Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not (2025 Views)

Need Professional Advice On My CRV 2005 Gear Box Problem / Gear Box Problem / Sienna Gear Box Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by blacklexus: 5:52pm On Feb 14, 2020
I just got 2008 Toyota Matrix XR. I noticed a humming noise on the driver's side of the front wheel. I called up my Mechanic who quickly said its Wheel Hub. We got it replaced but the problem persist. I had him recalled to recheck as i didnt get deiared result. The sound was still there.

He said he took the car to a diagnostic centre where it was discovered the sound to be from inside the Gear Box.

My Question:
Could that analysis be true? The sound being one sided and my gear selects notmally without issues.

2. What Else could be responsible the noise apart from Wheel Hub , bearing and "gearbox"?

I anticipate your guide and constructive criticisms. The Car is just a month old in my hand; 130310 mileage. Slavaged with front end damaged.

Thank you very much
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by AmaHopeOn: 3:23am On Feb 15, 2020
Which kind of diagnostic tool pointed to the noise, and said it is from transmission.

Tell him to remove the belt, start car and check for noise.

And what repairs did you do lately
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by blacklexus: 12:14pm On Feb 15, 2020
So far,
I have changed he break Pads, Transmission Oil and Bearing on the front right wheel.
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by 9icetoo(m): 5:18pm On Feb 15, 2020
Swap tires. Front to back and back to front. You may have feathered tyres. Won't cost you anything to do as you try to sort this problem out.

1 Like

Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 15, 2020
9icetoo:
Swap tires. Front to back and back to front. You may have feathered tyres. Won't cost you anything to do as you try to sort this problem out.

See advise

1 Like

Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by Whynow(m): 5:33pm On Feb 15, 2020
Get car on 4 strong stands. Run car in D to determine noise.
From what you have explained It could be the transaxle bearing in bell housing .

1 Like

Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by 9icetoo(m): 5:38pm On Feb 15, 2020
Smartchoiice:

See advise
And what was yours?

None. Move along.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2020
9icetoo:

And what was yours?

None. Move along.

Save space for better responses.
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by blacklexus: 6:37pm On Feb 15, 2020
Whynow:
Get car on 4 strong stands. Run car in D to determine noise.
From what you have explained It could be the transaxle bearing in bell housing .

Okay. I have noted this. I will take it to a proper place to check well. I know these folks are not patient at times to check well.

But i want to ask...

CAN THE TRANSAXLE BEARING BE CHANGED WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE THE ENTIRE GEAR BOX
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by blacklexus: 6:44pm On Feb 15, 2020
9icetoo:

Thank you for your response. The Car has tire inbalance indicator and no one single warning light on the car.
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by 9icetoo(m): 8:34am On Feb 16, 2020
Smartchoiice:

Save space for better responses.
Look who's talking. cheesy
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by 9icetoo(m): 8:37am On Feb 16, 2020
blacklexus:

Thank you for your response. The Car has tire inbalance indicator and no one single warning light on the car.

I'm not talking about tire balancing. If you mean TPMS, then that also does not measure tyre balance.

Sounds like that aren't measured by sensors and won't register on your dash.

Let's know how this goes.
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by blacklexus: 10:09am On Mar 17, 2020
Thank you dear friends. IT WAS BAD TIRES AFTER ALL. i took time and did more study on why the humming noise on the wheel and with what you guys counselled.One of the causes highlighted was bad tires. So today, i took it out and changed the tires from front to rare. I also discovered that all the 4 tires are expired (3813). After the change, i did alignment and balancing. I just drove about 20miles with all glass rolled up and radio off....THE SOUND IS GONE.

I am getting all new tires shortly. At least i am restful now. Thank you so much for your contribution, i am grateful.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by viqSmallz(m): 1:43pm On Mar 17, 2020
Someone was just made a fool
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by oweniwe(m): 12:27am On Mar 18, 2020
Smartchoiice:

See advise

But 9icetoo was right afterall

You should buy him drink tongue
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by gly2ken: 5:37am On Mar 18, 2020
blacklexus:
Thank you dear friends. IT WAS BAD TIRES AFTER ALL. i took time and did more study on why the humming noise on the wheel and with what you guys counselled.One of the causes highlighted was bad tires. So today, i took it out and changed the tires from front to rare. I also discovered that all the 4 tires are expired (3813). After the change, i did alignment and balancing. I just drove about 20miles with all glass rolled up and radio off....THE SOUND IS GONE.

I am getting all new tires shortly. At least i am restful now. Thank you so much for your contribution, i am grateful.
my mum always advise me not to pay much attention on any noise in my car as that will make you spend on necessarily.

1 Like

Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by ivoryhouse(m): 6:12am On Mar 18, 2020
Two questions:
Did you buy a brand new hub?
What were the codes that made them conclude its the transmission?
It sounds life the hub and if tou replaced it with a used hub, that too has the same issue with the previous hub. Run diagnosis again, post the codes here
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by blacklexus: 6:20am On Mar 18, 2020
ivoryhouse:
Two questions:
Did you buy a brand new hub?
What were the codes that made them conclude its the transmission?
It sounds life the hub and if tou replaced it with a used hub, that too has the same issue with the previous hub. Run diagnosis again, post the codes here

I did scan the Car and DTC is 0 for the 5 diff times. Transmission shift effortlessly. No shaking
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by blacklexus: 6:21am On Mar 18, 2020
gly2ken:
my mum always advise me not to pay much attention on any noise in my car as that will make you spend on necessarily.

Well,for thier days, you may not. For this age and safety, you should pay attention to ANY STRANGE noise o.
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by blacklexus: 6:22am On Mar 18, 2020
oweniwe:

But 9icetoo was right afterall

You should buy him drink tongue

As in ehn. Knowledge is just unlimited. Thank you 9icetoo
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by 9icetoo(m): 7:01am On Mar 18, 2020
blacklexus:

Smartchoiice,
Read the above. Next time, don't be so malicious with your words. Eat your humble pie.
Thanks.

Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by 9icetoo(m): 7:05am On Mar 18, 2020
blacklexus:

As in ehn. Knowledge is just unlimited. Thank you 9icetoo
That's why we have this forum. To share knowledge. Sometimes, the solution to some problems are just unorthodox. You will get to draw from the experience of a while lot of people.
I am not a mechanic but I have fixed more cars or helped fix more cars than a whOle lot of smart people here. Same goes for other members of this forum.
I always start with the inexpensive and least invasive fixes before going to the expensive and invasive ones depending on what I suspect is the problem.
Cheers.
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by Nobody: 7:08am On Mar 18, 2020
9icetoo:

Smartchoiice,
Read the above. Next time, don't be so malicious with your words. Eat your humble pie.
Thanks.
Hehehe I am happy you had to quote me. Because you were right
Re: Is It Gear Box Problem Or Not by 9icetoo(m): 11:01am On Mar 18, 2020
Smartchoiice:

Hehehe I am happy you had to quote me. Because you were right

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Car Engines / Jeep Liberty experience shared / Help A Brother Biko. I Need A Good Car, Budget 300k-350k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.