Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! (5423 Views)

Photos: Travellers Stranded In Benin/Asaba Express Way Gridlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by morpheus24: 8:47pm On Sep 05, 2013
I am a frequent traveler to both cities in south africa and continue to notice the overwhelming differences between the two popular cities in South Africa.

Anytime I am in capetown, I feel less afraid and hardly am noticed for being "different" aka "makwerekwere". When I mention I am nigerian and here on business, the people including the blacks, coloreds and whites don't usuallly give it a second thought.

When I am johanesburg, very different atmosphere, its like I am in automatic competition with the blacks there, like I stole something already. I really believe the ingnorance stems from most Black south africans not travelling extensive enough to really understand international cities and johanesburg is finding hard to come to grips with the reality of what the city is transforming into.

Your thoughts?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by REMMEI(m): 8:53pm On Sep 05, 2013
Kini mo un wa lo southy..nigba t'ilu gidi wanbe lati lo.
Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by morpheus24: 9:34pm On Sep 05, 2013
REMMEI: Kini mo un wa lo southy..nigba t'ilu gidi wanbe lati lo.

My friend I travel there on business, you no read wetin I write.

2 Likes

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 06, 2013
Cape Town has mostly congolese, who are more civil and easier to get along with.. Joburg is where most Nigerians are at.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by morpheus24: 3:26pm On Sep 06, 2013
*concerto*(^_^):
Cape Town has mostly congolese, who are more civil and easier to get along with.. Joburg is where most Nigerians are at.

Thats not true. There are plenty Nigerians in capetown as well. I don't elieve thats why its less xenophobic.

Might have something to do with less Zulu people there, don't you think?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 06, 2013
^^^^ Is durban more xenophobic than cape town, east London or port Elizabeth? Is khayelitsha, langa or Gugulethu less xenophobic than joburg townships?
Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by morpheus24: 3:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
*concerto*(^_^):
^^^^ Is durban more xenophobic than cape town, east London or port Elizabeth? Is khayelitsha, langa or Gugulethu less xenophobic than joburg townships?

Durbans is same as Joburg ( not talking about townships, wouldn't be caught dead in a township.

East london and port Elizabeht less xenophobic that Joburg,

Khayelista, gugulethu don't count, they are townships as well. I am talking about the cities more so than the townships

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 12, 2014

Very true! Cape Town has less number of Nigerians than Joburg, but has a lot of Somalia, Pakistan, and poorly Zimbabwe and Congolese. Also Congolese blend easier and are not known for all the bad stuff that are associated with Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by x2lambo(m): 12:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
what do you expect, Nigerians Bleep there wifes
Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by morpheus24: 11:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
BluIvy:
Very true! Cape Town has less number of Nigerians than Joburg, but has a lot of Somalia, Pakistan, and poorly Zimbabwe and Congolese. Also Congolese blend easier and are not known for all the bad stuff that are associated with Nigerians.

Who do congolese blend with, Xhosa people?

By blend do you mean get along?

As a Motswana do you feel discriminated against in capetown?
Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 3:19am On Aug 13, 2014
morpheus24:

Who do congolese blend with, Xhosa people?

By blend do you mean get along?

As a Motswana do you feel discriminated against in capetown?

Not at all! Also know I speak Xhosa and Setswana. Consoles blend in because they are not loud and are respectful to their hosts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Babakenny(m): 4:39am On Aug 13, 2014
As far as am concerned, xenophobia is everywhere here. Just last week, my friend that stays in Sunnyside said they arrested almost 500 Nigerians just for nothing. The worst case scenario is that, xenophobia is worst in locations than townships or what we normally called surburbs.

What really amazes me among the black South Africans is that, the moment you speak English, they start looking at you as if you have committed an offence by speaking English. Locations in Barcelona, Etwatwa, Daveyton and the one called zenzele where I normally pass while going to work are very worst in being xenophobic.

The truth is, black South Africans are very insecure due to their large mass illiteracy. Majority are not educated and they depend largely on government grants. They're too lazy, wanting their government to provide everything for them. Imagine the free RDP houses that government builds for them in all the locations.

So coming here to work, is like taking the jobs from them, meanwhile, THEY DON'T HAVE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THOSE JOBS. So, who is to be blame for most South Africans youths not going to school? Its because they're too lazy to study, chasing after small small girls in a shebeen and smoking dagga in all the corners. They like standing on the roadside, wasting their future. They hate school. So when Nigerians comes here with all the degrees and ambitions, they become jealous and start being xenophobic against us. And unfortunately,Nigerians have got big black mambas under their trousers..lol, so their women loves us. I can't shout!!

South African blacks are 100years behind!!
They make life uneasy for foreigners. But Nigerians don't treat foreigners badly back home in Naija. We love foreigners back home in Nigeria. Naija till I die!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Babakenny(m): 4:51am On Aug 13, 2014
And that's why majority of my friends here are white South African, very educated and exposed. In my work place, I don't mingle much with black southy, but the white guys are my close pals. So you see, some of us have strong ties here, like being married to a southy woman and having kids and houses here. So we can't just leave everything and go.

Fortunately, this country is very beautiful, if not for the xenophobic life and the high level of crimes everywhere. We live in fear of unknown. Nigeria is still the best country where you don't have to worry for the fear of unknown. I love my country Naija.

I have been to different countries of the world, USA,Canada, France, Australia,Germany, China, Isreal, UK, Argentina, Brazil, UAE and Senegal. All those countries cannot be compared to the hospitality a Nigerian man will show you in Naija.
I rest my case!!! O da bo!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 13, 2014
Truth be told, I actually have a Phobia for South Africa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by morpheus24: 3:31pm On Aug 13, 2014
BluIvy:
Not at all! Also know I speak Xhosa and Setswana. Consoles blend in because they are not loud and are respectful to their hosts.

By loud, do you mean assertive cause I know Nigerians are no push overs and did not come to SA to come and lick any Black saffers azz as they so wish.

1 Like

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 12:44am On Aug 14, 2014
Babakenny: As far as am concerned, xenophobia is everywhere here. Just last week, my friend that stays in Sunnyside said they arrested almost 500 Nigerians just for nothing. The worst case scenario is that, xenophobia is worst in locations than townships or what we normally called surburbs.

What really amazes me among the black South Africans is that, the moment you speak English, they start looking at you as if you have committed an offence by speaking English. Locations in Barcelona, Etwatwa, Daveyton and the one called zenzele where I normally pass while going to work are very worst in being xenophobic.

The truth is, black South Africans are very insecure due to their large mass illiteracy. Majority are not educated and they depend largely on government grants. They're too lazy, wanting their government to provide everything for them. Imagine the free RDP houses that government builds for them in all the locations.

So coming here to work, is like taking the jobs from them, meanwhile, THEY DON'T HAVE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THOSE JOBS. So, who is to be blame for most South Africans youths not going to school? Its because they're too lazy to study, chasing after small small girls in a shebeen and smoking dagga in all the corners. They like standing on the roadside, wasting their future. They hate school. So when Nigerians comes here with all the degrees and ambitions, they become jealous and start being xenophobic against us. And unfortunately,Nigerians have got big black mambas under their trousers..lol, so their women loves us. I can't shout!!

They make life uneasy for foreigners. But Nigerians don't treat foreigners badly back home in Naija. We love foreigners back home in Nigeria. Naija till I die!!!

The irony of what you have said is "most of them are not educated". For your information only 2% of Nigeria in South Africa are educated and in the legal employment the rest are illiterates who are roaming around selling God knows what. I for one believe the word Xenophobia was popularized to put South Africans in check as they are trying too hard to be the most democratic and politically correct country because of particularly their former President Thabo Mbeki. When in reality that's impossible especially in Africa. Not even the first world countries are achieving close to that except Britain but see what is becoming of Britain? A mass!

To me as a Botswana citizen ffvckkk Xenophobia! You come into my country behave and follow the rules or fvvvkk off, our police would have not only just arrested that 500 but deported it too like last year. And your president would jump up and down and up giving up. You mention anything from Sunnyside, Hillbrow, Seaport, Point, etc? And fail to be honest of what the Nigeria's have turned those once high value suburbs into hell holes where drugs, prostution and scams are done. Until South Africa restores those areas to habitable suburbs that the were before Nigeria's took over their war against lawlessness is far from over. Steve Tshwete the late Minister of Police was on track before he died but hopefully their government will once again start the operation. Most Nigeria's living there are illegal immigraits.

Xenophobic or not South Africa has already lost their plight to uncouth immigrants. I think they are just awakening now, hopefully its not to late.

The truth is for some reason Southern African countries especially South Africa has attracted the worst of Nigeria's crop. Loud, chest beating, not law abiding and tend to insult and undermine their host which is something that even the South Western of Nigeria seem to be experiencing.

I pray South Africa gets this right as they are the leaders in our Southern African block so we need them to have balls of steel and curb this lunacy. Thank you!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 1:05am On Aug 14, 2014
Babakenny: As far as am concerned, xenophobia is everywhere here. Just last week, my friend that stays in Sunnyside said they arrested almost 500 Nigerians just for nothing. The worst case scenario is that, xenophobia is worst in locations than townships or what we normally called surburbs.

@@Bolder. Why do you people get so much bothered by the South African government taking care of its citizen whether by giving free houses or grants to its citizens? How is this your problem? Who pays the tax in that country not its citizens? And do you know how many taxes an average South African pays? From Income tax, Pay as you earn, Vat, Sin taxes, Fuel taxes, rates, levys etc? Why is it wrong then for the government to invest it back to its citizen, if not where would all the money not spend will end up? In the thieving politicians pockets and nothing to show for its citizens.

And by the way, since you are 100 years current, educated, hardworking etc and as they say you cannot change someone else but yourself, why not pack your victimised or attacked self to the nicer people's countries and leave the xenophobes to themselves. If you are soo bothered by South African you could fill a page with insults and complaints, what are you doing there? Na by force, they make you stay there when your heavenly Naija is there?You expect them to change for you or rather you change your location? You are on a long thing. Let me tell you, though the SA government is gearing up to be very hard on its immigration policy and are putting billions to police and monitor for the next five years so you better do something and stop complaining about everyone and everything except some of you people who have created
the image you adorn. undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 1:32am On Aug 14, 2014
morpheus24:

By loud, do you mean assertive cause I know Nigerians are no push overs and did not come to SA to come and lick any Black saffers azz as they so wish.

Well why complain then, if the response to your chest beating is uncomfortable to you? Mtscweeeeew! You are the ones complaining na!

3 Likes

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 1:34am On Aug 14, 2014
nchewi: Truth be told, I actually have a Phobia for South Africa.

Good for you! Don't ever go there they are Xenophobic too!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Babakenny(m): 9:52am On Aug 14, 2014
@Bluivy,
If you care to know, I pay all the taxes as well. From buying petrol, to buying things at pnp,checkers,Kfc,Nandos, named them. I pay all the damn taxes you talked abt. So my money is also going to feeding the south African unemployed people and dependents thru my hard earned money. So think b4 u talk.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Babakenny(m): 9:56am On Aug 14, 2014
And for your information as well, over 90% of Nigerians here are highly educated with college degrees and university education. So , seriously, you never knew that Nigerians are among the world's most educated people on earth?

Naija til I die!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by moneyhungry(m): 12:02pm On Aug 14, 2014
I agree 100% with all your points here except for the 90% theory. Actually, the percentile reverse is the case.

2 Likes

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Babakenny(m): 1:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
moneyhungry: I agree with 100% with all your points here except for the 90% theory. Actually, the percentile reverse is the case.

Yes you're right. Am just trying to make that lady understand how educated we are.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by moneyhungry(m): 1:48pm On Aug 14, 2014
Babakenny:

Yes you're right. Am just trying to make that lady understand how educated we are.
lol. ok bro.
Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2014
Babakenny: @Bluivy,
If you care to know, I pay all the taxes as well. From buying petrol, to buying things at pnp,checkers,Kfc,Nandos, named them. I pay all the damn taxes you talked abt. So my money is also going to feeding the south African unemployed people and dependents thru my hard earned money. So think b4 u talk.

Yes, if you came to their country not the visa vesa. ***If you do not like that leave***** Its easy na! The Constitution of the country you have chosen as you host says the government must provide for its citizen. After all you are making a living in their country enjoying everything that other citizens have been paying taxes for.
Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 14, 2014
Babakenny:

You think you can sell that fish to me. Smh!

1 Like

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 14, 2014
Babakenny: And for your information as well, over 90% of Nigerians here are highly educated with college degrees and university education. So , seriously, you never knew that Nigerians are among the world's most educated people on earth?

Naija til I die!!!

Mtscweeeeew! I can see now I am dealing with a teenage mentality. You do not have to lie to protect your fragile Naija pride. Haba!

And that's Naija till you die statements is embarrassing and juvenile at best. How were you suppose to be something else except Nigerians? Smfdh!

2 Likes

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by morpheus24: 3:42pm On Aug 14, 2014
BluIvy:
The irony of what you have said is "most of them are not educated". For your information only 2% of Nigeria in South Africa are educated and in the legal employment the rest are illiterates who are roaming around selling God knows what.

Where are you getting those fabricated numbers from?. Like they say perception is indeed reality for daft people.

BluIvy:

The truth is for some reason Southern African countries especially South Africa has attracted the worst of Nigeria's crop. Loud, chest beating, not law abiding and tend to insult and undermine their host which is something that even the South Western of Nigeria seem to be experiencing.
I pray South Africa gets this right as they are the leaders in our Southern African block so we need them to have balls of steel and curb this lunacy. Thank you!

Shows how slow you are. If you haven't figured out why the inflow of Nigerian immigrants are of the low breed kind then travel a little more and open your eyes. The smart, middle class Nigerians know their worth and would rather export their skills to first world countries where they would benefit financially and repatriate the dollars back home, as opposed to suffering much of the same marginalization, tribalism and XENOPHOBIA inherent in post Apartheid South Africa.... sorry...... "Southern" Africa still dealing with the systematic remnants of the old regime...., which is why you are left with the very desperate, unskilled and semi- literate ones who will do anything to get out of Nigeria be it North to Libya, Morroco, across the sea to Italy or down South to the left over inherited "white" driven economy of the South.

educate yourself will ya!.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by morpheus24: 3:43pm On Aug 14, 2014
BluIvy:
Mtscweeeeew! I can see now I am dealing with a teenage mentality. You do not have to lie to protect your fragile Naija pride. Haba!
And that's Naija till you die statements is embarrassing and juvenile at best. How were you suppose to be something else except Nigerians? Smfdh!

Me complain, I actually welcome the beef. its good for competition.

Morpheus says .."you do not truly know someone until you fight them"

1 Like

Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 14, 2014
moneyhungry: I agree 100% with all your points here except for the 90% theory. Actually, the percentile reverse is the case.

Leave this teenager, he thinks lying will make him better.
Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by morpheus24: 3:46pm On Aug 14, 2014
BluIvy:
Let me tell you, though the SA government is gearing up to be very hard on its immigration policy and are putting billions to police and monitor for the next five years so you better do something and stop complaining about everyone and everything except some of you people who have created
the image you adorn. undecided

When has this ever stopped migrants from moving from one place to the other. for every law enacted, there is a loop hole.
Re: Johanesburg More Xenophobic Than Capetown. Travellers To Sa! by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 14, 2014
morpheus24:

Where are you getting those fabricated numbers from?. Like they say perception is indeed reality for daft people.

Shows how slow you are. If you haven't figured out why the inflow of Nigerian immigrants are of the low breed kind then travel a little more and open your eyes. The smart, middle class Nigerians know their worth and would rather export their skills to first world countries where they would benefit financially and repatriate the dollars back home, as opposed to suffering much of the same marginalization, tribalism and XENOPHOBIA inherent in post Apartheid South Africa.... sorry...... "Southern" Africa still dealing with the systematic remnants of the old regime...., which is why you are left with the very desperate, unskilled and semi- literate ones who will do anything to get out of Nigeria be it North to Libya, Morroco, across the sea to Italy or down South to the left over inherited "white" driven economy of the South.

educate yourself will ya!.

What's wrong with you lately? Are you on something? Your arguments are off base and incoherent lately. Aaaarg, even for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Will I Know If I Am Banned(us) / Unilag Guest House Rooms Rates,pls Help / Experience Of An Icelander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.