Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,187 members, 7,815,143 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! (1209 Views)

Wealthy Brits Slam London ‘invasion’ Of Arab Playboys / We May Need Iridium To Survive The Intense Heat Of 2012 / Whose Cops Are More Racist, America’s Or The Brits'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by ujoinme: 11:27pm On Sep 18, 2013
Diplomats and officials from the United Kingdom might soon need to fill in a visa application to enter South Africa, according to Home Affairs Minister Naledi Pandor. This comes after her recent hints that it could be time to ‘consider reciprocity’ for Britons as far as visas were concerned.

Pandor told Parliament in May that government was considering visas for all visitors from the United Kingdom, but she announced in a written reply to a question in Parliament on Wednesday that for the time being, this would be limited to officials and diplomats, should the plan go ahead.

“The Republic of South Africa intends to introduce visa requirements for diplomatic and official passport holders of the United Kingdom,” Pandor said in response to a question from DA MP Manny de Freitas, who asked what her department had done “in respect of the decision of the United Kingdom on the requirement of visas for South African citizens entering the UK”.

The British High Commission in South Africa said that the matter was still under discussion: “We are in constant discussions with the South Africans on these issues and it remains a priority for us and South Africa to protect our borders.”

http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/south-africa-considering-tit-for-tat-visas-for-british-diplomats.htm

2 Likes

Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by manny4life(m): 11:31pm On Sep 18, 2013
It's ONLY a matter of time, the tables will turn...America and Europe will need visa to enter a united Africa..

5 Likes

Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by Ikengawo: 12:19am On Sep 19, 2013
wait, you mean they currently don't? wow.

1 Like

Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by zaandrew: 12:24am On Sep 19, 2013
Ikengawo: wait, you mean they currently don't? wow.

we never used to need a visa to go to the UK they changed their law so now we want to change ours
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by Atouke: 12:24am On Sep 19, 2013
This will not happen UK owns SA.
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by zaandrew: 12:25am On Sep 19, 2013
Atouke: This will not happen UK owns SA.

we seprated from them in the 1960s

1 Like

Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by Atouke: 12:34am On Sep 19, 2013
zaandrew:

we seprated from them in the 1960s

UK has a stranglehold on the economy of SA even after the separation, Thats why i doubt the resolve of SA officials to see this through
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by Andyblaze: 12:46am On Sep 19, 2013
This cannot work out. I am a ph.d holder and my words are final
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by biafranqueen: 12:51am On Sep 19, 2013
manny4life: It's ONLY a matter of time, the tables will turn...America and Europe will need visa to enter a united Africa..
I need a Visa to go to Nigeria from America so UK citizens just enter like that
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by iterator25: 5:53am On Sep 19, 2013
Andyblaze: This cannot work out. I am a ph.d holder and my words are final
I have Ph.D, MSC, USB, DVD, VCR.. what are you saying?
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by zaandrew: 6:07am On Sep 19, 2013
Atouke:

UK has a stranglehold on the economy of SA even after the separation, Thats why i doubt the resolve of SA officials to see this through

Pray do tell how they have a strange hold on oiur economy?
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by Tats(m): 10:04am On Sep 19, 2013
The SA response to this seems to be a wise one. According to the report, "The Republic of South Africa intends to introduce visa requirements for diplomatic and official passport holders of the United Kingdom". It means that ordinary passport holders from the UK can still visit SA and since many of them go there for holidays, introducing visas for them may dissuade these group of people from visiting with the implication that SA loses tourism funds. Restricting visas to diplomats and officials means they get to bear the brunt of the UK's decision and not the ordinary UK citizen.
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by enigmang: 10:43am On Sep 19, 2013
biafranqueen: I need a Visa to go to Nigeria from America so UK citizens just enter like that

Nope UK citizens also require visa to Nigeria. the article was referring to South Africa
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by MiguelMi6(m): 11:35am On Sep 19, 2013
South Africa still discussing in parliament.Bet you,Nigeria takes action immediately,one would expect when UK introduced theirs,South Africa implement compulsory visa application.
Nigeria remains the Giant of Africa.It voiced out reciprocal attempt at the UK visa bond even when it was unofficially announced.Maybe,South Africa has a lot at stakes.
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by Atouke: 12:06pm On Sep 19, 2013
MiguelMi6: South Africa still discussing in parliament.Bet you,Nigeria takes action immediately,one would expect when UK introduced theirs,South Africa implement compulsory visa application.
Nigeria remains the Giant of Africa.It voiced out reciprocal attempt at the UK visa bond even when it was unofficially announced.Maybe,South Africa has a lot at stakes.

??
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by Tats(m): 12:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
MiguelMi6: South Africa still discussing in parliament.Bet you,Nigeria takes action immediately,one would expect when UK introduced theirs,South Africa implement compulsory visa application.

Its not that easy to do reciprocal action immediately. Nigeria loses nothing much by reciprocal action as contributions to the economy from tourism is next to nil. A UK business man intent on visiting Nigeria will pay a bond if necessary. On the other hand, reciprocal action may not be good for the economy of SA which has tourism as one of its contributors to GDP. Visa requirements do no good to tourism. Why would you bother going to a country where you need to apply for visa, when you can just buy a ticket and off you go to another country where you don't need visa? Most UK citizens only need to buy a ticket and off they go to many countries!
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by MiguelMi6(m): 1:06pm On Sep 19, 2013
I agree with you guys.the more reason why I belive they have more to lose from taking actions.
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by Andyblaze: 1:51pm On Sep 19, 2013
iterator25:
I have Ph.D, MSC, USB, DVD, VCR.. what are you saying?
what of HIV
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by zaandrew: 2:08pm On Sep 19, 2013
MiguelMi6: I agree with you guys.the more reason why I belive they have more to lose from taking actions.

The planed acstion would only effect goverment employes. Thus british tourist will still get free rain but the diplomat will need a visa.
Re: Brits May Need Visas To Enter South Africa! by panafrican(m): 11:24pm On Sep 21, 2013
Go Zuma ! Go Bro , get them.

(1) (Reply)

Italian Journalist Defies Hamas:misfired Rocket Killed Children In Shati’ / Trump, Clinton Traded Words At Final Presidential Debate In Las Vegas / Abu Sin: The Saudi Teen Arrested for Chatting Online with an American Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.