Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,396 members, 7,819,412 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

Nigerian Mps Brawl In Parliament Over Splinter Group Visit (sowetan) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerian Mps Brawl In Parliament Over Splinter Group Visit (sowetan) (786 Views)

INCREDIBLE: Italian Lawmakers Hold Same-sex Kiss In Parliament To Protest Anti-g / Italian Lawmakers Hold Same-sex Kiss In Parliament To Protest Anti-gay Rights. / Female Politician Slaps Male Politician In Parliament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Mps Brawl In Parliament Over Splinter Group Visit (sowetan) by jba203: 3:04pm On Sep 18, 2013
The private African Independent Television and Channels TV showed footage of a female member of parliament angrily poking her finger in the face of a colleague while a male legislator was seen grabbing a chair in an attempt to hit a fellow lawmaker.
inShare.0
Picture taken from www.stickitcy.comLawmakers in Nigeria's Lower House exchanged blows on Tuesday over the presence in parliament of a splinter group of the ruling party, according to local television.

The private African Independent Television and Channels TV showed footage of a female member of parliament angrily poking her finger in the face of a colleague while a male legislator was seen grabbing a chair in an attempt to hit a fellow lawmaker.

Other lawmakers engaged in fisticuffs.

The row was apparently sparked by the visit of Kawu Baraje, the chairman of a dissident faction of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and several state governors loyal to him.

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, told MPs that Baraje had requested permission to address supporters during parliament's opening session.

But the group's presence so infuriated parliamentarians belonging to the main PDP that a noisy brawl ensued between the two sides, leaving Baraje to read out his address over the shouts of the arguing lawmakers.

The PDP controls 23 of the 36 states in Nigeria.

The party, which has controlled Nigeria's presidency since a return to civilian rule in 1999, has found itself in unfamiliar territory recently, rocked by infighting and facing a stronger opposition.

General elections are scheduled for 2015 and whether the party can iron out its differences and fend off the opposition will have huge implications for Africa's most populous nation and largest oil producer.

The rift had been in the making for months, with factions within the party opposed to President Goodluck Jonathan's re-election and several members believed to be plotting their own run.
Re: Nigerian Mps Brawl In Parliament Over Splinter Group Visit (sowetan) by jba203: 3:05pm On Sep 18, 2013
Lemtongthai
Where were Johnny de Lange and Manie Schoeman? They could have taught them Nigerians how to throw a good punch or two.
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013ThirdEye
it not worth reporting
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013Mokwepa
@Guptanistan1
@mokwepa anc officials they have this trait too, often they use offensive language against opposition, had opposition not been disciplined and mentally stable, there'd have already been fights in parly, so we are not too far from it and not mention their arrogant and sexist jibes against women of the opposition the anc are proper cavemen.
====================
its the 1stime i agree with u...hope is not the last.
keep guud comments coming fighter....
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013INDESPENSIBLE
Anger management is a serious problem, I once heard of elders of a certain church who exchanged fists, while service was in progress, the congregation turned into spectators, I mean, Is it really hard to control one's temper?.
Report Abuse
Re: Nigerian Mps Brawl In Parliament Over Splinter Group Visit (sowetan) by jba203: 3:07pm On Sep 18, 2013
Nigerian MPs brawl in Parliament over splinter group visit
18 Sep 2013 | Sapa-AFP | 38 comments
CommentsSign in or sign up to commentWed Sep 18 16:05:37 SAST 2013 ::
18 Sep 2013Mokwepa
I think we need to mobile EFF in nigeria...if people will fight in parliament..then we need to intertvene
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013Guptanistan1
I will believe it when I see a video of alleged brawl, lol so there's a challenge for you Sowetan.
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013IndigenousNconservative
They must come here and take their drug dealers, we are tired of them. Our useless government let them do as they wish even though they are illegal in this country.
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013swona
Nigerians!
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013kabelo110
Nigerians with their big bones!
@mokwepa anc officials they have this trait too, often they use offensive language against opposition, had opposition not been disciplined and mentally stable, there'd have already been fights in parly, so we are not too far from it and not mention their arrogant and sexist jibes against women of the opposition the anc are proper cavemen.
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013Lemtongthai
Where were Johnny de Lange and Manie Schoeman? They could have taught them Nigerians how to throw a good punch or two.
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013ThirdEye
it not worth reporting
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013Mokwepa
@Guptanistan1
====================
its the 1stime i agree with u...hope is not the last.
keep guud comments coming fighter....
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013INDESPENSIBLE
Anger management is a serious problem, I once heard of elders of a certain church who exchanged fists, while service was in progress, the congregation turned into spectators, I mean, Is it really hard to control one's temper?.
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013VENDALIOUS
I hate nigerians
@Vendalious you are being destructive right now, how can you hate entire nation? where do you get all this destructive energy from? cause that much hate can't do your health no good, please man be constructive for once in your life.
@Gupta-Who else do i hate??............i don't pretend to like people unlike the other race which are good in pretending. They pretend like they like you especialy the older ones do that more! Hypocrisy that is....... They don't want to ignore you but yet do not want to open up their mouths and talk to you. Pure stupidy!!! On the other hand, others would call your name to say hello from a distance if you didn't see them. I have lots of experience with this people
Vendalious you have relationship and trust issues, so please don't lay your baggage on me, I said what had to be said about you and your generalising hate of Nigerians, now you are such a loser blaming others for your own shortcomings,
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013RobinX
At least they don't send hitmen after dark to take out their opponents, as is the method preferred here in SA.

Guptanistan> Vendalious basically hates any and every thing he either doesn't grasp or that disagrees with his particularly sick racist views. He suffers from chronic and acute otherism, shame. Must be really tough being such a jerk.
Robinx- Why the hate old n!gga,you just need some kitten old man. I can see that its been a while since you had some zigy zigy all that fustration guddamnt
Report Abuse 18 Sep 20139janavy
@Guptanistan1 : This has been going on a lot lately ,here is a video of another incident that landed one of the politicians in a coma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM9P9nxNMA8

This is how far their greed and nepotism has gotten them.

@RobinX - Actually they do send hitmen to kill their rivals,it is not very common but they do it.The President of Ni.geria is the number 1 culprit ,he is the worst leader Ni.geria has ever had.It is because of his thirst for power and his desire to get a second term that these m*nkeys are exchanging blows in the senate.These guys are just an!mals but Ni.gerians willing voted for them so we deserve the leaders we get.This is why i h@te democracy in Africa ,it just gives stup!d people the power to elect scoundrels,crooks and fraudsters to govern over them.
@VENDALIOUS - I know you were not raised well by your parents otherwise other you will treat RobinX with respect.African cultures dictate that we respect our elders ,you are no African but rather a turd with a loose mouth.Guys like you only become brave when you are online but in the real world you are sissies who can't even look another man in the eye talk less of uttering a word.
Vendalious. Get your head out of your crotch, you juvenile idiot. I hate idiocy, and my God do you fit the frame. Try actual sane discussion, or go back to wanking in your bathroom. I have an active sex-life, so I don't need to obsess about my penis, as you so clearly need to. Grow up!
Janavy: Thanks for the intervention. It is appreciated. However, I am able to swot flies on my own. Thanks again though.
@IndigenousNconservative - Let me get this straight you want the Ni.gerian Government to do your Government's job for you? Why can't you clean your streets yourself? Ni.gerians exist in almost every country in the world yet they are not allowed to do what they do in SA elsewhere,does that not strike you as strange? Do you think the drug dealers will exist if the powers that be were not getting a slice of the pie.How do the drugs get into SA and how come all drugs zones are just a few meters away from police stations? Wake up and realize what is going,Ni.gerians are the least of your problems.Good leadership will solve the issue of foreign crime syndicate in SA once and for all.
RobinX - No worries smiley
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013IndigenousNconservative
@ 9janavy

Tell me what must I do as an individual
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013skwamasamabele
9janavy- Brilliant analogy, to educate Indigenous/Venda cretins. I dont advocate racism in my country, especially when its uncalled for. What has n!gerian drug dealers have to do with the topic

They dont represent a majority of South Africans, please be rest assured
Report Abuse 18 Sep 2013ONEE
9janavy
@IndigenousNconservative - Let me get this straight you want the Ni.gerian Government to do your Government's job for you? Why can't you clean your streets yourself? Ni.gerians exist in almost every country in the world yet they are not allowed to do what they do in SA elsewhere,does that not strike you as strange? Do you think the drug dealers will exist if the powers that be were not getting a slice of the pie.How do the drugs get into SA and how come all drugs zones are just a few meters away from police stations? Wake up and realize what is going,Ni.gerians are the least of your problems.Good leadership will solve the issue of foreign crime syndicate in SA once and for all.

well said, i ahve said it over and over again and people think m biased
we are our worst enemies as South africans , sadly those in power voice indirectly our concerns regarding the issues.
it was disgusting to watch South Africans in PE stealing Pakistanians groceries from their shops , wondering what have we come to , if you have facts and dont need somebody make sure u escourt them out of ur yard with all their belongings
ONEE-

Eish Sisi, you are so right. I have always believed us South Africans use racism to enclose ourselves, because 1. We were on the receiving end for centuries and 2. We feel threatened by other nationalities' progress and their methodology of money making and lastly, we are jealous and envious of other people doing well instead of picking their brains for our benefit.

We can learn a few things from the most populous nation in Africa (N1geria), instead of tarnishing all of them with our sh!tty brushes
@ Skwama
all I can say *cry my beloved country* bhuti wam kubi and uma ngithi ngiyabheka isixazululo sikude leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, ngiyesaba ngibona ifuture Zimbabwe sad
it is always sad and can trigger anger when one says to you have you done introspection before accusing other people of always sabotaging you?
we become defensive and asume we are undermined.

what is happening in SA is majorly our fault, we can not stand the ground and say NO to violence and drug trafficing and always quick to judge and point fingers forgetting that 3 fingers are pointing back to us....mmmhmmmm
ONEE: BRAVO!!!!! Well said.
ONEE-

For starters, we ought to be learning from educated Zimbabweans (who received the best education on the continent) how we can rectify ills of our country. You are right about whats happening in our country is our own fault. We are so badly racially divided in our own country, we are tribalistic, homophobic, bigoted, intolerant, hateful and paedophilic. Oh, we also hate women, judging by the rates of rapes and domestic violence.

I remember once MZABALAZO wrote that WE NEED TO CLEAN OUR OWN HOUSE FIRST!!! She was spot-on, as always
Skwama: Seldom a truer word spoken!
Robin-

My children just came from a holiday in SA, the violence they witnessed against a woman on the streets of Jo'burg, traumatised them. Especially because no-one intervened, even when she was stripped naked in public. My daughter (4) said "I know dad would have helped the woman", and she is right.

It destroyed my heart
Skwama: I weep for our once fair country, but I love it and will die here.... as will my children.
skwamasamabele
ONEE-

For starters, we ought to be learning from educated Zimbabweans (who received the best education on the continent) how we can rectify ills of our country. You are right about whats happening in our country is our own fault. We are so badly racially divided in our own country, we are tribalistic, homophobic, bigoted, intolerant, hateful and paedophilic. Oh, we also hate women, judging by the rates of rapes and domestic violence.

I remember once MZABALAZO wrote that WE NEED TO CLEAN OUR OWN HOUSE FIRST!!! She was spot-on, as always

can i say amen to the entire comment above.

we have what i call SELF HATRED.
We complain about White people a lot to a point of even forgetting our own errors.
everytime we try so hard to find scape goats.
its so sad how much of anger and discrimination we have against each other in particular the african black race.

its time to move foward yet we are still dragging the past with all our efforts, its good not to forget the past but excellent to work on the present while eying the future.

ARISE AFRICA ARISE LOOK AT THE BRIGHTER SIDE
skwamasamabele
Robin-

My children just came from a holiday in SA, the violence they witnessed against a woman on the streets of Jo'burg, traumatised them. Especially because no-one intervened, even when she was stripped naked in public. My daughter (4) said "I know dad would have helped the woman", and she is right.

It destroyed my heart

Today a person can be robbed in the presence of multitudes without help
in particular Small street is a cayos I wonder when will this end.
Sir Robin- I love, adore and respect my country, not the inhabitants. Thats why I moved lock stock and barrel from Soweto, uMlazi and Muizenberg to Colesberg. Peace and quiet, when I retire down there in 5 years time.

I served and help free my country, but I dont owe the greedy and hateful inhabitants anything. If they won't reform, its their prerogative. I'll continue to work with our next generation
RobinX
Skwama: I weep for our once fair country, but I love it and will die here.... as will my children

talk of the love of the country,
I love this country yet pity it
hey 9Janavy thanks fro the vid though it turned my stomach the violence these ppl are capable of inflicting is quite shocking, mind you I was having a laugh with Sowetan when I said I needed a vid, anyway whilst watching this vid check this I also found on the same site,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVuw_D75hw4
ONEE-

Very soon our country is going to descend into anarchy, and it will be misdirected. What I fear most is if the ANC lose the next elections, they will wreck the country, defile the Constitution, make the country perulous, activate a coup and turn SA into a pariah state. Their support of dictators is the frightening prospect, as well as their descent into African coherent corrupt culture of greed, and neglecting the needs of our people.

And, THAT, is a catastrophic mixture. I'd be smoking my pipe and wearing my slippers and not lift a finger
Report Abuse
Re: Nigerian Mps Brawl In Parliament Over Splinter Group Visit (sowetan) by iterator25: 12:50pm On Sep 19, 2013
A peep into the south African psyche... smh...

(1) (Reply)

Abraham Lincoln Vs John F Kennedy / ISIS Atrocities Started With Saudi Support For Salafi Hate / BREAKING : World War III Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.