destroyers off the coast of Syria until Congress had time to vote its approval. Defense officials said the delay gave them more time to reassess which ships and other weapons will be kept in the region - and whether some may be allowed to leave. Congress returns to Washington September 9.

The U.S. Navy doubled its presence in the eastern Mediterranean in the past week, effectively adding two destroyers to the three that generally patrol the region.

The destroyers are carrying a combined load of about 200 Tomahawk missiles, but officials say a limited strike on Syria could be accomplished with half that number.

Reuters reported Sunday that officials had rerouted the Nimitz carrier group, which was due to sail east around Asia to return to its home port in Everett, Washington, after being relieved in recent days by another aircraft carrier, the USS

Officials said the USS Kearsarge, a large-deck amphibious ship, remained in North Arabian Sea, and there were no plans to move the ship into the Red Sea.

The Kearsarge, which carries 6 AV-8B Harriers, 10-12 V-22 Ospreys and helicopters, played a key role in the 2011 strikes on Libya. Two Ospreys launched from the ship helped rescue a downed F-15 pilot during that operation.

http://news.yahoo.com/uss-nimitz-carrier-moves-red-sea-134600633.html

2 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 02, 2013
wow!!! Can syria stand all this weapons of mass destruction; why don't the president of Syria tow the path of peace and learn from the fall of Gaddafi, Mubarak,Saddam hussein etc.

7 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Nobody: 7:26pm On Sep 02, 2013
MOD MOVE TO FRONT PAGE..... shocked shocked shocked shocked SEE BOAT OOOOOO shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 02, 2013
I hope Assad is killed.

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by talktrue1(m): 8:07pm On Sep 02, 2013
Will the strike hit Assad or still the citizen?

3 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by DrWalter: 8:10pm On Sep 02, 2013
End time tinz

8 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Horus(m): 8:17pm On Sep 02, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFvzWvqfrOU

Why Syria is a Smokescreen for WWIII

4 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by solomon111(m): 8:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
Mschewww!!!

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Akpaife(m): 10:16pm On Sep 02, 2013
I love israel

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by BedLam: 10:26pm On Sep 02, 2013
Reminds me of T he movie, "battleship'

2 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by yunglykmine(m): 10:27pm On Sep 02, 2013
Lord have Mercy.
Can Syria actually stand this?
Peace be onto the World.

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Horus(m): 10:30pm On Sep 02, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_XQQIQQ-g0

[size=15pt]Syrian Army test Ballistic Missiles[/size]
Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Odunharry(m): 10:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
we get al ds 4 here so?if gbege happn wtn 9ja wan do?
Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Odunharry(m): 10:36pm On Sep 02, 2013
Horus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_XQQIQQ-g0

[size=15pt]Syrian Army test Ballistic Missiles[/size]

dm ds 1s dy para o....if ds 1 5 enta 9ja na dai o..

9ja is blessd by God..no weapon fit prosper against us

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Lordlexy: 11:07pm On Sep 02, 2013
The bombardment of syria will not result to any ww3. Assad has decided to remain deviance and he will suffer the consequences. He hoped in fragile islamic nation iran to come to her rescue, but even a nation 10 times as strong as iran can never withstand the fire power of the United State. I only pity the arab state with their poor propaganda who feels iran is in the league of the United state hence it outburst against U.s. By the time America finishes up with syria and properly face iran, then the remain arab world will realised that, you don't make threat on United State and not get burnt.

21 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by dulaman: 11:11pm On Sep 02, 2013
End time.

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by HezronLorraine(m): 11:18pm On Sep 02, 2013
I just don't want to see this strike taking place.

Assad,many have died please just give up.Its honourable to walk away.please.

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Oluomo6: 11:42pm On Sep 02, 2013
ogakpatakpata: wow!!! Can syria stand all this weapons of mass destruction; why don't the president of Syria tow the path of peace and learn from the fall of Gaddafi, Mubarak,Saddam hussein etc.

Pride.

2 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Nobody: 8:05am On Sep 03, 2013
The Innocent Citizens should also be put into consideration before any such strike #my opinion tho
Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by lifestyle1(m): 9:39am On Sep 03, 2013
This is going to be bloody!!!
Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 03, 2013
All bark but no bite!

The title is misleading, change it to: US scrap metal moves into red sea closer to Syria! undecided

3 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by pekelepekele(m): 9:40am On Sep 03, 2013
I am not a copy cat but for real this is sign of end time cheesy

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by pekelepekele(m): 9:42am On Sep 03, 2013
Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by royale442(m): 9:42am On Sep 03, 2013
eddiebruk: The Innocent Citizens should also be put into consideration before any such strike #my opinion tho
U.S.A!

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by elampiro(m): 9:44am On Sep 03, 2013
An all out war might break out.
Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Lordave: 9:46am On Sep 03, 2013
ShymmexLion: All bark but no bite!

The title is misleading, change it to: US scrap metal moves into red sea closer to Syria! undecided
is this supposed to be a joke?

You ain't funny dude

2 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by donodion(m): 9:47am On Sep 03, 2013
One day my country Nigerian shall build and own as many as this God willing.... angry angry angry
Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by AbuMikey(m): 9:49am On Sep 03, 2013
Let the War Begin!!!

Am so loving this action film cheesy

1 Like

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 03, 2013
With my knees on the ground and my heart pounding like a hammer
God I beseech thee.
Pls bring my man back in one piece. cry
We'll serve you forever
For those of you happy about a war.
You don't know peoples children,brothers,husbands and fiancees are in those war ships.
You don't know how terrifying it is if a war should break and they stand the chance of dying.
It's like a movie to you cry

4 Likes

Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 03, 2013
Nation will rise against nation.
Re: US Warships Moves Into Red Sea Closer To Syria by Eneze1(f): 9:51am On Sep 03, 2013
I just hope Assad will tow the path of peace, its time he gives this up, a lot of innocent people are dead already, US bombing that place is gonna do more harm than good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

US Man Sets Himself Ablaze In Washington Over Israel-Palestine War / Iran Threatens To ‘review Nuclear Doctrine’ If Israel Attacks / Explosions At Brussels Airport And Subway Station In Belgium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.