Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,847 members, 7,956,174 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:54 AM

Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates (8917 Views)

Commercial Bus Catches Fire On Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos (photos) / Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge This Afternoon (photos) / Government Truck Falls Off Near Third Mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by chiola: 10:47pm On Jun 06, 2006
I have been reading this thread but no one is suggesting how to verify if the bridge is safe. Those that are comparing US bridges need to understand the maintenance culture of US. It is very windy in some states, thus, it is not unusual for a bridge to be closed to traffic. If the vibration you guys are describing is that life threatening, then the authority in charge of the bridge should be notified. Questions to consider:
a) Is this vibration occurring every day?
b) Is it noticeable to drivers while driving?
c) Is it pronounced at certain times of the day?
d) How windy is Lagos?, etc,

It is not unusual to see cracks or rust. I am confident that any reliable government or authority would have schedule maintenance for her bridges.

I commend your concern, however, the auhority should be alerted; and the authority should clear the air regarding this?
Just for a minute Imagine an unusual earth movement , Then you guys have a problem, if the bridge has not been properly maintained, smiley
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 07, 2006
Exactly a month ago, on my way to work, i had a stop over at Aponbo bridge, around cms, the moment i stepped out it was a vibrating all through i was so scarced and told a couple to people around me, seems to me they were used to it, but i want, the moment i saw a bike, i jumped on it after waitng for so long for a bus, because of the FEARthat the bridge might soon that very minute. since then i AVOID that route like hell. its very true that BRIDGE VIBRATES, espeically when tankers or heavy duty vehicles passes by.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Farmer: 2:44pm On Jun 08, 2006
Why is it that anytime an issue is being raised,it is taken for granted by the relevant body and govt? All hands ought to be involved so as to avoid 'the unknown' cos precious lives are always at risk.
Vibration or no vibration a body should be set up as fast as possible to look into such issue.
Maintainance culture is one of our great problems. Why do we spend so much money to execute projects but ignore to service them?
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by mochafella(m): 11:02pm On Jun 08, 2006
@Ajibson

shocked shocked shocked. Dimango, wetin be the picture wey you come put for your post. Nah 3rd Mainland we dey gist not hottest boy on Nairaland. Anyway I see u are a newcomer. Welcome, but that picture is in the wrong place.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by tianshie(m): 7:48pm On Jun 10, 2006
The first time I was on that bridge and it weaved I momentarily forgot everything my physics teacher taught me. The bridge was built by the swanky IBB government to amongst other things create a record as the longest bridge in west africa. Let's hope it doesn't create a different record soon.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by tianshie(m): 7:51pm On Jun 10, 2006
The first time I was on that  bridge and it weaved I momentarily forgot everything my physics teacher taught me. The bridge was built by the swanky IBB government to amongst other things create a record as the longest bridge in west africa. Let's hope it doesn't create a different record soon.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by ThoniaSlim(f): 2:05pm On Jun 13, 2006
well i dont know cause, undecided cause i have never gotten down from the car when passing the bridge.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by LadyGough(f): 6:30am On Jul 18, 2006
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I happened accross it by accident. I was under the impression that there were already repairs underway on the Third mainland Bridge there in Lagos? Was I miss informed? Please let me know
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Seun(m): 7:13pm On Jul 22, 2006
Don't worry about it. The federal government will "swing into action" immediately after it collapses. cheesy
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Mariory(m): 2:34pm On Jul 24, 2006
;d
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by ToddTerry: 12:06am On Aug 01, 2006
don't worry the bridge has magic spells that will keep it from collapsing.  also, if a witch steals the spells and it collapses, the water is not too deep and you can swim or walk to shore - just remember to keep a spare spark plu handy so you can bust the window open if your car starts to sink in the muck.  also, watch out for the snakes in the water as i have been told that there are some very big snakes under the third mainland feeding off all the trash.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Christino(m): 1:03pm On Oct 11, 2006
I just got an offline from a friend that the Third Mainland Bridge has finally collapsed shocked after vibrating heavily throughout last night, how true is this
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by naijacutee(f): 1:11pm On Oct 11, 2006
OOOh Someone predicted it on Nairaland months ago o, Hope it isn't true
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Christino(m): 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2006
I heard another info, IT HAS SHIFTED - not collapsed, please let's avoid that route for now.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Christino(m): 1:39pm On Oct 11, 2006
My boss just circulated a mail:

Hi All,

There have been reports about the collapse of a part of the third mainland bridge.

We have however called the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) who have dismissed these and confirmed that there was an accident on the bridge.

Please visit http://www.lastmalagos.com/ or call LASTMA hotlines 01 774 3026 or 01 470 3325 for traffic updates.

Regards,
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by shaiguy(m): 2:02pm On Oct 11, 2006
Ol boy na wa o. shocked
I just heard that now from a fellow staff but shrugged it off as a rumour. Been listening to eko fm on the internet for a while now and nothing on it yet
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by gentleone(f): 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2006
Thank God its not true! I just heard on metro fm news now that it was an accident that happened on the bridge, the bridge did not collapse.
I think that the goverment however should look into this issue as soon as possible, a panel was set up by the federal goverment actually(heard it on NTA news like 2weeks back) to look into the supposedly shifting and vibration of the bridge and they said it was being caused by dredging but really, they should start take action now or are they going to wait until the bridge collapses before something is done?
I pray that never happens because it would be too disastrous, God help us.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by uche1(m): 4:39pm On Oct 11, 2006
lie lie, i just passed there now the bridge is still dey kampe like our baba OBJ
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by idea(m): 4:45pm On Oct 11, 2006
na wa o !!! i was shocked when i heard the (false) news in my office, thank God it didnt.na my route be that o, God help us all. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Beeshop: 4:58pm On Oct 11, 2006
The conflicting ideas here might bring the bridge to its knees i fear.But let's dont worry until we wake one morning to find that we have lost the bridge to time and corruption.No connotations intended.Good luck Nigeria!! grin
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by TayoD(m): 5:03pm On Oct 11, 2006
Hey guys & girls,av gone tru al your replies,that of an engineer and those of other occupation.Wel my question for the engineers is that Did those who built the 3rd mainland take into consideration that cars of such immense weigh wil stand stil on it at the same time?Note the brigde was built on a principle cald upthrust which means nt al d bars are torchn d ground.For d vibration no big deal al brigdes are built to vibrate but when the upthrust is exceeded please imagine(am not trying to scare here)

I suppose you are talking about uplift and not upthrust!  Upthrust (as I believe you mean) can not happen in Naija because we do not have a freezing ground condition caused by very low temperature (i.e. ice/snow).  

I can assure you that the structural integrity of that bridge cannot be compromised the way you fear it will.  All loading conditions must have been taken into consideration during the design.   Besides, a huge factor of safety must have been used as in all construction.  I suppose a compounding of the factors on the loads and the structural capacity of the materials used will surely make the bridge more than structurally sound for many years to come.

My fear however is not on the superstructure but on the foundation.  If indeed the foundation is being eroded away, then we might have a problem indeed.  However, failure of a foundation will cause a load redistribution to other foundations till a structural member is either overloaded or the entire foundation fails.  

If that happens, we will not witness the entire brifge falling down.  Only the overstressed section will collapse.  Engineers are smart enough to design the structure in sections independent of each other.  That way if a section fails, it will not bring the others down.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by endykay(m): 5:16pm On Oct 11, 2006
Na wa o i don fear cos na the only road linking me to my base except takin the ferry

and i no wan make fish use me do dinner,thank God sha say na false alam wetin we for

the talk now [color=#000099][/color]
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by princezino(m): 5:47pm On Oct 11, 2006
TayoD, I appreciate your scholarly input but therein lies the probs with most of us engineers,  we simply fall in love with our ideas, our water-tight, quadruple checked, well iterated concepts and as a result we give the folks at Discovery channel more footages for their engineering disasters series! As a design engineer, you simply cannot factor in all the parameters that will influence your design throughout its life span! That is why we always add caveats that absolve us of culpability IF standard ops and maintenance procedures are not followed.
Back in the 80's the smart folks at J B probably never imagined the volume & spread of dredging activity the Lagos lagoon will experience 2 decades later (dredging w/o environmental impact assessments of course!). Also they never probably guessed at how dismal civil works maintenance will become in those coming years. embarassed. What am i getting at?
1. If only a 1 meter  split or subsidence occurs separating a section of that Bridge, I can assure you it WILL probably take 1 whole year or more to get it fixed. (the essential sense in sectional design of structures gets neutralized by politics!, [and meanwhile a highrise that partially collapsed in the centre of our Financial district(broad street) has remained in that dangerous & inglorious state for months!])
2. The root cause of that failure, will sooner or later affect similar sections, since the WHOLE bridge has been subjected to the same abuse!
3. A 4th mainland bridge that has since been advised as the panacea to taking most of the strain off the present bridge has remained on the drawing board for years (whilst state and fed politicos run about like decapitated chickens!).
In all, lets leave engineering out of the Nigerian context totally! In the domain of Nigerian Public works,  uncertainty simply tends to infinity and beyond!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by TayoD(m): 6:09pm On Oct 11, 2006
@princezino,

Thanks for your input which is quite productive.

In one of my transportation classes back in the days, I remember the introduction to a textbook which I read. The author began by saying that engineers have come to design roadways in such a way as to eliminate accidents totally. He however said one major factor still remains which can make all other factors of non effect - MAN. In other words, man is unpredictable and no matter what you do to prevent accidents, the factor called MAN will find away to beat you at your scholarship.

While we expect the Government to ensure a regular maintenace to prevent compromising the structural integrity of the bridge, I find it difficult to believe that the present dredging of the river poses an immediate threat to its structural stability. The bridge by all indication is supported on piles which could go up to 100m or more in depth depending on the nature of the bedrock. The only way this could fail now is if it is exposed enough for it to be either hit my a vessel or perhaps buckle over its unsupported length. In the latter case, I doubt if the dredging has been that bad to make this situation a possible reality.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by babadee(m): 6:20pm On Oct 11, 2006
Reading this has been quite enlightening, never new we had so many "efikos" in the house with all this talk of resonance and uplift but i can assure you all that as long as a car or bus tumbles into the water every now and then to appease dem "iya oshorongas" the third mainland go dey "kampe" like my fav politician says
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by TayoD(m): 7:02pm On Oct 11, 2006
@babadee,

Plan to be on iya oshoronga's next menu? wink
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by yemmydavid(m): 9:55pm On Oct 11, 2006
i heard the gist about the 3rd mainland bridge today too.called a friend and she told me cos i work on d island. but i later found out it was a rumour.

now the bar beach is anoda source of concern cos it broke its boundry dis morning despite all the work they are doin to cub d strong tides.
THE TIDE DIS MORNING WAS SO STRONG,THE ROAD WAS FLOODED
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Radiant(f): 10:02pm On Oct 11, 2006
What a low life inspired rumour. Hisssss!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by TayoD(m): 10:04pm On Oct 11, 2006
yemmydavid,

Hope the bar beach gist is no rumour too.
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by Jaychuks(m): 10:05pm On Oct 11, 2006
I thank God that this calamity did not befall us, God is truely a Nigerian! The news spread like a wild fire today. It really put a lot of us into panic, until 100.5 Ray Power FM came up with the update, which was the authentic. We all have to thank God for saving Nigeria from that kind of hardship. Chukwu daalu!
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by yemmydavid(m): 10:29pm On Oct 11, 2006
the bar beach gist is not i rumour. i saw it myself cos i work around that place. etim inyang to be precise and that is where i take to work every day
Re: Third Mainland Bridge May Collapse Soon? It Vibrates by TayoD(m): 10:34pm On Oct 11, 2006
@yemmidavid,

You must be kidding. Etim Inyang Crescent is way off the Bar Beach. Cool fm is on Etime Inyang Crescent and I just can't imagine the beach overflowing to that point without an attendant loss of lives. You are kidding right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Let's Boycott The UK Visa For One Month / (videos) Peace Mass Transit Fatal Accident (very Graphic Videos) / Airport Safety: FG Happy With Measures Taken By Enugu Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.