Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund (4940 Views)

Bauchi Governor Abubakar Donates Patrol-Vehicles To Security Operatives / Obiano Donates Patrol Cars To Police In Anambra (Photos) / How GEJ's Govt. Used Bullion Vans To Cart Away N67.2bn From CBN - Premium Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Ayekotoo(m): 12:26pm On Sep 13, 2013
…As Governor Fashola urges other corporate bodies to invest on security Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Monday received a donation of 25 Toyota patrol Vans from MTN Nigeria to the State Security Trust Fund, expressing the hope that Nigerians would one day understand the necessity for a much more formal participation of States and Local Governments in the management of security.

The Governor who spoke at the Lagos House,Ikeja during a courtesy visit by the management of MTN Nigeria led by its Managing Director, Mr Michael Ikpoki and the subsequent handover of the 25 patrol vans, added that there are 108 divisional Police headquarters in Lagos currently and that one of the issues that have always been looked at during most security meetings was about how to get patrol vehicles for each of them.

He explained that the ability of the divisional command in each of the Police divisions to even police their areas of operation was quite challenging “because some of them don’t even have vehicles at all to patrol”.

Governor Fashola reiterated that protection of life and property remains the most important responsibility of every government because, according to him every other responsibility, such as schools and buildings can generally be replaced but the unique asset of life once it is lost, is lost irretrievably”. Describing the donation as an investment in not only MTN personnel, the Governor pointed out that the overall wellbeing and safety of the staffers also translates into the protection of the human capital that the company has invested so much to develop and nurture.

“I thank the MTN brand for making this voluntary contribution because if you had decided to capitalize this expense and put them in your businesses or declare them as part of your profit and after paying taxes, you distribute them among your shareholders, nobody would have any lawful basis to disagree with your decision to do so. But the ability you have to look beyond your shoulder and decide that whatever the size of the contribution, let us give back something in support of what is not only a good cause but a very sensible business investment is commendable because it is only in an environment of some security efficiency that your businesses can thrive”, he added.

The Governor commended the commitment of MTN to improve the quality of ICT services that are available not only from its stable but also in the larger field, adding that the ability of the State. to deliver services in a much more efficient manner is going to be dependent on that.
“For example, we have finished the basic frame work for the issuance of electronic Certificate of Occupancy (C of Os) but in going through those. documents now, millions of pages of document that one needs to read through and okay. There is only that much that you can carry at a time. given the limited bandwidth that is available to this State. So in seeking efficiency, we are limited by technology and therefore the quicker we get the larger bandwidth, the better”.

“The commitment that has been reported to you about my seating in meetings with telecom operators is really because I see the big picture that you see and as I have told my team, the erection of Masts and Towers, Rights –of- Way cannot be a basis upon which the revenue of these State can be decided. There is no revenue there as far as I am concerned, the revenue is in the business opportunity that will be enabled by more technology, by more bandwidth, by more speed, by more capacity to manage and process data. So, in that respect, we are on the same page”, Governor Fashola explained.

He reiterated that for him it is not acceptable for the State to lose a road because he is gaining a bandwidth but would rather want to keep a road. and also keep the bandwidth. “It is not acceptable also if I have fiber optic cables and I have a new road, to lose either of those because somebody wants to lay a gas pipeline, I also want that as well”, he said.

http://www.blackface.mobi/index.php/9-news/nigerian-news/509-mtn-donates-25-toyota-patrol-vans-to-lagos-security-trust-fund

Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Ayekotoo(m): 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2013
According to him: “So it is about the efficiencies that your contractors can bring on to the board in how they approach our roads, finding out first whether we have ducts before they dig first and ask us later, by collaborating with the Ministry of Works early in the year”.

“Immediately we pass our budget, we expect also to hear from you that you want to lay cables on this roads, you want to lay ducts on these roads and that you can see immediately from our work in January that we may have to wait two or three months to allow you do that instead of finishing the road only for you to come and cut, so those are the real issues on which we need to continue to talk about”, Governor Fashola added.

Expressing the hope that the telecom operators would focus on improving the quality of service, Governor Fashola said several people are compelled to carry multiple telephone handsets because they complain that in some places they cannot get services, stressing that some people may have ported from one network to the other but that before more people begin to port, the serious members of the business must raise their game.

“I think the next pitch is quality of service. Now we have telephones we are going to ask for more and it is not coming from all of those raffles and free services, it is coming from when the network is really busy and people get through and it is only when calls are being made in festive seasons when everybody is on a system that we can really test the reliability of the system.

“I mean, if we can make calls in Saudi Arabia where there are three to four million pilgrims in the small city of Mecca on pilgrimage at the same time, it tells you about how robust that system has become, it wasn’t like that five years ago, the system used to shut down literarily but now I can speak from there and I hope that you and your competitors would get us there in the shortest possible time. I hope it would be the beginning of a much more robust relationship between you and us”, the Governor stressed.

Speaking earlier, the Managing director and C.E.O of MTN Nigeria, Mr Michael Ikpoki, who led the team, said MTN recognizes fully the development agenda of Lagos State in developing the State to be an economic hub and a new mega city, adding that one of the things MTN would do was to be working closely on how to fully identify and support those objectives in terms of providing the relevant ICT especially in line with the new vision for the company.

“I want to on behalf of MTN thank you for personal support towards some of the issues we have had as an industry. We would continue to count on your support to address some of the challenges we have in the areas of roll out and having a harmonised tax regime that would enable us roll out faster and deliver better ICT services to support the development in Lagos State”.

“Today, the cars that we are donating is in line with our continued support for the State Security Trust Fund. We recognize that development can only be achieved in an atmosphere of security and I just want to assure you on behalf of MTN that we would continue to support the State Government in that regard”, Mr Ikpoki added. Earlier in his introductory remarks, the Executive Secretary of the State Security Trust Fund, Mr Fola Arthur-Worrey said the visit and the donation by MTN indicate the strong bond of trust that exists between MTN, Lagos State and the Lagos State Security Trust Fund.

Arthur- Worrey said if only other companies of the size and function of MTN would join the Security Trust Fund, he was very certain that the Fund would achieve most of the goals it has set up to achieve, adding: “I am sure with your visit today and your donation, they would be inspired to do as you do”.
Prominent among those who joined the Governor in receiving the team from MTN and later the donated vehicles were the Deputy Governor, Hon Mrs Adejoke Orelope- Adefulire, the Commissioners for Finance, Mr Ayo Gbeleyi, Economic Planning and Budget, Mr Ben Akabueze, Agriculture and Co-operatives, Mr Gbolahan Lawal, Information and Strategy, Mr Lateef Ibirogba and Special Adviser on Security, Major Tunde Panox (rtd) while Mr Ikpoiki was accompanied by senior management staffers including the Executive Secretary of the MTN Foundation, Ms Nony Ugboma, Corporate Services Executive, Mr Wale Goodluck, General Manager, Regulatory Affairs, Mrs Oyeronke Oyetunde and other management staffers.

1 Like

Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by ProfOgogoro: 12:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
Lagos!!

Always in the news for the right reason...

1 Like

Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by egift(m): 1:07pm On Sep 13, 2013
Nice development. EmptyN, everywhere you go!
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Tolexander: 1:34pm On Sep 13, 2013
Thanks emptyhen!

Hope say the money for this won't eventually be raked from us in multiple fold!

1 Like

Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 13, 2013
Hmm, nice one, but I know MTN they never do anything for free.

ETISALAT.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by CocoLoca(f): 1:42pm On Sep 13, 2013
They did well.. But my BIS will expire soon. angry
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by wellmax(m): 1:43pm On Sep 13, 2013
25 more Patrol of Extortion
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by sanandreas(m): 1:44pm On Sep 13, 2013
What about other host state? Na only lagos MTN dey? Y not support bornu state since they have security challenges if u really want to help. By the way MTN stop sending useless messages.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 13, 2013
MTN always knows how to het their money back, in the name of network ish, they will cut ur credits and swallow your internet bundle. grin
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by fitzmayowa: 1:47pm On Sep 13, 2013
MTN everywhere you go

*dodges* stone, slap and kicks #running for dear live

1 Like

Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 13, 2013
now I'm scared cos mtn will not do such thing for free

it's all coming back to us!!!

1 Like

Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by McDoe(m): 1:49pm On Sep 13, 2013
Lagos state; always on the move. Thank you MTN. However, pls still bring down your calls and related charges.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Alexpetra: 1:49pm On Sep 13, 2013
I dont tink we need dis...GOOD RELIABLE NETWORK DAT WOT WE NEED

1 Like

Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by yorke1: 1:54pm On Sep 13, 2013
I thought they said 25 but all i could count are 17.

1 Like

Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Umennajiego(m): 1:57pm On Sep 13, 2013
No matter how bad eMpTyheN might be,i still see other networks playing 2nd fiddle to MTN......
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by njuwo(m): 2:00pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ayekotoo: …As Governor Fashola urges other corporate bodies to invest on security Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Monday received a donation of 25 Toyota patrol Vans from MTN Nigeria to the State Security Trust Fund, expressing the hope that Nigerians would one day understand the necessity for a much more formal participation of States and Local Governments in the management of security.

The Governor who spoke at the Lagos House,Ikeja during a courtesy visit by the management of MTN Nigeria led by its Managing Director, Mr Michael Ikpoki and the subsequent handover of the 25 patrol vans, added that there are 108 divisional Police headquarters in Lagos currently and that one of the issues that have always been looked at during most security meetings was about how to get patrol vehicles for each of them.

He explained that the ability of the divisional command in each of the Police divisions to even police their areas of operation was quite challenging “because some of them don’t even have vehicles at all to patrol”.

Governor Fashola reiterated that protection of life and property remains the most important responsibility of every government because, according to him every other responsibility, such as schools and buildings can generally be replaced but the unique asset of life once it is lost, is lost irretrievably”. Describing the donation as an investment in not only MTN personnel, the Governor pointed out that the overall wellbeing and safety of the staffers also translates into the protection of the human capital that the company has invested so much to develop and nurture.

“I thank the MTN brand for making this voluntary contribution because if you had decided to capitalize this expense and put them in your businesses or declare them as part of your profit and after paying taxes, you distribute them among your shareholders, nobody would have any lawful basis to disagree with your decision to do so. But the ability you have to look beyond your shoulder and decide that whatever the size of the contribution, let us give back something in support of what is not only a good cause but a very sensible business investment is commendable because it is only in an environment of some security efficiency that your businesses can thrive”, he added.

The Governor commended the commitment of MTN to improve the quality of ICT services that are available not only from its stable but also in the larger field, adding that the ability of the State. to deliver services in a much more efficient manner is going to be dependent on that.
“For example, we have finished the basic frame work for the issuance of electronic Certificate of Occupancy (C of Os) but in going through those. documents now, millions of pages of document that one needs to read through and okay. There is only that much that you can carry at a time. given the limited bandwidth that is available to this State. So in seeking efficiency, we are limited by technology and therefore the quicker we get the larger bandwidth, the better”.

“The commitment that has been reported to you about my seating in meetings with telecom operators is really because I see the big picture that you see and as I have told my team, the erection of Masts and Towers, Rights –of- Way cannot be a basis upon which the revenue of these State can be decided. There is no revenue there as far as I am concerned, the revenue is in the business opportunity that will be enabled by more technology, by more bandwidth, by more speed, by more capacity to manage and process data. So, in that respect, we are on the same page”, Governor Fashola explained.

He reiterated that for him it is not acceptable for the State to lose a road because he is gaining a bandwidth but would rather want to keep a road. and also keep the bandwidth. “It is not acceptable also if I have fiber optic cables and I have a new road, to lose either of those because somebody wants to lay a gas pipeline, I also want that as well”, he said.

http://www.blackface.mobi/index.php/9-news/nigerian-news/509-mtn-donates-25-toyota-patrol-vans-to-lagos-security-trust-fund
Oboile na wa, see SOURCE o. Blackface no dey sing music again, d guy don run enta blogging.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by olaolaking: 2:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
Thank you empty hen. Even with this news, I MUST PORT to Etisalat before now and Sunday. I am doing the processing right here. Buying air plane cannot stop me at the moment
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by moscobabs(m): 2:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
they are making another Advert ..so Fashola is MTN ambassador now.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Capnd143(m): 2:09pm On Sep 13, 2013
B4 i comment, why is nairaland so scanty today? ASUU don call off strike? Abi na 'END TIME TINS' ?
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by njuwo(m): 2:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
Mtn knw wetin dem dey do, as dem don donate all dis vans so eh, when area dey anyhw pple go come call d patrol vans numbers, after dem talk for one minute without beta talk eh, mtn go cum cut d call pple go won cum call bak due to d insecurity as @ dat tym for area, e b lyk say mtn dn plan am with d patrol officers, i gv u, u gv me. Na joke o, abeg, no b my mouth una take hear say bicycle jam person die for market o.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by jaso1(m): 2:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
This is a good move toward security effectiveness in the state. The bigest mobile operator company in Africa has deem it fit to contribute its quaters to security efficiency in Lagos state and this should be emulated by others. It's a way of giving back to the community, it will realy assist our security force in curbing any sign of insecurity. Kudos to MTN and may your network be stronger to the taste of your subscribers.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Madamspeaker(f): 2:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dat means i no go make call wiv my mtn line 4 next 1 mnth....cus e go red for me...
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by YoshiMaster: 2:12pm On Sep 13, 2013
While I applaud MTN for their contribution, I must say that vans don't look good on police, maybe they they would be better suited for soldiers.

Are they suppose to pack suspects and just throw them in the back of the truck?
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by anonimi: 2:12pm On Sep 13, 2013
@ OP,

Is the value of this donated items on top of the almost N=500 billion budget of Lagos in 2013 or already included
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Pennywise(m): 2:13pm On Sep 13, 2013
This was well considered by MTN on many fronts.

First, they refused to monetize this act of good will or give cash to a security 'trust fund'.

Secondly, they gave vehicles that can not easily be sold out or converted by the police or govt functionaries unlike the Prado jeeps that were donated in the past.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Delafruita(m): 2:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
anonimi: @ OP,

Is the value of this donated items on top of the almost N=500 billion budget of Lagos in 2013 or already included
you are beginning to make a fool of yourself.is equipping the police the job of the state government?perhaps you don't know what sour state the police force is in.lagos state government takes better care of police officers posted to lagos than even the federal government.lagos state provides accidental and death benefits to officers on special squads like the RRS and others.a friend of mine was injured in the line of duty 2years ago and aside from footing his bills,the state government ensured his rehabilitation and physiotherapy.the NPF didn't lift a finger.another officer died in the course of duty last year and while the LASG immediately released 2million naira to his familythe superiors in abuja kept giving one excuse after the other and am not even certain his family has received his death benefit.why do you think crime rate is down in lagos?you think its because the retardeen budgetted 1trillion for security?its because fashola has taken proactive steps to boost morale in the force.imagine what will happen when lagos has its own police force

2 Likes

Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by titiakins: 2:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
eko o ni baje ooo
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Afroconnect: 2:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
All hail Sir Fashola,best performing governor Nigeria has ever seen.
Eko'Onibaje...till the end of time.
The ACN or APC must ensure they allow Fashola continue indefinitely as Governor of the state.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by akandea(m): 3:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
As if it is the problem, abeg! Improve your services or network and stop perpetuating daylight robbery with your many nameless promos in the name of taking Nigerians credits.
Re: MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
grin good move by MTN. This will serve as a deterrent for those who are fond of damaging MTN "pipeline"

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fanatic Buhari Defender Unable To Counter These Arguements On Facebook!! Read It / FG Pledges To Partner GPBN Towards Eradication Of Fake News / Festus Keyamo(san) Drops The Mother Of All Bombs!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.