Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,044 members, 7,845,409 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM (27497 Views)

Senator Yerima: "Biafra Struggle Is Legitimate" - Daily Times / Lai Mohammed And Senator Godswill Akpabio Pictured Together / Letter To President Buhari Warns Against EFCC Boss Lamorde And Senator Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Paschal007: 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2013
Mustay:

Methinks the disdain for Yerima has beclouded some people's judgement. Some are even saying he's less educated ( Yerima has a Masters in Economics), he married an Egyptian girl (which he has denied) etc. From some comments I have read here, arguing is just a waste of time. The thing with a lot of us is joining an unnecessary bandwagon instead of reading and researching issues critically. This man is not a foolish man, until we chill come analyse the issues in perspective, the hate on him will just be a waste of emotions.

who told you he didn't marry the underage Egyptian girl? I'm sure you didn't even watch the video.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Sagamite(m): 4:24pm On Sep 06, 2013
lertee: If poverty is eradicated or alleviated in nigeria,issues of giving out a child to an old man for marriaage would stop.
A man that has the ability to train his daughter through school and as well as provide her basic needs would not be intimidated by a rich man who wants his girl in exchange for money.
The origin of this problem is “poverty” people like yerima are just opportunists.

The issue their is that the early marriage reinforces the circle of poverty and backwardness, hence slowing down or even risking the chance of ever leaving the poverty.

When you have girl-child not going to school, it lowers your ability to reach your potential as a society because it lowers the learning opportunities of the future children.

For one, it limits the mother's potential of being a high earner and hence provide the best for the child.

Two, the mother cannot help the child with school work or pass on much intellectual knowledge.

Three, the type of men that exploit such moronic approach to life are frequently illiterate and/or physically abusive, hence cannot provide for the number of wives they pick.

The mother plays a fundamental part in child nurturing, more so and worse still if the father is in a polygamous setting. People from such families of child-brides are more likely to remain in poverty than those that are not.

The world is accelerating NOW, it would not be waiting for those that are slow or impeded in catching up. This is virtually their last call and last chance to change. They are already about 100 years behind their counterparts in the South of Nigeria. If they don't change their leaders from cretins like Yerima to people like Sanusi, they will rot in that poverty.

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Imhotep007(m): 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2013
Nigeria, we have a problem.

A key member of the second arm of government has made the the right to be a paedophile his priority instead of finding solutions to myriad of problems that plague Nigeria. How in the name of anything good can anyone with functional reasoning faculty, claim a child has the ability to decide on marriage and deal with the attendant situations that accompany it when adults who are more matured find it difficult to do. He mentioned a few times the age of consent in the US which by the way is between 16 and 18 in all states with age difference between partners not more than three years.

Anything over three years gets the older partner charged with statutory rape resulting in jail time AND a place on the sex offenders register for life. Hopefully this debate wil make parents understand that they have a responsibility to educate their children and not see them as a get out of poverty card.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Mustay(m): 5:02pm On Sep 06, 2013
Paschal007:

who told you he didn't marry the underage Egyptian girl? I'm sure you didn't even watch the video.

I Didn't Marry My Driver's Egyptian Daughter- Yerima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AOY4rb3UkQ&sa=X&ei=1_wpUuTNLOnZ4ATY8oDwCA&ved=0CAoQqwQ&nomobile=1&hl=en-GB&guid=&client=mv-google&gl=NG
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Sagamite(m): 5:08pm On Sep 06, 2013
Imhotep007: Nigeria, we have a problem.

A key member of the second arm of government has made the the right to be a paedophile his priority instead of finding solutions to myriad of problems that plague Nigeria. How in the name of anything good can anyone with functional reasoning faculty, claim a child has the ability to decide on marriage and deal with the attendant situations that accompany it when adults who are more matured find it difficult to do. He mentioned a few times the age of consent in the US which by the way is between 16 and 18 in all states with age difference between partners not more than three years.

Anything over three years gets the older partner charged with statutory rape resulting in jail time AND a place on the sex offenders register for life. Hopefully this debate wil make parents understand that they have a responsibility to educate their children and not see them as a get out of poverty card.

He is not evening claiming the child has that ability.

He is claiming the Quran gives him and her father a divine right to marry her off. Fck her ability to decide. That was also the argument of the person that calls himself professor.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by coogar: 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2013
bskyb: .
dont you think you can make your arguments without calling using direspectful words like pissing..... yes , I agree they may not have VVF , but that is because they will have CS (caesarian section). Dont you think there is something wrong with that.....It just means they are not prepared for child birth. What I have written on this issue are things that I know first hand. I dont need to blow my trumpet.

Lastly, Please argue without abuse. Thanks

how's pissing in the wind constitutes to insult? all ye bush men sef? VVF is a poverty disease, you people should stop propagating myths or misinformation cooked in a beer parlour. child marriage has nothing to do VVF. teenagers also impregnate themselves in nigeria - should we blame child marriage for that as well?

i fail to see what your business is in what alhaji ibrahim decides to do with his daughter? his own daughter, his own religion, his own prerogative. nigerians are just hypocrites acting like child marriage is the bane of all nigeria's problems. why is VVF not prevalent in the south west especially lagos where female kids often get impregnated by their male counterparts in school?

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by flakkylegend(f): 5:35pm On Sep 06, 2013
The issue of child marriage is not smthn that should be seen from the religious point of view. If we say girls develop and get matured at different ages we are right but in order to prevent child right infringement there has to be a law which must be based on a common ground hence the law needs to state an age at which under normal circumstances the child should av developed in all areas physically, mentally etc. The law should not be ambiguous. As a Muslim you have to obey the laws of the place you live in so far it is not a sin. at least the Quran or the bible dnt mention a particular age of marriage. some ppl will ague that the prophet married Aisha at 9 some will say Joseph married Marry at 13 or 14. pls I ask you does this look like 620 AC or like the time of Jesus or Mohammed. I am sure thns were not as complicated as this, probably no VVF or they just didnt know what it was. we should not be sentimental every religion promotes the welfare of the people not the other way round
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by ThaProphet(m): 5:40pm On Sep 06, 2013
It is a damn shame that a lot of Nigerians are ignorant of the Nigerian constitution about marriage. While I share Stella's passion and emotion, she falls into that category herself.

The truth is that going by the Nigerian Constitution, Yerima did not contravene the law. The corrupt Nigerian Constitution actually permits Muslims to carry out their marriage customarily without interference from the country's general law. In other words, the Constitution (and other instruments such as the Child Rights Act etc.) ordinarily states that 18 should be the minimum age for marriage.....HOWEVER (a big however), this does not apply to marriages conducted under Islamic/Sharia/Customary laws. Read the Nigerian constitution(Nigerian Constitution, 1999, Section 277)it is stated there. That is why Yerima was confident that under 18 marriage is not a crime in Nigeria and to this he mentioned during this programme..."Take the issue to the courts and test the law" or something like that.

So, ladies and gentlemen, we actually do live in the Islamic Republic of Nigeria lol. The constitution actually gives special rights to marriages conducted under sharia law and that is reflected in Yerima and Akintola's repeated "under Islamic law argument"

If we really care about the evils of child marriage, we should be strongly calling for a complete review and eventual redraft of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Stop following the #childnotbride bandwagon.

Here is an article that expatiates more on this issue: http://thestubbornafrikan./2013/07/30/child-marriage-law-protests-in-nigeria-bandwagonism-bad-journalism-and-the-real-problem/

Peace!
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Okuda(m): 5:42pm On Sep 06, 2013
NL member:

I heard that her father is a poor chauffeur and Yerima married the man's daughter in exchange for a huge sum of money that could significantly better the poor man's lot.
Also, yes, you are correct. the poor child cannot say no to her husband's amorous advances regardless of how physically traumatic those advances are.

According to Muslim sources (Hadith)

When a man calls his wife for sexxual intimacy and she refuses him, thus he spends the night in anger, then the angels curse her until morning.� (Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim, See: Riyad al-Salihin, No. 281

^^ crap quotation from whatever source^^
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by coogar: 5:49pm On Sep 06, 2013
samm: Why is this being argued only in the court of public opinion? Does it mean that the Federal Republic of Nigeria has accepted that this is legal? Where is the attorney general of the Federal republic of Nigeria?

We are arguing about the constitution on TV, nairaland, twitter, Facebook when we have offices appointed to clarify all laws. So when the dust settles....then what?

the nigerian constitution messed up when they allowed some states in the north to practise sharia. stella damasus argued nigeria isn't a secular country - she's right. however, yerima is from a sharia state which technically means zamfara is an islamic state. the law in zamfara permits them to marry underaged children.

what yerima is doing might be immoral but it's not illegal!
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 06, 2013
Okuda:

^^ crap quotation from whatever source^^

Of course its crap. I was trying to show everyone how stuupid muslim beliefs are.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 06, 2013
Why all this rofo rofo fight .. let us break it down to simple FACTS

FACT 1: Yerima and his Supporters covered by their Religion says it is Aye Okay to Marry a girl from the age of 6 upwards and also have sex with her and have a child by her as soon as she sees her first period. It is not up to the young girl who has not grown in knowledge to understand what she wants and how she wants it, damn she has not even seen a p0rny movie to begin with grin

FACT 2: Others disagree, a girl must be given similar educational, growth and parental benefits that boys enjoy (after all you don't find 6yr old boys getting married to 70year old women and getting them pregnant as soon as they get their first hard-0n.

Wetin come be the argument, one is Right the other is arguable grin grin
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by obiamarije7(f): 6:03pm On Sep 06, 2013
i really think this Yerima issue has been over flogged. the man knows exactly what he is doing and has not compelled anyone to give out their kids in marriage at age 13, he used the law cover his tracks n make him look faultless. i really love Stella and her courage but she seem to be deeping herself into DEEP shit.there are ways to deal with pervs like Yerima after all he knew people will speak against him. HE DOESN'T CARE .
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by obiamarije7(f): 6:09pm On Sep 06, 2013
dont you think its weird that all the WOMEN organization and NGOS are quiet? undecided
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by luvmijeje(f): 6:23pm On Sep 06, 2013
This issue really gladdens my heart. The outcry, the rage and the outpour of compassion from Nigerians in support of the girl child was touching.
Whether they like it or not, whether their religion permit it or not, there will come a time every child must be in school and when old enough- a right to choice.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Paschal007: 6:35pm On Sep 06, 2013
Mustay:

I Didn't Marry My Driver's Egyptian Daughter- Yerima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AOY4rb3UkQ&sa=X&ei=1_wpUuTNLOnZ4ATY8oDwCA&ved=0CAoQqwQ&nomobile=1&hl=en-GB&guid=&client=mv-google&gl=NG

I dunno the point you're trying to make here. The first question they asked him was if he married a 13yr old and he answered affirmative.

If you didn't watch the other video how am I to know you watched this one you posted. Again what's your point?
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Sagamite(m): 7:12pm On Sep 06, 2013
NL member:

Of course its crap. I was trying to show everyone how stuupid muslim beliefs are.

As stuupid as Christian one too.

All are a whole load of illogical crap written by illiterate medieval men claiming God dictated to them.

Bollocks!
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by eddiejay: 7:24pm On Sep 06, 2013
people should know that the likes of yerima,boko haram,al-shabab,muslim brotherhood,hamas,hizbollah etc are the real muslims doing the sunna( everything mohamed did),,mohamed the prophet married aisha when she was 6 years old,and consumated the marriage at the age of 9....you can read all the islamic books(koran,tafsir,hadith) on the internet,,
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by sallyzan(f): 7:35pm On Sep 06, 2013
Has yarima married off any of his under aged?
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by OneNaira6: 8:05pm On Sep 06, 2013
kudos to stella. see her demolishing the nigg@.
Asaba girls no dey carry last. lol

Anyway as far I'm concerned, Yerima is getting off easy. men like him needs to locked up for life or shot.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by 9japrides: 8:16pm On Sep 06, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 06, 2013
Sagamite:

As stuupid as Christian one too.

All are a whole load of illogical crap written by illiterate medieval men claiming God dictated to them.

Bollocks!

True. Both religions are obstacles to national and intellectual progress.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by micdmic: 9:24pm On Sep 06, 2013
which is worse in encouraging homosexuality and giving your child out in marriage early.i believe you know the religion that suports homosexuality.please leave Islam for muslims...
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 06, 2013
micdmic: which is worse in encouraging homosexuality and giving your child out in marriage early.i believe you know the religion that suports homosexuality.please leave Islam for muslims...

now that is a religion that cares more about its men than her furniture.. get blown up and have 70 virgins and if you suck at blowing yourself up, get a 6yr old girl to satisfy you uncircumcised woody.. all this while still beating your girl-friend and wife for sexual kicks and killing them (honorably) when they decide they want to resist you.. Islam is the Life I tell ya
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Sagamite(m): 10:35pm On Sep 06, 2013
sally zan: Has yarima married off any of his under aged?

Only if he is not busy sexually molesting them.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by tonididdy(m): 10:56pm On Sep 06, 2013
serator...check me at now...i knorr fyne

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by zealed64: 11:07pm On Sep 06, 2013
tonididdy: serator...check me at now...i knorr fyne

no mind the mumu....see wetin the man dey miss!!..choi!!
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 06, 2013
neither the muslim harvard doctoral candidate lawyer in boston nor the camp of the lagos professor blindly fighting against norm along with the senator who is tunnel visioned is correct based on The Quran or the implementation of it by Sunnah or Hadith. each group focused solely on a narrow strip of a very wide boulevard.

reaching puberty alone is not what defines the minimum age for marriage in Islam. what is marriage marriage consists the physical and mental. what applies to woman applies to man. man is not always the victim holding the short end of the stick because he has the ace card of pronouncement of divorce while the woman may wish to hang on still. our concern should therefore be about woman protection; entering marriage willing without be forced or deceived [cajoled, coasted] into to do so without her personal interest or benefit as number 1 and not understanding or ready for the duties and/or lacking the mental rigor that it demands.

so the minimum entry stage to reach therefore is puberty [physiology] on one hand coupled with mental maturity [emotional wisdom]. the emotional wisdom outweighs the puberty in the sense that reaching puberty alone can not qualify anyone suddenly becoming marriage worthy, even though categorized as adult because of the signs of puberty.

let me say that one needs to look at other so called monotheistic religion to realize that Islam with the mental qualification prepares man or woman better for the institution of matrimony. what am i saying here, regardless of what the muslims are doing, which may actually be different from what Islam prescribes?

in the lives of the children of Israel's Mosaic law alone without its interpretation by the rabbis, young and immature as he was not yet 13 years old David qualified to fight goliath, because of mental maturity by passing the litmus test of 'drinking water from the well', in manner expected of seasoned warrior while much older people failed this test.

the period of the 'jewish' religion instead of continuing with the religion of the time of Moses, to correct the wrong of the children of Israel by bringing them from 'judaism' into the original religion of Moses, young girl Mary was made miraculously pregnant as a sign of great event to see and great was what finally came out of it. Mary was practically an underage woman who was putting her first monthly period behind her. in both situations of David and Mary we all know how great these Miracles of God were.

Stella Damascus being a non muslim has her christian right and if she wants part of it obliterated by national law, fine. I am sure she will not like it if she is told not to marry in christian tradition or read the Bible, assuming she agrees that churches may not be erected. Stella can't argue blindly almost through the conversation as she did. she must be sensitive to the religious right of others regardless of how foreign they may be to her.

at the end of the day, i think the senator bamboozled the parents of the young girl, who is now forced to juggled together two institutions; motherhood with education. each by itself demand full time attention at all times. she is a superwoman doing this at this tender age.

from the Quran about mental capability/sound mind in judgement.

And test the orphans [in their abilities] until they reach marriageable age. Then if you perceive in them sound judgement, release their property to them. And do not consume it excessively and quickly, [anticipating] that they will grow up. And whoever, [when acting as guardian], is self-sufficient should refrain [from taking a fee]; and whoever is poor - let him take according to what is acceptable. Then when you release their property to them, bring witnesses upon them. And sufficient is Allah as Accountant.

from Hadith of the prophet [SA]

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him said:

Narrated 'Alqama: "While I was with Abdullah, 'Uthman met him at Mina and said, "O Abu 'Abdur-Rahman ! I have something to say to you." So both of them went aside and 'Uthman said, "O Abu 'Abdur-Rah. man! Shall we marry you to a virgin who will make you remember your past days?" When 'Abdullah felt that he was not in need of that, he beckoned me (to join him) saying, "O 'Alqama!" Then I heard him saying (in reply to 'Uthman), "As you have said that, (I tell you that) the Prophet once said to us, 'O young people (يا معشر الشباب)! Whoever among you is able to marry, should marry, and whoever is not able to marry, is recommended to fast, as fasting diminishes his sexual power. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, BOOK 62: Wedlock, Marriage (Nikaah), Number 3)"

شباب is a plural of both شاب, which means "young man" or a "young grown-up man", and شابة, which means a "young woman" or a "young grown-up woman". شباب is a masculine plural, and in Arabic, these plurals include both the males and females as long as both the males and females are included. They could also refer to only males, but they could never refer to only females. شابات would be the females-only plural of شابة.

Since شباب could definitely be referring to both the males and the females from among the Muslims, and since the context is about marriage, then obviously, the Prophet, peace be upon him, addressed both the men and women, even if the context seems to be pointing mainly at the men (fast to diminish your sexual power). It doesn't exclude the women and the requirement of them being also able to marry, because marriage is a serious lifetime commitment.

Notice how the Prophet of Islam, peace be upon him, talked with the young grown-ups and not to children. A young grown-up can not marry unless he/she is ready:

Physically
Mentally
Emotionally
Psychologically
Financially (especially for the men)
Socially

Notice how the Prophet said: "Whoever among you is able to marry,". He only urged those who are able to marry to go ahead and get married as soon as possible, so that they would fulfill their lives, desires, and remove all loneliness and voids in their lives. Also, in the areas of harvesting, herding cattle, constantly moving for new supplies of water (in the desert), marriage brings a big advantage to both the man and female, because they often work together to harvest, take care of the cattle (sheeps, cows, camels, goats, etc...), and other livestock such as chickens, and protect each others. Plus, they strengthen the society by bringing more children. Waiting for too long to get married, as we do today, was pointless back then, and is also pointless today in these areas and conditions.

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by estellepink(f): 11:35pm On Sep 06, 2013
LOL.LMAO. Stella u rock. Yerima will neva think of improving standard of living for nigerians, na early child marriage him dey talk. If u say its ur religion, then go ahead and practice it amongst urself and not u implementing it for everybody mind u Nigeria is not an islamic state. U guys can go ahead and marry ur children even b4 they are born. Mtcheeeeew arrant nonsense
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by namis007: 12:13am On Sep 07, 2013
what baffles me still is why none of senator yerima's daughter married at 13, abi dem no attract men at their age or their papa cage them? smh
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by lanrezion01: 12:32am On Sep 07, 2013
ProjectSave Devotional
Saturday,
7th, Sept 2013.

THREE IMPORTANT SCHOOLS Pt.3
SCHOOL OF WISDOM- KNOWLEDGE

Pr10:14- Wise men store up KNOWLEDGE...

Knowledge has to do with gathering of information, it is the opposite of ignorance. In the school of wisdom, knowledge can be acquired either through divine impartation, wise counsel, reading or by observation.

Knowledge is the bedrock&starting point in growing in wisdom. The more of knowledge you store, the wiser you become, we can say that knowledge is directly proportional to wisdom provided understanding is constant.

The devotionals you're reading now, the anointed books in the bookstore and the message you hear are all avenues by which knowledge can be imparted. Most Africans don't read, anointing isn't a substitute for knowledge, go for the needed knowledge today.

ACTION: Locate an area of your life where you are knowledge-deficient, buy books that can enlighten you and act on the information.

PRAYER OF SALVATION

'Father, forgive me of my sins, I accept&confess. Christ as my Lord&personal saviour In Jesus Name.

Kindly Broadcast
Like our facebook page: Projectsave
www.projectsaveng.org
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by ogaju007(m): 1:00am On Sep 07, 2013
SHAMELESS MAN using religion to act stupidly.... left to me, the world would be a better place without any religion. As i've always said, this is a good example of a present day man thinking like those of 2000 years ago. Religion truly holds us back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP CHIEF- Bode George Worked For Tinubu / African Leadership Event In Ghana Cancelled After Arrival Of Obi, Other Speakers / Buhari, Osinbajo’s Absence At Slain Soldiers’ Burial Unacceptable - Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.