Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,863 members, 7,824,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know (20071 Views)

Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? / Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College / The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by iamdjizzy: 2:30pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice post ...NB, ASUU go call off strike b4 we graduate sha
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Donkarizma: 2:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice write-up op.
We the fresh graduates need this type of article, to enable us face the labour market without fear.

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by donez(m): 2:34pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice one Mr OP, bt 4 naija if u dy connectd to d oga at d top u no get wahala
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice one.Right 4rm secondary skul,av always said 2 myself dat i neva want to be d 1 searching 4 job,but i want to be d one creating wealth.Not yet a graduate dou.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by mixdtribe(f): 2:55pm On Sep 17, 2013
You could consider teaching 4 a start, if u r a fresh grad in your area of study, dis wud keep ur brain fresh & enable u ve time 4 professional courses.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Aewesomz: 3:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
Dis is a very nice food for thought ...
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by creativino: 3:01pm On Sep 17, 2013
Copied!
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
Ten over ten.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Sike(m): 3:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
Spot On!
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by free37: 3:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
nice.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
jesuslovesme123:
1. Getting a degree is a great achievement, but it is only the starting point. Professional qualifications, skills-enhancement training and certifications have made the labour market more competitive. The wise graduates will immediately find ways to enhance their profiles.

2. There will always be far more job seekers than jobs, and not every graduate will receive an employment offer within their first year of graduation. The wise graduates will explore (goodly) alternatives right from the start.This leads to point 3 -

3. Many graduates are in a position to create wealth for themselves, but most will not, either because they are adamant about getting a ‘suit-and-tie’ job, or because they are waiting for a huge investment to come in. The wise graduates will start what they can with the little they have.

4. University education was not primarily designed for job-finding purposes, so it baffles me when graduates think that the ONLY way forward after graduation, is to receive an employment offer. Your university degree is designed to enhance your profile, to increase your knowledge, skills and world-view – to make you more useful to yourself and to the world.

5. Graduates need a teflon-coat. The job market and the business world are both very tough, but through resilience and continued effort, success is almost guaranteed.

6. It’s not necessarily the brightest and the best that make it to the top. There are a number of factors / skills that are not taught in the university or by most career centres, but which influence career success. These include: likeability, emotional intelligence, tact, aggressiveness (but not over-aggressiveness) and continuing professional development.

7. Not every job vacancy actually exists. Some are posted by recruitment agents to build their candidate database. In our beloved country, some others are posted by scammers to exploit graduates.

8. Not every job application you make will be seen by the company (because there will be many other applications). The earlier you apply, the more likely you are to have your application seen.

9. Your physical appearance (not in terms of beauty but in terms of neatness, carriage, composure and speech) will many times influence your career more than other factors. The wise graduates will ensure that they look their best and act professionally at all times.

10. It would be unwise to look down on any job opportunities. The ‘low’ jobs are only a ladder towards a better job / career.

Great post and my few comments. Your post may further confuse these guys. I will make the following additions.

Theory is Theory and its "useless".
The theories you learnt in school are only applicable 0.05% of the time and then its mixed in a mis-mash of issues called codes, laws, politics and ethics. The guy who wins is the guy that see the big picture and uses it as a compass to answer the bottom line.

Get off the academic horse
The only good thing you may have learnt in school is problem solving but thats just half the story. The guy that solves the problem best carry the day. If you learn to solve real problems you will make real money.

Companies are not philantropies
The only language the company knows and can genuine associate with is profit/returns/cost. Anybody that delivers superior value in this field is a golden goose, you are unlikely to be killed. Can you convert your shit to golden eggs you will get a Job

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
best seller post...masterpiece
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by cogsej06(m): 3:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
wish dis tthread came up earliar b4 mmy interview 'cos I just got a regret mail dat I least expected. Nt bad though...I hv learnt.....God is in control. Thanks Op n ofcourse Jesus loves me too,.....

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by nairaarea: 3:25pm On Sep 17, 2013
NICE ONE
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Gee2728(m): 3:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
Ur words are strong and very true. Am a graduate of building construction @ A.B.U zaria. After my service year in 2009 have practice for myself since then. The only time I applied for a job was at the firm I served during my service year and the rejected me.

Honestly most of us could do more for urself than the government would.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by drdams: 3:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
Wao!! @ wot age? Its too early to say this....
braine: Every graduate should really read this.. My life would have been much better if I had cry known earlier.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Temmason(m): 3:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nyc 1 op God bless
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Krisddon: 3:40pm On Sep 17, 2013
Quite insightful. @ op, i express without any scintilla of equivocation, my unreserved gratitude to you for this very educative post.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Dchiefpriest(m): 3:51pm On Sep 17, 2013
sexymoma: 11. Spend less than you earn....
ya that is true,but i tink dat shud come after getin d job
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by omomame: 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice piece.... No 7 is the most rampant one now.....
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Blackteeth(m): 4:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
Why is the OP revealing secrets na? If everyone knows the secret and joins the ship, it will get overloaded and eventually sink and you who revealed the secret may die.
Everybody must not succeed. Your success is due to the fact that some other person has failed.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by beau49: 4:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nyc piece u got der @op....m jes bin lazy abt statin sumtin of my own aldough finance is still a major ish#still servin doh.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by joxhibit(m): 4:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
This is a very nice up and i think handy for every graduate. Having myself been in a similar position once. As at the time of my graduation from school, i had this idea that a nice job was out there just waiting for me to possess it! I was indeed shocked with the reality on ground when i got to the job market, it was as if everybody wanted nothing to job with a graduate without any experience, and for six months i was just roaming the streets of Lagos searching for that juicy job that every graduate dreams of which would pay me lots of money. I think i got the hang of it when nothing turned up and that was when i took a critical look at myself and decided to re-stratigize. I discovered that the only experience i had was the teaching job i carried out during my NYSC, this i used to my advantage-at least i had one year experience. The next step i took was to get a job in an extra mural centre for 6k a month, after about 2months and with the added experience i had gotten i moved into a school which paid me 12k a month. With hard work and focus i managed after a year to get another school which paid me 50k for a start. Here i spent 3 and half years learning about the profession and also getting myself equipped with computer skills and a post graduate diploma in education. Hereafter, i started getting offers to teach in top schools in Lagos, cos' i had networked with a lot of guys in these schools including the top people there in addition to earning about 85k at this time. But as luck would have it and with the skills i have acquired in education, IT and administration, i landed a job with an NGO paying over 350k a month. Now all this happened within a span of 5years. I guess 5 years is not too long a time to wait for that big opportunity. But the lesson here is starting small and aiming big. I believe am still getting somewhere, where? i can't tell, but one thing i know is that there is something big there. My advice for fresh graduates out there is for them to humble themselves and take up whatever they can find no matter how small the pay might be and then use that opportunity to build their network and gather more experience for more bigger things to come. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Chigorkizz(m): 5:10pm On Sep 17, 2013
I luv this!
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by sholay2011(m): 5:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice thread @OP.

Jesus loves me too. smiley
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Ugokings4luv(m): 5:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
Lol
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by sunny3kng(m): 5:25pm On Sep 17, 2013
And who says you must get a "job" ?
I Graduated from school and started my own company. After graduation is a nice time to start up your own biz you know.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by kentochi(m): 5:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
This post is just for me cos i get my HND 4 days ago thanks i have to work on my self right now.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by WinkWrld: 5:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
Prayer works also. Keep it real and God will see you through. Good luck buddies
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Gisthaphy(f): 5:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
Frankly speaking it's true. I need to do sth fast.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Exponental(m): 5:36pm On Sep 17, 2013
Unfortunately, many graduates are " skill-illiterates" in their fields.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Virtual Health And Safety Environment Service, Port Harcourt / Workers To Access 25% Pension Savings For Mortgage …to Forfeit Lump Sum Payment / Should I Quit School And Take This Job Offer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.