Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Smartphones You Should Avoid - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Smartphones You Should Avoid (14182 Views)

10 Cheap Quality Android Smartphones You Can Buy In Nigeria With N20k Minimum / Top 10 Best Smartphones You Can Buy Right Now. / 3 Samsung Galaxy Smartphones You Can Buy Below #15,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smartphones You Should Avoid by White007(m): 2:23pm On Oct 22, 2011
There is no better time than now to purchase a smartphone. Apple’s iPhone 4S and the soon-to-be released Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Motorola RAZR are setting new standards in smartphone functionality, reliability and design.

In fact, these top-of-the-line devices are setting a higher bar for everyone else in the cellular industry. Top-selling smartphones and one-time household names are increasingly becoming obsolete. And while less advanced and older-model phones will no doubt be discounted to compete, you will still end up paying in the long run. You will likely spend spend several hundred dollars to use your phone over the course of a two-year contract. So you’re better off ponying up more at the time of purchase to get the best possible device.

With that in mind, you should think twice before purchasing these popular smartphones.

Motorola Droid X2

This is not a terrible phone by any means, and when released last May was viewed as one of the best phones to run on Google’s Android operating system. But with the new and improved RAZR on the horizon, and already-released Motorola devices like the Droid Bionic, Droid 3, and Atrix 2 available, the Droid X2 is starting to look a little long in the tooth. To its credit, the Droid X2 does rock a dual-core processor, which makes surfing the web super-fast. Yet this capability is becoming standard among top-of-the-line smartphones including the iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Nexus (dubbed the Nexus Prime), and the Motorola RAZR. Further, the Droid X2 doesn’t offer 4G/LTE capabilities, and was plagued with issues when Android released a software update earlier this year.

BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370

While BlackBerry Curve model smartphones are — like the ads say — slim and stylish, they aren’t exactly “easy to use.” Being slim is actually a detriment to these newer Curve models, which were released earlier this month after an initial delay. Both the BlackBerry Bold and BlackBerry Torch models offer far more screen real-estate to make your smartphone experience a little bit smoother. The Curve is also plagued by poor battery life, which for many BlackBerry addicts is a deal-breaker. BlackBerry creator Research in Motion, which also a few short years ago was the most respected smartphone manufacturer in the world, is having even bigger issues. The company recently suffered a huge outage that cut service for approximately 70 million users around the world. While this may have been a one-off incident, worries about the network’s durability are likely to prevail for some time.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by White007(m): 2:26pm On Oct 22, 2011
Continue from Top. . .

HTC EVO 4G

As the first 4G smartphone on the nation’s first 4G network, Sprint subscribers with a need for speed couldn’t pick up an HTC EVO fast enough when it became available last year. This is still a respectable device and offers good value for the money with its big 4.3-inch screen and WiMax capabilities. However, for Sprint subscribers who want an Android phone, there are newer and better options today. The EVO 3D boasts similar specs, but offers more than just a 3D camera. Upgrades for the EVO 3D include a dual-core processor, better screen resolution and a bigger battery. The phone is also less bulky. The recently announced HTC EVO Design, smaller and less powerful than the original EVO 4G, offers dual bands which is great for international travel.

Palm Pre 2

Many of us who owned handheld comptuers before smartphones have a soft spot for Palm, a pioneer in personal data assistant revolution. In recent years, Palm loyalists could still look forward to new devices put out by HP that ran on the underrated WebOS mobile operating software. Today, you can pick up a trusty Pre 2 for $149.99 with a new two-year Verizon contract. However, don’t expect to get much out of the Pre 2 aside from a nice nostalgic effect. This past summer, HP announced that it was getting out of the mobile operating software business completely and that it would longer be releasing new smartphones. Support for webOS might not be forthcoming in the future, so if you run into software problems with the Pre 2 or any Palm device, you may have a hard time fixing them.

Motorola Titanium

The Titanium was already outdated by the time it was released in June. Motorola curiously shipped the Titanium with the older Android 2.1 software (codename Eclair). This was two generations of software behind what was available for Android phones at the time. This means that many new apps and games available for other Android phones could not be downloaded to the Titanium. The Titanium’s elegant and sturdy hardware and novel ‘push to talk’ walkie-talkie capabilities do not make up for its internal deficiencies.

HTC Surround

This smartphone runs on AT&T and uses Windows Phone 7 as its operating system. The HTC Surround has been touted for its impressive audio qualities with Dolby surround sound and pop-up speakers (instead of a slide-out keyboard, little speakers emerge instead). Trouble is, it’s a little thick and heavy. While its interesting audio capabilities are nice selling points, it doesn’t excel in other areas. For starters, there are numerous complaints about the device not syncing with non-Exchange Microsoft Outlook accounts. What’s the point of having a Microsoft phone without reliable Outlook access? If you need a Windows Phone 7 device, there are certainly better options available like the Samsung Focus.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by White007(m): 2:29pm On Oct 22, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S

The original Samsung Galaxy series includes the Fascinate on Verizon, the Epic on Sprint, the Captivate on AT&T and the Vibrant on T-Mobile. These Android phones were released last year and boasted vibrant displays and plenty of horsepower. Trouble is, they are completely superseded now by the bigger and better Samsung Galaxy S II and upcoming Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The already available S II ups the ante with its higher-definition screen, dual-core processor, more RAM and a better camera. It’s a device that will hold up a lot better over a two-year contract, and will likely continue to receive upcoming Android software updates, which the original Galaxy S may not. While original Galaxy smartphones can be purchased quite cheaply, and still perform competently, for a few extra bucks it is worth investing in a device with a brighter future.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Frazy(f): 6:29am On Oct 23, 2011
Thanks indeed for the info.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 23, 2011
Any 1 using windows 7.5
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by N101: 10:45am On Oct 24, 2011
I would still opt for the Samsung Galaxy S over the S2. I don't need a 4"+ screen, and 8GB internal memory is more than enough for me.

In fact, the Galaxy S has been superceded by the Galaxy S Plus (or Galaxy S 2011 as it's known in some circles).
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by otumfour(m): 11:16am On Oct 24, 2011
N101:

I would still opt for the Samsung Galaxy S over the S2. I don't need a 4"+ screen, and 8GB internal memory is more than enough for me.

In fact, the Galaxy S has been superceded by the Galaxy S Plus (or Galaxy S 2011 as it's known in some circles).

Lol! Wht tha heck is galaxy plus or galaxy s 2001
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by IbroSaunks(m): 11:21am On Oct 24, 2011
i also wont completely push the Samsung galaxy s away, i think its a nice package for its price,
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by tunyus(m): 11:24am On Oct 24, 2011
Av tried NOKIA 3310, is a very lovely and fast  phone to browse the Internet
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 24, 2011
tunyus:

U must high in the 60s
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 24, 2011
tunyus:

U must be high in the 60s
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by ochukoccna: 11:40am On Oct 24, 2011
White007:

There is no better time than now to purchase a smartphone. Apple’s iPhone 4S and the soon-to-be released Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Motorola RAZR are setting new standards in smartphone functionality, reliability and design.

They are already out.

@OP, apart from the Palm Pre2 because of HP's decision to face Enterprise Computing squarely,I think all the above phones will/are still be hits in the 9ja phone sphere.
In reality, how many 9ja peeps have even ever handled a smartphone before?
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by ochukoccna: 11:42am On Oct 24, 2011
Good post though for those who are on the cutting edge as per smartphones. smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by docjuli(m): 11:46am On Oct 24, 2011
@ OP

Are you Marty Gabel,  the Associate Editor for Appolicious and AndroidApps.com. If not, please give credit to him and always include link to any info such as "copy & paste".

Popular smartphones no longer worth buying
Posted October 21, 2011 12:05pm by Marty Gabel

link: http://www.appolicious.com/tech/articles/9981-popular-smartphones-no-longer-worth-buying

Cheers
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by otokx(m): 12:03pm On Oct 24, 2011
nice one docjuli
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by blank(f): 12:21pm On Oct 24, 2011
How about the Nokia dual sim, touch phone? That is the Nokia C2-06.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by CuteTj(m): 12:49pm On Oct 24, 2011
@ochukoccna, wat do u mean by how many peeps in naija has used an handheld device? When Palm Tungsten II was released back then, i got my own 37 days after. Come to Naija and see latest & different of devices in the urban areas.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 24, 2011
thanks for the info op
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by joanana(f): 2:48pm On Oct 24, 2011
odiaero:

U must be high in the 60s

what do u mean by how many 9ja peeps have even ever handled a smartphone before? This is an insult? maybe u vent handle any one. we do ve gadget freaks in 9ja if u must know. Samsung Galaxy S 2 is very where in Lagos same with Nokia N9.

Come on!!!!! Please do a thorough research.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Oba234: 3:51pm On Oct 24, 2011
currently possess the Samsung Galaxy S. I like it and I don't plan on upgrading it anytime soon.Its hard to keep up with the latest phones since new ones are being released every couple of months
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Yeske2(m): 3:53pm On Oct 24, 2011
tunyus:

Nice one.lol
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by ochukoccna: 4:47pm On Oct 24, 2011
CuteTj:

@ochukoccna, wat do u mean by how many peeps in naija has used an handheld device? When Palm Tungsten II was released back then, i got my own 37 days after. Come to Naija and see latest & different of devices in the urban areas.

Note the bolded part
It's not only urban areas that have phone users
I recall a poll that ran on Nairaland about 1 month back about the top 5 phones used in 9ja & remembered that China phones topped it
I'll paste the thread here if i can dig it up
Think more broadly& see that most of us base our judgments by our friends who use similar phones and are tech savvy
Rethink about the different Nigerian people in different spheres of daily living and see if I'm right or wrong
I said most Nigerians not your social circle of friends
Hope you get it now

joanana:

what do u mean by how many 9ja peeps have even ever handled a smartphone before? This is an insult? maybe u vent  handle any one. we do ve gadget freaks in 9ja if u must know. Samsung Galaxy S 2 is very where in Lagos same with Nokia N9.
Come on!!!!! Please do a thorough research.

In a country where over 70% of the people live on less than $2 a day?
I believe my statement is thorough enough
9ja is bigger than Lagos city
I hope you know that tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by kabukabu50(m): 5:28pm On Oct 24, 2011
ochukoccna:

Note the bolded part
I recall a poll that ran on Nairaland about 1 month back about the top 5 phones used in 9ja & remembered that China phones topped it
Think more broadly& see that most of us base our judgments by our friends who use similar phones and are tech savvy
Rethink about the different Nigerian people in different spheres of daily living and see if I'm right or wrong
Hope you get it now

[b]is bigger9ja than Lagos cityIn a country where over 70% of the people live on less than $2 a day?
I believe my statement is thorough enough[/b]I hope you know that tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin

LMAO, Most nigerians live vicariously through Lagos, they believe if it is in Lagos automatically its everywhere else, grin
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by texazzpete(m): 6:18pm On Oct 24, 2011
ochukoccna:

Note the bolded part
Hope you get it now

In a country where over 70% of the people live on less than $2 a day?
I believe my statement is thorough enough
9ja is bigger than Lagos city
I hope you know that tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin grin

I hope you know that those ancient Nokia Series 60 phones are smartphones? Ditto for the old Windows Mobile handsets and the millions of Blackberry users in Nigeria.

ochukoccna:

They are already out.

That's misinformation. neither the Galaxy Nexus or the Droid RAZR have been released to the public yet.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by OhmstAR(m): 6:19pm On Oct 24, 2011
With all these new phones coming out and having better features, which one are we to buy?
There's samsung, bb, apple, and d rest of em. I'm tired of changing phones ooooo
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by aieromon(m): 7:29pm On Oct 24, 2011
ochukoccna:

In reality, how many 9ja peeps have even ever handled a smartphone before?

musKeeto:

@OP: I feel your info is more relevant to members of this forum who reside in the States. A more Nigerian-friendly post will be appreciated,

The few of us who rock smartphones in Nigeria follow the trend,thank you.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by CuteTj(m): 7:47pm On Oct 24, 2011
@ochukoccna. U said SMARTPHONES rite? Do u knw d amount of smartphone(any kind of smartphone e.g apple,blackberry,htc,samsung e.t.c) users in urban areas in Naija? Many Naija people are sophisticated forget the suffering you see or hear about.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Nobody: 3:00am On Oct 25, 2011
aieromon:

The few of us who rock smartphones in Nigeria follow the trend,thank you.
I'm not saying Nigerians do not follow the trend. I'm just saying neither AT&T nor Verizon is a Nigerian network, so do not expect their customised phone versions
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Ultrame(m): 9:18am On Oct 25, 2011
cyclops4real:

Any 1 using windows 7.5

You bet. I use the HTC HD 7. Fantastic device.

@post

Great review, but i disagree with your review of the HTC Surround. If you've actually held one, you'll know it's a great device no ore no less.

The syncing problem u mentioned was a general issue for all windows phone 7 and there's a fairly easy workaround by downloading and installing Microsoft active sync.

Cheers.
Re: Smartphones You Should Avoid by Xionez(m): 10:43am On Oct 25, 2011
Who dey talk N9 here?!
Have you seen it. Hope it is not one useless piece of plastic they put up for display and not the real thing. Even Nokia store in CV dont have it in stock.

Ok, if you have, what is the price and where?#

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Install Google Playstore Coolpad Android Phone / What Could Be The Cause Of Innjoo Quietness Lately? / My Infinix Hot Note X551 Gone Mad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.