Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal (2869 Views)

Windows 8 Gaming On Lumia Devices / Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal / PHOTO: Root Your Android Without PC Tested ON N7 Tecno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by dragnet: 3:07pm On Sep 14, 2013
A report by the New York Times sheds light on what Nokia’s future could have looked like without Microsoft in it. Allegedly, the Finnish company was testing Android on Lumia devices before the deal with Microsoft was announced.
Nokia had the option to get out of the Microsoft
partnership in late 2014. Testing out Android devices was
preparing the company for such a future. According to
NYT’s sources, getting Nokia devices to boot Android was
an easy task to accomplish from an engineering
perspective. Microsoft executives were apparently aware of the Android project inside Nokia. However, its existence wasn’t part of the acquisition negotiations.
A potential switch to Android by Nokia would have had
massive consequences for Microsoft. The software giant
would have taken a particularly serious hit, as Nokia
accounts for over 80% of all Windows Phone devices sold.
Nokia would have certainly gotten the better part from
such a deal (the company’s current share of the
smartphone market is 3% for the first half of 2013, down
from 32.8% in 2010) – Android powers about three
quarters of all smartphones sold globally.
So, there it is, folks. Nokia smartphone with Android was
indeed a real possibility. Considering the new reality for
the Finnish company however, we doubt it will actually
happen.

Source
Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by OCTAVO: 3:45pm On Sep 14, 2013
That's ok. wink
But the market is already saturated cheesy
It will take serious hard work for them to gain relevance. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by duwdu: 4:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
Nokia is still well respected AND trusted to provide superb hardware for the buck. The company will have good success if, somehow, it manages to switch to the Android OS for the company's superb hardware.

Unfortunately for Nokia (as led to destruction by Elop,) Microsoft will lose a lot of face and followership should the Android OS take over on Nokia hardware. Because then, there'd be no going back and no more saving grace for the Windows OS on mobile devices.

Otherwise what other thing/point does Microsoft intend to achieve/prove with a dwindling three percent share of the market for mobile devices? SMDH.

I honestly wish and pray that Microsoft would just let Nokia go. That way, Nokia should find its legendary mojo back.

And we consumers will be the happier for it. Nokia will also start making sustainable money and profit again.

P34c3

1 Like

Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by sniperwolf(m): 7:11pm On Sep 14, 2013
Can you really blame them?
A new report from the New York Times' Nick Wingfield
indicates that Nokia was allegedly testing out its own
Android-powered devices "well before" the company's initial
acquisition talks with Microsoft. While Wingfield's
undisclosed sources indicate that Microsoft's executives knew
about Nokia's dabbling — specifically, running Android on its
Lumia smartphones — it's unclear whether the move made
an official appearance at the two companies' negotiating
table.
You can bet, however, that the possibility of Nokia jumping
ship to Android was in Microsoft executives' minds.
What might that have done to Nokia? Come 2014, when the
company was given the option of ending its partnership with
Microsoft, Nokia could have simply pushed its devices into the
nearly 80% worldwide market share that Android currently
enjoys. Which is to say, Nokia could have simply joined an
already formidable fleet — for an unknown research and
development price that, suggests Wingfield, could have been
a "costly setback."
However, sources speaking to Wingfield also note that
porting Android over to Lumia devices was not, itself, that
difficult of a task.
Microsoft, on the other hand, would likely have taken a bit of
a smartphone haymaker were Nokia to switch to Android. Of
all the Windows Phones that Microsoft sells, Nokia devices
account for more than 80% of the total, with partners like
HTC and Samsung eating up a far smaller portion of the pie.
It's impossible to speculate just what Microsoft might have
done to fill the gap, but the fact that such a considerable gap
would have had to have been filled by the already struggling
mobile platform would have certainly presented a bit of a
challenge.
Nokia's flirtations with Android also pair up with the
frustrations that Nokia executives expressed with Microsoft
earlier this year, when they criticized the software giant for
its seemingly weaker mobile app store. In other words, a
platform missing some of the key apps that phone-owners like
to use is going to be a bit stymied in trying to convince
Android or iOS stalwarts to switch over.
"We are trying to evolve the cultural thinking [at Microsoft]
to say 'time is of the essence,' " said Nokia vice president
Bryan Biniak in a June interview with the International
Business Times. "Waiting until the end of your fiscal year
when you need to close your targets doesn't do us any good
when I have phones to sell today."
That said, even Biniak recognized the importance of the two
companies' partnership at the time, if for nothing else than
to give potential smartphone purchasers more choices and to
give Microsoft and Nokia more bargaining power with the
other smartphone manufacturing heavyweights.
Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by just2endowed: 12:51pm On May 23, 2016
dragnet:

Source

Dear dragnet. The

This is just2endowed . I noticed u have removed or delete more than 20 pages ads on my sales and marketing of genuine SanDisk and Advanced memory cards recently.

I also just noticed there is a thread on nairaland for phone ads and sales section which I didn't know earlier exist before and I have created my thread before the creation of phone ads section. I believe that's where u deem fit I violate nairaland rule. If I know how to move all my pages to phone ads section, I would have done so instead of removing a thread i sweat to create. I believe u are the admin also, it would have been better u help me move it instead of removing my thread.

I can't locate my thread again

Please, I have open the said thread as early as 2013 or late 2012 if I can recall.

Sorry I have to contact you here but if there were other means to get my attention to you I would have done that.
Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by just2endowed: 12:54pm On May 23, 2016
Mr dragnet,
If there are other violations I have made, please let me know.
Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by dragnet: 1:26pm On May 23, 2016
just2endowed:

Dear dragnet. The

This is just2endowed . I noticed u have removed or delete more than 20 pages ads on my sales and marketing of genuine SanDisk and Advanced memory cards recently.

I also just noticed there is a thread on nairaland for phone ads and sales section which I didn't know earlier exist before and I have created my thread before the creation of phone ads section. I believe that's where u deem fit I violate nairaland rule. If I know how to move all my pages to phone ads section, I would have done so instead of removing a thread i sweat to create. I believe u are the admin also, it would have been better u help me move it instead of removing my thread.

I can't locate my thread again

Please, I have open the said thread as early as 2013 or late 2012 if I can recall.

Sorry I have to contact you here but if there were other means to get my attention to you I would have done that.
your thread was in the right section, technology market, but you were dealing in copyright materials, movies and related.

1 Like

Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by just2endowed: 2:00pm On May 23, 2016
dragnet:

your thread was in the right section, technology market, but you were dealing in copyright materials, movies and related.

u mean copyright movies i said i downloaded? ok. i ran a quick scan of rules and regulation on nairaland but i didnt see where it was clearly stated i shouldnt disclose what i download specifically. now that i know my offences, i or you can kindly delete such post coz from the beginning of my thread, i did spelt out free games and videos i would offer to my customers. if i had known from the beginning of creation of my thread, i would have kindly remove it, or you give me a warning to desist from it.

on the copyright material, can u kindly explain what materials u are trying to say.
Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by just2endowed: 6:36pm On May 23, 2016
Dear dragnet,

Pls how can my thread be restored. I ask u few questions I'm my previous mail here because I need clearer clarification on what u think I have violated. I am just closing from work.
Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by dragnet: 6:52pm On May 23, 2016
just2endowed:
Dear dragnet,

Pls how can my thread be restored. I ask u few questions I'm my previous mail here because I need clearer clarification on what u think I have violated. I am just closing from work.

You were sharing copyright materials and they were fully disclosed.
I won't reply you via this medium again. Use the mail mod feature on the section the action was taken.
Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by just2endowed: 7:20pm On May 23, 2016
dragnet:

I won't reply you via this medium again. Use the mail mod feature on the section the action was taken.

Apologies for derailing here. I have pm you. Hope to get a response soonest.
Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by just2endowed: 8:01am On May 24, 2016
dragnet:

I sent you a direct message, Pls check ur mail since yesterday night
Re: Nokia Tested Android On Lumia Devices Before The Microsoft Deal by just2endowed: 4:37pm On May 24, 2016
hello dragnet,

i am still yet to get a response to the direct message i sent you.

I have done what u ask me to do

(1) (Reply)

Tecno L8 Lite Neat @19000 {SOLD} / Is Your Android Phone Better Than Mine / Iphone XR For Sale@120k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.