Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,430 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones (4871 Views)

Testing The Tecno Camon C8's Camera In A Silly Duel / Smartphones You Should Avoid / MTN/Glo GPRS Configuration for Windows Smartphones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by xynerise: 5:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
Smartphones are getting smarter all the time, but the people using them aren't necessarily doing so. Today, we have devices at our disposal that snap photos faster than you can blink, surf the Web at speeds that make your home broadband jealous and download apps that can do everything and anything. So why are we so dumb sometimes when it comes to using these powerful pocket-size computers? If you do any of these 10 things with your smartphone on a regular basis, you probably don’t deserve to own one.

Obsessively Take and Share Pictures of Food
Hey, look at this chocolate cream pie I made! And these kung pao chicken tacos! And don’t forget my blueberry limoncello cooler! I love food as much as the next guy — in fact, "Restaurant: Impossible" is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. But I just don’t get this obsession with taking photos of eats and sharing them with Facebook and Instagram friends. The only time I want to stare at pictures of food is right before I order it off of a menu.

Try to Settle Arguments via Texting
I don’t know when this happened, but at some point humans thought it was a good idea to text a loved one or friend with their anger or disappointment instead of actually talking to them. Yes, sending a text is easier, but you lose two very critical ingredients: context and tone. (No, emoticons don’t count as tone.) I’ve seen way too many seemingly innocuous exchanges devolve into digital shouting matches over a texting misunderstanding.
Hey, you could always Skype video call to apologize so they know you mean it.

Use Your Smartphone as a Lighter at a Concert

The first time I saw thousands of people use their phones at a Coldplay concert as a lighter replacement I thought to myself, “That’s cute.” Five years later, I think it’s time to move on. Today, you can download all sorts of apps that look like real lighters, including a Zippo lighter that opens with a flick of your wrist and a turn of your thumb. How meta! I would rather you blow cigarette smoke in my face than witness this display of mass stupidity.

Take Too Many Selfies (Duck Face Included)

Part of me wishes that front-facing cameras on smartphones were never invented. That’s because way too many people feel the need to take self-portraits and share them with the world. “Look at me out with my friends drinking — again!” You know the type. For these people, the smartphone should be smart enough to cap how many selfies they take. Siri: “That’s enough, Jenny. They get it.” And while we’re on the subject, please avoid taking selfies with your duck face on. Even as an ironic gesture, it’s over.
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by xynerise: 6:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
Use Your Phone as a Boombox in a Public Space
Today’s smartphones can get pretty darn loud — the HTC One’s dual stereo speakers come to mind. In fact, a commercial for the
phone has some hipsters rocking out to the device in the middle of a cafe (or bar, I can’t tell). The problem is that no human being should ever do that, unless your goal is to annoy everyone else around you.
I’ve seen lots of people in Lagos use their smartphones as mini boomboxes.

Taking Calls or Incessantly Checking Phone in Elevator

Think about how long you typically spend on an elevator ride, even if there’s a few stops along the way. We’re talking 20, or maybe as many as 40, seconds. And yet, as a society, we’ve become so averse to eye contact and real human interaction that we’d rather stare at the same inbox or Facebook news feed that’s waiting for us five feet from the elevator door.

Worse, some of us make the horrible decision to continue a call as we get on the elevator, making the obligatory announcement that “I may lose you; I’m getting on an elevator.” I have a better idea. Wait!

Smartphoning While Walking

Would you ever walk across a busy intersection with your head down if you didn’t have a smartphone in your hand? If you answered “no,” congratulations, you’re sane. So why is it OK to risk your life just to like your friend’s snarky comment about Gwyneth Paltrow’s see-through dress?
Fortunately, some folks are working on litigating some common sense into your brain. Fort Lee, N.J., issued a ban against texting while cross the street, and Nevada has introduced a similar bill.

Keep Notification Volume on Full Blast All the Freakin’ Time
I totally feel you. You don’t want to miss that critical tweet about the latest “Man of Steel” trailer. But when you’re heading into an important meeting, the last thing your colleagues want to hear is “DROID” screaming from your phone or that damn Samsung whistle coming from your Galaxy.
Do the world a favor and drill into your settings and do what needs to be done. Or I’m going to hunt you down and turn it off myself. Unless I’m using Apple Maps. Then you’re safe.

http://news.yahoo.com/10-amazingly-dumb-things-smartphones-034939756.html
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Anyi3(m): 6:49pm On Sep 13, 2013
checking nairaland when you oughta be working

1 Like

Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Francheezy(m): 7:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
Brb......
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by physise(m): 7:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
Anyi.:
checking nairaland when you oughta be working
lol
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by OCTAVO: 8:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
Flaunting your phone at the slightest opportunity to display your phone brand...
Very peculiar to BB, iPhone, iPad and Samsung Galaxy series users. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by ajasa4link: 9:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
putting ur phone inside ur Bible and using scope to press it while preaching is going on in church...
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by kelsonpoint(m): 9:05pm On Sep 13, 2013
Flaunting your phone while buying garri grin

Front page tinz

1 Like

Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Mubby4luv(m): 9:47pm On Sep 13, 2013
Am following, buh most ov them are not Applicable
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 13, 2013
f
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Wendyslim(f): 9:48pm On Sep 13, 2013
Going about with ur fone charger looking for a place to charge.

5 Likes

Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Okaka27(m): 9:49pm On Sep 13, 2013
downloading s3x movies grin
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by fr3do(m): 9:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
Temple run

3 Likes

Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
Taking NUDE pictures oops sorry new pictures and sharing grin angry
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by scientology(m): 9:51pm On Sep 13, 2013
its not silly xcept the phone was stolen
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
Wendyslim: Going about with ur fone charger looking for a place to charge.
seriously u cuff me here.
I ve one charger at home,
One in d car,
One in my office.

My fone is just part of my life, even wen I lost my fone sometime around march, d 3days it took d Mobile company 2 send me a new one was as if I was death.
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by articleplux: 9:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Gbade60: 9:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
Pls who's knows ASUU website? I want to donate 9 million naira!

1 Like

Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Stunner1(f): 9:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
Selfies grin, duck face cheesy soooo me
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by emmanuel4758(m): 9:54pm On Sep 13, 2013
callin obama wen am less bussy and flashin putin wen am so angry
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by demelza: 9:54pm On Sep 13, 2013
ajasa4link: putting ur phone inside ur Bible and using scope to press it while preaching is going on in church...
Jesus forgive him.
When you jam sleep-inducing preachers, no one will tell you to shaperly locate your phone to avoid embarassing yourself.
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Gombs(m): 9:59pm On Sep 13, 2013
When you have like 9 chat platforms
Jeeez, I be like Whaaaa!

Bbm
Whatsapp
2go
Facebook
Twitter
Wechat
Hangout
Eskimi
Badoo

I almost siezed Sebastine's phone
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by ascek(m): 10:00pm On Sep 13, 2013
Rather the silly things my phone does to me.
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by phreddie(m): 10:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by OCTAVO: 10:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
Requesting for BBM pin unnecessarily grin
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by sogoisrael(m): 10:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
ighoosagie: seriously u cuff me here.
I ve one charger at home,
One in d car,
One in my office.

My fone is just part of my life, even wen I lost my fone sometime around march, d 3days it took d Mobile company 2 send me a new one was as if I was death.
you
were death,uuhnn!!!!.
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Nobody: 10:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
OCTAVO: Requesting for BB pin unnecessarily grin
its really b long I saw someone used blackberry.

I use mine as flashlight at night
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by gratiaeo(m): 10:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
Downloading po.rnography pictures
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Caracta(f): 10:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
Taking pictures of accident and suicide victims when you should be helping them.

3 Likes

Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
i get exam 2morrow o!
This phone self. Make i off am.

4 where? Nairaland tinz. No p! I go pass grin
Re: Silly Things We Do With Our Smartphones by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 13, 2013
pinging in church

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Modern Combat 4/5 Vs Call Of Duty:strike Team/heroes / Infinix Race Max Q / A Snitch Just Reported The Glo Free Browsing Cheat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.