Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Timing Belt Replacement For Cars. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Timing Belt Replacement For Cars. (2023 Views)

Keke Operator Installs Seat Belt In His Tricycle (Photos) / Why You Should Use 5w-20 , 5w-30 Engine Oils For Cars Between 2000-2014 / Timing Belt vs Timing Chain: Which is the best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Timing Belt Replacement For Cars. by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 11, 2013
Most Nigerian car users/owners do not bother much about timing belt maintenance. I remember quite well a 1991 Honda Accord I had about 7 years ago. My timing belt snapped at night about 9pm on my way home. I was stranded and abandoned the car at a pretty unsafe place.

Thank God. The next morning, the car, tyres and all were still very much intact. I had to change the timing belt after changing the valves, but the timing belt still snapped at about 20 mins after I left the mechanic workshop. After the 2nd repair it still cut again about 3 times within two days and I just had to sell the car at a huge loss. But this could have been averted if I changed the belt after I bought the car from the previous owner.

But beware, not all mechanics are good at changing timing belts. This is because the timing belt setting is a professional's job.

Why I am saying this? For people that buy registered cars, please make sure that you change the timing belt of your car in good time before it cuts as you may not be aware of the cars service history.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Your timing belt should be replaced every 50-70,000 miles. Carmakers have specified the replacement intervals for timing belts. In this database you will find these timing belt replacement intervals along with a little technical information regarding the valve configuration - interference or non-interference. In an interference engine, the valves and piston share the same air space. They never touch, unless your timing belt breaks or skips, and this is a catastrophic failure that requires removing the head and replacing bent valves. Non-interference engines do not risk this contact if the timing belt goes. Nonetheless, either can leave you stranded, so regular timing belt replacement is very important.

This will surely save someone a whole lot of stress especially during long trips someday.

However, some cars use timing chains.

Click on the link below to see timing belt information about your car

http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/ss/timin-belt-info.htm

Cheers.
Re: Timing Belt Replacement For Cars. by earthrealm(m): 10:55am On Sep 11, 2013
good topic....many people are not aware of this......ignorance is not bliss.

on an interference engine like the 4th generation Toyota 4 runner [2003 - 2009 v8 engines0...having a timing belt cut while in motion is a very very expensive fix.....so prevention is better than cure....though some engines are non intereference engines...so if the belt cuts while in motion..only minor damage will occur...but such cars are not many eg Volvo 244 or so...that old long volvo
Re: Timing Belt Replacement For Cars. by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 11, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not / . / See Nigerians React As Toyota Set 2 Release Similar Wooden Car Built By Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.