Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,065 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:50 PM

Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute (6032 Views)

How To Diagnose Alternator Problems / Which Is Best, Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape And Mitsubishi Outlander? / Mazda Tribute;Pls share your Sincere Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by omotoda(m): 11:28pm On Sep 23, 2013
The alternator on my mazda tribute is faulty.It seems not to be charging the battery.Once I am accelerating, the battery indicator light disappears but as soon as I slow down or come to a halt it appears and stays on until I accelerate again.This is the second alternator on this vehicle with mileage under 68000miles and from research on the internet, it seems to be a common problem with the tribute.

Can anyone recommend where I can buy brand new alternator for the mazda tribute as I do not want to end up buying 'tokunbo' again?
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:35pm On Sep 23, 2013
Two issues:

(1) The problem might be that you have bought a bad alternator from the start
(2) The problem might be that there is a bad wiring of the alternator in your car/car charging system

To determine which is which I encourage you to go to a tested and trusted and sound electrical mechanic to help you determine which is your problem

Bottom line is that you might have a good alternator but faulty wiring, but I cannot say for sure unless your car is tested.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by neuronin: 9:22am On Sep 24, 2013
From personal experiences as a Mazda Tribute user, most likely your fans have been directed.
When you start your car, do the fans start simultaneously with the engine? If yes you need to correct that first.

I used 5 alternators, plus a new one, and 4 new batteries in 5 months trying to solve this problem. Then I went to automedics and I was told it was because my fans had been directed by Nigerian techs; i laughed them to scorn at such a simple explanation for such a nagging problem, but then I allowed them to return the fans to their original config and since then I've not had any issue with my charging system. That was like a year ago.

4 Likes

Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by omotoda(m): 11:02am On Sep 24, 2013
neuronin: From personal experiences as a Mazda Tribute user, most likely your fans have been directed.
When you start your car, do the fans start simultaneously with the engine? If yes you need to correct that first.

I used 5 alternators, plus a new one, and 4 new batteries in 5 months trying to solve this problem. Then I went to automedics and I was told it was because my fans had been directed by Nigerian techs; i laughed them to scorn at such a simple explanation for such a nagging problem, but then I allowed them to return the fans to their original config and since then I've not had any issue with my charging system. That was like a year ago.
Thanks.The wirirng system has never been touched.The car is just F months old and I have not done any repair asides normal servicing.The fans work automatically and have not been reconnected in any way.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by Burger01(m): 1:19pm On Sep 24, 2013
@Op, don't bother yourself over the alt light. I've been using my Tribute '02 model with the alt light on since I bought it. To really know if your alt is bad remove the battery terminals while the engine is running. if the engine stalls then ur alt is not charging otherwise its good.

Mazda Tribute is a very good and dependable jeep. Never had an issue of any form with it. Regular serving would keep the engine in top shape..

Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by ozoneamani: 7:42pm On Sep 24, 2013
Burger01: @Op, don't bother yourself over the alt light. I've been using my Tribute '02 model with the alt light on since I bought it. To really know if your alt is bad remove the battery terminals while the engine is running. if the engine stalls then ur alt is not charging otherwise its good.

Mazda Tribute is a very good and dependable jeep. Never had an issue of any form with it. Regular serving would keep the engine in top shape..

Goodluck.
Am also using thf samf tribute as above but will like to ask u which oil type do u use for ur servicing? What about ur spare parts. Thanks
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by Burger01(m): 9:18am On Sep 25, 2013
^^^

The oil rating for the Tribute is Semi Synthetic 5w30 but I use Total (Total 40) but will confirm. As for my transmission I use Holts and it's Dexron III compactible. and my transmission works so responsively. Always make sure you don't engage to AWD for a speed above 60km/hr. AWD is used off road. The tribute has an automatic 4wd or 2wd selection. The 4wd kicks in automatically when needed..

You can get the engine oil from a company in Yaba. Can't remember the company but call 08035559999 or 08085373626. The parts are readily available around Ojuelegba just about a turning to your right before you reach the overhead bridge when inbound from Ikorodu road.

I never heard any issue with the jeep and I travel interstates a lot. I always make sure I service it as at when due.

Cheers.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by ozoneamani: 1:54pm On Sep 25, 2013
Thanks for the quick response.
Burger01: ^^^

The oil rating for the Tribute is Semi Synthetic 5w30 but I use Total (Total 40) but will confirm. As for my transmission I use Holts and it's Dexron III compactible. and my transmission works so responsively. Always make sure you don't engage to AWD for a speed above 60km/hr. AWD is used off road. The tribute has an automatic 4wd or 2wd selection. The 4wd kicks in automatically when needed..

You can get the engine oil from a company in Yaba. Can't remember the company but call 08035559999 or 08085373626. The parts are readily available around Ojuelegba just about a turning to your right before you reach the overhead bridge when inbound from Ikorodu road.

I never heard any issue with the jeep and I travel interstates a lot. I always make sure I service it as at when due.

Cheers.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by omotoda(m): 2:51pm On Sep 25, 2013

Cheers.

How long have been using your?Mine is 6 months old.Most of its parts are Ford's which explains why Ojuelegba is the main place for parts and not Ladipo.I agree that it is a really good SUV except for this alternator issue.and the annoying thing is the alternator is located somewhere under by the passenger side so you have to bring out the CV joints to get to it.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by femmy2010(m): 5:21am On Sep 26, 2013
neuronin: From personal experiences as a Mazda Tribute user, most likely your fans have been directed.

This most likely explains it.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by ozoneamani: 8:57am On Sep 26, 2013
omotoda:

How long have been using your?Mine is 6 months old.Most of its parts are Ford's which explains why Ojuelegba is the main place for parts and not Ladipo.I agree that it is a really good SUV except for this alternator issue.and the annoying thing is the alternator is located somewhere under by the passenger side so you have to bring out the CV joints to get to it.
Hi. It's been a year and one month. Got it from my former landlord with faulty alternator,which was caused by him. The only problem is the leaking coolant container and oil. Am still hoping someone could help with the delivery of the container but overall,it is a good SUV.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:39pm On Sep 26, 2013
There is another possibility, in addition to the above, that the alternator is not supplying adequate power.

Have you tried using it with the A/C on? Was it so strained ( that is, it could not keep up and so it drained your battery?)

Has it ever "died" on you? From personal experience, I would not do interstate until this issue is sorted out.

That's not the way the vehicle's charging system was meant to work!

Should I hook you up with an electrician?
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by omotoda(m): 7:44am On Sep 27, 2013
IdaraCHODB: There is another possibility, in addition to the above, that the alternator is not supplying adequate power.

Have you tried using it with the A/C on? Was it so strained ( that is, it could not keep up and so it drained your battery?)

Has it ever "died" on you? From personal experience, I would not do interstate until this issue is sorted out.

That's not the way the vehicle's charging system was meant to work!

Should I hook you up with an electrician?

Thanks.The vehicle has never died on me.I changed the alternator 2 days ago.It was discovered that the diode was bad.I had to replace with another tokunbo which I pray will last longer this time around.The position of the alternator based on the engine design is kind of flawed for tribute.The alternator is placed beneath the car where you have harshest conditions in terms of contact with water.I just hope it lasts this time.I would appreciate contact of a parts dealer that selss new tribute parts from the house.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by Burger01(m): 8:50am On Sep 30, 2013
^^^

Good to know you fixed the problem. The diode was really the culprit. Mine has had it's alt light on right from Kansas. I just don't bother about fixing it but now I'm tempted to do so.

I've been using mine for a year 4 months now and sincerely speaking it's been smooth, good and mostly dependable.

BTW, how much did you get the alternator and where did you fix it?

Cheers.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by omotoda(m): 11:11am On Sep 30, 2013

Good to know you fixed the problem. The diode was really the culprit. Mine has had it's alt light on right from Kansas. I just don't bother about fixing it but now I'm tempted to do so.

I've been using mine for a year 4 months now and sincerely speaking it's been smooth, good and mostly dependable.

BTW, how much did you get the alternator and where did you fix it?

Cheers.

My brother, if your alternator is charging the battery , do not bother because I can bet you will never get one as reliable as what is there presently.

I bought the first alternator for 12k and this second one for 10k.the guy discounted 2k because the one I bought initially did not last more than a month.

But honestly, I am looking at getting a new one from US cos all these tokunbo are just not worth the trouble.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by Burger01(m): 9:09am On Oct 04, 2013
^^^

Thanks. You are right! Although my alt light has been on since I bought the Tribute but it had never died on me. It charges the battery well and fine. I think I rather leave it the way it is before some rewires scatter my wiring connections in the process of changing the alternator.

Thanks.
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by DavidCN: 7:46pm On Dec 19, 2019
@ Idarachodb, please kindly assist me with a reliable electrician. My mazda tribute 2001 v6 gives trouble with the alternator. Alt puts out 14.3v and then drops to 13.8 about an hour after. When i switch on Ac, and the radiator fans kick in high, the voltage starts dropping even up to 12.3 until the engine cools off and it rises up to 13.5v. Do you think its normal? Kindly help me with a reliable electrician for this vehicle. Thanks
Re: Faulty Alternator In 2003 Mazda Tribute by hayjayman(m): 8:38pm On Dec 19, 2019
DavidCN:
@ Idarachodb, please kindly assist me with a reliable electrician. My mazda tribute 2001 v6 gives trouble with the alternator. Alt puts out 14.3v and then drops to 13.8 about an hour after. When i switch on Ac, and the radiator fans kick in high, the voltage starts dropping even up to 12.3 until the engine cools off and it rises up to 13.5v. Do you think its normal? Kindly help me with a reliable electrician for this vehicle. Thanks

You don't have an issue with the supplied voltage or the Alternator itself as long as it provides above 12v which can only charge your battery. It's normal for the voltage to rise to 14.3 when you start up your engine because of high rpm and come down gradually as the engine rpm comes down. Depending on the load of the electrical of the vehicle on the Alternator, it can even come down to 11.7,that is when the charge on your battery comes in, so as long as you have a good battery, you don't have issue.. Enjoy your ride.... But why would someone change an Alternator because of a bad diode.. Diode can easily be replaced in an Alternator now, and the Alternator becomes as new.. Some peeps likes to waste money sha..

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Highlander Vs Honda CRV - Pls Advise / My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project / Car Odometer Measurement Information You Might Not Be Aware Of

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.