Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation (1537 Views)

Governors Demand For Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation / Northern Governors Demand Removal Of Rivers Police Commissioner / Southwest & Edo Governors Demand More Power For States Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 3:23am On Sep 18, 2013
Nigerian governors have demanded the immediate resignation of Nigeria’s Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, accusing her of failing to implement the country’s appropriations law.

The governors’ decision was contained in a communiqué they issued after a meeting of the Nigerian Governors Forum. The meeting took place at the Rivers State Governor’s Lodge in Asokoro, Abuja. Governor Mr. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi of Rivers State presided over the meeting which was attended by 16 governors.

Mr. Amaechi also read the communiqué at the end of the three-hour meeting. In it, the governors drew attention to the non-compliance with the revenue projection of the Federal Government of Nigeria 2013 budget, blaming Ms. Okonjo-Iweala for her poor management of the economy. The forum stated that the non-compliance was a direct breach of the appropriations act of 2013.

The governors expressed serious concern over the management of the economy by Ms. Okonjo-Iweala, and called for strict adherence to the Appropriations Act of 2013. They stated that the minister should resign if she failed to implement the act. The Governors Forum stated that the National Economic Council is constitutionally responsible for the management of the economy and should be used for that purpose as opposed to the economic management team constituted by the Presidency.

In addition, the governors once again called on the National Assembly to legislate the separation of the office of the Accountant General of the Federation from that of the ministry of finance for better accountability and management of the economy.

The governors also reviewed the polio situation in the country, noting that some progress had been made in 2013 compared to 2012. It called on all governors to remain focused on anti-polio programs in their respective states to ensure the eradication of the disease.

The governors also offered their condolence to Patience Jonathan, the wife of President Goodluck Jonathan, over the loss of her mother. They also send condolence messages to Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State who had lost his father, and the family of former Governor Olusegun Agagu of Ondo State who died last week.
http://saharareporters.com/news-page/governors-demand-okonjo-iweala%E2%80%99s-resignation
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by manny4life(m): 3:47am On Sep 18, 2013
Absolute RUBBISH.

Under this woman's authority

A. Nigeria has successfully diversified her economy, through several initiated programs, we're seeing gains from agriculture to construction, from increased transportation to middle class rising. Granted that we still depend on oil, our non-oil revenues has increased. Our ports are now remitting more monies than they used, she has synchronized the reporting and accountability system. Heck, Nigeria is on a better footing that it was before.

B. On the Budget, she increased capital expense by more than 8%, and decreased our recurrent by more than 11%. In our history, Capital expense has never crossed 30% mark, let alone represent 1/3rd of the budget (I may be wrong, open to dispute). grin grin . Madam NOI has has taken appropriate measures to further decrease our dependence on oil revenues.

C. Most of our ministers are performing because she's following appropriate due diligence in release of funds. She has applied sincere rule of law, no longer will it be said that ministers pocket money for projects. From ministry of aviation and transportation to energy, people are working as funds are released in blocks/project. There is proper accountability, and they're accusing her of failing to meet the country's revenue projection and 2013 appropriation law? What a load of rubbish. angry angry angry

I can go on and on, but seriously, Gov Amaechi and company shouldn't bite the fingers that are supporting him. This woman is a pillar of hope for Nigeria, they have said all but not really said anything. Let them tell us how she hasn't met the revenue projection, after all, it's called "PROJECTION" not "ACTUAL"... Nansense.

18 Likes

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 3:50am On Sep 18, 2013
^^
Those are indeed clueless Governors
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 18, 2013
So Naija has finally turned into Nollywood. I blame democracy for this and GEJ for being too soft. Now in Naija, anybody can wake up and talk rubbish. Where were all these polithiefians when Abacha was in power. Imagine, the youths are at home due to ASUU strike and nobody is talking about it yet these iidiots have time to deliberate on balderdash. The worst Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is better than the best Governor in Naija. Governors forum my a*ss undecided

5 Likes

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Ikengawo: 5:11am On Sep 18, 2013
Yoruba governor's forum are behaving according to their design. When the noise is ignored, you'll realize they're toothless and irrelevant like the tribe.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 5:46am On Sep 18, 2013
I really blame GEJ to trying to be eternal Gentleman in a country of neanderthal politicians. I mean Amaechi needs to be deleted, and I will drink a beer to it. I am beginning to personal hate Amaechi.

Is NGF a parallel Federal Government ?

Is NGF an opposition to Federal Government ?

Is NGF supposed not to be peer-review-mechanism ?

NGF is now gathering to discuss national issues instead of state issues ?

Someone has to be made a scape-goat to instill order in the system, its a total mess now.

5 Likes

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 6:05am On Sep 18, 2013
I myself and I therefore demand the resignation of those clueless yeye governors for demanding the resignation of the minister and mismanagement of their state funds!!
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Danhumprey: 7:02am On Sep 18, 2013
Is it when she resigned that things would be better Let's try to keep sentiment,bias,male chauvinism aside when commenting on issues of national importance! This woman has tried,though she has some faults in some of her action.
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 18, 2013
Amaechi-16 govs, Jang-16 govs
Now where do the remaining 4 govs stand as both sides have always been meeting with 16 govs
Btw NOI remains one of the few voices of sanity in govt, she has progressively reduced recurrent expenditure,started SWF which is really the primary grouse of the govs as they want money to steal, the NGF is a toothless bulldog now since it's split into two
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by UyiIredia(m): 7:27am On Sep 18, 2013
Other than the subsidy removal mishaps and some popular misstatements from her I kniw little to condemn Mrs Okonjo. I know however that she really does have the country's best interests at heart. I hear that much when she speaks.
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Omexonomy: 7:29am On Sep 18, 2013
South westerners and their jelousy.
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 7:31am On Sep 18, 2013
Did anyone notice the absence of the word "faction" in this whole report despite the fact it was a meeting of the Amaechi led NGF? If this report were to be about PDP, you would have seen "faction" all over the place. I've also noticed this same pattern in certain section of the media. I'm not in support of factionalization but if the media has decided to celebrate the factionalization of the PDP for whatever reasons why not also celebrate that of NGF? Why the double standard? Why the bias? Shame on the bandits who call themselves journalists.

3 Likes

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 18, 2013
Nigerians are begining to understanding why GEJ cabal doesnt want Amaechi as the NGF chairman. We also now see who Aminu Tambuwal was not supposed to be allowed as Speaker.
Late CSA to Goodluck; Azazi said that these people have formed and are sponssoring bokoharam, he said they are some Governors, speaker, members of the National assembly and some so called elder statesmen.

I want to tell Nigerians that plan was arranged between the North and south-west.
We can all remember that that those Rebel GOVERNORS, NATIONAL ASSEMBLY MEMBERS, SO CALLED ELDER STATESMEN from the North and Southwest starting attacking GEJ the moment he started dealing with the Boko harams. The attack came from a Yoruba man even before the North spoke.

Today we have known that those Boko Harams are some Governors, senators, house of rape members, elder statesmen from North and southwest.

They should know that without oil from The Niger Delta there wouldnt have been a Nigeria. The slogan ( ONE NIGERIA IS ONLY FOR OIL) NO OIL, NO NIGERIA.

Nigerians will see political wonders soon as men are on ground everywhere to protect the interest of the southern Nigeria and her allies.

If u want to join the force infavour of GEJ, SEND YOUR NAME, PLACE OF RESSIDENCE TO ( 07034551515 )
dont expect a reply immediately but u will later be called.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 18, 2013
Ok! But I hope my governor isn't among those clamouring for that sh*t.

That guy have done nothing for 2yrs and still counting.

I wonder what he's been doing with all the funds he's been getting.

And I wonder why nobody's questioning him.
sad
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by homesteady(m): 7:47am On Sep 18, 2013
They should sack her and replace her with one of tinibu's daughters ? undecided
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by softwareman(m): 7:49am On Sep 18, 2013
manny4life: Absolute RUBBISH.

A. Nigeria has successfully diversified her economy, through several initiated programs, we're seeing gains from agriculture to construction, from increased transportation to middle class rising. Granted that we still depend on oil, our non-oil revenues has increased. Our ports are now remitting more monies than they used, she has synchronized the reporting and accountability system. Heck, Nigeria is on a better footing that it was before.

B. On the Budget, she increased capital expense by more than 8%, and decreased our recurrent by more than 11%. In our history, Capital expense has never crossed 30% mark, let alone represent 1/3rd of the budget (I may be wrong, open to dispute). grin grin . Madam NOI has has taken appropriate measures to further decrease our dependence on oil revenues.

C. Most of our ministers are performing because she's following appropriate due diligence in release of funds. She has applied sincere rule of law, no longer will it be said that ministers pocket money for projects. From ministry of aviation and transportation to energy, people are working as funds are released in blocks/project. There is proper accountability, and they're accusing her of failing to meet the country's revenue projection and 2013 appropriation law? What a load of rubbish. angry angry angry

I can go on and on, but seriously, Gov Amaechi and company shouldn't bite the fingers that are supporting him. This woman is a pillar of hope for Nigeria, they have said all but not really said anything. Let them tell us how she hasn't met the revenue projection, after all, it's called "PROJECTION" not "ACTUAL"... Nansense.
Like mrs nweala you are showing a tendency to indulge in technocratic sophistry instead of speaking the truth.
Stop quoting fake figures from Saharan making and co , the recurrent expenditure has not gone down by 8 % under Jonathan and under her watch. From a figure of 1.6 trillion between 2003 to 2007, it shot up to 2.3 billon in 2009 and 3.3 billion by 2012. That is approximately 100ercent increase under the Jonathan administration alone.

While the recurrent has burgeoned , capital expenditure has dwindled and budget performance has not increased in any significant way. What has increased under her watch is appropriation irresponsibility and impunity.
All the fiscal lapses of the past are still there despite all the noise about due process.

I ask you a simple question: what are her policy successes either during her first outing as obasanjo presidency or her latest incarnation as Jonathan's e economic policy guru.?
The payment of over 12 billion dollars to the country's external creditors in one fell swoop to exit the Paris club remains an achievement of doubtful value. The promise d gains have not materialized more than six years down the line. infrastriure remains parlous while the country is fast amassing new debts. The country's foreign reserve has been squandered .

Under her watch, what we have continuously experienced is the abnornality of growth without any meaningful impact on the lives of the average Nigerian.

This is the truth and not the the boring discredited technocratic sophistry she and all you jonathanians keep repeating like a broken record.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by softwareman(m): 7:58am On Sep 18, 2013
Omexonomy: South westerners and their jelousy.
I suppose every south westerner must support Jonathan. Is that the logic?

Must everybody support the president and his party in a democracy. Why don't we just come here and discuss issues instead of seeing every single thing from the prism of ethnicity and religion.

Sometimes the way people think baffles me.

1 Like

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by softwareman(m): 8:02am On Sep 18, 2013
Ikengawo: Yoruba governor's forum are behaving according to their design. When the noise is ignored, you'll realize they're toothless and irrelevant like the tribe.

Lamido, amaechi, okorocha, oshiomole have all suddenly become YORUBAS?! Jonathanian wonders shall never cease on nairaland!

1 Like

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by ichidodo: 8:09am On Sep 18, 2013
^^^ We know the yorubas are the brains behind this witchhunt of jonathaian proportions,your attempt at damage control is admirable though
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by softwareman(m): 8:11am On Sep 18, 2013
manny4life: Absolute RUBBISH.

Yes, I conceed that she helped popularise the otherwise important concept of due process bit this has been nigerianised . Public officers now carefully follow due process in criminally looting the public treasury.

The assertion that the nigerian economy is being diversified is so blatantly false I will not dissipate energy on such obvious lie!
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 18, 2013
I support the governors on this!!!!!!

How can we have SWF when we have infrastructural deficit?

nations with SWF are nations with above average infrastructures to leave for the next generation. You can't leave money for the next generation, you are suppose to leave INFRASTRUCTURES NOT MONEY!!!!!

Okonjo Iweala has done enough and she must go NOW!!

1 Like

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by softwareman(m): 8:19am On Sep 18, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Did anyone notice the absence of the word "faction" in this whole report despite the fact it was a meeting of the Amaechi led NGF? If this report were to be about PDP, you would have seen "faction" all over the place. I've also noticed this same pattern in certain section of the media. I'm not in support of factionalization but if the media has decided to celebrate the factionalization of the PDP for whatever reasons why not also celebrate that of NGF? Why the double standard? Why the bias? Shame on the bandits who call themselves journalists.
Ride on brother! Jonathan's failure of leadership, management, governance, vision is every other person's faults not his ! Blame it on the media, on the people in his party, the opposition, his wife etc. But not a single one is Jonathan's fault. I get it.
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by luvinhubby(m): 8:19am On Sep 18, 2013
This Amaechi and his co-travelers are beginning to irritate our collective public sensibility. If they have personal issue with Mrs Iweala, they should simply say and not question her competence for Ngozi Iweala`s competence has always been impeccable.
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by ayusco85(m): 8:20am On Sep 18, 2013
Who cares? undecided just call off ASUU strike.
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by owolabifunke14(f): 8:22am On Sep 18, 2013
This is a gang up against women in Nigeria.Men don't see anything good in the achievements of ladies in government this country just like Australia.This male irrelevant "collagen" at work,bleeping bullies. Nobody should dare call them yoruba governors forum because Dr Mimiko can never be a party to such organization that doesn't want the growth of women in politics. Women are tired of deputy governors deputy dash post,its time we take our position as number one in this country.A woman brought peace to Liberia and Argentina

1 Like

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by softwareman(m): 8:23am On Sep 18, 2013
Danhumprey: Is it when she resigned that things would be better Let's try to keep sentiment,bias,male chauvinism aside when commenting on issues of national importance! This woman has tried,though she has some faults in some of her action.
Please do not get it twisted. The governors are only saying she should respect the appropriation law and if she feels she cannot she should resign because we live in a constitutional democracy where no one is above the law.
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 18, 2013
owolabifunke14: This is a gang up against women in Nigeria.Men don't see anything good in the achievements of ladies in government this country just like Australia.This male irrelevant "collagen" at work,bleeping bullies. Nobody should dare call them yoruba governors forum because Dr Mimiko can never be a party to such organization that doesn't want the growth of women in politics. Women are tired of deputy governors deputy dash post,its time we take our position as number one in this country.A woman brought peace to Liberia and Argentina

Do you even understand what the topic is about? How about shut up and move over to the romance section?

I don't know why most of you airheads love forcing opinions on topics you can't decipher. undecided

1 Like

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 18, 2013
software man:
Like mrs nweala you are showing a tendency to indulge in technocratic sophistry instead of speaking the truth.
Stop quoting fake figures from Saharan making and co , the recurrent expenditure has not gone down by 8 % under Jonathan and under her watch. From a figure of 1.6 trillion between 2003 to 2007, it shot up to 2.3 billon in 2009 and 3.3 billion by 2012. That is approximately 100ercent increase under the Jonathan administration alone.

While the recurrent has burgeoned , capital expenditure has dwindled and budget performance has not increased in any significant way. What has increased under her watch is appropriation irresponsibility and impunity.
All the fiscal lapses of the past are still there despite all the noise about due process.

I ask you a simple question: what are her policy successes either during her first outing as obasanjo presidency or her latest incarnation as Jonathan's e economic policy guru.?
The payment of over 12 billion dollars to the country's external creditors in one fell swoop to exit the Paris club remains an achievement of doubtful value. The promise d gains have not materialized more than six years down the line. infrastriure remains parlous while the country is fast amassing new debts. The country's foreign reserve has been squandered .

Under her watch, what we have continuously experienced is the abnornality of growth without any meaningful impact on the lives of the average Nigerian.

This is the truth and not the the boring discredited technocratic sophistry she and all you jonathanians keep repeating like a broken record.

100000000000000likes.

Anyone who understands the Nigerian economy should know that the woman has been a failure. Even if Nigerians overlook this tenure, the money she paid back to the Paris Club is one of the biggest ponzi schemes ever committed against any country. And right now, the economy is in the doldrums - the only thing out there is just a bubble that would burst soon and show how messed up the country is.

1 Like

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by luvinhubby(m): 8:37am On Sep 18, 2013
0lumide: I support the governors on this!!!!!!

nations with SWF are nations with above average infrastructures to leave for the next generation. You can't leave money for the next generation, you are suppose to leave INFRASTRUCTURES NOT MONEY!!!!!

You are terror to upcoming generations when you do not have any form of investment and savings for tomorrow. A good man leaves an inheritance for his children`s children. The worst `looters` of our public funds are this same governors saying this thrash. SWF is simply an investment fund where are our extra budgetary earnings are put aside, including excess crude income, to act as a buffer to our single-commodity economy incase of another economic melt down to avoid a scenario of Greece currently.
That NOI did not allow their pilfering fingers access to extra money from excess crude account makes this governors making this statement public enemy number one, after all, it was this same NGF under Amaechi that aggressively pushed for subsidy removal.
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by awodman: 8:42am On Sep 18, 2013
0lumide: I support the governors on this!!!!!!

SWF is not about saving us some money in a remote account but to use this money for investment on things that will bring returns to the country including INFRASTRUCTURE...

Read some of these links to get enlightened
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/swf-to-create-template-for-pension-investment-in-infrastructure/155212/

www.ventures-africa.com/2013/09/nigerias-sovereign-wealth-fund-invests-200m-us-bonds/
Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by owolabifunke14(f): 8:50am On Sep 18, 2013
shymexx:

Do you even understand what the topic is about? How about shut up and move over to the romance section?

I don't know why most of you airheads love forcing opinions on topics you can't decipher. undecided
Tell me what you understood.Romance bend your nyash there. Chauvinist

1 Like

Re: Governors Demand Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 18, 2013
^^^^Now tell me what someone who was appointed to do a particular job but has been a failure got to do with your disjointed rants about women empowerment?

You're better off going on a diet or getting on weight watchers with your flabby self than spamming everywhere with irrelevant junk. Btw, I can't stand ignorant people - that's my pet peeve! undecided

(1) (2)

Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others / Peter Obi Is Persecuting Anglicans And Pentecostals Churches --hon Odedo / This Is What Jonathan's Impeachment Will Look Like...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.