Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,933 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference (14664 Views)

Prof. Wole Soyinka To Buhari, Convene An Emergency Economic Conference / Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by eluquenson(m): 9:50am On Sep 15, 2013
2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference

THERE are indications that President Goodluck Jonathan may soon consider the option of a national sovereign national conference to douse political tension ahead 2015 presidential elections.

A group of political leaders from the South East and South South geopolitical zones were said to have prevailed on the President to wield it as master stroke that would put a stop to the crisis within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the current political instability.

The group, made up of hardcore supporters of the President, said immediate convocation of a Sovereign National Conference among the 389 ethnic nationalities, would douse the tension in the polity and cause combatants in the political arena to pause and think as all component groups in the country take advantage of the platform, where the basis of Nigeria’s existence will be “fully discussed and agreed.”

They are also advising the President that, in case his convoying a SNC makes it difficult for him to run for second term in 2015, he should work to hand over to a President from either the Middle Belt (North Central) or the South East geopolitical zone.

The memo, which is receiving “serious considerations” from President Jonathan, also said the SNC is needed to put a stop to the “blackmail and balkanisation” of the PDP, and give the President “the needed Plan B and C whereby he would shame his critics and stop the domination of Presidential politics by any group or region.”

THE GUARDIAN

9 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by dasparrow: 10:06am On Sep 15, 2013
@Post

Its about time! In fact, the sovereign national conference should be conducted early next year.

8 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 15, 2013
undecided
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Gbawe: 10:09am On Sep 15, 2013
I hope, for the sake of the President, this is not true. If it is, then his opponents everywhere will be ready to highlight his hypocrisy and characteristic desperation to actualise a 2015 win to the extent he now cynically turns towards hijacking something he had denied Nigerians the opportunity of exploring in the past as a veritable tool of negotiating a way forward.

Now that the world is collapsing around him, he wants to cynically and divisively rope Nigerians into his desperate fight to stay in office using the same SNC he firmly and uncompromisingly outlawed. Analysts will also not fail to highlight how this is entirely similar to how a desperate OBJ sought to use a fake SNC to rubber stamp his third term ambition.We all saw OBJ desperately spending a fortune trying to fake "the people's backing" for his effort to stay in office longer than is constitutionally allowed.

If GEJ embarks on this desperate journey, a rocket scientist will not be needed to predict that his critics will have a field day showing GEJ to be "more of the same" and worse ala African 'sit-tight' leaders who want to die in power despite being terrible leaders.

President Jonathan, stick to your words for once. Be principled. If Nigeria had "gone beyond" SNC in 2011, after you had just won and felt untouchable, then the same SNC cannot now be needed today simply because you are desperate to stay in office despite blowing the goodwill Nigerians vested in you to become a monumental disappointment behind the worsening of Nigeria's most serious problems. You have unravelled to become exactly the same as the leaders you claimed you were a departure from with your "fresh air" and "transformation" ruse.

http://ipledge2nigeria.com/index.php/articles/news/editorial-weekly/614-president-rules-out-sovereign-national-conference-.html

President rules out sovereign national conference.
Thursday, 21 October 2010 09:11 Web Team 0 Comments

President Goodluck Jonathan has rejected calls for the convocation of a Sovereign National Conference.

This is contrary to the calls by some groups and individuals that an SNC will give ethnic nationalities the opportunity to choose how to relate or associate with one another.

Jonathan, who spoke at the Dialogue with the President at the 16th Nigerian Economic Summit in Abuja on Tuesday, said the nation had gone beyond the call for the SNC and should be concerned about how to build a prosperous country.

The President also blamed kidnapping on government’s failure to address the problem when it was evolving.
He also stated that corruption was prevalent in the private sector as it had been in the public sector, adding that what should be done to check the menace was to strengthen law enforcement agencies.

According to the President, the constitution has already prescribed how the fundamental law can be changed; adding that any attempt to change the law by any other method would be an illegality.
The President said, “We have the 1999 Constitution which clearly prescribes how the constitution can be changed. We have the National Assembly that makes laws for the nation.

“Sometimes we get carried away by some jargons. It is not the number of conferences that we hold that can solve our problems. The countries that we cite as examples in development, it is not conference that solved their problems.

“We have gone beyond asking how ethnic groups can live together. We will not allow history to hold us down. It was in 1914 that the Southern and Northern Protectorates were amalgamated. In four years now, we shall be celebrating 100 years of our existence as a nation. So we have gone beyond the agitation for Sovereign National Conference.

17 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by emyibe(m): 10:13am On Sep 15, 2013
Exactly what the country desires now. Wish it can start today.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by magaliyu(f): 10:14am On Sep 15, 2013
Medicine after death...
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by sainty2k3(m): 10:16am On Sep 15, 2013
GEJ is in a Vicious cycle of confusion and selfishness, let's wait and see how it'll end

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Realdeals(m): 10:18am On Sep 15, 2013
who is afraid of SNC?

5 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 15, 2013
Yes, Nigeria must divide if Jonathan is not reelected

8 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by biafrakwenu(m): 10:23am On Sep 15, 2013
I can't wait to have my black Biafran passport in my hand that is visa free to all countries of the world. Who would I dash my Nigerian passport that is only visa free to west african countries excluding Biafran Republic, indicate by not liking my post.

35 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Megozuks: 10:28am On Sep 15, 2013
The ethnic nationalities have to come together and agree on the future of this nation.

Even Scotland will be having a referendum next year in order to decide if they will be independent of the UK.

"The life of a nation is a daily dialogue". Can't remember who said that.

Our politicians and National Assembly men will never spearhead the SNC. They have so much at stake.

3 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 15, 2013
biafra kwenu: I can't wait to have my black Biafran passport in my hand that is visa free to all countries of the world. Who would I dash my Nigerian passport that is only visa free to west african countries excluding Biafran Republic, indicate by not liking my post.

You sure know how to day-dream

LMAO

4 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Wislet(f): 10:31am On Sep 15, 2013
THESE PEOPLE THAT KEEP LARGE SPACES WITH SPACED OUT CONTRIBUTIONS THAT hAVE NO RELEVANCE TO THE TOpIC ALL IN THE NAME OF CRACKING 'jOKES' (that aren't in any way funny) SHOULD BE BANNED BY THE mODERATORS. Enough of that childishness.

3 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 15, 2013
Yes, it's coming... it's coming.

Jonathan, bring it on, bring it on.

Ifa bless You.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 15, 2013
SNC or no SNC, we support GEJ 2015-2019

Igbo President 2019 - 2027

Igbos - World Power 2027 - 3027

Am going to church to pray for this now.

22 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 15, 2013
All I want is Confederalism. If we want to avoid the inevitable

1 Like

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by SUBMARINE: 11:04am On Sep 15, 2013
Desperation on the part of Northern elites to rule Nigeria might cause GEJ to insist on a Sovereign National Conference.

3 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 15, 2013
I wish to see, Yoruba seceed, Igbo seceed and see what will remain of those stupid northerners. Goats in human form, who will vote for them if not them stupid selves.

10 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by ichidodo: 11:06am On Sep 15, 2013
Jonathan is searching for leverage to hold the North in the jugular but if you ask me,its about time we negotiate our existence as a country,Nigeria is not a must.

12 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by SailorXY: 11:12am On Sep 15, 2013
A glorious day for all
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 11:15am On Sep 15, 2013
If that is the way forward, no wahala.

I love this man cause he hates trouble..

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 15, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Yes, Nigeria must divide if Jonathan is not reelected

Adopted.. Lets see who gains from this hate game by selfish yorubas and core hausas...

Niger delta will transform into Dubai while Biafra turns into Japan 5 years after the divorce...

Nah that time i go employ my inventive skills..

13 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by israel007: 11:23am On Sep 15, 2013
No northerner. They hv a deadly ambition
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by eightsin(m): 11:25am On Sep 15, 2013
Whatever will be, will be. . .

But i'd still luv for us to remain one. . .because u fight with your brother doesn't mean u will change ur surname.
Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by tgbaba(m): 11:29am On Sep 15, 2013
Wislet: THESE PEOPLE THAT KEEP LARGE SPACES WITH SPACED OUT CONTRIBUTIONS THAT hAVE NO RELEVANCE TO THE TOpIC ALL IN THE NAME OF CRACKING 'jOKES' (that aren't in any way funny) SHOULD BE BANNED BY THE mODERATORS. Enough of that childishness.

So so annoying. Seun should make this 22nd law

1 Like

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 15, 2013
Promhize: I wish to see, Yoruba seceed, Igbo seceed and see what will remain of those stupid northerners. Goats in human form, who will vote for them if not them stupid selves.

I have stopped insulting the northerners. I was going through a report by vanguard which appeared on facebook. Most of the commentators were literate young northerners. I was shocked to discover that 8 out of 10 comments coming from these guys showed a strong support for the Jonathan second term.

The northerners opposing Jonathan are few wicked elites and politicians who are power hungry and perhaps the illiterate minds they can buy with their money...

11 Likes

Re: 2015: Jonathan May Convene Sovereign National Conference by swedbase(m): 11:33am On Sep 15, 2013
SUBMARINE: Desperation on the part of Northern elites to rule Nigeria might cause GEJ to insist on a Sovereign National Conference.

Which may eventually brake up the country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rival APC Factions Clash In Abeokuta / Armored Tanks, Jets For Anambra Governorship Elections - IGP / We Cannot Continue To Be Slaves In Yorubaland - Olu Falae Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.