Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,937 members, 7,814,177 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Propitiation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Propitiation (674 Views)

Purpose: Sent For Propitiation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Propitiation by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:38am On Sep 23, 2013
Propitiation
September 22, 2013

"And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world" (1 John 2:2).

Most of the words in the King James Bible are words of one or two syllables (our text verse, for example, has 21 such short words and only one big word; but that word, “propitiation,” has five syllables, and so has elicited much complaint from folks who don’t like to use dictionaries). What does “propitiation” mean?

The Greek word is hilasmos and occurs just two other times. These are as follows:

“Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God” (Romans 3:25). “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (1 John 4:10).

As an aside, note that these two verses contain two words of two syllables, three of three syllables, and 48 of one syllable. But both also include “propitiation,” and that seems to be a problem. Nevertheless, “propitiation” is certainly the most accurate word to convey the meaning of the original. The dictionary gives “expiation” and “conciliation” as definitions, but that probably doesn’t help much.

In any case, the action of the Lord Jesus in submitting His body to be a substitutionary sacrifice to pay the penalty for our sins and to endure God’s wrath against all the sins of the world, thereby enabling Him to be reconciled to us, with Christ’s perfect righteousness credited to our account, is seen in these three verses to be a basic theme of this great truth of Christ’s propitiatory work on the cross. And surely, as John says: “Herein is love,” that God would so love us that He would offer up His Son, and Christ would so love us that He would die for us. Surely, this is love! HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Propitiation by Goshen360(m): 4:54am On Sep 25, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

In any case, the action of the Lord Jesus in submitting His body to be a substitutionary sacrifice[b] to pay the penalty for our sins and to endure God’s wrath against all the sins of the world, thereby enabling Him to be reconciled to us, with Christ’s perfect righteousness credited to our account, is seen in these three verses to be a basic theme of this great truth of Christ’s propitiatory work on the cross.[/b] And surely, as John says: “Herein is love,” that God would so love us that He would offer up His Son, and Christ would so love us that He would die for us. Surely, this is love! HMM

This is a New Testament teaching and revealing the finished works of the cross of Christ. However, what is supposed to be said is missing. So let's get into it.

1. When you said Christ is the 'penalty' for our sins and to endure God's wrath, which sin(s) are you referring to? - sins committed BEFORE salvation or AFTER salvation or both?

2. If Christ is the 'penalty' for sins, does God still punish believers in Christ after Christ is the penalty?

3. If you\we have Christ’s perfect righteousness credited to our account because of His propitiatory work on the cross, are we\you still in our sin even though we sin at times? Also, are we still a sinner...by nature of new birth?
Re: Propitiation by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:29am On Sep 25, 2013
Goshen360:

This is a New Testament teaching and revealing the finished works of the cross of Christ. However, what is supposed to be said is missing. So let's get into it.

1. When you said Christ is the 'penalty' for our sins and to endure God's wrath, which sin(s) are you referring to? - sins committed BEFORE salvation or AFTER salvation or both?

I didn't say Christ is the 'penalty' for sin. Christ submitted His body and shed His blood to pay or satisfy the penalty of our sins.

Goshen360:

2. If Christ is the 'penalty' for sins, does God still punish believers in Christ after Christ is the penalty?

Christ paid the penalty for our sins. In other words, Christ gave us an open cheque (check) to pay for our debts. If you then choose to live in penury and die of starvation without going to the bank to withdraw to pay off your indebtedness then that is your choice.

Goshen360:

3. If you\we have Christ’s perfect righteousness credited to our account because of His propitiatory work on the cross, are we\you still in our sin even though we sin at times? Also, are we still a sinner...by nature of new birth?

If you refuse to confess and forsake your sins, if you no longer believe in Christ's efficacious blood for the forgiveness of your sins and you no longer walk in faith then you/we are a sinners/backslidders. (see 1 John 1:9; Proverbs 28:13).

2 Likes

Re: Propitiation by Goshen360(m): 11:52am On Sep 25, 2013
Okay, I will be back soon.
Re: Propitiation by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Propitiation
September 22, 2013

"And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world" (1 John 2:2).

Most of the words in the King James Bible are words of one or two syllables (our text verse, for example, has 21 such short words and only one big word; but that word, “propitiation,” has five syllables, and so has elicited much complaint from folks who don’t like to use dictionaries). What does “propitiation” mean?

The Greek word is hilasmos and occurs just two other times. These are as follows:

“Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God” (Romans 3:25). “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (1 John 4:10).

As an aside, note that these two verses contain two words of two syllables, three of three syllables, and 48 of one syllable. But both also include “propitiation,” and that seems to be a problem. Nevertheless, “propitiation” is certainly the most accurate word to convey the meaning of the original. The dictionary gives “expiation” and “conciliation” as definitions, but that probably doesn’t help much.

In any case, the action of the Lord Jesus in submitting His body to be a substitutionary sacrifice to pay the penalty for our sins and to endure God’s wrath against all the sins of the world, thereby enabling Him to be reconciled to us, with Christ’s perfect righteousness credited to our account, is seen in these three verses to be a basic theme of this great truth of Christ’s propitiatory work on the cross. And surely, as John says: “Herein is love,” that God would so love us that He would offer up His Son, and Christ would so love us that He would die for us. Surely, this is love! HMM

For more . . . .

I will be back. cool
Re: Propitiation by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
Goshen360:

Okay, I will be back soon.

Is this a tactical withdrawal or what?

1 Like

Re: Propitiation by Nobody: 5:09am On Oct 08, 2013
Goshen360: Okay, I will be back soon.
such a shame. Your arrogance concerning scriptures undecided
Re: Propitiation by Gombs(m): 6:39am On Oct 08, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Is this a tactical withdrawal or what?

No, He means "Let me go and think of frivolous things that would make Ola repeat answers evn into the 10th page"
Re: Propitiation by Gombs(m): 6:41am On Oct 08, 2013
Bidam: such a shame. Your arrogance concerning scriptures undecided

You are saying the above like you just met Goshen? grin

He is a veteran in what you described him as, but I like to think he does wanna learn. I pray for him, you shd too
Re: Propitiation by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:19am On Oct 08, 2013
Bidam:

such a shame. Your arrogance concerning scriptures undecided

Maybe he's still concocting new questions to trip me. cheesy
Re: Propitiation by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:24am On Oct 08, 2013
Gombs:

No, He means "Let me go and think of frivolous things that would make Ola repeat answers evn into the 10th page"

That is a good description of Goshen's modus operandi. smiley
Re: Propitiation by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:27am On Oct 08, 2013
Gombs:

You are saying the above like you just met Goshen? grin

He is a veteran in what you described him as, but I like to think he does wanna learn. I pray for him, you shd too

Let's hope that he will be right back as he promised. cool
Re: Propitiation by Goshen360(m): 11:57am On Oct 08, 2013
Na me una brother una dey carry sweep ground like this? grin

Okay, I will be back!!! grin
Re: Propitiation by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:37am On Oct 09, 2013
Goshen360:

Na me una brother una dey carry sweep ground like this? grin

Okay, I will be back!!! grin

You came back only to say this? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Must All Christians Speak In Tongues? / Differences Between Jesus And Pastors / ‘deny Christ Or Die,’ Boko Haram Tells Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.