Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,797 members, 7,827,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina (7609 Views)

Graphic Photos: Boko Haram Members Killed As Military Clears More Of Their Camps / Photo: Police Woman Reportedly Collapsed Today At A Polling Unit In Abeokuta / 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by steg0miah: 5:51pm On Sep 10, 2013
Katsina  – No fewer than 23 persons were feared killed in multiple crashes, when their vehicles plunged into a collapsed bridge at Yar’randa village in Charanchi Local Government Area of Katsina State.

The first crash involved a bus conveying 24 passengers which plunged into the bridge few minutes after its collapse on Monday night.

According to the witness, the bridge collapsed at about 9.30p.m. due to heavy downpour and moments after the bus with registration number XA 328 KZR, conveying passengers from Kano to Katsina, fell into the bridge.

The villagers said efforts made to alert the bus driver was to no avail as he was on high speed.

The bus and the passengers were swept by the heavy current and some of the dead bodies were recovered miles away in Ajiwa area, the villagers and officials told NAN.

NAN also gathered that only two of the passengers in the bus, including a student of Federal College of Education, Bichi in Kano state, survived the incident.

The student, Jamilu Aminu-Elder, who was seen at the scene, could not speak to NAN as he was still in shock.

The police said 10 bodies had been recovered and deposited at the mortuary of General Hospital, Kankia while the search for 12 others was ongoing.

Similarly, another person was reported dead when the vehicle he was in, a Mitsubishi truck, fell into the water at about 5.00a.m. on Tuesday.

Two other persons in the vehicle however survived, while a motorcycle rider with a passenger, who also plunged into the collapsed bridge were rescued alive.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Bala Senchi, who visited the scene, confirmed the story, but said the police were not clear on the number of death as the search for the missing passengers was still on.

He said policemen had been deployed to the area to control traffic and prevent further accident at the scene.

Malam Rabi’u Ibrahim, the Permanent Secretary, sttae Ministry for Works and Housing and an official of Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA) had visited the scene to assess the damage.

Ibrahim said a report would be forwarded to the Katsina State Government for prompt intervention.

He condoled with the families of the deceased persons and prayed for the repose of the souls of those who died. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/23-killed-as-vehicles-crash-into-collapsed-bridge-in-katsina/
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by nerodenero: 6:01pm On Sep 10, 2013
It is indeed a September to remember for the deceased families. RIP to the dead.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by LMAyedun(m): 9:25pm On Sep 10, 2013
Death, death & death in this country.
The Gov't should seal off that bridge for now and make a fast reconstruction.
I'm actually tired of saying RIP.
May God continue to Protect us & our loved ones.

2 Likes

Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Horus(m): 11:53pm On Sep 10, 2013

Collapsed bridge at Yar’randa village in Charanchi
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Tolexander: 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2013
RIP!

Only God knows when last good news is reported.

RIP everyday.
The RIP written per day on nairaland is enough if gathered in a book to make a book as big as Keith L. Moore Essential clinical anatomy textbook.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by BabaAlabi: 1:09pm On Sep 11, 2013
Fresh Air!
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Nobody: 1:09pm On Sep 11, 2013
Guess the contractor will be back to repair the bridge he built
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by 3ace(m): 1:10pm On Sep 11, 2013
RIP to the dead. Reason why I hate night travels. The accidents could have been averted if there was no darkness. Off topic, @seun, we talk say make you give us dislike button,a page for favourite topics for easier reference e.t.c, u dey give us "Google it" when most of us already have it in our browsers. Wetin we wan use am do again? Abeg, take time o.

3 Likes

Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by lifestyle1(m): 1:11pm On Sep 11, 2013
RIP. cry
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Lilimax(f): 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
...But the same thread on the FP is a closed thread?
Or is it from me?
What is happening moderator or is it the in -thing?
Just asking?
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by born2boink(m): 1:13pm On Sep 11, 2013
R.I.P
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 11, 2013
Did it rili happen cox d thread has been closed on front page?
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Osama10(m): 1:16pm On Sep 11, 2013
Lilimax: ...But the same thread on the FP is a closed thread?
Or is it from me?
What is happening moderator or is it the in thing?
Just asking?

Moderator don take shekpe this afternoon.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Horus(m): 1:17pm On Sep 11, 2013
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Lilimax(f): 1:19pm On Sep 11, 2013
Osama10:

Moderator don take shekpe this afternoon.
grin grin
I'm sure there was a mix up somewhere.
It will be corrected soonest.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by econana: 1:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
May is soul rest in peace. Amen
3ace: RIP to the dead. Reason why I hate night travels. The accidents could have been averted if there was no darkness. Off topic, @seun, we talk say make you give us dislike button,a page for favourite topics for easier reference e.t.c, u dey give us "Google it" when most of us already have it in our browser. Wetin we wan use am do again? Abeg, take time o.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by 3ace(m): 1:34pm On Sep 11, 2013
Lilimax: ...But the same thread on the FP is a closed thread?
Or is it from me?
What is happening moderator or is it the in -thing?
Just asking?
The thread on the FrontPage shouldn't be there in the first place because it was 6 minutes later than this one. I guess the moderators mistakenly/deliberately moved Tolexander's thread to FrontPage.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 11, 2013
See how thin the Tar or whatever they used on that road is, with so much red Mold, when the Water absorbs the Mold the Tin Tar of course cannot stand the weight of Vehicles..so what were they expecting when they are actually the ones who gave such contracts to themselves so that after such casualties they will have another opportunity of re-awarding the contract to themselves again.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by dridowu: 2:15pm On Sep 11, 2013
RIP
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by dalynch(f): 2:15pm On Sep 11, 2013
RIP.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by iheneme(m): 2:16pm On Sep 11, 2013
The villagers said efforts made to alert the bus driver was to no avail as he was on high speed.
The villagers could have done better by flagging down vehicles with tree branches at least 200mtrs from the spot, given the speed of vehicles. Any driver who sees large number of people doing this should think twice. What an avoidable and painful loss!!!
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by hariorh: 2:16pm On Sep 11, 2013
eddiebruk: See how thin the Tar or whatever they used on that road is, with so much red Mold, when the Water absorbs the Mold the Tin Tar of course cannot stand the weight of Vehicles..so what were they expecting when they are actually the ones who gave such contracts to themselves so that after such casualties they will have another opportunity of re-awarding the contract to themselves again.

Don't know why they didn't give you the contract to build the bridge sef... Judgment awaits our leaders and some of their supporters on NL!

angry angry angry
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Tolexander: 2:19pm On Sep 11, 2013
3ace: The thread on the FrontPage shouldn't be there in the first place because it was 6 minutes later than this one. I guess the moderators mistakenly/deliberately moved Tolexander's thread to FrontPage.
it was a mistake on the part of OAM4J.
When i saw him closing my thread, i went on to check the referred thread and saw it was 6minutes earlier.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by hariorh: 2:20pm On Sep 11, 2013
iheneme:
The villagers could have done better by flagging down vehicles with tree branches at least 200mtrs from the spot, given the speed of vehicles. Any driver who sees large number of people doing this should think twice. What an avoidable and painful loss!!!

I'm guessing u thought this happened in broad daylight?

Or perhaps u felt there were street lights there for people to see well?
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
hariorh:

Don't know why they didn't give you the contract to build the bridge sef... Judgment awaits our leaders and some of their supporters on NL!

angry angry angry

You need Jesus tho
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Nobody: 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2013
What is political about this? Na only ban ban dem sabi. Eggheads
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by checkfidel: 2:42pm On Sep 11, 2013
eddiebruk: See how thin the Tar or whatever they used on that road is, with so much red Mold, when the Water absorbs the Mold the Tin Tar of course cannot stand the weight of Vehicles..so what were they expecting when they are actually the ones who gave such contracts to themselves so that after such casualties they will have another opportunity of re-awarding the contract to themselves again.
I can see that you know nothing about what you are saying, why then are you exposing your ignorance.
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by JideTheBlogger(m): 3:28pm On Sep 11, 2013
One of the reasons why travelling at night is not cool in naija.

May their soul RIP
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 11, 2013
checkfidel:
I can see that you know nothing about what you are saying, why then are you exposing your ignorance.

And who is this Uneducated Bigot that has a comprehension problem...?
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by modskiller(m): 3:58pm On Sep 11, 2013
O M G
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by mrofficial(m): 4:35pm On Sep 11, 2013
R I P
Re: 23 Killed As Vehicles Crash Into Collapsed Bridge In Katsina by dazzy4real(m): 7:22pm On Sep 11, 2013
I've been wanting to ask all these english they use this dayz to report (feared killed) if I write am for exam hope say dem no go fail me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edo State- Oshiomole Where Are The Industries / Ex Aide Ben Obi: Peter Obi Used Helicopter To Attend Olumba Olumba Obu / Suntai’s Aides Return From German Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.