Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,926 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? (1557 Views)

"I Serve A God Who Answers Prayers" - American Doctor Cured Of Ebola / Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? / Could You Give Me One Piece Of Significant Evidence Of A God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 2:02pm On Sep 12, 2013
Good Afternoon people. I ask this question because of the fact that almost all humans in the world believe in some kind of super powerful being above them who requires absolute servitude from them. I just have to ask, do we need a god (or gods)? Does it matter if god is real or not? Why do humans feel so much need for a god?
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by manmustwac(m): 2:21pm On Sep 12, 2013
That is true mostly in developing countries where people that have bad roads bad hospitals high unemployment corrupt leaders high crime rates etcetra etcetra look to God for comfort & assurance

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:23pm On Sep 12, 2013
Nobody to run to anymore. Thinking cap cant be widen so God comes in.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RayMcBlue(m): 2:25pm On Sep 12, 2013
Man was born, man asks "why am I alive", Man makes up BS story, BS story spreads like wildfire because people have nothing else to do but tell BS stories.

In a more serious note, we needed answers, and the concept of god filled a massive gap in our knowledge, it's a good thing that science and reason is gradually making that gap disappear.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 2:38pm On Sep 12, 2013
manmustwac: That is true mostly in developing countries where people that have bad roads bad hospitals high unemployment corrupt leaders high crime rates etcetra etcetra look to God for comfort & assurance
So, are you saying people in "developed" countries don't have this need?
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 2:40pm On Sep 12, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Nobody to run to anymore. Thinking cap cant be widen so God comes in.
Does a belief in god negate reason and intelligence?
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 2:48pm On Sep 12, 2013
Ray McBlue: Man was born, man asks "why am I alive", Man makes up BS story, BS story spreads like wildfire because people have nothing else to do but tell BS stories.

In a more serious note, we needed answers, and the concept of god filled a massive gap in our knowledge, it's a good thing that science and reason is gradually making that gap disappear.
But, have you ever wondered why different humans around the world (who had no previous contact with each other) choose to explain their existence with the concept of a god?
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by saintvc(m): 2:52pm On Sep 12, 2013
WHY DO PEOPLE FEEL THEY DONT NEED GOD
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RayMcBlue(m): 2:55pm On Sep 12, 2013
RationalDude: But, have you ever wondered why different humans around the world (who had no previous contact with each other) choose to explain their existence with the concept of a god?

Simple.

Man is naturally a curious being. He questions everything and not finding answers, the questions lead to paranoia, paranoia gave birth to superstition, superstition in turn gave way to man inventing the idea of celestial beings watching his every move. So to appease them he gave offerings, thus religion was born.

Religion is deeply rooted in superstition and paranoia.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RayMcBlue(m): 2:59pm On Sep 12, 2013
saintvc: WHY DO PEOPLE FEEL THEY DONT NEED GOD

Why do you feel that you need god?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:59pm On Sep 12, 2013
RationalDude: Does a belief in god negate reason and intelligence?

When reason and intelligence comes in, it will stand against God and religious belief. Last time I check, Allah stated in the quran people shouldn't question.... Jehovah said clearly in the bible we should reason things within our own understanding as it is a threat to belief in God.

So therefore, belief in God and religion negate reason and intelligence

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 4:01pm On Sep 12, 2013
saintvc: WHY DO PEOPLE FEEL THEY DONT NEED GOD
I'll answer this if you can explain why god stopped existing when I stopped believing. Come to think of it, if for some odd reason, all humans stopped believing in god, god would cease to exist.
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 12, 2013
simples... we are naturally afraid of what we cannot control or have knowledge to control. the minute you know the trick behind the magic trick, it is no longer magic. But everything is a Miracle if you do not know or understand how it happened.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 12, 2013
I believe it all started in the logical sense when the philosophers were looking for answers... When science came into being, it came into conclusion that for something to be multiplied... like product items and sorts of, there's got to be a mover... or the creator.

The thought also came into the efficacy of humans, which was the main reason there was a dedication to the Unknown GOD by the guys in the Medieval Athens... thereby the quest for God begins...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 7:20am On Sep 13, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

When reason and intelligence comes in, it will stand against God and religious belief. Last time I check, Allah stated in the quran people shouldn't question.... Jehovah said clearly in the bible we should reason things within our own understanding as it is a threat to belief in God.

So therefore, belief in God and religion negate reason and intelligence
From your post, it seems like you are specifically referring to just the Christian/Muslim God(s). Mind you, there are many different Gods and religions all over the world not just the major two. So, I ask again, does a belief in god negate reason and intelligence?
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by Nobody: 7:25am On Sep 13, 2013
RationalDude: From your post, it seems like you are specifically referring to just the Christian/Muslim God(s). Mind you, there are many different Gods and religions all over the world not just the major two. So, I ask again, does a belief in god negate reason and intelligence?
Simple answer: No.
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:26am On Sep 13, 2013
RationalDude: Does it matter if god is real or not? Why do humans feel so much need for a god?
Poverty.

The rich have no such need, naturally.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 9:50am On Sep 13, 2013
aManFromMars:
Simple answer: No.
Exactly the response I expected from Folykaze.
P.S: are you the same person as muskeeto? I want to send you a p.m
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 13, 2013
RationalDude: Exactly the response I expected from Folykaze.
P.S: are you the same person as muskeeto? I want to send you a p.m

Yeah.. Prncksh@gmail.com
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 9:56am On Sep 13, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:
Poverty.

The rich have no such need, naturally.
That's an interesting response but what would you say about the pope? The dude is in charge of one of the largest organisation in the world and yet he still has a need for God. I think poverty would only apply in poorly developed nations.
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RayMcBlue(m): 10:03am On Sep 13, 2013
RationalDude: I think poverty would only apply in poorly developed nations.

You hit the hammer right on top of the nail's head. Couldn't agree more.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 13, 2013
I think I will have to go with Kay below
Kay 17:

1. A well ordered world necessitates an intelligent creator and negates blind Nature

2. A well ordered world reflects the well ordered mind of the intelligent creator

3. Hence the well ordered mind demands a creator

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:31am On Sep 13, 2013
RationalDude: That's an interesting response but what would you say about the pope? The dude is in charge of one of the largest organisation in the world and yet he still has a need for God. I think poverty would only apply in poorly developed nations.

The pope is in charge but has no pessession. He is a pampered pauper. Poverty is the root cause of religion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 10:40am On Sep 13, 2013
aManFromMars:

Yeah.. Prncksh@gmail.com
Check your mailbox
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 10:45am On Sep 13, 2013
Reyginus: I think I will have to go with Kay below
Do you truly believe that this world is ''well-ordered''? Or could you kindly explain what you mean by ''well-ordered''?
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 10:48am On Sep 13, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

The pope is in charge but has no pessession. He is a pampered pauper. Poverty is the root cause of religion.
Not always true. And, technically, the pope really isn't poor. How exactly do you define poverty?
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 13, 2013
RationalDude: Check your mailbox
Not NL's pm service.. send to the email address I posted earlier : prncksh@gmail.com
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RationalDude(m): 11:03am On Sep 13, 2013
aManFromMars:
Not NL's pm service.. send to the email address I posted earlier : prncksh@gmail.com
I've sent it!
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 13, 2013
RationalDude: I've sent it!
Alright. Will check my mailbox.
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by RayMcBlue(m): 11:22am On Sep 13, 2013
Poverty is more susceptible to religion because of poor man's hunger for sustenance/redemption, which religion superficially offers.

Rich people are more incline to ignore religion than the poor, cuz redemption is no longer required.

That's why the developing countries are more religious than the developed in the real world.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2013
RationalDude: Do you truly believe that this world is ''well-ordered''? Or could you kindly explain what you mean by ''well-ordered''?
I don't like the word believe in this case.
And to your question.
Every existent entity in our cosmos tries to maintain order, by either, cancellation of certain equillibrium deviating action or by not allowing it.
Look at entropy in systems. As the activities in an environment increases, an increase in pressure, their is an increase in disorderliness which effect primarily, is to bring about orderliness of this disordered environment. That is a sign of an ordered universe.
And homeostasis. The internal environment of a homosapien is constantly in a fairly internal condition as a result of the body's drive to maintain order. This can be by either the negative or positive feedback mechanisms.
What about solar depletion. The ozone layer as a result of its absorption of carbon compounds gradually wears out. Normally this is to protect, that is, reduce the heat of the sun reaching us, but when this happens, it tries to compensate for the loss by allowing more heat from the sun.
Re: Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? by jayriginal: 1:13pm On Sep 13, 2013
RationalDude: I'll answer this if you can explain why god stopped existing when I stopped believing. Come to think of it, if for some odd reason, all humans stopped believing in god, god would cease to exist.

From the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Final Proof of the Non-Existence of God

The Final Proof of the non-Existence of God was proved by a Babel Fish.

Now, it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some have chosen to see it as the final proof of the NON-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. QED"

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does This Dream Mean ? / How To Explain Contradictions In The 4 Gospels. / Help! Please I Want Answers To Some Fundamental Biblical Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.