Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,727 members, 7,831,307 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False (611 Views)

Bible Proof The Rapture Theory Is False / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by engrtee(f): 7:27am On Sep 07, 2013
Is it right to tell people that what they believe in is false

is it right , or lack thereof, of Christians like myself calling other people’s beliefs false. Is it right to do that?

What right do we have calling someone a heretic. I mean nobody is perfect nobody understands the world perfectly. We are all mistaken about something about one thing or another.

It is like the tea pot calling the kettle black if you get my meaning
Re: Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by Kalvan: 7:40am On Sep 07, 2013
engrtee: Is it right to tell people that what they believe in is false

is it right , or lack thereof, of Christians like myself calling other people’s beliefs false. Is it right to do that?

What right do we have calling someone a heretic. I mean nobody is perfect nobody understands the world perfectly. We are all mistaken about something about one thing or another.

It is like the tea pot calling the kettle black if you get my meaning

I'm glad you said the bolded. None of us is completely enlightened, we all have some form of ignorance in us regardless of our intelligence. Socrates was pronounced the wisest man of his Time by the Oracle of Delphi. He disagreed, he went to people he considered wiser than him and asked them Philosophical Questions, and they failed to live up to expectation. Eventually, he realized that the reason he was the Wisest man was because he knew nothing and he accepted that he knew nothing.

It's wrong to call other people's beliefs False. All beliefs are subjective in my Opinion.
Re: Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by Cathaliya: 7:41am On Sep 07, 2013
Do not judge, so that though shall not be judged
Re: Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by ceosville(m): 8:11am On Sep 07, 2013
Nope! it's wrong! It's better Convincing the Person!
Re: Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by frank317: 8:36am On Sep 07, 2013
ceosville: Nope! it's wrong! It's better Convincing the Person!

Convincing the person that what?

I think its just right to point out loopholes and ask for explanation.
Re: Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by quivah(f): 9:03am On Sep 07, 2013
painting other people's religion bad in favour of your own is wrong..
But sometimes I wonder,how then do you convert a person if the person can't see any loopholes in his religion.for example ; You can't just convince me to leave my present hostel without you telling me some reasons I should look at..
What I believe is,however you wanna tell people about their religion dont make it look bad...just tell them the benefits of yours,dont talk about theirs..Jesus came to die for us all,talk about that Jesus alone.… whoever you were able to convert will see things on his/her own afterwards. Mind you,some of them know about the loopholes.they just don't wanna be convinced.
I remember one sunday morning while I was going to church,some muslim brothers in my hostel condemned my religion,the practice and the pastor... some days later,this same guys came to me to tell me about their religion,I listened to them and thought;have read,heard,seen you guys comparative Lessons..you'v compared and contrasted my religion with yours alot,there is no more fun. I'd rather stay with mine,coz there are litte or no more reasons switch to yours.
I call people like this hypocrites,both Christians and Muslims!!
Re: Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by italo: 9:11am On Sep 07, 2013
While it may be wise to be prudent with your words when talking to people of other faiths directly, we must be more plain when talking to those of our own faith. But always with charity and a pure and good intention.

I might not tell a muslim directly that Islam is false, but I will definitely tell it to my children to teach them what I know.

What is false is false, whether we say it or not.
Re: Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by italo: 9:14am On Sep 07, 2013
frank3.16:

Convincing the person that what?

I think its just right to point out loopholes and ask for explanation.

I totally agree.

Questions like: "if Jesus is only a prophet, why does the Bible (which Mohammed told you to believe) call him God?"

That way, I'm not condemning; I'm leaving the judgement to your conscience.
Re: Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by engrtee(f): 12:20pm On Sep 07, 2013
Kalvan:

I'm glad you said the bolded. None of us is completely enlightened, we all have some form of ignorance in us regardless of our intelligence. Socrates was pronounced the wisest man of his Time by the Oracle of Delphi. He disagreed, he went to people he considered wiser than him and asked them Philosophical Questions, and they failed to live up to expectation. Eventually, he realized that the reason he was the Wisest man was because he knew nothing and he accepted that he knew nothing.

It's wrong to call other people's beliefs False. All beliefs are subjective in my Opinion.

100percent agree
Re: Is It Right To Tell People That What They Believe In Is False by engrtee(f): 12:21pm On Sep 07, 2013
ceosville: Nope! it's wrong! It's better Convincing the Person!
whats the difference?

(1) (Reply)

I Sold Two Of My Children @ N100,000 (that Is About 650 Us Dollars) Each / What Is The Meaning Of Heb 10:26-31? / When Animals Die...do Dey Go To Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.