Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" (1898 Views)

My Brother In Law (sister's Husby) Is Becoming Too Rude For My Liking... / I'm I being rude to my mother Inlaw. / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by saintvc(m): 11:25pm On Sep 02, 2013
Recently my sister has been telling me to saythank you to her anytime she did somethingfor me.
We do a lot of things for each other.
I have never requested her to say any thank you's as I felt seeing her happy enough. PlusI would feel like I gave grudgingly if I had to request a thank you. Needless to say, I felt demeaned and treated like a child.

It was a bit angering.
Just when is it appropriate to tell someone to say "Thank you" after giving?
Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 02, 2013
When under 10yrs children brain could process tge right thing on their own , and send me wobbly thank you notes every month end they receive their sponsoring funds in third world country

Now a grown aśš adult here will now assume its his/her birthright ?? Hell No

If I give you a dollar, courtesy demands a neat thank you from you, I won't ask for it , if your brain cant process that trust me that's it btw us and I don't care how we're related.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by Nobody: 2:45am On Sep 03, 2013
From what I deduced from your post it seems she is your elder sister and U should say ''Thank You'' whenever each of you receive gifts from each Other ....!!!

It is not the gift per se but the 'training',Discipline and basic education of acknowledging courtesy !!!
Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by greatgod2012(f): 6:31am On Sep 03, 2013
Dear op, let me be sincere with you, you don't need to be asked to say a thank you before you say it, no matter how close related or knitted you are to each other and vice versa.

Saying thank or being appreciative is a virtue that mustn't be taken for granted at all. It is the kind of training that must be given to every child and I want to believe that you have been given such training, only that you are thinking it's your sister, so you don't need to, but you really have to, even if it is your parents. It shows you have a sense of gratitude.
Even we say thank you to God and it provokes Him to do more for us, not to talk of humans.
Let me tell you, if you want to change your impression with anyone, especially positively, learn to be polite, grateful, appreciative and expressive about it to everyone.
There is no one, again I say, no one, that do not deserve appreciation, even for the smallest thing that is done for us.

And as for asking for thank you, I can only ask my kids probably they forget to or carried away with what is done for them at the moment, to say thank you as a form of training, apart from that, I can't ask any other person to say thank you, if I give or do something to someone and he/she refuse to say thank you, I will just assume the person is not properly trained or refuse to accept proper training, and I will move on, but I bet if such a person can go far in life because everyone likes to be appreciated.
May God help us all.
Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by RoyalRoy(m): 7:21am On Sep 03, 2013
@Greatgod has said it all.

You should always be thankful without been told!! Its a natural rule of life.
Even if the person doing u a favour is a small kid.
Be appreciative she is correcting you, instead of getting angry, so you don't go out and be disgraced!
Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by bellong: 7:33am On Sep 03, 2013
Your sister probably discovered that you have chronic disease of ingratitude, hence her insistence on you saying thank you.

You probably may be doing it to others and she is taking it upon herself to instill the heart of gratitude and appreciation in you.

For her action, she deserves a BIG THANK YOU from you. Now go and do it.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 03, 2013
Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 03, 2013
Once you are given something, always say thank you.

It can be gift, services you pay for etc. say " thank you"

I notice we hardly say , please, thank you , and I'm sorry in Nigeria.
Makes life easier and make the other person feel appreciated.

It can be that little girl serving you sachet water in the restaurant.

Learn to say
"Please can I have...."

Say "thank you before and after you receive the product services"

A d learn to say I'm sorry when you are wrong.
Three things...

PLEASE, THANK YOU. I AM SORRY

And see you go places smiley

What a preaching this Tuesday morning. Phew
Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 03, 2013
You should always try to get in the habit of saying "Thank You" to people. They're just two simple words that could make someone's day. It also helps your character too, just so you don't become an ingrate. At the same time, it shouldn't be demanded. When you do something, it should be done freely, whether the receiver wants to thank you or not is up to them. Maybe she felt unappreciated because you weren't thanking her for the things she was doing, which's why she's trying to get the words out of you now. But that's not really the way to go. I wouldn't feel great if I've to force someone to thank me and they end up doing it grudgingly. You two are siblings and should show appreciation to one another. It's not difficult to open your mouth and thank someone.
Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by mumumugu(m): 7:53pm On Sep 03, 2013
Thank you
Re: Is It Rude To Demand For "Thank You" by armyofone(m): 8:40pm On Sep 03, 2013
"Please" and "thank you" are very important tools in life, use it.

(1) (Reply)

Teenage Pregnancy; Any Benefit? / A Conflict Btw A Father And His First Son...advice Needed.. / Alleged Husband Killer Yewande Can Wear Veil – Court (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.