Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,975 members, 7,817,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? (3664 Views)

Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? / Between Our Partner And Our Parent-in-law,who Are We To Respect More? / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by genius33: 7:24pm On Jun 20, 2008
Just a question I have. Could you marry someone who had a schizophrenic parent? Would finding out before marriage put you off that person? I really need some answers. Thanx
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by mohawkchic(f): 8:17pm On Jun 20, 2008
~There are undoubtfully some factors to consider!!

~If you know you cannot fully be supportive to your partner through it,no point pretending to,b/c it will get tough,and your partner will need all the support he can get!!
~Schizophrenia hasnt been proven to be heriditary,unless in the cases of twins as far as am aware!!  undecided
~Will you be expected to live/ look after the parent at some point?
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by genius33: 8:27pm On Jun 20, 2008
Not to that extent no, it is something that can be treated with medication but it's incurable and comes and goes every few years. I was more concerned about the negative stigma it might have in the eyes of some people, would it be a turn off in a relationship?
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by mohawkchic(f): 8:45pm On Jun 20, 2008
~The Important point here is the Love you have for your partner Not the Negative Stigma of People that has nothing to do with your happiness!!
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by ayinba1(f): 6:45pm On Jun 21, 2008
I beg to differ on the issue of hereditary traits of schizophrenia. Please talk to a psychiatrist so that you can know what to expect. Good luck
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by mohawkchic(f): 7:22pm On Jun 21, 2008
ayinba1:

I beg to differ on the issue of hereditary traits of schizophrenia. Please talk to a psychiatrist so that you can know what to expect. Good luck

mohawkchic:

~There are undoubtfully some factors to consider!!

~If you know you cannot fully be supportive to your partner through it,no point pretending to,b/c it will get tough,and your partner will need all the support he can get!!
~Schizophrenia hasnt been proven to be heriditary,unless in the cases of twins as far as am aware!! undecided~Will you be expected to live/ look after the parent at some point?

~Enlighten me? has it been Proven to be heriditary?
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by genius33: 7:30pm On Jun 21, 2008
I think it has, it's more a case of genetic factors combined with environmental factors that determine wether you suffer from it. For example, If two people both have one schizophrenic parent and Person A had a happy upbringing and a moderately happy life and Person B had a troubled childhood e.g abuse and an unstable life then person B is more likely to suffer from it. It is quite rare though because something usually triggers it like drug abuse or depression etc. smiley
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by mohawkchic(f): 11:19pm On Jun 21, 2008
~Am aware of some of the Causes/Symptoms. .but am still undecided if Schizophrenia is heriditary!!

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/askthesiteqandas/mentalandemotionalhealthqandas/hereditaryhealth

"Although there is a lot of research into schizophrenia it is hard to tell if it is hereditary and the causes still remain generally unknown. It is believed to be caused by a combination of both genetic and social factors individual to the person's circumstances. For example, someone's genetic make up could put them at a higher risk, but stressful life events could trigger onset of the symptoms."

"Schizophrenia can run in families, suggesting a genetic link. Research shows that one in 100 people develop schizophrenia across the UK population but and this risk increases by 10% if a parent had schizophrenia. However, it seems that there could be many different genes involved and scientists have not yet developed a clear picture of how the condition can be passed on."
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by Nobody: 1:40am On Jun 22, 2008
I really can't say anything on the topic but I happened to watch a documentary in a psychology class. The case study was done on a woman who had schizophrenia. It was later revealed her mother and grandmother were schizophrenic as well. So I guess heredity has something to do with it. undecided
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by genius33: 3:56pm On Jun 22, 2008
Really I'm aware of the risks, but my question is if you were in a relationship with someone, is it something that would put you off them?
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by Nwaka77: 5:13pm On Jun 22, 2008
genius33:

Really I'm aware of the risks, but my question is if you were in a relationship with someone, is it something that would put you off them?

Yes, it will. A relationship is hard enough much less with someone who is schizophrenic.
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by genius33: 5:56pm On Jun 22, 2008
Nwaka77:

Yes, it will. A relationship is hard enough much less with someone who is schizophrenic.
Not your partner being schizophrenic, the partner's parent , would it be a big issue to you or could you over look it, bearing in mind majority of the time the ilness is kept under control?
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by Tetchiness(f): 7:19pm On Jun 22, 2008
Re: Mother-in-law Who Is Schizophrenic? by mohawkchic(f): 3:29am On Jun 23, 2008
genius33:

~Thats a soul searching question only the Individual can answer!!~

~I can speculate all i want but at the end of the day,am not really faced with that Suitation. . .so am undecided

(1) (Reply)

Lost Between My Wife And Best Friend. / Getting Pregnant After 35 / Congrats To Tgirl4real, She Just Had A Bouncing Baby Girl!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.