Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,920 members, 7,828,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

Much Ado About Prayer: We Are All Atheists (3) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Much Ado About Prayer: We Are All Atheists (3) (580 Views)

FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) / A Method Of Prayer: We Nigerians Should Start Practising / Is there Any Prayer We Are Not Permited To Pray But Jesus Only? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Much Ado About Prayer: We Are All Atheists (3) by plaetton: 3:05pm On Sep 15, 2013
When one critically examines the entire body of religious beliefs about a perfect god creating a perfect universe, the earth, all life forms including humans, prayer is one practice that seem to stand at odds with the basic underpinnings of the christian faith.

In christian belief, it is believed that god gave man freewill to do as he pleased.
It is also believed that god's will perfect, just and immutable.

Is Prayer not a protest against god's will?

If you went to church and listened the desperate prayers of today's christians, you would easily realise that prayer is a cry, a protest, an expression of doubt not only in the power of god to deliver, but on the existence of god itself.

I see people crying, shouting, stamping their feet, and shouting "god where are you, why have you forsaken me", "I know you are there somewhere", "Show me your presence", and on and on and on.

Most christians perform this ritual of doubt up to 6 or more times daily.
The muslims do it 5 times daily.

Doing all that for a supposedly self-existent god is a bit fishy to me.

I have asked severally what is the meaning of "special Prayer" and how does it differ from ordinary prayer?
How about delegated prayers as in when a priest or pastor prays for someone?
What exactly is the meaning of that? Does that mean that an individual's faith battery is seldom strong enough to achieve the desired parity with god?

Imagine the number of faithful who prayed fervently today for one kind of emotional, spiritual or material boon or another.
For me, it simply suggests that the faithful are not satisfied with their lot, with god's plan for them last week, and therefore demand a better deal this coming week.

The unfortunate and most puzzling thing about people who pray is that prayer is somehow not subject to any form of audit. We pray many times a day, day after day, year after year. all around us , all we hear is pray pray pray. Even our leaders of government are in on the act.

Yet no one ever takes a moment to take stock of previous prayers for evaluation and analysis.
A simply audit of prayer in any one week, one month or quarter would actually show the efficacy of prayer, if at all.

But then , subjecting prayer to an audit would be a sign of diminishing faith which the faithful would be loathe to admit.

Look closely and listen to the person praying beside you. What you see and hear are fear and doubts.

Prayer=doubt
Faith = doubt

We are all atheists. grin

1 Like

Re: Much Ado About Prayer: We Are All Atheists (3) by ninja4life(m): 10:18pm On Sep 15, 2013
Nice write-up but i donot agree with d conclusion
Re: Much Ado About Prayer: We Are All Atheists (3) by tobechi20(m): 6:43am On Sep 16, 2013
Catholic church dont support, orotest,yelling, and crying in prayer.

We pray gently and quietly and end by sayin "let your will be done"

your post is strictly for protesrant
Re: Much Ado About Prayer: We Are All Atheists (3) by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 16, 2013
"Prayer that craves a particular commodity, — anything less than all good, — is vicious. Prayer is the contemplation of the facts of life from the highest point of view. It is the soliloquy of a beholding and jubilant soul. It is the spirit of God pronouncing his works good. But prayer as a means to effect a private end is meanness and theft. It supposes dualism and not unity in nature and consciousness. As soon as the man is at one with God, he will not beg. He will then see prayer in all action. The prayer of the farmer kneeling in his field to weed it, the prayer of the rower kneeling with the stroke of his oar, are true prayers heard throughout nature..." -------- Ralph Waldo Emerson (Self-Reliance).

(1) (Reply)

7 Days Fasting and Prayer For ASUU-the Violent Must Take It By Force / Monday Morning Meditation: A Corpse In My Wardrobe! / Why Your Present Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.