Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,249 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? (30098 Views)

How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
Like the average person, I love a good meal. But today I was thinking about the Nigerian Stew and how it is cooked in the average Nigerian home. Basically, after you have ground your tomatoes, pepper, onion, tatase, etc, you boil it all till " all the water has dried" This takes an average of 1-2 hours. As if this death of all the nutrients this paste may have contained is not enough, we deep fry this paste, in oil ( groundnut oil, vegetable oil) till you have gotten rid of the "raw " taste then the seasoning and spicing may begin after which you have your "delicious stew"
My thoughts are thus - what is the nutritional value of this Stew? and the answer is probably zero health value, maximal cholesterol value.
why do we take perfectly healthy food and turn it into chaff? what is wrong with the taste of raw tomatoes? what is wrong with the water in the tomatoes?

16 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by butterflyy(f): 10:15am On Sep 09, 2013
I really wonder also. Av onced cooked my tomato paste like that with oil on it bt not to fry, and everybody was like, why didnt i let d tomatoes dry. Even though i like that rawness abt it. No one else do, so I now fry and fryyy. Which is so wrong, nutrition wise

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by tjskii(f): 7:13pm On Sep 09, 2013
Pls if therz a better way to cook stew,do share,was so frustrated lastwk,I was superhungry and decided to cook stew,d stupid water took so much time in draining from d pepper,by den I was seeing double from hunger undecided

13 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
tjskii: Pls if therz a better way to cook stew,do share,was so frustrated lastwk,I was superhungry and decided to cook stew,d stupid water took so much time in draining from d pepper,by den I was seeing double from hunger undecided
lolzz...I don't have a better way o. I just try to use little tricks like not adding water when I want to blend the tomato things, or serving fresh tomato Stew

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 09, 2013
Where is the nutrient dying to? Lol. Thats the best way to cook stew. My best time is when my bil and mil calls me on phone to help them with my stew recipe. The one you just described.

Tasty!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by An0nimus: 8:42pm On Sep 10, 2013
Mine takes 15 minutes.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 10, 2013
Because stew is like a foundation for other meals and its like what people will use to judge you if you can cook right cool cool

Also the longer you take to cook the more trust people have in you and the more they would want to eat your food (which is really strange if you ask me)

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by olusola200: 8:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
that question is the women

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by dridowu: 8:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
Mo answer but I just finish eating my eba with efo riro tonight. Thank God for this night

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
na una o.my stew na 20 mins o

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Fussbot: 8:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
well,wen dis type of thread makes front page u already know what TIME it is

32 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by lifestyle1(m): 8:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
That's why we are Nigerians. tongue

we they always over do things....

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by free2ryhme: 8:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
Bludeville: Like the average person, I love a good meal. But today I was thinking about the Nigerian Stew and how it is cooked in the average Nigerian home. Basically, after you have ground your tomatoes, pepper, onion, tatase, etc, you boil it all till " all the water has dried" This takes an average of 1-2 hours. As if this death of all the nutrients this paste may have contained is not enough, we deep fry this paste, in oil ( groundnut oil, vegetable oil) till you have gotten rid of the "raw " taste then the seasoning and spicing may begin after which you have your "delicious stew"
My thoughts are thus - what is the nutritional value of this Stew? and the answer is probably zero health value, maximal cholesterol value.
why do we take perfectly healthy food and turn it into chaff? what is wrong with the taste of raw tomatoes? what is wrong with the water in the tomatoes?

is ur girl friend a learner

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Vivly(f): 8:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
Thats why I prepare a large pot of stew and put in the freezer...

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
nawa oo funny thread

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by agbalej(m): 8:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
Make d stew 4 done well na.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 10, 2013
It has nothing to do with Nigerians taking long and everything to do with tomatoes taking long to cook through. I use tomatoes and red peppers for my stew. No canned anything. So, a long cooking time is inevitable, especially if I'm using a large pot.

If anyone wants quick stew, make them buy ready made stew in a jar. Better yet, blend tomatoes pour am on top rice. If I give you raw tomato sauce, you go chop? undecided

Our food takes long. That's why e sweet die. If I want nutrition, I know where to find it. When I'm making Nigerian food, I make it the way I was taught. No time.

32 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by russianmob27: 8:48pm On Sep 10, 2013
because of the world is coming to an end angry angry very stew-pid post angry angry

23 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Mrniceguyjohn(m): 8:49pm On Sep 10, 2013
guy u realy funny o,, hwmany minute e wnt take me 2 prepare stew kpata kpata 20min don do0o
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nokio1: 8:49pm On Sep 10, 2013
we cook it like that becos thats how Flora Lugard thought us! Off i go b4 am tempted to write ETT!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Harrisonn(m): 8:49pm On Sep 10, 2013
Mine takes 5 minutes grin grin grin

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by 80million1: 8:50pm On Sep 10, 2013
ask Mama Put.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 10, 2013
Looooool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 10, 2013
Lol, I'm cooking stew right now.
I don't boil my tomatoes etc sauce. My mum didn't either or maybe on rare occasions. I don't know why people make it like a do or die affair.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nikapetrelli(f): 8:51pm On Sep 10, 2013
Cook to ur taste den,since u lyk d tomatoes tasting raw,abi d nutritional value is gone

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by J0nyb0y(m): 8:52pm On Sep 10, 2013
Hmm. Its obvious.. End time tnzz.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Kesmakveli(m): 8:52pm On Sep 10, 2013
So it will be perfect, shikina!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Sep 10, 2013
Same reason Americans pour molten cheese on everything they eat. It ain't rocket science. It is just a cultural thing.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 10, 2013
girls talk... ok sha... me na anythin man see , na im he go chop...

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Sep 10, 2013
ogugua88: It has nothing to do with Nigerians taking long and everything to do with tomatoes taking long to cook through. I use tomatoes and red peppers for my stew. No canned anything. So, a long cooking time is inevitable, especially if I'm using a large pot.

If anyone wants quick stew, make them buy ready made stew in a jar. Better yet, blend tomatoes pour am on top rice. If I give you raw tomato sauce, you go chop? undecided

Our food takes long. That's why e sweet die. If I want nutrition, I know where to find it. When I'm making Nigerian food, I make it the way I was taught. No time.
GBAM!!! This is as simple as ABC. If you don't want your stew to taste like raw tomato sauce, then be prepared to spend hours on it.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 10, 2013
Op that stew you described is Sunday stew. When you are starving you don't try such. How about the stew that uses just fresh pepper, fresh tomato, panla fish, Onions and Iru. It only takes a maximum of 10 minutes and i bet Ofada stew doesn't take long either.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 10, 2013
The other day we saw a thread complaining about fast food being unhealthy. Now slow food has dead nutrients. I just confuse.

40 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian State Bans Consumption Of Coke, Fanta, Sprite At Its Events / Foods You Love To Eat But Can't Anymore Since You Found Out How They're Made / Can You Eat This Dried Tomatoes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.