Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,970 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

My Experience With A Zinox Laptop - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Experience With A Zinox Laptop (41261 Views)

New Latest Core I7 Zinox Laptops For Sale / Any Alternative To Bypass A Forgoten Master Password For Zinox Laptop Comptr / Zinox Laptop Drivers Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by bigrovar(m): 3:08pm On Jul 06, 2008
skylabnn , Sun Tzu let me start by saying that trying to victimize a a disgruntled customer is no way to support a comapny , the poster came here to experess is frustration at is ordeal in the hands of zinox , i dont support the idea of singling out zinox as a bad performer cus it doesnt solve the issue , hp dell sony all messes up sometimes , but to come here and make zinox look like the victim is really sad to say the least , i was surprised u didnt even address the issue , or save some sticks for zinox for not providing adequate support for its users , well some will see the fact that u two work for zinox and franly speaking ur attitude help reach that conclusion
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by texazzpete(m): 4:10pm On Jul 06, 2008
@Bigbrovar

You're right, i made some assumptions in my reply to you. You said

bigrovar:

i completely agree with u , just substitute the zinox for sony vaio

To indicate that the Sony VAIO series are underpowered. till now you have been unable to prove that the laptop is underpowered. I attempted to tackle the 'overpriced' issue with my response. When you indicated that you do not play games, i assumed that the Nvidia GPU was redundant.

However, i use a Sony VAIO myself and i've never had any issues with the DVD drive. Th eonly time my Drive had difficulty reading discs, i solved it by cleaning the lens with cotton wool. Since then it's been perfect. I suggest you try the same.

The DVD playing one a particular region of DVDs may be no fault of the laptop manufacturer. It stands to reason that laptops sold in a particular region would be locked to DVD movies of that region.

Then again, that issue would have been evident if you had checked thoroughly online for user and critic reviews before you bought it. Even the pixel resolution of the webcam is given on the website.

I'm not saying all Sony VAIOs are perfect. My VAIO (FE 21M) has a non-working earphone port. Then again, i've been pretty rough in my handling of the laptop and this is a 2 year old laptop, so i'm not too bothered.

We aren't talking about problems plaguing your VAIO, we're asking if the laptops are underpowered and overpriced.

PS: Do you know that bloatware shaves off some of the price of the laptops? It's a discount for your laptop with the trade-off of having bloat installed. I'd rather spend one day wiping ;'em out than to shell out an extra $50 - 100 for the laptop.

@Sun Tzu, skylabnn

Deluded people like you are the ones dragging Nigeria backward. I've given concrete examples of how Americans and Europeans buy japanese cars because they represent the best value for money. I'm not concerned unduly about the maintenance culture that Zinox has, but the systems they sell are overpriced.
They know they can always count on Zombies like you to buy just because it has an 'assembled in Nigeria' sticker on it.

i doubt if all you people springing up in defence of Zinox will buy PAN vehicles assembled in Nigeria.
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by klez(m): 7:23pm On Jul 06, 2008
1st @ skylabnn, what the heck is "a sponsored job"? If I am badly treated, I don't need someone to pay me before I warn others (and vent my frustration- side effect). I think I have made it clear (and if somehow not, read it now) that I am not saying that ALL laptops they roll out will give you this exact scenario I'm in, but that if u do find urself in it, you'll be hung out to dry. I am a University student and the said notebook is not entirely mine but I use it very often, more so than the owner and I know everything about it. Like that it's DVD/CDRW drive (which works fine) is on the same IDE channel as the hard drive thus any attempts to play a c.d. and do anything else meaningful results in system crippling. (Who in their right mind still does that? It's just one cable/slot for pete's sake, fit it in!) And that playing any of my games means its strictly a desktop (unless you want roasted laps - try 55C). I understand that you're in a corporate environment, even the worst companies will attend to their biggest costumers while dutifully ignoring the small fry like me. Afterall, he bought only one sad. Oh, and where did you get those ridiculous reliability figures from? shocked Please don't say the Z word. My point is this: where is the local support or the money value of what I'm buying?

As for Sun Tzu, no, my passport is with me and has never been stamped. And I would happily open my own company AND hire Nigerians if I was in the position to grin, our people a good at many things. About the issue at hand, however, I never said that other laptops don't have issues. But if I was in U.K or U.S. or France or South Africa, Dell, Acer, H.P or Gateway, e.t.c would have attended to me better than Zinox currently have. And there is no denying that fact. I am a complete computer geek and know my stuff (ATi's new HD 4800 series, anyone?) and read reviews of products online regularly (checking prices afterwards - try newegg.com) and I can say that ZINOX SUPPORT IS AWFUL AND THEIR COMPUTERS ARE THE LEAST VALUE FOR MONEY SYSTEMS I'VE SEEN ANYWHERE). (would've have mentioned Apple or Sony but with them you get style [most of the time] and awesome screens). On the last bit, If Zinox is listed on the stock exchange I might actually buy their stock, but only as long as there are enough people like you to keep them afloat. (Which believe it or not is NOT a happy thought)
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by texazzpete(m): 8:12am On Jul 07, 2008
Klez has more sense than Sun Tzu and Skylabnn put together.

@klez

nice one
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 07, 2008
the other thing you have to remember is that as a newcomer fighting for market share - you HAVE to be better than the existing competition. how else can you give people a reason to jump to your product?

sony, hp, dell ,etc are all established players in the industry. they have already built their brand name - they can afford a few fukups now and then. a newcomer cannot do this. unless of course, hes in nigeria, where people buy because of patriotism rather than common sense.
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by bigrovar(m): 10:24am On Jul 07, 2008
klez:

1st @ skylabnn, what the heck is "a sponsored job"? If I am badly treated, I don't need someone to pay me before I warn others (and vent my frustration- side effect). I think I have made it clear (and if somehow not, read it now) that I am not saying that ALL laptops they roll out will give you this exact scenario I'm in, but that if u do find yourself in it, you'll be hung out to dry. I am a University student and the said notebook is not entirely mine but I use it very often, more so than the owner and I know everything about it. Like that it's DVD/CDRW drive (which works fine) is on the same IDE channel as the hard drive thus any attempts to play a c.d. and do anything else meaningful results in system crippling. (Who in their right mind still does that? It's just one cable/slot for pete's sake, fit it in!) And that playing any of my games means its strictly a desktop (unless you want roasted laps - try 55C). I understand that you're in a corporate environment, even the worst companies will attend to their biggest costumers while dutifully ignoring the small fry like me. Afterall, he bought only one sad. Oh, and where did you get those ridiculous reliability figures from? shocked Please don't say the Z word. My point is this: where is the local support or the money value of what I'm buying?

As for Sun Tzu, no, my passport is with me and has never been stamped. And I would happily open my own company AND hire Nigerians if I was in the position to grin, our people a good at many things. About the issue at hand, however, I never said that other laptops don't have issues. But if I was in UK or US. or France or South Africa, Dell, Acer, H.P or Gateway, e.t.c would have attended to me better than Zinox currently have. And there is no denying that fact. I am a complete computer geek and know my stuff (ATi's new HD 4800 series, anyone?) and read reviews of products online regularly (checking prices afterwards - try newegg.com) and I can say that ZINOX SUPPORT IS AWFUL AND THEIR COMPUTERS ARE THE LEAST VALUE FOR MONEY SYSTEMS I'VE SEEN ANYWHERE). (would've have mentioned Apple or Sony but with them you get style [most of the time] and awesome screens). On the last bit, If Zinox is listed on the stock exchange I might actually buy their stock, but only as long as there are enough people like you to keep them afloat. (Which believe it or not is NOT a happy thought)

+1
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by aparo(m): 4:48pm On Jul 18, 2008
LAPTOPS Hmmmmm,
I would tell you all about Laptops, though they are called notebooks these days. I have been selling repairing and using laptops since 1999. I am an advanced user of these invaluable assets and have had over 7 brands for personal use. Right now, I have 3 brands. What is my point. I know about these issue more than the ever day user. There are many reasons why you cannot expect your Zinox notebook to perform as nicely as an HP Nx series or a Toshiba Satellite. These notebooks have been out there and test and supported for long. The user experience has added quality to each new release. For instance, the HP Compaq which still exist as the business notebook option on hp site, has changed in its latency for power. In retrospect, like 2004, your compaq continually took charge on the battery even when at 100% charge; That has changed. In lenovo, which started out as IBM, you hybernate it for months and you risk losing the Toshiba hdd which came by default. Note that most serious notebook makers include a Toshiba Hdd. I am not talking models (i.e. not 3220 vs 3230), I am talking about the makers and the series for instance, a 2000 series be it 2200dv or 2310dc there are very much the same components. But for a Zinox, the much I have seen of it at Ministry of Information, it is frail to hold and the resolution couldnt run Battle Realms. It is poor on graphics, very poor and it is expensive for its range. I would advice you to go for HP and not pavillion cos that is not supported in Nigeria.

@Seun
You battery could have been ruined by the frequency of power, i.e. Quality of supply of PHCN (Nepa) power which we have found out could be very disparate and injurious to sensitive equipment. If you put a fluke meter in your power source, you would be horrified by the readings. If you can afford it, put a ups between the charger and PHCN.
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by porkpie(m): 4:21pm On Jul 24, 2008
There is something that realy bother's me about Zinox System! I had the system made in Nigeria but what i saw on the panel is made in china. ever try shift+6 for naira sign you will shock @ d result. my broda make we give our made in computer three gbosa. who is fooling who? ma word of encouragement to dis people is to try and pooll all their resources into research in other to come up with a trully made in Naija system afterall Jp, Cn, Malay all started like this. even India. given the level of technology today i believe they should be able to come up with a supa komputa. good Stan
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by digitalman: 3:12pm On Jul 29, 2008
if the local companies/ or freign can not make better their products before selling them, NIGERIANS have the right to abandon demm. Unless they are giving it out free for test! period. my dear
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by zuky123: 11:53am On Aug 01, 2008
I have used a Zinox laptop for 4 years and I dont have problems with it. I am surprised that a Nigerian product has turned out to be very reliable. One ugly incidence would not be enough to condemn a product.This is technology. It cannot be perfect. Have you not heard of Sony withdrawing thousands of products because of a defect? Once in a while every product, Made in America or Nigeria could have a problem.
For me I believe that it is my patriotic duty to support the growth of Nigerian technology. The Chinese are exporting cars today because Chinese overtime supported the growth of Chinese technology. Haba! Which one Naija dey?
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by norri: 11:50pm On Jan 28, 2010
I've read through many of the posts on this forum with tremendous interest. I sit at home in the United Kingdom on my Toshiba laptop with a Dell computer in my office. I have a Zanussi washing machine in my kitchen along with a Panasonic microwave oven. Virtually nothing in my house is made in Britain.

United Kingdom makes nothing. Our manufacturing industry is on the decline. We were once the proud nation of the industrial revolution; now our coal mining is non-existent, our steel industry is seeping out abroad and even the car manufacturers are American or Japanese.

A bit like the oil industry in Nigeria isn't it?

All owned by foreign companies, yet Nigerians want a slice of the action and will kidnap to make their point.

The truth is the economy of Great Britain is in decline. We have been in the deepest recession since the 1940’s. We were one of the first countries to go into recession and one of the last to come out. It could be argued that we still haven’t emerged. For decades now the economies of Germany and Far East Asia have overtaken ours. Even China and India are rapidly catching up with ours. These countries manufacture. They produce goods. Great Britain doesn’t anymore.

Doesn’t this tell you something?

Companies like Zinox may not be perfect. They may well be assemblers only. But their business is in Nigeria, trying to produce something for Nigeria and aid the Nigerian economy. If a company waited until they had the perfect product before releasing it onto the market, they could wait forever. So yes, by all means complain about the product if you find it less than perfect. This way they can improve on the product. But also support them as they strive to make the Nigerian economy grow.

It is easy to look selfishly at the fact that the computer brought is not ideal. After all a lot of hard earned cash has been spent on it. But taking the personal out of the equation, supporting companies like Zinox is helping the Nigerian economy to grow and in the long term this is helping the future of Nigeria.

So why, as a UK citizen do I take such an interest in what is happening in Nigeria?

Six years ago I worked in Ibadan on the construction of a tobacco factory. Another foreign investment. It was a fascinating visit and I have developed a great deal of contacts since. I now believe in the Nigerian government’s policy of making the nation one of the top twenty technological nations by the year 2020.

Companies such as Zinox are driving that ambition forward and who knows, perhaps by the year 2020 the Nigerian economy may have outgrown that of the United Kingdom.
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:53am On Jan 29, 2010
bull. supporting crapware in d name of support nigeria is nonsense talk.*look not long ago made in naija products were good and sold better e.g textiles. now u see crooks making substandard stuff n u tell me to buy still? either u know little about the nigerian business man psyche or ur deceiving urself. the product WILL NOT IMPROVE. rather the more he sells the more he looks 4 ways to cut corners and improve profits. as long as the products can be better then it should be better. there are quality templates 2 work on. the best experience is other peoples experience. besides how can the pc be more expensive by that much? the imported ones are bought wit forex at a cost shipped then sold at a profit markup not less than 30 percent. so how can ASSEMBLING be more expensive. no rd or other costs to deal with! greed. besides those coys are heavily indebted. i save their asses all the time.
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by dayooye(m): 11:06pm On Jan 29, 2010
poor support, had similar pro, cant download drivers, de suck, angry angry angry angry angry
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by DECOtech(m): 1:34am On Sep 22, 2014
@Op; your friend went to a roadside store and bought a scrap laptop that wasn't properly refurbished and all you have done is to come to NL to garner support to tear down someone else's business. If zinox computers are that bad, Pls manufacture yours. We'll buy.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by maxibrainz: 7:02am On Sep 22, 2014
New Core i7 Zinox Laptops for sale
SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
hard disk = 300gb
ram. = 4gb
processor = 2.8ghz Intel processor
Battery capacity. = 5hrs
it uses windows 8, has Bluetooth, webcam,DVD
rom and WiFi
PRICE: #50,000
call or add me on Whatsap using 08126609722 for
your orders, order now before it runs out of stock

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by nazzyon(m): 7:23am On Sep 30, 2014
Although Zinox Technologies has gone a long way from the way their products were when they first started. What I think they need to do to improve is to seek for the opinion of consumer and apply some to improve their system.

Every manufacturer does that....

Zinox has been in the business for quite some time.

They just to take few more steps to catch with the competition.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by okoligee: 6:27am On Nov 17, 2017
ZINOX IS PRACTICAL FRAUD. I WANT NIGERIA TO MAKE LAPTOP MAIN BOARD N BUY OTHER COMPONENT LIKE HDD RAM SCREEN BUT ZINOX IS NOT GIVE GOOD ITEM TO PPL LIKE HP DO
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by ahless(m): 7:10am On Nov 17, 2017
klez:
Why Won't Spend A Kobo On A Zinox

angry - Actually that's not entirely accurate - I won't even take one if offered for free. (At least I would hesitate to take it). I have been using this N132,000 (yes it was a freaking lot for a Pentium M 1.6ghz, 256mb ram 40gb, DVD/CDRW, 15" in February 2007! But the owner bought it without seeking other info first) rather regularly for some time. I thought should vent my anger and frustration and also warn anyone who's reading of what you expect when you behave stupidly "patriotic"

Well first and foremost the build quality is awful, the thing creaks every time I carry it with one hand, the palm rests and touchpad buttons have faded from not upto 7mths total use. The thing was awfully slow when it arrived (with Win XP Starter Edition for Africa - seriously why do they insult us so?) and upon upgrading to XP Professional, I couldn't find drivers anywhere, not on their site or on the cd it shipped with, had to go to the originel oem chassis manufacturer to get drivers! The screen colours are off, my 7yrs old desktop monitor has better colour. The bios is archiac (it doesn't supply enough info to the OS), and the heat management, for such low-end components, is abysmal. It fries my legs everytime I play Enemy engaged or age of mythology. Some parts actually like they're going to deform. That's just sad.

The only thing i t had going for it was battery life, it used to last nearly 4hrs on a charge with screen brightness turned down and Wifi off. But now that's also gone, the laptop now lasts only 1hr 45mins or thereabouts ( after chopping over 2hrs of electricity to charge!!??@). Ubuntu show me the battery is at 39 % capacity meaning that 60% of the cell died within a year. WHAT!!!! How's that for build quality. Patriotic my ***. I'd won't buy any Zinox even recommend it to anybody. If you have substantial reason or proof to shift this view of mine, please present. Seriously, this thing was a rip off.

You got the fake one a friend of mine is presently using the core i7 version
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by Neozy(m): 8:11am On Jan 08, 2018
Seun:
I think my HP laptop now lasts about 8 minutes on a full charge, It's not made in Nigeria. How about that?
chai, this one weak me o.
Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by Neozy(m): 8:19am On Jan 08, 2018
ahless:

You got the fake one a friend of mine is presently using the core i7 version
They improved overtime. He was talking about 2008 and you are talking about 2017.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Zinox Laptop by halaqasa: 11:25pm On Jul 04, 2022
E Be many things

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Latest Free Browsing Trick Using Airtel With This Edited Simple Server Config / How To Create A Short Name For Your Facebook Profile, Group, Fans Page Etc / USA Grade One Laptops.amazing Deals, Rush In!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.