Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' (14211 Views)

NSCDC Arrests Two With Fake Naira Note (photos) / Seven Youths Gang-rape Trader In Alaba Market / Robbers Kill Traders At Alaba Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by jayjam(m): 9:55pm On Sep 09, 2013
A DVD seller is now in police custody at Ilasan Division, Lekki, Eti-Osa , southwest Nigeria, over unlawful possession of N15,000 fake N1000 notes.

Chinedu Oneli, 37, after his arrest allegedly confessed to the police that he buys fake naira notes at Alaba International Market, Ojo, Lagos, and surreptitiously exchanges same for original notes through bus conductors and traders.

According to the police, nemesis caught up with the suspect, who claimed to be from Imo State, southeast Nigeria, when he went to buy a tin of milk with one of the fake N1,000 note at a shop owned by a woman at Jakande Estate, First Gate , Lekki, Lagos.

The trader, it was gathered, discovered that the N1,000 note the suspect brought out to pay for the tin of milk was fake.

And while pretending to be looking for change for Oneli, she allegedly informed some youths in the area about the development.

The youths were said to have confronted the suspect but the suspect simply took to his heels. He was pursued and caught by the youths.

During a search, N15,000 fake N1,000 notes were found in his possession and the youth dragged him to the nearest police station.

During interrogation at the station, the suspect allegedly confessed to that he bought the fake currency notes at Alaba Market, Ojo, Lagos.

Oneli allegedly told the police: " I am a DVD cassette seller at Alaba International Market, Ojo, Lagos and I also buy fake N1,000 notes from Zida Ozegba, a trader at Alaba market. I have been doing the business since 2010. Zida normally sells N8,000 fake notes for original N1,000 and N16, 000 fake notes for original N2,000.

" I exchange the fake notes for original naira through bus conductors and traders. I will board vehicles and give the conductors N1000 fake notes for a journey of N100 and they will give me N900 change. Before I move around Lagos the whole day, I must have finished spending the whole fake notes in my possession and make enough profit."

After investigation, the suspect was charged before a Tinubu Magistrate's court on a one count charge of possession of fake currency notes.

The offence, the prosecutor, Sgt. Ighodalo Daniel said, contravened section 363g of the criminal laws of Lagos state, 2011.

The accused pleaded not guilty to the charge and Magistrate Mrs. Pinhero admitted him on bail in the sum of N100,000 with two sureties in like sum.

She adjourned the matter till 17 October, 2013 for mention. The defendant was taken to Ikoyi Prisons pending when he will fulfill the bail conditions.

--Paul Iyoghojie

http://.mobi/output.php?id=11779
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by MayorofLagos(m): 11:21pm On Sep 09, 2013
Obi, get ready, another one coming through for reunion. grin

Are there no Ibo elders in Lagos to call these guys to order and save them from collective embarassments?

16 Likes

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Nobody: 11:44pm On Sep 09, 2013
they usually come to lagos with a nylon bag and leave with millions... cheesy cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by T8ksy(m): 12:25am On Sep 10, 2013
And yet another "hardworking ibo businessman" caught pants down.

6 Likes

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Ngwakwe: 3:49am On Sep 10, 2013
1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail
or tribalize threads.

I am yet to know what points the previous posters are trying to convey, can we condemn this criminal act with a strongest possible term.

I am from South East, Nigeria, I have never given or exchanged fake note / currency though I have received loads of them comprising N500 and N1000 denominations through my Sales Reps and cashier that have fallen victim of these fraudsters, yet I have never been tempted to exchange them in any circumstance.

Let's avoid associating this criminal behaviour with any tribe rather a universal vice that should be fought against and discouraged using every possible means, even the vendor according to the article is not from South East.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by MayorofLagos(m): 4:16am On Sep 10, 2013
Ngwakwe: 1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail
or tribalize threads.

I am yet to know what points the previous posters are trying to convey, can we condemn this criminal act with a strongest possible term.

I am from South East, Nigeria, I have never given or exchanged fake note / currency though I have received loads of them comprising N500 and N1000 denominations through my Sales Reps and cashier that have fallen victim of these fraudsters, yet I have never been tempted to exchange them in any circumstance.

Let's avoid associating this criminal behaviour with any tribe rather a universal vice that should be fought against and discouraged using every possible means, even the vendor according to the article is not from South East.

Ngwakwe,

Why do ibos have leaders in Lagos and allow the image of your nationality to be tarnished by unscrupulous elements? Its not an individual racket, its a syndicate network oprrating in Alaba market. As long people like this put money above tribe and they are cheered, ibo collectively will bear the brunt of the insult.

11 Likes

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Tolexander: 4:25am On Sep 10, 2013
The accused pleaded
not guilty
to the charge and Magistrate
Mrs. Pinhero admitted him on
bail
in the sum of N100,000 with
two
sureties in like sum.
the N100,000 should better be checked well to avoid being paid in a fake bill.

Alaba market and its piracy. Pirating nigerian bill!

3 Likes

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Akpaife(m): 4:44am On Sep 10, 2013
Good 4 him
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by YoshiMaster: 4:46am On Sep 10, 2013
Save money, live better, Walmart.

Cowbell, Our milk.

There're some things money can't buy, for everything else, there's MasterCard.

MTN, Everywhere you go.

Glo, Rule your world.

Etisalat, 0809ja for life.

Union Bank, big, strong, reliable.

Visa, accepted everywhere.

Alaba International Market, selling fake products since 1978.

13 Likes

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Ngwakwe: 5:19am On Sep 10, 2013
You mean that I should stoop so low to generalising and profiling a people for crime of few individuals that are not representative of the people nor prevalent with them but universal.

Every tribe including yours have innumerable bad eggs but what matters is how the immediate community renounces, condemns and punishes such people among them.

Can you cite any reference were Igbo traders anywhere in the world have sided with a criminal who happens to be one of their own?

On the issue of how Igbos in Lagos State decides to organise themselves and live their lives is none of your business.

If you don't mind can you take your obsession about the Igbos in South West to where the sun doesn't shine.

Mayor_of_Lagos:

Ngwakwe,

Why do ibos have leaders in Lagos and allow the image of your nationality to be tarnished by unscrupulous elements? Its not an individual racket, its a syndicate network oprrating in Alaba market. As long people like this put money above tribe and they are cheered, ibo collectively will bear the brunt of the insult.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by chigodo(m): 7:10am On Sep 10, 2013
Don't mind these people that can never think properly,we've heard cases where yoruba boys were involved in terrorist activities in USA and in London and nobody generalised it that yorubas are terrorists because we understand that they are just the bad eggs among them but they are the ones that will easily generalise any single thing that happens to an ibo man.........*very biased set of people*

Ngwakwe: 1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail
or tribalize threads.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by gratiaeo(m): 7:47am On Sep 10, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: Obi, get ready, another one coming through for reunion. grin

Are there no Ibo elders in Lagos to call these guys to order and save them from collective embarassments?
Bigot! You have already tribalize the thread

1 Like

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by gratiaeo(m): 7:58am On Sep 10, 2013
N8000 fake with original
n1000? How much gain is the
printer making?
This new na fake joor, unless if
the suspect is not telling †ђξ
truth

2 Likes

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by MayorofLagos(m): 8:13am On Sep 10, 2013
Ngwakwe: You mean that I should stoop so low to generalising and profiling a people for crime of few individuals that are not representative of the people nor prevalent with them but universal.

Every tribe including yours have innumerable bad eggs but what matters is how the immediate community renounces, condemns and punishes such people among them.

Can you cite any reference were Igbo traders anywhere in the world have sided with a criminal who happens to be one of them?

On the issue of how Igbos in Lagos State decides to organise themselves and live their lives is none of your business.

If you don't mind can you take your obsession about the Igbos in South West to where the sun doesn't shine.

In everything else and in everyway you are proud of Alaba. You cannot define their gain as ibo ingenuity but then run away from their failure as individual criminality. This money laundry syndicate is part of Alaba ingenuity - the much touted igbo industrialization of producing and circulating fake and substandard products.

Your action is even worse than that of a money launderer.
Cover your face in shame!

7 Likes

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by feelamong(m): 8:33am On Sep 10, 2013
Crassus: they usually come to lagos with a nylon bag and leave with millions... cheesy cheesy

yes naa... Get Rich or die trying!

all na hustling naa!! grin
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by gratiaeo(m): 9:09am On Sep 10, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos: Obi, get ready, another one coming through for reunion. grin

No there are only Yoruba elders in Lagos

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Nobody: 9:35am On Sep 10, 2013
Ah sharp guy grin
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by kizito047(m): 9:37am On Sep 10, 2013
I had d same xperience last wk in alaba
ENd tym tinz

1 Like

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Leorichy: 9:39am On Sep 10, 2013
Plenty day for the thief,one day for the police.
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Deiok(m): 9:39am On Sep 10, 2013
Hmmm... Just imagine the amount of money he will be making weekly through this means.
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by alaoeri: 9:40am On Sep 10, 2013
Our brother from the land of the rising sun.

3 Likes

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Agimor(m): 9:42am On Sep 10, 2013
One word Tribalist
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by funtanherb(m): 9:43am On Sep 10, 2013
We are not bias but as a sociologist what your tribe is experiencing today is a as a result of sterotype and prejudice however every yoruba man out there should always learn to judge according to ones culture and norms and not our own culture,every individual has its personal traits .....
chigodo: Don't mind these people that can never think properly,we've heard cases where yoruba boys were involved in terrorist activities in USA and in London and nobody generalised it that yorubas are terrorists because we understand that they are just the bad eggs among them but they are the ones that will easily generalise any single thing that happens to an ibo man.........*very biased set of people*

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by dridowu: 9:45am On Sep 10, 2013
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by jude33084(m): 9:47am On Sep 10, 2013
gratiaeo: N8000 fake with original
n1000? How much gain is the
printer making?
This new na fake joor, unless if
the suspect is not telling †ђξ
truth

I thought same bro undecided
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by borntobegr8t(m): 9:48am On Sep 10, 2013
Before I open this thread,something jus told me it Wud be an IGBO......SOMETHING was right

6 Likes

Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Odunharry(m): 9:48am On Sep 10, 2013
100,000 is too small nw,he has bn doing ds business for a long tym nw...whch means he has duped many innocent citizen especially d poor traders n conductors trying hard to feed...
Abeg make dm charge am 1m.
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Odunharry(m): 9:52am On Sep 10, 2013
spongeback: Ah sharp guy grin
u call that sharp?na pipu sweat im dy use feed o....d guy is hrtless,if na politicians dem e dupe lyk ds i 4 no talk bt poor citizens tryng to make a living..

A day if him no make mney e go make pass 5k..
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by gen2briz(m): 9:53am On Sep 10, 2013
ETT
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by Vivly(f): 9:54am On Sep 10, 2013
Naija and stereotype. If it had been someone from one of the minor ethnic groups, mouths for shut..
Re: 'I Bought Fake Naira Notes From Alaba Market' by mermaidkingdom: 9:56am On Sep 10, 2013
What has obi done to u( mayor of lagos)? u are claiming lagosian while u are a tenant in ur state"basterd.if you don't take time i will bane u from this site ewu".take de risk if u have de heart of a lion".we are a hustler that is why we owned 90%of flashi cars and investment in ur lagos"one nigeria"

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

₦10.9 Billion Fraud: Court Jails Ex-Finbank MD, Nwosu, Three Others / Benjamin Onwuka Reappears, Remanded In Prison / NDLEA Arrests Two Brothers With Cocaine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.