Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? (3258 Views)

Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best / Front Wheel Drive Vs Rear Wheel Drive; Which Is Better? / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by shootsight(m): 11:29am On Sep 05, 2013
I was just wondering why we don't get †̥σ see V8 powered cars with transversely mounted powertrain... I've noticed most v8 cars are awd or have ∂ engines mounted longitudinally delivering powered †̥σ Τђε rear wheels. Some too are mid engined delivering power either to the front wheels or all four whEels. Why not a front wheel drive with Τђε same layout as would a Honda EOD or Toyota camry ?
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by Trac: 11:58am On Sep 05, 2013
There are! The Cadillacs and the Impalas. I'm sure there might be more.
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by cardoctor(m): 10:25am On Sep 06, 2013
Trac: There are! The Cadillacs and the Impalas. I'm sure there might be more.

Lincoln Continentals, Cadillac Deville, most large American Ford sedans etc.

Are you interested in buying one?

Car-Doctor.
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by JUO(m): 11:38am On Sep 06, 2013
?
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by leuelliot(m): 1:39pm On Sep 06, 2013
Volvo s80 v8 and xc 90 v8 are. I think they can never be front wheel driven because the Torque would be so much for the front wheels to handle.
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 06, 2013
There are quite a few transversely-mounted V8 engines with FWD, the Cadillac Northstar being a prime example in some Cadillac, Buick etc. It's got nothing to do with handling the torque, it's not commonly used due to space constraints, and the weight of the engine / transaxle being ahead of the axle centreline.
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by shootsight(m): 6:37pm On Sep 06, 2013
Siena: There are quite a few transversely-mounted V8 engines with FWD, the Cadillac Northstar being a prime example in some Cadillac, Buick etc. It's got nothing to do with handling the torque, it's not commonly used due to space constraints, and the weight of the engine / transaxle being ahead of the axle centreline.
oga siena with all ∂@t power going to the front wheels wouldn't there be Torque steer concerns perhaps ??
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 06, 2013
shoot@sight:
oga siena with all ∂@t power going to the front wheels wouldn't there be Torque steer concerns perhaps ??

Not really. No more than high-output turbocharged I4's. Most modern FWD set-ups have a much thicker driveshaft on the longer side, so it flexes less, closer to the flex rate of the shorter one.

And some utilise a torque tube from the transmission, with the driveshaft on that side coming from the torque tube to the driven wheel. This makes both driveshafts the same length on both sides, so torque steer won't be an issue here.
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by Trac: 7:34am On Sep 07, 2013
car-doctor:

Lincoln Continentals, Cadillac Deville, most large American Ford sedans etc.

Car-Doctor.

Not at all. Nice sales tactic.
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 07, 2013
Trac: Not at all. Nice sales tactic.

Welcome back, Trac! How're you keeping? I sent you a couple of PM's a while back, but never got any responses.
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by cardoctor(m): 4:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
Trac:

Not at all. Nice sales tactic.

See naija man?

He thinks I'm trying to sell him one. Unfortunately, I Don't sell cars. I only repair them.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Why Don't We See Front Wheel V8 Cars With Transversely Mounted Engines? by Trac: 6:09am On Sep 11, 2013
car-doctor:

See naija man?

He thinks I'm trying to sell him one. Unfortunately, I Don't sell cars. I only repair them.

Car-Doctor.

grin
Someone's hating! smiley

(1) (Reply)

Sienna With Hard Start In The Morning. / Coolant Reservoir Overflows / Volvo S60 2006 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.