Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? (120261 Views)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Lamasta(m): 10:33am On Sep 17, 2013
codeManiac: To all refering to universities in nigeria as a place wer u can learn basics/foundation,u myt b right,bt 4 som of us dat hav bin in d 4 wals of d uni's,dis is a place wer lecturers come 2 class with loads of downloaded materials only to come and read them out to students,wer d sylabus we ar using is same as d one used by our lecturers,wer to pass a course depends on ur cramming ability 2 giv bk wat d lecturers gav u,wer students ar write journals/thesis on behalf of their lecturers,wer a lecturer once said "wen u graduate,u can go nd learn advance languages lyk php"...i no fit type all...lyk if u hav xperiencd any of diz
I really salute You, You have said it all atimes I used to ask myself that does it mean if you don't cram lecturers note you can't pass a course or graduate with a good result

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by gozmos(m): 5:50pm On Sep 20, 2013
Computer Science is the Best joor

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nov1ce(m): 8:51pm On Sep 22, 2013
gozmos: Computer Science is the Best joor
GBAM!!!
Case closed!!!
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by bigdot1759(m): 8:56pm On Sep 23, 2013
codeninja:

Your solid grasp of English Language, the tremendous ability to engineer your own way of spelling California and "Emeritus of Professor" title are good reasons why we need more than technician-producing IT centre kind of education.

Go get a degree pal and don't skip English lectures..

Cheers
is not my L1 so u can just continie ur criticism, & on IT level can.pls trll the world the professor who teach bill gate & owner of oracle,
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by crystalray(m): 4:40pm On Sep 26, 2013
as a student of unilag who has changed courses twices, I'll advice you to even learn from roadside trainers. to be very honest with you, anything computer in unilag(at least the one I'm sure of) is a complete waste of time. check the course outline and please take a day to be in a computer class in lag, your eyes will open. b4 I entered lag, I thought I had gotten jackpot. now I'm regretting. all the computer graduates in "NIGERIA" where are they? how are there lives? you guys should at least research before making invalid comments. it potrays insolvency. a big example is myself and my crew! watch out.

3 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by fatteyskod(m): 7:08am On Sep 27, 2013
Chk out course outlines in NIIT then u will knw studying comp sci in nigeria uni is rubbish n waste of time
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by kambo(m): 6:48pm On Oct 02, 2013
Nov1ce:
Haha!
No be person write the algorithm wey dey the back
For example in VB.NET you can predict the random figures that you'll get after a while. So that leads to the question, 'How random is random'
There was a crew in Nigeria that got paid in a mega way becos the wrote and algorithm that would generate millions of 13 digit PINs without repeating a number! Now thats a feat! If it was by using java.util.random to concatenate different different digits then there would be no big deal in doing that.

how was this done that made it a feat.
Cuz by the lil programming i know the process for generating 10 13-digit random numbers and millions of 13-digit numbers are the same. The glaring issue to contend with here is time so if the logic follows the team worked on reducing d time cost which cud hav been done by using bigger faster multi core machines and storage (big databases ). To eliminate d duplication, the generated numbers cud b passed thru a Set (a non duplicate data structure) . This is a naive approach to d problem but what did they do that was innovative and required more formal cs knowledge. Share it we are here to learn.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Successguilders: 12:55am On Oct 25, 2013
skyfall:

I think I advised the guy. Personally, I don't believe that any course is better than another. It's just a matter of interest and opportunities after graduation. There are many Mech Eng graduates dusting their feet all over looking for jobs while Languages graduates are getting good jobs.
no mech student practically can look for Job, they create jobs
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 26, 2013
Successguilders: no mech student practically can look for Job, they create jobs
how? How many machines is credited to a mech engineer in Nigeria
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Successguilders: 12:27am On Oct 27, 2013
paddy4destiny: how? How many machines is credited to a mech engineer in Nigeria
what do you understand as "create" i dont mean "invent", even at "invent", they are also working on it, you can google that.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 4:58am On Oct 27, 2013
Successguilders: what do you understand as "create" i dont mean "invent", even at "invent", they are also working on it, you can google that.
how do they create jobs? A mech engineer is supposed to be churning out new machines.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Successguilders: 7:52am On Oct 27, 2013
paddy4destiny: how do they create jobs? A mech engineer is supposed to be churning out new machines.
They can beself employed in many ways, if you want to learn email me.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 29, 2013
Successguilders: They can beself employed in many ways, if you want to learn email me.
for what? Say it here for others to learn
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Successguilders: 4:21pm On Oct 29, 2013
paddy4destiny: for what? Say it here for others to learn
Are you a SOMEC
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by techwizard(m): 4:07pm On Nov 03, 2013
I am planning to study computer engineering because its my passion and it is one of the only thing I can do perfectly I can do some little programming in c++ and I am always eager to learn more, just a year to go before am true with secondary school, I plan to work for big companies like apple, ibm, microsoft and I also plan to start up my own software company. You guys should check this out http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Federighi
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by akasniper(m): 6:27pm On Nov 12, 2013
gbengadada2004:

[b]Why I agree with the fact that you don't have to study Computer Science to be a programmer. I want to emphatically state that Computer Science is more than just programming. The fact that you can write programs doesn't make you a Computer Scientist. To say that the study of Computer Science is a waste of time is just like saying the following:
Why study Mechanical Engineering when you can go and learn mechanic and be repairing cars?
Why study Electrical Engineering when you can learn how to do wiring and repair electronic gadgets?
Why study Computer Engineering when you can learn how to do networking, do system installation and repair monitors?
Why study Agric Engineering when you can have your own farm, hire tractors and other farm equipment and produce bounty harvest?
Why study Medicine when you can become native doctor and be healing the sick? After all we have seen many people in the news who practised medicine for so many years without going to any medical school.
Why study Nursing when many 'iya agbebi' in some churches are delivering pregnant women safely?

The list is endless. I studied Computer Science and I have never for once regretted that I did so. Today I am a PhD student researching in the area of Swarm Robotics. [/b][size=8pt][/size]

That's totally true. But the more painful truth is that studying computer science in nigeria is a complete waste of resource including time and money. I am currently a computer science student in this country and i know how i suffered to gain the skills that i posses today. We live in a country where education is never taken seriously. Imagine a situation where a lecturer with a Phd degree doesn't know anything about what he's teaching and preaches fallacies in class. I really wish i had the opportunity to study abroad initially bcause my mate who i'm about to graduate with next year do not understand something as simple as "assigning a value to a variable" in any programming language at all(i'm not exaggerating). our lecturers are really foolish!

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 15, 2013
Hahaha! Every field has its own quacks. Elect Eng has electricians claiming they know it, Mech Eng has mechanics claiming they know it etc but then, how well do they know it? They might be good in the little they know but how encompassing is their knowledge? Let them go to school even after their experise lets see their results. At the ICT firm where O work, no one knows simple SDLC. Though they were still doing fine, things could have been better. Point is, it goes far beyond writing codes. Sometimes, you need to understand how these codes relate to the operating system kernel if you must write advanced ones like Artificial Intelligence etc. I'm surprised that a jambite could just put up some a posts and even well "enlightened" ones would go in support. Is your uncle a programmer? If only your naive uncle knows the extent of his damage. My bro, the poster, take your time and browse the content of Computer Science or seek professional advice before posting such next time, ok? No hard feelings. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pjosh1(m): 10:02pm On Nov 15, 2013
All my uncle was tryn 2 say is that studying comp. sci in Nigeria is a waste of time. I compared the course outline of some Nigerian uni with that of other countries nd ii saw the difference.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by jazzme1: 7:16am On Nov 23, 2013
You guyz shud stop saying crazzing tins abt comp sc..... I am computer science student @ IMSU, I studied oracle 11g @ NIIT i'm wit my OCA cert and am stil studing JAVA @ karrox... But rit now i can read btwn d linez very well and i can assure u studing computer science @ UNI is great and advicible. This centers claiming to knw all abt ICT/IT only focuses on how to manage all dix already made programs/software that are new/latest in town but the won't wilden ur knowledge on hw to invent it or think like a smart programmer so that one day u might b d boss and not alwaz depending on pples stuf/users. Tnk u all.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Time77(m): 5:00pm On Jul 03, 2014
p.josh:
This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course.

Go to polytechnic if you want to learn faster. That is if your uncle allow you gogrin

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Raypawer(m): 6:58am On Jul 04, 2014
Time77:

Go to polytechnic if you want to learn faster. That is if your uncle allow you gogrin

poly or uni... you can't rely on Nigerian's universities/ poly when it comes to cimp sci issues.. personal input mataz or beta still u enroll for Accp @ Aptech but at that you still have to bend down nd do ur hom wrk!
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by segedy: 9:14pm On Sep 18, 2014
You guys can repost after learning about compiler construction, order analysis, processor architecture and all from NIIT. Awon arindin oshi

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by KazukiIto(m): 9:33pm On Sep 18, 2014
@OP, Everyone; from what I've read so far, I think I can rightly deduce that:
1. Studying computer science in Nigeria is a waste of time.
2. Studying any course in Nigeria is a waste of time and,
3. Going to University in Nigeria is also a waste of time.

But wait o, if I bin no study dis course, which one I for do sef?:|
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Raypawer(m): 3:45pm On Sep 19, 2014
since last year... this topic is up again!
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 7:56pm On Sep 22, 2014
bigdot1759: is not my L1 so u can just continie ur criticism, & on IT level can.pls trll the world the professor who teach bill gate & owner of oracle,
bill gates wouldnt communicate in sloppy english. Neither would Larry Ellison. They wouldnt reach their present heights speaking piss poor english.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Harry4cas(m): 2:45am On Sep 23, 2014
asalimpo:
bill gates wouldnt communicate in sloppy english. Neither would Larry Ellison. They wouldnt reach their present heights speaking piss poor english.

and who's talking bout their communication in english shebi na comptsci eish dem dy argue bout and not about language
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Sep 23, 2014
This is actually an Internet Argument. cool

Let me sit back and read my Oga's comments. grin

*No Offence*

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
I disagree, even bill gate who later become a software achitecture was not taught in university. The apps you are writting as a graduate is what he wrote at age 13. Is all matter of how atticulate you are and the passion you have towads it. Am not a computer science but my dream is greater than being a computer scientist but i only need it in my dream. My conclusion is that be a computer scientist online, not just a programmer but you will know the depth of a search engine and you must think wide. You must be ready to learn from people and gather information accross the globe. Also you must be disciplined as all dreams requires responsibilities. Widely its been stated that many computer science students are programmer but not a computer scientist. The fact is that there is no software engineer in Nigeria. Ability to think beyond programming is what makes you a software achitecture as all software achitect allready know programming. MY CONCLUSION IS THAT COMPUTER SCIENCE IS A COURSE THAT YOU CAN BE BOOSTED ONLINE. You so called computer science student WHY SEEKING FRO ONLINE HELP THROUGH OUT YOUR PROJECT AT SCHOOL.. The greatest you can achive in computer science is to have the creative power, thtas when you will make the difference. Although am not an advocate of programming neither computer science. Thank you for hearing me.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 7:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
bambeolumide: I disagree, even bill gate who later become a software achitecture was not taught in university. The apps you are writting as a graduate is what he wrote at age 13. Is all matter of how atticulate you are and the passion you have towads it. Am not a computer science but my dream is greater than being a computer scientist but i only need it in my dream. My conclusion is that be a computer scientist online, not just a programmer but you will know the depth of a search engine and you must think wide. You must be ready to learn from people and gather information accross the globe. Also you must be disciplined as all dreams requires responsibilities. Widely its been stated that many computer science students are programmer but not a computer scientist. The fact is that there is no software engineer in Nigeria. Ability to think beyond programming is what makes you a software achitecture as all software achitect allready know programming. MY CONCLUSION IS THAT COMPUTER SCIENCE IS A COURSE THAT YOU CAN BE BOOSTED ONLINE. You so called computer science student WHY SEEKING FRO ONLINE HELP THROUGH OUT YOUR PROJECT AT SCHOOL.. The greatest you can achive in computer science is to have the creative power, thtas when you will make the difference. Although am not an advocate of programming neither computer science. Thank you for hearing me.
you wrote so much junk and errors.
- bill gate not taught in university!
Where was he taught then?
What was he studying before dropping out?
- No software Engineer in Nigeria!
When did you conduct the employee census ?

Like i said - edit ur post or pull offline.
- the apps you write as a graduate he wrote @ age 13!
He wrote tic-tac-toe on his primary school computer.
Then wrote traffo-data at 17 b4 attending College.
Are graduates struggling with tic-tac-toe?

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by udswagz: 6:53pm On Oct 01, 2014
I wish someone had told the Nigerian student to start thinking entrepreneurial while in
school, its how i started thinking and i am really grateful to God for giving me such insight.
Do you have any idea how many university graduates are unemployed ?
Even that guy across your street that graduate 2 years ago has not gotten
a job. whats the point ?
the best thing you can do for yourself is to develop your skills.
and focus on building them while you are still in school.
Frankly Nigerian education is one big joke, and there is no promise afterwards.
I focused more on my building my programming skills while in school
and after one year of graduating (have not served, bleeping school ppl)
I am running a web and mobile application development agency,
doing really fine and just got a new laptop.
Please guys build your skill, the educational promise is false.

If you really have to design a website, develop a web application or mobile application
some sites we have developed
www.helonyconcept.com
www.kasemart.com

and we also develop android mobile applications
here is one i recently developed
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmasnig.udcreate&hl=en

Have an app or website idea ? just visit www.udonline.net
and i will help bring your idea to reality.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Skykid1208(m): 10:00pm On Nov 13, 2014
Am Learning grin cheesy grin
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by 1stdami(m): 12:02am On Nov 14, 2014
pjosh1:
This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course.

am a 200 level student of computer science and i sometimes think that what am coming to school to learn can easily be learnt by my self at home, but oboy forget that thing there is more to computer than what coursea or udx will teach you. you need experienced people around you also, competitions, bright minds all these and more cant be overlooked if you wanna study computer science. #proudly_computer_scientist
note: am not studying computer science in nigeria for y'all blaming nigeria's system

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.