Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother (9446 Views)

What Language Is Nigeria's Lingua-Franca? / How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language? / And To Which Language Do These Famous Naija Expressions Belong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by ajasa4link: 3:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
my parents speak Yoruba to each other on a normal day... but when relatives come around,the Ijesha dialect is the language that reigns supreme because they are both ijesha's
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by tinuolababy(f): 3:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
OlamiB: They both speak Akure language
. There's nothing like Akure Language. It's a dialect dear.
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Handsomeemmy(m): 3:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
quivah:
safe journey dear!! Greet your ancestors for me

lolzz... Rolls back to maiduguri to fight boko with GEJ
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by NeuroBoss(m): 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
GudluckIBB: Wao! What a Topic!
My parents were seperated when I was a year Old.I really don't know how they were communicating.Its been living with either parents at different Times till I became a full grown man,living on my own.
By the way, How does it feel Living under the same roof with your parents?its one opportunity I missed in Life.
Too Bad !
I really feel for you. It's one great opportunity that you missed. Please bro, strive against all odds not to deprive your children of that wonderful priviledge. Back to the question, they speak plain Yoruba and Ijesa dialect if we want to go deep
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Brainysoul(f): 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
They both speak nupe
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by joeadex(m): 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
Yoruba.4.real. :PYoruba.4.real.
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Iaz93: 3:06pm On Sep 13, 2013
My Dad can't speak my Mum's Lang., same with Mum. So they just keep speaking Hausa all day. SMH!
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Nobody: 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2013
they speak confirm IGBO and they also laugh in Swahili.. But me i dy laugh in chinese

1 Like

Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by chata25(m): 3:09pm On Sep 13, 2013
nupe tins on point
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
It depends on their mood. When Dad/Mom is upset or not satisfied about something, they communicate in English, but on a normal day, it's yoruba or Igbo

1 Like

Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by tony9k: 3:11pm On Sep 13, 2013
I had an Igbo boss married to a fellow Igbo who speak Yoruba in their house (in Lagos)
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by badmarket: 3:12pm On Sep 13, 2013
So why do most parents speak to their children in english? especially when growing up...
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 13, 2013
Urhobo grin
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by kaze4blues(m): 3:14pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ede yoruba

1 Like

Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Handsomeemmy(m): 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dad and mum speaks the general yoruba and that applies to we the children. But if there are strangers, Mum speaks akure dialect and we understand that very well but can hardly speak. I have never heard Dad speaks His own dialect . (Igbona) from igbomina part of kwara state.
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
REALITY101: Igbo/French.. Igbo especially whenever they are talking about something they don't want me and my baby bro to know about. That was back when we were young tho.
Guess such trick doesnt work for them again cheesy
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2013
Afam4eva: My parents speak Nkanu Igbo to themselves and speak same to us.
Guess this nkanu has a way of sticking to the tongue.
Recall a hostelmate in sec. school that speaks that all the time.
Has a funny way of pronouncing some igbo words like anya(eye) is enya etc
We make fun of him yet he's undeterred cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Sike(m): 3:25pm On Sep 13, 2013
Concentrated I.J.E.B.U language.
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by lokito: 3:28pm On Sep 13, 2013
Mr Aboki: Hausa
English Language..
Igbo..
French..
Ogba..

Bros, mar di
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by emmanok24(m): 3:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
Itsekiri...... My mum did her best to make sure we speak and understand it!
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
Are you half caste?

Mrs.Chima:

undecided undecided undecided

grin grin grin
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by theripper3: 3:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
Conc owerri .
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by rmgbemeje: 3:39pm On Sep 13, 2013
It is well

GudluckIBB: Wao! What a Topic!
My parents were seperated when I was a year Old.I really don't know how they were communicating.Its been living with either parents at different Times till I became a full grown man,living on my own.
By the way, How does it feel Living under the same roof with your parents?its one opportunity I missed in Life.
Too Bad !
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 13, 2013
tayolove12: Yoruba on top of the word
On top of the ''WORD''?.........*DIES*
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
What else if not igbo?
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by bethnals: 3:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
HAUSA
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by bebechuks: 3:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
I speak my dialect to my hubby when we want to discuss sensitive issues,but outside dat na English one way,same wit my parents!
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by Fabulous36(f): 3:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
my dialect of course, isu3 and it was a good foundation for us because we all understand igbo, english, hausa and yoruba. place of birth and association.
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by searay(m): 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
Bedroom language
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by bebechuks: 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
rmgbemeje: It is well

its well with u my dear.
Re: What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother by GudluckIBB(m): 4:07pm On Sep 13, 2013
NeuroBoss:
I really feel for you. It's one great opportunity that you missed. Please bro, strive against all odds not to deprive your children of that wonderful priviledge. Back to the question, they speak plain Yoruba and Ijesa dialect if we want to go deep

Thanks
At times I cry secretely when I hear people relishing how interesting it is Living with your parents.No matter how rich and famous I may become tomorrow, Even if I become the president of Nigeria.That opportunity will never come by anymore.it is well!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Use Your Mother Tongue In All Social Gatherings – Ohanaeze Tells Ndigbo / Youths Chase-Away King For Shunning Traditional Festival / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.