Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life (2508 Views)

The Power Behind Sex / Destination Of Sin By Pastor Adeboye / The True Sin In The Garden Of Eden: Eve Slept With Satan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Goshen360(m): 1:38am On Sep 21, 2013
Death’s ·power to hurt [sting] is sin, and the power of sin is the law. - 1 Corinthians 15:56, Expanded Bible (EXB)

Many Christians are trying to stop a sinful life by keeping and observing the 'thou shall not' not realizing that Christ is the CURE for a sinful lifestyle. The more Christ is formed in us, and we becoming more like Christ, the more our light shine to the world in this dark age and time; our sinful lifestyle dies under the image of Christ by His Grace. Unknowing to many Christians, you're are actually adding fuel to sin by keeping the law of 'thou shall not' because the law is the strength and power of sin or sinful nature in a man. That's why Paul, the Apostle explained that, when you take away the law, you have solved the problem of sin because when there's no law (strength & power of sin) to break or transgress, there's no sin committed.

Because the law can only bring God’s anger [wrath]. But if there is no law, there is ·nothing to disobey [no transgression/violation; the law points out sin, but it cannot save from sin] - Romans 4:15, Expanded Bible (EXB)

We already have a sinful nature that we carry - the flesh and rather than crucify this flesh, many are trying to feed the flesh with the law, they are trying to give power and strengthen this sinful nature. You cannot stop sinning by keeping the law but by becoming more like Christ in his image and likeness. You have borne the image of the first man, Adam, by which and through which you BECAME a sinner; now you need to bear the image of the Son of God through and by which you BECOME righteous - That's the cure to sin because this Son of God had been made "sin" for you. The more you keep trying to keep the law as an instrument to stop sinning, the more you get God's wrath and anger when such laws are broken. Romans 4:15.

to be continue . . .

2 Likes

Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Goshen360(m): 2:03am On Sep 21, 2013
The law came ·to make sin worse [or to reveal the true extent of sin; to increase the violation/transgression]. But when sin ·grew worse [increased; multiplied], God’s grace ·increased [multiplied/abounded all the more]. Romans 5:20, Expanded Bible (EXB)

Many thinks following more of the law rather than becoming more like Christ will solve human problems. Scripture makes it clear that the law make sin WORSE. The law did not stop sin but only pointed it out and it increased it. Knowing Christ and becoming more like Christ is the cure, not the law. Becoming more like Christ is having the very Grace to go and sin no more.

Faults are found with believers; believers sin, but we are not sinners because the death, burial and resurrection of Christ have given us a positional change as well as a nature change - 1 Corinthians 15:17. We are saints and righteousness of God in Christ Jesus and the law is not made for the righteous - 1 Timothy 1:9. Is Christ therefore a minister of sin? No!!! He administrates holiness by his Spirit through Grace. When we yield to his Lordship we are fulfilling his commands and not yielding to the flesh. We are no longer relating to God in a "legal\law" relationship but in a "loving" relationship. Our position changes From law to Grace.

Using the law to stop sinning is self defeating it only shows you your sin. Its like trying to wash your face with a mirror. The only way you get victory over the sin is not by concentrating on the sin or obeying the law, its by an overall relationship with Christ and applying his death and resurrection power. By focusing on him , following him, yielding to him we have power over sin. When you walk in the Spirit you won’t fulfill the desires of the flesh because the law has nothing against the fruit of the Spirit - Galatians 5:22-23. This is Gods solution!!!.

to be continue . . .

2 Likes

Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Goshen360(m): 2:31am On Sep 21, 2013
The law [of Moses] could not make anything perfect. But now a better hope has been given to us, and ·with [by means of; through] this hope we can ·come near to [approach] God. Hebrews 7:19; Expanded Bible (EXB)

The law, the 10 Commandments inclusive require no life of prayer, no Christian service, no evangelism, no missionary effort, no gospel preaching, no life and walk in the Spirit, no Fatherhood of God, no union with Christ, no fellowship of saints, no hope of salvation, and no hope of heaven. If it is asserted that we have all these because we have both the law and grace, it is replied that the law adds nothing to grace but confusion and contradiction, and that there is the most faithful warning in the Scriptures against this admixture. A few times the teachings of the law are referred to by the writers of the Epistles by way of illustration. Having stated the obligation under grace, they cite the fact that this same obtained under the law. There is, however, no basis here for a commingling of these two governing systems. The law of Moses presents a covenant of works to be wrought in the energy of the flesh; the teachings of grace present a covenant of faith to be wrought in the energy of the Spirit.

God's method to stop sinning is the opposite of what many believes and practice, it is not by keeping or obeying the law; it is through Christ, His Grace and the Holy Spirit in us.

Death’s ·power to hurt [sting] is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But we thank God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:56-57; Expanded Bible (EXB)

King James Bible
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. Romans 8:1-5

King James Bible
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. Romans 8:13

to be continue . . .
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Goshen360(m): 2:55am On Sep 21, 2013
Under the Old covenant, solution to stop sinning is obeying and following the law. Under the new covenant, Paul, the Apostle by the revelation of Christ gives us the solution in Galatians 5:16-25. He writes, if we walk in the Spirit we won’t sin - that's our power for an overcoming life. In verse 18, we are not under the law - he gave himself in the new covenant instead of rules. The law does not correct behavior it only shows our behavior, it is the Spirit that has the power for the new life. In verse 24, we crucify the flesh. It is by obeying the Spirit's directives in the New Covenant. By walking in the Spirit which is a habitual behavior trains one for a new manner of life, it diminishes the carnal desires that make one sin. We will not walk contrary to the law but will fulfill its requirements not by concentrating on the law but on Christ.

The intention of the fruit of the Spirit is to constrain the believer to a life in which the natural tendencies shall have no place, and to produce in him their direct contraries of what the law could not do in its weakness. Law, therefore, has nothing to say against the fruit of the Spirit; hence the believer is not only not under law; the law finds no scope in his life, inasmuch as, and in so far as, he is led by the Spirit

In the past ·sin controlled you [you were slaves to sin]. But thank God, you ·fully obeyed [obeyed from the heart] the ·things [accepted/orthodox teaching; example/pattern of teaching] ·that you were taught [or that have claimed your allegiance; to which you were delivered/entrusted]. 18 You were set free from sin, and now you are slaves to ·goodness [righteousness].

Finally, sin shall not have dominion over you because you are not under THE LAW because THE LAW is the POWER and STRENGTH of sin.

[For] Sin will not ·be your master [exercise dominion/power over you], because you are not under law but under God’s grace. Romans 6:14, Expanded Bible (EXB)

The only reason you keeping sinning is because you still subjecting yourself to the law rather than subjecting yourself to the power of the Holy Spirit through the Grace of Christ.

Grace be multiplied unto you!!!
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Joagbaje(m): 4:19am On Sep 21, 2013
All these will soon end in tithing . shocked
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Candour(m): 4:28am On Sep 21, 2013
Joagbaje: All these will soon end in tithing . shocked

Bro Jo, this your pepper body about tithe is becoming very unbecoming o cool.......are you scared or something? wink
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Joagbaje(m): 5:03am On Sep 21, 2013
Not at all . If you give tithes ,it's between you and God. cool I give mine
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Candour(m): 5:15am On Sep 21, 2013
Joagbaje:
Not at all . If you give tithes ,it's between you and God. cool I give mine

i'm happy for you then grin

cheers
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by DrummaBoy(m): 1:01pm On Sep 21, 2013
Joagbaje: All these will soon end in tithing . shocked

And what if it does?

In every generation Moses' laws has always threatened the grace that is found freely in Jesus. In the days of Apostle Paul it was circumcision; in our day and time, it is tithing. So anybody that wishes to teach the doctrine of grace today and does not wish to offend "tithers" has not started at all.

1 Like

Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by PastorOluT(m): 3:08pm On Sep 21, 2013
Reserved
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 21, 2013
Goshen360:

A few times the teachings of the law are referred to by the writers of the Epistles by way of illustration. Having stated the obligation under grace, they cite the fact that this same obtained under the law. There is, however, no basis here for a commingling of these two governing systems.

Thanks for that statement above, this has been a bit confusing to me how Paul stated that the law is obsolete yet he went ahead to quote one of the 10 commandment which brings death...

Eph 6:1-3
children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink

3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

KJV

which he takes from

Ex 20:12

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
KJV

So my question is how can something be obsolete yet he quotes it? Something that brings death, written on stones, be emphasised in grace... James says if you must keep one you must keep all the 10 cmds...

can you shade some light on this...Thanks for the write up... i appreciate it... smiley
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Goshen360(m): 12:22am On Sep 22, 2013
^ Thanks for that question. One thing is very clear, one must be a good study of the word especially the epistles of Paul to really understand Paul's teaching through the Holy Spirit and careful word study, then you can pull out the sword of the Spirit in the right interpretation.

That being said, Paul is not referencing the the law to enforce the law and its dictates on Christians while he refutes the law teachers. Wherever you see Paul reference the law, check the context, he will always establish the new covenant stand or the Grace through faith aspect of such teachings.

Back to your question: What Paul is saying is, there're two groups of people in the church of Christ. 1, The Jews. 2, The Gentiles. The Gentiles are you and I who are not born Jewish by birth or in national Israel. These two groups of people are ONE because of what Christ had done.

The Jews are the ones God gave the Law to and the first covenant belongs to them. The Gentiles never had the law nor are they part of the first covenant.

King James Bible
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Romans 2:14

Here Paul, the Apostles says, the Gentiles, you and I, DO NOT HAVE THE LAW but yet, we do things written in the law...THEN WE ARE A LAW UNTO OURSELVES.

Glory to God. What he's saying is, you don't need the law to tell you to obey\honour your father and mother even though the law of Moses said so but you're doing so out of natural instinct and through the Holy Spirit in you, even though on the other side, it was said so in the law. By referencing the law of Moses as per obeying and honouring mother\father is a supportive line for his teachings or argument. That's why you will often read Paul making statements like, "Doesn't the LAW say the SAME thing"? I will do another teaching on that topic someday soon.

I hope this answered your question.
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2013
Goshen360: Glory to God. What he's saying is, you don't need the law to tell you to obey\honour your father and mother even though the law of Moses said so but you're doing so out of natural instinct and through the Holy Spirit in you, even though on the other side, it was said so in the law. By referencing the law of Moses as per obeying and honouring mother\father is a supportive line for his teachings or argument. That's why you will often read Paul making statements like, "Doesn't the LAW say the SAME thing"? I will do another teaching on that topic someday soon.

I hope this answered your question.

thanks for that reply... i feel olright with the above answer... i would be glad and looking forward to other issues that looks it been in the law that paul refers to...thanks cheesy
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by anukulapo: 7:48pm On Dec 29, 2013
Goshen360:

The law, the 10 Commandments inclusive require...no hope of salvation, and no hope of heaven.

Really?
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Goshen360(m): 8:06pm On Dec 29, 2013
anukulapo:

Really?

CAPITAL. ....YES!!!
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by haibe(m): 8:11pm On Dec 29, 2013
Nawa o this thread don old na
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Goshen360(m): 8:20pm On Dec 29, 2013
haibe: Nawa o this thread don old na

Never mind, we can resurrect any thread we're not satisfied with. cheesy
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by anukulapo: 11:03pm On Dec 29, 2013
Goshen360:

CAPITAL. ....YES!!!
*** question about eternal life ***
"And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. " (Luke 18:18-19).

*** a reference to the law of Moses by Jesus***

"Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up." (Luke 18:20-21).

The law was a way to salvation (for those that can fulfil it. The problem is not with the law for the law was capable of giving eternal life if you can fulfil its requirement. The problem is that people were unable to fulfil it because they ware not empowered--"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you..." (Acts 1:cool

***Now that "the" way is around and open,Jesus offered the excellent way***
"Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich." (Luke 18:22-23).

####See also Luke 10: 25 - 29####
So bro,"Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good." (Romans 7:12).

There is nothing wrong with the law but with man. "For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin." (Romans 7:14).

The reason God had to do away with the law and not do away with man is that man is the subject matter and not the law. God didn't create man so that he can glorify the law, he created the law to save man. So,the law can be changed for all he cares just to save his precious creations.
Re: The Law Is The Power And Strength Of Sin In Your Life by Goshen360(m): 2:40am On Dec 30, 2013
anukulapo:
*** question about eternal life ***
"And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. " (Luke 18:18-19).

This man is a man of the law and have the attitudes of the people and they being under the law - the attitude of what must I do, that is works for\unto salvation or to eternal life. Don't you think something is wrong in that text if truly eternal life is in Christ and Christ pointing this man to the 10 commandments? John 6:40, John 3:16 & John 6:68. Certainly something is wrong and I'm taking you on that journey of discovery, if you will allow me.

Eternal life is not in keeping the 10 commandments but in Christ. Christ pointing this man to the commandment is to show him he can't keep the 10 to have life because this man already came with the attitude of law people in his heart - what must I DO, showing works for salvation. You can get the Hebrew syntax to understand the way words are said.

2. If the 10 gives eternal life, this man would have gotten it because he said he kept the 10 from CHILDHOOD. But listen to Christ, he still lack ONE thing. How can someone keep the 10 from childhood but to Christ, he still lack ONE thing. Meaning, you can't keep the whole law or the 10 to have eternal life, you will always lack one thing and when you lack one thing, you haven't kept any of the 10. The thing you lack is what points you to the Savior where lies in the eternal life.

anukulapo:

"Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up." (Luke 18:20-21).

King James Bible
Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Look at the two highlighted words again. This man was talking to the one who gave the law in the first place and boasting he had kept the ALL the 10 from his childhood. Jesus HEARD THESE THINGS.....something is wrong and Christ turned the talk - This man is break the very first commandment (Have no other gods before me) but thinks he had kept ALL - He had made money his god. Hahahahahahahahahaha! Meaning, he have broken ALL from childhood.

anukulapo:

The law was a way to salvation (for those that can fulfil it. The problem is not with the law for the law was capable of giving eternal life if you can fulfil its requirement. The problem is that people were unable to fulfil it because they ware not empowered--"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you..." (Acts 1:cool

The law was a way to salvation (for those that can fulfil it).

1. This is not true! The law is to show men their sin and bring them to the END OF THEMSELVES so they can see a need for a Saviour.

New International Version
Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come.

New Living Translation
Why, then, was the law given? It was given alongside the promise to show people their sins.

In one of my threads, I showed what "their sins" was that brought about the giving of the law - it's the same thing the man in Luke was doing, boasting he can keep ALL.

2. The law was given so that sin will increase, not a way to Salvation. Christ is the way!

The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase.

New American Standard Bible
The Law came in so that the transgression would increase;

King James Bible
Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
The law came along to multiply the trespass.

The problem is not with the law for the law was capable of giving eternal life if you can fulfil its requirement.

If the law could give eternal life, then there's no eternal life in Christ in the first place. No need for Christ to come give us eternal life. The problem is, you have to know the event that led to giving of the law, then you will understand that law is purely sin revival. God never intended man to live by laws and regulations etc but to live by His Spirit.

The problem is that people were unable to fulfil it because they ware not empowered--"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you..." (Acts 1:cool

Do you receive the Spirit to fulfill the law or to live the life in the Spirit? The scripture you quoted ^ doesn't say anything about keeping the law by the Spirit empowerment, check your concordance what that power means. "against such (that is, life in the Spirit), there's no law". You are saying exactly opposite to the Apostolic doctrine.

2 Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the [Holy] Spirit as the result of obeying the Law and doing its works, or was it by hearing [the message of the Gospel] and believing [it]? [Was it from observing a law of rituals or from a message of faith?] 3 Are you so foolish and so senseless and so silly? Having begun [your new life spiritually] with the [Holy] Spirit, are you now reaching perfection [by dependence] on the flesh? Galatians 3, Amplified Bible (AMP)

In other words, what makes you think you can continue to live by the Spirit if you haven't obeyed any law to start with in the first place?

anukulapo:

***Now that "the" way is around and open,Jesus offered the excellent way***
"Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich." (Luke 18:22-23).

The problem is, you and some folks are using the old testament to interpret the new. The should be the other way round. Look again at the scene and what Christ said to this man if it doesn't tally with

. . . to show men their sin and bring them to the END OF THEMSELVES so they can see a need for a Saviour.

Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come.

New Living Translation
Why, then, was the law given? It was given alongside the promise to show people their sins.

Christ was using the 10 to show this man he still lack one thing and to bring him to the end of himself so he can see the need for HIM, Christ as Saviour in whom is eternal life. So we can read, "Christ is the END of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes".

When Christ used the law to show this man who said he had kept ALL from childhood the true purpose of the law, that is, to bring this man to the end of himself, he came to the end of himself, knowing he had broken all the law, he made money his god, breaking the very first and meaning he broke all, and kept none from childhood.

That is why this scripture is true,

We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.

New Living Translation
We know that the law is good when used correctly.

English Standard Version
Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully,

What does this mean, it means there's an incorrect or improper or unlawful ways of using the law. That's what you're doing - you are using the law as a means of salvation or a way of salvation or quoting the law as a way to eternal life. That's an improper way of using the law! Jesus used the law rightly in that context, using it to bring that man to the end of himself.

anukulapo:

So bro,"Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good." (Romans 7:12).
There is nothing wrong with the law but with man. "For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin." (Romans 7:14).

Again, the law is good, when a man uses it in a good way. In the way for which it was given. The commandment is holy if used in holy ways. Again, try go study how the law came into existence so you can understand these things - it is man boasting to God to DO works to be made righteous and justified in the eyes of God but God's way of making people right with him is through Christ, the final sacrifice, not works of men.

Also, when you read the law is spiritual, you think it is spiritual being or what? Jesus said the similar thing - the words that I speak to you are spirit and life. Does that means words are spirit? Please find out what it means that the law is spiritual.

anukulapo:

The reason God had to do away with the law and not do away with man is that man is the subject matter and not the law. God didn't create man so that he can glorify the law, he created the law to save man. So,the law can be changed for all he cares just to save his precious creations.

The reason God had to do away with the law and not do away with man is that man is the subject matter and not the law.

So you agree God has done away with the law? And you also agree, "God didn't create man so that he can glorify the law"? Why then are you glorifying the ten commandments? Why are you glorifying the law instead of glorifying Christ? Don't you know Christ is the reason for which the law was given? To lead men to Christ? I leave you with this verse,

New American Standard Bible
I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died;

King James Bible
For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

The law = the commandment, the 10. I was alive WITHOUT the law, the 10. You for don leaf me alone jeje, (without the law) the moment you gave me the law, SIN revival began in me and sin = death, because the wages of sin is death and what I was given is the law of SIN and DEATH.

(1) (Reply)

Would You Kill Your Only Child as a Sacrifice, If Asked By Your God? / More Headache For Trinitarians!(NON-CHRISTIANS ARE NOT INVITED) / Christians Confess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.