Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,777 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

I Want To Know God and experience him - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Want To Know God and experience him (1489 Views)

Christians: How Does It Feel To Know GOD Exists? / How Can I Know God's Will And Be Led By The Spirit Of God? / I Want To Marry, How Do I Know God's Will? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Know God and experience him by mazaje(m): 9:43pm On Sep 20, 2013
Some believers keep saying that God reveals himself to them. Some claim they speak to him daily and are always in contact with him. I was once a believer and used to make that claim without TRULY knowing what it actually means. . .I mostly assume the emotional feelings I get when singing worship songs in church is the manifestation of god's presence, but that is just a religious experience that all religious adherents feel(Muslims, Hindus, Taoist, Shirks etc) all get this experiences and it has been scientifically shown to be true by careful studies of the brain during "religious experience". . .

I want believers here to provide me and other atheist with specific objective evidence that shows that their god exist and how we can know him, feel him or experience him. . .Please I want believers to provide a factual description of their god’s characteristics and abilities so that we can be sure that we(atheists) will know it when we see it, feel it, hear its voice or come in contact with it. Believers should try to be as specific as possible to avoid ambiguity. We need to be able to differentiate your god from other god's or other phenomena. So, for example, claiming that your god is love or the universe all around is evidence for your god is not helpful in the least, because many have claimed that the universe all around us is evidence for their own god as well and that their god, gods or goddesses created the universe as . . . Claiming that your god is supernatural or beyond the natural, observable universe is also not helpful. If your god is beyond the observable universe then how could you possibly have observed it to conclude that it is real? So again, please provide a factual description of your god’s specific characteristics and abilities that are objective that is self evident.

So please I want believers provide me with something objective that distinguishes their belief from imagination. . . Imagination is forming a mental image of something not present to the senses. Something imaginary exists only in imagination, it lacks factual reality. Subjective notions such as internal personal experiences or feelings are indistinguishable from imagination. If you can't turn to people next to you regardless of their religious beliefs and ask, “Did you see/hear/smell/feel, experience that?” and expect them to say, “Yes we did and experienced it the same way you did” then whatever it is you experienced was likely imaginary. You need to provide something objective that we could all perceive to detect your god and verify that it is real. We need to distinguish objective reality from a subjective reality in which people believe things are as they want or imagine them to be rather than as they are. I am waiting. . .
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by RationalDude(m): 10:30pm On Sep 20, 2013
*following*
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by tobechi74: 10:39pm On Sep 20, 2013
Do you belive in God, pray with faith he will reveals himself
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by SWG1: 11:13pm On Sep 20, 2013
The just shall leave by faith. Without faith no one can please God. Ul ve to have a relationship wit Him b4 he reveals himself to you. Its a gradual process which ul v to take by having faith that he exists and has paid the prize for your sins thru His son Jesus. Then ul start experiencing evidence of his presence e.g automatic freedom from addiction and joy inexplicable with attendant urge to be in his presence and listening to d word of God.
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by SWG1: 11:26pm On Sep 20, 2013
God is a spirit being and we are spirit being living in a body. So i dont expect you to have goose pimples and chills while worshiping or praying to acknowledge his presence. We dont decern spiritual things with our five senses. God is not moved by emotion but faith which only comes by hearing and hearing of the word of GOD

1 Like

Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Rhymeyjohn: 11:50pm On Sep 20, 2013
your desire to know God, if done sincerely is the first step to a real personal experience of Him. But you spoilt it when a were obviously asking for 'scientific' evidences of Gods reality, this obviously shows you are putting on the atheistic/philosohical view for your search. If you would be sincere to your self, pretend that you are not an atheist . If you stick with science, you have to follow the rules for scientific enquiry, for God, its faith (not blind fath). The end of this faith enquiry is the evidential proof you'd have, just has you do for science. The process is very simplistic (no wonder many atheist disdain the process even before starting). This could help, note, its a process
1. have a firm assurace that there is God
2. begin a relationship with Him by speaking to Him, (not necessarily following any religious codes). say something lovely, anything; just like you want to establish a friendship.
i could continue, if you ask for more.
One a personal note, i see God daily, atleast i can deny the ingeniueity that set this large cosmos in order. Concretely, i have had experiencies that prove God.i am a christian, so my experiences draw from that background. An example;years back,my little sister of about 2yrs had measles and was taking medication, but that day, events just twisted and she couldnt open her eyes, i then thought she was kidding, but after many calls and prompting, this babe couldnt just open her eyes again. Christian bethren were summoned and serious prayers were offered, after about 2hrs, she opened her eyes without any medical aid. the point is, God say in His word "I am the Lord that Healeth thee" when it happens before your very eyes, just as He said it, what proof do i need again?

i can share amny evidences with you, but space and time
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by mazaje(m): 12:02am On Sep 21, 2013
Rhymeyjohn:
One a personal note, i see God daily, atleast i can deny the ingeniueity that set this large cosmos in order.

You see god daily?. . .How does good look like, please give me a detailed description of this god figure. . .

Concretely, i have had experiencies that prove God.i am a christian, so my experiences draw from that background. An example;years back,my little sister of about 2yrs had measles and was taking medication, but that day, events just twisted and she couldnt open her eyes, i then thought she was kidding, but after many calls and prompting, this babe couldnt just open her eyes again. Christian bethren were summoned and serious prayers were offered, after about 2hrs, she opened her eyes without any medical aid. {b] the point is, God say in His word "I am the Lord that Healeth thee" [/b] when it happens before your very eyes, just as He said it, what proof do i need again?

I have a friend who is a bible believing christian and also an amputee can your god heal him and restore his amputated limb(left arm)?. . .A friend's daughter was born with down syndrome can your god heal her as well?. . .Where can the christian brethren that healed your sister be found so that the little girl born with down syndrome can be sent to them to heal her as well?. . .
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Rhymeyjohn: 12:35am On Sep 21, 2013
thats the problem with you follks, why are you aimlessly trolling the thread. thought atheist are objective and very intelligent. If you forgot, your thread's title say i want to know God and experience Him ok? so if your friend who is a believing christian {b] has not known God nor experienced Him [/b] why bug me with his amputee gist? or why not ask him about his God experience? i showed you my experience, not everybody's. mazaje, dont rubbish other intelligent atheists by creating weaklings strawmen IT OBVIOUS, YOU CAN SHOW AN ATHEIST AN EVIDENCE, BUT YOU CANNOT MAKE HIM TO THINK
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Rhymeyjohn: 12:38am On Sep 21, 2013
mazaje:

You see god daily?. . .How does good look like, please give me a detailed description of this god figure. . .

I have a friend who is a bible believing christian and also an amputee can your god heal him and restore his amputated limb(left arm)?. . .A friend's daughter was born with down syndrome can your god heal her as well?. . .Where can the christian brethren that healed your sister be found so that the little girl born with down syndrome can be sent to them to heal her as well?. . .
in never said they healed her ok?
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Lordlexyy: 1:13am On Sep 21, 2013
I grew up to be very afraid of sleeping alone. But this faithful day after a late night movie in the living room, my younger brother that we share the room together decided that he will sleep in the living room. I had no choice than to sleep alone that night. Amidst fear after several attempt, i slept off. Not too long, i woke up, lo and behold, i saw this huge figure on my wall, bigger than any human i have ever seen staring at me with a stretch arm, instead of being afraid, the level of peace that envelop me was beyond words. Immediately, that fear disappeared and that day marked the end of fear for me. Deep down in my heart, i was sure it was an angel but i wasn't sure until this day in church when my attention was drawn to a scripture in Psalm 34 v 7 by my pastor and i affirmed that indeed it was an angel. I had a terrible itching once on my scrutum that defiled all medication. This day, wednesday to be precise, we came out for a touch a call made by my pastor. Reluctantly i went out, after a very short prayer, instantly the itching stopped, so much that it felt like a majic. The story of how a man who appeared to a friend mine a Ghanian on two occasion within two weeks who identified Himself as Christ are numerous instances of events of divine encounter with the supernatural. Such instances abound, but don't wait to see one b4 you believe. God don't live for you, rather you live for Him.
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Lordlexyy: 9:09am On Sep 21, 2013
Rhymeyjohn: in never said they healed her ok?
Christ didn't go about healing everybody. Infact, it was recorded that He was unable to do anything in Capanum where He came from because of unbelieve. Many of the miracles He did were as a result of the ppl's faith. Miracle is base on the level of faith you have and demonstrated towards your healing. You will agree with me that after all that Christ did, some are still suffering terribly not because God takes any glory in it, but rather because of inadequate knowledge of God's Word. And that is why we said that Christianity is not a religion but a personal relationship with God. How much of God you know personaly determine your level of victory. And who said your amputee friend hasn't been restored? All he needs to do is to take hold of his miracle and it will manifest. Abraham though physically dead yet had a baby because he had faith. You will need one when the need arises.
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Lordlexyy: 9:12am On Sep 21, 2013
@Rhymeyjohn. Sorry, i was actually adressing mazaje. I mistakenly quoted you.
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Emusan(m): 10:59am On Sep 21, 2013
God has visited me personally in my room 2005 & 2008 I wasn't in a trance nor dream but while I was praying. Very sweet to experience God's presence than reading Holy Bible only.

Shalom!
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 21, 2013
Emusan: God has visited me personally in my room 2005 & 2008 I wasn't in a trance nor dream but while I was praying. Very sweet to experience God's presence than reading Holy Bible only.

Shalom!

What happened when god visited you?
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Emusan(m): 12:40pm On Sep 21, 2013
NL member:

What happened when god visited you?

Overflow joy in my inner mind continues till now.

Shalom!
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 21, 2013
Emusan:

Overflow joy in my inner mind continues till now.

Shalom!

No no, don't shalom yet.

What happened during your encounter with god? Did he talk to you? Or touch you?
What did he look like?
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by RationalDude(m): 12:48pm On Sep 21, 2013
Emusan: God has visited me personally in my room 2005 & 2008 I wasn't in a trance nor dream but while I was praying. Very sweet to experience God's presence than reading Holy Bible only.

Shalom!
* For what reason did he visit you?
* Was he physically present in the same room as you? (emphasis on the "physically"wink
It's not enough for you to just say God visited you while you were praying, you have to give more info than that. Thanks.
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Emusan(m): 2:00pm On Sep 21, 2013
NL member:

No no, don't shalom yet.

What happened during your encounter with god? Did he talk to you? Or touch you?
What did he look like?

Touch
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by plaetton: 2:12pm On Sep 21, 2013
tobechi74: Do you belive in God, pray with faith he will reveals himself

Bs.

It's like saying: Do you believe in drunkeness, drink strong liqour and drunkeness will reveal itself to you.
Or do you believe in delusions, take esctacy and you will feel delusions.

Also, long before many of jettisoned the god racket, we had genuinely opened our heats and minds to see or feel this god.
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 21, 2013
Emusan:

Touch

OK.

I'm guessing he touched you with his hand, what part of your body did he touch?
Did anything else happen?
Did he just walk into your house, extend his hand to touch you then turn around and walk away without saying anything?

I really wish you'd stop being so vague and just write everything that happened in details.
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by plaetton: 2:18pm On Sep 21, 2013
SWG 1: God is a spirit being and we are spirit being living in a body. So i dont expect you to have goose pimples and chills while worshiping or praying to acknowledge his presence. We dont decern spiritual things with our five senses. God is not moved by emotion but faith which only comes by hearing and hearing of the word of GOD

First, the five senses are all that we have to discern reality.
For most tings beyond the reach of our five senses, we built instruments to detect them.
Now, whatever is beyond our five senses and detection by scientific instrumentation probably does not exist in uour reality.
If such exists beyond our reality, then we could have no meaningful or beneficial interaction with such.

Since one experiences god by faith, something that I agree with, then why would you not agree that god is created and lives in the minds of humans?
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Judas2013: 2:19pm On Sep 21, 2013
tobechi74: Do you belive in God, pray with faith he will reveals himself

If indeed he could reveal himself,you wouldn't need faith. Faith is the only weapon he is using to stay relevant. How long are you gonna have faith for huh? Ask yahweh to show himself or you will commit suicide! You will be surprised he won't show...why? Because he is not real or he just doesn't care about ya!
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by plaetton: 2:22pm On Sep 21, 2013
Rhymeyjohn: your desire to know God, if done sincerely is the first step to a real personal experience of Him. But you spoilt it when a were obviously asking for 'scientific' evidences of Gods reality, this obviously shows you are putting on the atheistic/philosohical view for your search. If you would be sincere to your self, pretend that you are not an atheist . If you stick with science, you have to follow the rules for scientific enquiry, for God, its faith (not blind fath). The end of this faith enquiry is the evidential proof you'd have, just has you do for science. The process is very simplistic (no wonder many atheist disdain the process even before starting). This could help, note, its a process
1. have a firm assurace that there is God
2. begin a relationship with Him by speaking to Him, (not necessarily following any religious codes). say something lovely, anything; just like you want to establish a friendship.
i could continue, if you ask for more.
One a personal note, i see God daily, atleast i can deny the ingeniueity that set this large cosmos in order. Concretely, i have had experiencies that prove God.i am a christian, so my experiences draw from that background. An example;years back,my little sister of about 2yrs had measles and was taking medication, but that day, events just twisted and she couldnt open her eyes, i then thought she was kidding, but after many calls and prompting, this babe couldnt just open her eyes again. Christian bethren were summoned and serious prayers were offered, after about 2hrs, she opened her eyes without any medical aid. {b] the point is, God say in His word "I am the Lord that Healeth thee" [/b] when it happens before your very eyes, just as He said it, what proof do i need again?

Another funny one.

Why are people still dying in the hospitals?
I believe measles is caused by a bacteria or virus.
Why did god create germs like that cause measles?
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by plaetton: 2:32pm On Sep 21, 2013
The funny thing about this faith thing is that once you claim to have it, then you begin to doubt it.
Faith is doubt.

Once you claim to have faith, then you have to constantly recharge it to keep it going.
Keeping faith charged at all times can be very demanding.
You now have to go to church more often, pray more often, carry a bigger bible, attend vigils and special prayers. Faith even demands a lot of money, a substantial part of your income.

Faith also has a terrible side effect. It's called the devil. Once you have faith, the Devils shows up everywhere you go to haunt ,taunt and tempt you.
And of course, to checkmate the Devil, you need more prayers, more special prayers, more vigils and , of course, more money.

The vicious cycle of faith.

Faith is funny, faith is a burden, faith=doubts

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:07pm On Sep 21, 2013
I saw God last year in my former church. I decide to join the drama group in the church and the group leader asked me to fast and pray for three days. I agreed to do this and get myself ready for for three days with eating any food and drinking tip of water.

On that very day I start the fasting, I was strong enough to climb the mountain close to the church for my prayer. In the evening time, I realised that food is a good thing so also is water. I struggled within myself for the following day. Inside the church at noon, I lost balance and not strong for any mountain climbing. Some church members were encouraging me to put more strength while other mocked me. I said my prayer in the church and laid down for rest. In the night, I saw my late grandma, Jesus and God. The whole church was rolling like dice which make me feel that I will fall. Bro.....I woke up on the third day in the hospital. I saw God and Jesus....if you want to see God, fast for a week with food and water.
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Rhymeyjohn: 3:07pm On Sep 21, 2013
plaetton:

Another funny one.

Why did god create germs like that cause measles?
another atheist atttempt to aimlessly punch air and claim/proof intelligent. my respect for atheists as intellectual folks has been shattered by those i meet here.
if you really care to know, ask your state's commisioner for health, or check into the closest general hospital and ask the CMD those questions.
Gosh! an atheist believes, lemme not laugh out loud; the same atheist that mess 'faith' and derides faith/believing suddenly 'believes' measles is caused by a bacteria or virus. you atheists obviously need help you are an embarasment to both atheistic and scientific worldvie for 'believing'. never knew we have believer atheists
Why did god create germs like that cause measles
Can you prove the above as truth beyond resonable doubt? God/god created germs?
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by SWG1: 3:07pm On Sep 21, 2013
Seriuosly i dont know wat u want. Do u want ur soul to be redeemed for eternity sake or u want to delve into spiritual realm to satisfy ur curiousity
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by plaetton: 3:20pm On Sep 21, 2013
Rhymeyjohn:
another atheist atttempt to aimlessly punch air and claim/proof intelligent. my respect for atheists as intellectual folks has been shattered by those i meet here.

if you really care to know, ask your state's commisioner for health, or check into the closest general hospital and ask the CMD those questions.

Gosh! an atheist believes, lemme not laugh out loud; the same atheist that mess 'faith' and derides faith/believing suddenly 'believes' measles is caused by a bacteria or virus. you atheists obviously need help you are an embarasment to both atheistic and scientific worldvie for 'believing'. never knew we have believer atheists

Can you prove the above as truth beyond resonable doubt? God/god created germs?

Another slowpoke disentagles when confronted with common sense.

You never even attempted to answer any questions because you cannot.
And yes, measles is caused by a virus.
Did your god not create every living thing including bacteria and viruses?
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Emusan(m): 3:32pm On Sep 21, 2013
RationalDude:
* For what reason did he visit you?
* Was he physically present in the same room as you? (emphasis on the "physically"wink
It's not enough for you to just say God visited you while you were praying, you have to give more info than that. Thanks.

See Jamb question....lol

I was praying and I invite His presence and God decided to show His presence....that's all.

Not physically alright....I'm using phone now by the time get on system maybe I will explain better.

Shalom!
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Emusan(m): 3:42pm On Sep 21, 2013
NL member:
I'm guessing he touched you with his hand, what part of your body did he touch?

Wrong, all over my body.

Did anything else happen?

I speak in tongues

Did he just walk into your house, extend his hand to touch you then turn around and walk away without saying anything?

My door was locked during my prayer He walked in from the door without open it and I begin to feel His movement toward me. Long story sha....

I really wish you'd stop being so vague and just write everything that happened in details.

i can't now because I'm using phone to chart.

Shalom!
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by Mintayo(m): 3:58pm On Sep 21, 2013
Heb 11:6.(NIV)
And without Faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must BELIEVE that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

You dnt believe that God exists,yet you want to experience Him?
It doesn't work that way!
Re: I Want To Know God and experience him by mazaje(m): 4:20pm On Sep 21, 2013

Shalom!

Can you describes his appearance and what he looked like and let us know that it is god not some other phenomena?. . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

"What Was The Great Schism?" / Six Facts About You / Muslim Refugees Chant “allahu Akbar,” “f**k You,” Attack Citizens, Throw Feces

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.