Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? (6972 Views)

SONGS That Make You Feel GODS Presence / Songs That Makes You Feel God's Presence? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 7:34pm On Jun 01, 2013
Dear Atheist,

Judging from your religious stance, I know that you do not have the psyche of the Believer and therefore would not attribute the outcome of your choices in life to a third party. You know above all things that a sound judgment is the best guide to living your life. You understand the erratic nature of life and therefore make projections accommodating all the "Maybe's" that comes with walking this earth.

You understand that life is a not a story, and you are not automatically the protagonist/hero.You know that there are no dark forces(village people/family/enemies/demons)trying to undermine your every move. You know that you won't get help from a third party supreme being by practicing a religion.In whatever you do, you do not congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either as you know your choices are a half chance and so are everybody else's,irrespective of what they believe.

But, do you ever feel the need to be thankful after a run of positive events in your life. The need to attribute these blessings to the handiwork of a supreme being. Do such thoughts blindside you while in traffic when making the return trip from a work day outing?

P.S: I really want to know your thoughts especially those atheist who were formerly Christians or Muslims.

1 Like

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:37pm On Jun 01, 2013
Who do you blame when things don't work out the way you want?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 8:32pm On Jun 01, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: Who do you blame when things don't work out the way you want?

Personally, I believe my choices are a half chance and so are everybody else's... I actually blame my poor business choice and not some invisible forces.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by bolaino(m): 8:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
@op, very insightful, as an agnostic, I personally do not feel the need to be thankful, thankful to who? To God? The God who allows innocent little children to die of starvation and disease? Nahh, I'll rather acknowledge my hard work,
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:09pm On Jun 01, 2013
I speak, for myself. I am thankful to God. smiley yes, the knowledge and experience of him throughout my life has brought me to this Atheist journey thus far. I do not hate religion or people who practice it. I just hate the negative impact it has when selfish and unreasonable persons use it for purely personal/political ends and pretend there is some divine purpose or some holy benefit to be derived thereof. The Devil is inside us as well as God.. it is the very basis of our human nature - nothing more
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Kay17: 9:30pm On Jun 01, 2013
According to the meaning I have developed for my life, I'm thankful to family and ppl who have gone out of their way to show compassion towards me. So I'm stil a grateful person.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 9:33pm On Jun 01, 2013
I am always thanksful to friends, family, acquaintances and sometimes strangers. . .Because they are they ones that make things happen in my life all the time be it positive or negative. . .I don't ever feel the need to thank any god or blame any satan because they are imaginary ideas that have nothing to do with my life. . .
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 10:03pm On Jun 01, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: I speak, for myself. I am thankful to God. smiley yes, the knowledge and experience of him throughout my life has brought me to this Atheist journey thus far. I do not hate religion or people who practice it. I just hate the negative impact it has when selfish and unreasonable persons use it for purely personal/political ends and pretend there is some divine purpose or some holy benefit to be derived thereof. The Devil is inside us as well as God.. it is the very basis of our human nature - nothing more

Is your Atheism your personal form of protest against how backwards religion has brought our country, Nigeria?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:21am On Jun 02, 2013
ezme:

Personally, I believe my choices are a half chance and so are everybody else's... I actually blame my poor business choice and not some invisible forces.

But you thank some invisible force when the half chance works out positively? Hmm.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 5:25am On Jun 02, 2013
Alfa Seltzer! cheesy cheesy Nice one!!

Christian Logic

-Thank God if business goes well

-But if business goes bad, dont blame God, blame yourself
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 6:42am On Jun 02, 2013
bolaino: @op, very insightful, as an agnostic, I personally do not feel the need to be thankful, thankful to who? To God? The God who allows innocent little children to die of starvation and disease? Nahh, I'll rather acknowledge my hard work,
What have you done to help innocent little children dying of starvation and disease?

1 Like

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by bolaino(m): 6:47am On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony: What have you done to help innocent little children dying of starvation and disease?
well as an individual I have done my best to help kids with various illnesses, I have a foundation here in Nigeria where we provide drugs and free medical treatment for little kids, although it's just starting but at least I know I love children more than the christian God,

3 Likes

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 7:06am On Jun 02, 2013
bolaino: well as an individual I have done my best to help kids with various illnesses, I have a foundation here in Nigeria where we provide drugs and free medical treatment for little kids, although it's just starting but at least I know I love children more than the christian God,
Very good, and you don't think that it is possible God placed you in that position so that those kids could be helped through you?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 7:10am On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
Very good, and you don't think that it is possible God placed you in that position so that those kids could be helped through you?
God could also have placed him in a position to sell fake teething mixture to the kids.

3 Likes

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 7:26am On Jun 02, 2013
musKeeto:
God could also have placed him in a position to sell fake teething mixture to the kids.
I hope you do realize that there is a difference between placing one in a position and the choices one decides to make while in that position
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 02, 2013
ezme:
Dear Atheist,

Judging from your religious stance....
Lol. Am I the only one that noticed this?

ezme:
In whatever you do, you do not congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either as you know your choices are a half chance and so are everybody else's,irrespective of what they believe.
Oh I DO. I desire to live the best life, and there are times I face disappointing experiences along with good fortune. I celebrate during the good times, and reassess myself during bad times. In all though, I do not believe any of these events are influenced by any spiritual being.

ezme:
But, do you ever feel the need to be thankful after a run of positive events in your life. The need to attribute these blessings to the handiwork of a supreme being
Oh, yes I do. And I believe that is out of habit rather than any inclination that a Good God is responsible for the fortune. I still catch myself screaming 'Baba GOd' when I score a sublime goal on the playstation grin.. it's quite similar to screaming 'Jesus' or 'oh my GOd' when there's danger.. These are habits from my former religious life that I've come to realize may die hard.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
I hope you do realize that there is a difference between placing one in a position and the choices one decides to make while in that position
Yeah, I do. Would you agree then that man's will may overshadow God's will? God places on in a position to do good, and he ends up doing wrong...
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 7:36am On Jun 02, 2013
musKeeto:
Yeah, I do. Would you agree then that man's will may overshadow God's will? God places on in a position to do good, and he ends up doing wrong...
I wouldn't use the word "overshadow" I would rather say that man can go against God's will. Now would you agree that such a man who opposes God by doing evil when he has been placed in a position to do good should rightly deserve to face the full wrath of God's judgment?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:
I wouldn't use the word "overshadow" I would rather say that man can go against God's will. Now would you agree that such a man who opposes God by doing evil when he has been placed in a position to do good should rightly deserve to face the full wrath of God's judgment?
Which God?

Should Allah punish those who kill apostates?
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 8:04am On Jun 02, 2013
musKeeto:
Which God?

Should Allah punish those who kill apostates?
Interesting. How dishonest can you get? So you have suddenly forgotten which God you were talking about here:

musKeeto: Yeah, I do. Would you agree then that man's will may overshadow God's will? God places on in a position to do good, and he ends up doing wrong...

It is interesting to notice how you knew full well the God we were both talking about but at the mention of God's judgment of evil people, you immediately developed amnesia.

Could it be that you are afraid of God's judgment?

Only criminals are afraid of judgment, good people look forward to it
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 02, 2013
All judges have power to convict any one who flouts the law. What ever judgement the judge decides to hand out will be based on what laws/rules he's subject to.

All Gods have wills.

To your text in small font, the Muslims would love that.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Mranony: 8:21am On Jun 02, 2013
musKeeto: All judges have power to execute a criminal. What ever judgement the judge decides to hand out will be based on what laws/rules he's working with.

All Gods have wills.

To your text in small font, the Muslims would love that.
Lol, we both know that you are setting up the muslim/generic gods strawman to help you evade the question I asked you. I won't push you further just hug your strawman tight.

Whatever helps you close your eyes and ears bro.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 02, 2013
tongue. Funny. I could say the same thing..
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 8:27am On Jun 02, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

But you thank some invisible force when the half chance works out positively? Hmm.

That used to be the case some eight months ago, but not so at the moment.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 8:30am On Jun 02, 2013
musKeeto:
Lol. Am I the only one that noticed this?

Oh I DO. I desire to live the best life, and there are times I face disappointing experiences along with good fortune. I celebrate during the good times, and reassess myself during bad times. In all though, I do not believe any of these events are influenced by any spiritual being.

Oh, yes I do. And I believe that is out of habit rather than any inclination that a Good God is responsible for the fortune. I still catch myself screaming 'Baba GOd' when I score a sublime goal on the playstation grin.. it's quite similar to screaming 'Jesus' or 'oh my GOd' when there's danger.. These are habits from my former religious life that I've come to realize may die hard.

The bolded is part of the reason I started this thread. I still find myself saying a prayer before I eat most times.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 8:33am On Jun 02, 2013
Mr anony:

Why can't your god help the kids himself by protecting them against the diseases in the first place?. . .Or healing them directly when they get sick, since according to the narrative he can do all these things. . . .Your god did not place him any where. . .He placed himself where ever he found himself and is using his human compassion to help the kids. . .Your god has nothing to do with anything. . .

1 Like

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by Nobody: 8:34am On Jun 02, 2013
mazaje:

Why can't your god help the kids himself by protecting them against the diseases in the first place?. . .Or healing them directly when they get sick, since according to the narrative he can do all these things. . . .Your god did not place him any where. . .He placed himself where ever he found himself and is using his human compassion to help the kids. . .Your god has nothing to do with anything. . .
You forget say bacteria and viruses were created by Satan.. God shall lock him up along with his followers on the last day.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 8:36am On Jun 02, 2013
ezme:

The bolded is part of the reason I started this thread. I still find myself saying a prayer before I eat most times.

Its just part of your life that still remains, its a habit and habit is second to nature, I still say oh my god, Jesus, or Inna lillahi. . .Its part of my christian and muslim up bringing. . .I don't pray at all. . .I have never prayed since 2007 and never will. . .
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by ezme(m): 8:38am On Jun 02, 2013
musKeeto:
You forget say bacteria and viruses were created by Satan.. God shall lock him up along with his followers on the last day.

The bible creation story is silent on the creation of bacteria and virus. Its just modern biology that groups these micro organisms into plant and animal kingdoms. I believe the writers of the bible did not understand fully the cell level of organisation at that point in time.
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 8:40am On Jun 02, 2013
musKeeto:

The problem is there is is never anywhere, he does nothing, but they keep giving him all the praise and thinking him for doing nothing all of the time. . .A christian kid gets sick, and an atheist or hindu comes and helps, the christians will say its their god that sent the person. . .If the child doesn't get well and his condition worsen's and the child suffers more, then it is the devil or it is not their god's will for the child to get well. . .All one excuse after the other for a god that is never there. . .

2 Likes

Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by mazaje(m): 8:41am On Jun 02, 2013
ezme:

The bible creation story is silent on the creation of bacteria and virus. Its just modern biology that groups these micro organisms into plant and animal kingdoms. I believe the writers of the bible did not understand fully the cell level of organisation at that point in time.

How can they know about cells?. . .Even the bible in many places say that evil spirits causes diseases. . .
Re: Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? by RealSleek(m): 8:48am On Jun 02, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: I speak, for myself. I am thankful to God. smiley yes, the knowledge and experience of him throughout my life has brought me to this Atheist journey thus far. I do not hate religion or people who practice it. I just hate the negative impact it has when selfish and unreasonable persons use it for purely personal/political ends and pretend there is some divine purpose or some holy benefit to be derived thereof. The Devil is inside us as well as God.. it is the very basis of our human nature - nothing more

Check urself well well....you no fit in d atheist category at all....u r jst nt into religion...dats all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Which Of These Churches Has The Finest/best Choir / Babies Who Come Out The Womb With Their Legs First. / Were Some People Existing Before Adam And Eve?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.