Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,683 members, 7,809,584 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? (9531 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by deluxecad(m): 2:51pm On Jan 03, 2010
I learnt that some tribes ask for as much as a cow, loads of yam and other expensive stuff for them to give their daughters out in marriage. What can you not pay as bride price?
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Kelvinj(m): 3:14pm On Jan 03, 2010
Well, can pay anything but not take several strokes of d cain,
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jan 03, 2010
grin human head.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Kelvinj(m): 3:18pm On Jan 03, 2010
iceblue:

grin human head.
lmao
Were have u been
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by freecocoa(f): 3:28pm On Jan 03, 2010
If i were a guy,i tink it depends on how much i hav but i dnt tink i can pay up 2 1 mill sha.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 03, 2010
A guy shd just pay whatever he's comfortable with. As far as I'm concerned, nothing is too much or too small! The money or whatever he's bringing is not important.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 03, 2010
@kelvin: right here. Just answering the question. Afterall, whether na cane or millions, people dey pay up sharp sharp.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by kokoA(m): 5:54pm On Jan 03, 2010
Do people still pay bride price?
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Kelvinj(m): 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2010
kokoA:

no they dont, they pay groom price

1 Like

Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Kelvinj(m): 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2010
kokoA:

no they dont, they pay groom price
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by chelseabmw(m): 6:29pm On Jan 03, 2010
some people are dead among the living though! grin
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by kokoA(m): 7:17pm On Jan 03, 2010
chelseabmw:

some people are dead among the living though! grin

Yes, people like Chelseabmw and Kelvinj grin
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by omobadan(m): 7:42pm On Jan 03, 2010
It depends on the tribe and bride's family. Yoruba people don't really concern themselves too much with bride price as I can recall. But in the eastern part of Nigeria, bride price is big deal. They may charge an arm and a leg. Just be prepared. I was lucky, my wife's family weren't into all that. They only took some yam, palm oil etc. The money was less than N5000. It was quite cheap. Lucky me, innit?
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by sofadj(m): 12:58am On Jan 04, 2010
omobadan:

The money was less than N5000. It was quite cheap. Lucky me, innit?
^^ WELL WE 'L HAVE TO SEE UR WIFE BEFORE WE KNOW. LOL
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by deluxecad(m): 6:27am On Jan 04, 2010
Heard dat some Yoruba babes misbehave and threaten to pack home owing to d fact dat not much was paid as bride price for them. How true?
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by daknsmooth(m): 7:22am On Jan 04, 2010
That process should be abolished. Nobody should pay for marrying anybody!!!
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:33pm On Jan 04, 2010
Before people continue posting on such an issue as this, I urge you all to first go and ask your respective tribesman for the traditional name of bride price.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by sofadj(m): 12:12am On Jan 05, 2010
its tradition shouldnt be abolished
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Comma: 3:27am On Jan 08, 2010
it's not up to how much the man love the lady, it's up to the man's income
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by breathless(m): 11:39am On Jan 08, 2010
Any amount that will make you broke n bankcrupt for the better part of your married life, making you regret and hate the institution called marriage.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by jtkoko9(f): 11:41am On Jan 08, 2010
nufin is too much, the human beign is priceless.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by sayso: 11:45am On Jan 08, 2010
look at her and decide.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by princekevo(m): 11:45am On Jan 08, 2010
iceblue:

grin human head.
Are you another Herod's daughter?
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by sayso: 11:49am On Jan 08, 2010
when I went for my trad,I rejected all my in-laws threw at me,they all called me a bad in-law but gave me their daughter sha,during first year of marriage,I loaded their daughter and bought her a nice car,all my in-laws said I am a good in-law. grin
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by victorazy(m): 11:49am On Jan 08, 2010
Kelvinj:

Well, can pay anything but not take several strokes of d cain,

I will pay any amount provided i love her and am ready to settle down as a real man
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by otukpo(f): 11:53am On Jan 08, 2010
there is nothing u cannot pay if u already know where u are going and the culture of the place.

Even b4 it gets to that, u wld have discussed with ur girl to find out what it is like with her culture and if really love her and want her at all cost, u wld not mind even the several strokes of cain.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by PurestBoy(m): 11:54am On Jan 08, 2010
victorazy:

I will pay any amount provided i love her and am ready to settle down as a real man

Even if u're asked to pay $1B or bring human head because u love her abi?
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by sayso: 11:54am On Jan 08, 2010
victorazy:

bros small small,you go wound ooohh

1 Like

Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by otukpo(f): 11:55am On Jan 08, 2010
kokoA:

No, they dont.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by otukpo(f): 11:59am On Jan 08, 2010
sayso:

when I went for my trad,I rejected all my in-laws threw at me,they all called me a bad in-law but gave me their daughter sha,during first year of marriage,I loaded their daughter and bought her a nice car,all my in-laws said I am a good in-law. grin

That is the spirit.

No family will refuse to give u their daughter because of bride pride, as long as they see u 2 love urselves.

The thing is diplomacy, don't try boosting ur ego by trying to do evry of their demands.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by bandely(m): 12:13pm On Jan 08, 2010
deluxecad:

Heard dat some Yoruba babes misbehave and threaten to pack home owing to d fact dat not much was paid as bride price for them. How true?
Yes it is true, and those that beats their wives mercilessly because they've paid the bride price, and they guy would still remain there, because the family had sold her  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed  grin grin
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by bisiaet: 12:15pm On Jan 08, 2010
Mr Poster are u a Nigeria or where have u been? Becuase this should not sound strange to you and beside I dont think any body is going to force you to buy what you dont have money to buy in the name of bride price. I agree it is not all that a good idea paying any bride price but nothing can anybody do about it, it is all about applying diplomacy and wisdom.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Africans Agree Somalis, And Ethiopians Best Looking Africans. / Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. / Yoruba Does Not Have A Word For Tiger, Ekun Can Be Used To Describe Big Cats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.