Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,819 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? (4523 Views)

Pot Belly : More Hereditary Than Alcoholic In Nature / Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? / Hereditary Diseases And Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 8:10am On Sep 24, 2013
I ave a friend whose family had an history of tuberculosis,he has bin having persistent cough for 4 weeks alongsides fever nd pain,i want to knw if tuberculosis can b passed down from parents to offspring
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by marvelling(m): 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2013
Nope its not! But there are certain risk factors that predispose some individuals to certain diseases. It can't be passed genetically or vertically (vertical transmission of diseases) as in the case of some infections. As far as I know TB is transfered horizontally.
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 09, 2013
Tuberculosis is caused by mycobacterium tuberculosis, a gram positive rod, mycobacterium tuberculosis is transmitted by shedding of the bacilli through sputum as a result of spontaneous coughing, it is usually latent infection, without cough, opportunistic infections such as AIDS will lead to chronic coughing, perforation of lung tissue with ulceration, bloody sputum.....Finally it is never genetically acquired , so from my epidemiological knowledge he may have contacted it from the father, people with tuberculosis are supposed to be quarantined to prevent spread.
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 7:20pm On Oct 09, 2013
cowleg: Tuberculosis is caused by mycobacterium tuberculosis, a gram positive rod, mycobacterium tuberculosis is transmitted by shedding of the bacilli through sputum as a result of spontaneous coughing, it is usually latent infection, without cough, opportunistic infections such as AIDS will lead to chronic coughing, perforation of lung tissue with ulceration, bloody sputum.....Finally it is never genetically acquired , so from my epidemiological knowledge he may have contacted it from the father, people with tuberculosis are supposed to be quarantined to prevent spread.
i dnt think his dad has it because d mum who suffered from it is deceased nw nd its sum 9years ago dat it happened..
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 09, 2013
Ghyft: i dnt think his dad has it because d mum who suffered from it is deceased nw nd its sum 9years ago dat it happened..

the disease is highly contagious i strongly advice his entire family to visit a laboratory, it is easily spread among family because they are the ones close to the sufferer or carrier.
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by marvelling(m): 8:08pm On Oct 09, 2013
cowleg:

the disease is highly contagious i strongly advice his entire family to visit a laboratory, it is easily spread among family because they are the ones close to the sufferer or carrier.

The Dr himself! grin
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 8:46pm On Oct 09, 2013
[quote author=cowleg]

the disease is highly contagious i strongly advice his entire family to visit a laboratory, it is easily spread among family because they are the ones close to the sufferer or carrier. [/[center]quote[/center][center][/center]]even afta 9 years
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by marvelling(m): 8:53pm On Oct 09, 2013
[quote author=Ghyft][/quote]

Yes even after 9 years!
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 8:55pm On Oct 09, 2013
marvelling:

Yes even after 9 years!
if dey ave contracted dis illness,i think dey shld b aving symptoms all dis time na...or wat do u think
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by marvelling(m): 8:56pm On Oct 09, 2013
[quote author=Ghyft][/quote]

Yes even after 9 years! TB is a latent infection. The guy might have had it for years without symptoms
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by marvelling(m): 9:03pm On Oct 09, 2013
Ghyft: if dey ave contracted dis illness,i think dey shld b aving symptoms all dis time na...or wat do u think

TB can remain in the body for a long time depending on how strong the persons immune system is. If the person becomes immunocompromised, the infection will pick up from where it left off.
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 9:15pm On Oct 09, 2013
marvelling:

TB can remain in the body for a long time depending on how strong the persons immune system is. If the person becomes immunocompromised, the infection will pick up from where it left off.
hmmm.. nw i understand....i sent u a DM...hope u ave rectified d problem wit ur email
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by marvelling(m): 9:24pm On Oct 09, 2013
Ghyft: hmmm.. nw i understand....i sent u a DM...hope u ave rectified d problem wit ur email

I've replied you.
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 09, 2013
Thanks my fellow microbiologist marvelling for helping out.......... wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by marvelling(m): 8:01am On Oct 10, 2013
cowleg: Thanks my fellow microbiologist marvelling for helping out.......... wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

You're welcome grin
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 10:45am On Nov 19, 2013
What about the link on my signature
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Sirgen05(m): 11:19am On Nov 19, 2013
Ghyft: i dnt think his dad has it because d mum who suffered from it is deceased nw nd its sum 9years ago dat it happened..
Let him also screen for HIV!
Don't mean to scare him but it's very important!
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 7:05am On Nov 21, 2013
Sirgen05:
Let him also screen for HIV!
Don't mean to scare him but it's very important!
thanks a lot,dis my friend has already been diagonised wit TB nd is taking treatment nw...thanks once more
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Nobody: 8:11am On Nov 21, 2013
No, it is not.
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Quatermaine: 3:09pm On Dec 13, 2013
It's Definitely not hereditary.

Tuberculosis is an airborne disease, this implies that by just standing and talking with someone who has it can make you get the disease.

Besides, if it was really hereditary, your Modern Biology would have informed you.
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 4:41pm On Dec 13, 2013
Quatermaine: It's Definitely not hereditary.

Tuberculosis is an airborne disease, this implies that by just standing and talking with someone who has it can make you get the disease.

Besides, if it was really hereditary, your Modern Biology would have informed you.
are u saying all air borne diseases are not heriditary??
Are u saying i shouldn't go beyond modern biology or does modern biology know all
I would want to know please
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Quatermaine: 5:10pm On Dec 13, 2013
I love your fighting spirit
Ghyft: are u saying all air borne diseases are not heriditary??
To the best of my knowledge. Yes!. If you know any, you let me know.
Are u saying i shouldn't go beyond modern biology or does modern biology know all
Definitely not.. But the book dealt with hereditary disease very well..
I would want to know please
I believe I have tried.
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 14, 2013
cowleg:

+1. With TB, you usually have to spend a great deal of time with someone who has it before you actually catch it. In other words, it's easier to get it from a family member who lives in the same house as you than from a stranger you stand next to on a train. It's contagious, but it has greater chances of being transmitted via someone you live with or work with (who has it) than from a stranger.

marvelling:
Yes even after 9 years! TB is a latent infection. The guy might have had it for years without symptoms
It can be latent or active. It being latent is not really a good thing. One still needs to be watched closely to make sure the symptoms do not develop and should they develop, immediate action should ensue because tb is a silent killer. You will just go to sleep one night and not wake up the next morning. It can be treated easily, although I don't mean "easily" in terms of it being a walk through the park. To prevent latent tb from ever becoming active, patients have to be on meds for months, such as prophylaxis for 9-months; it requires a 9-month commitment. There're risks associated with the meds (e.g. liver enzymes can go up) so they have to be monitored regularly. It's up to the patient to take them or not if they're worried about the risks; it's just that when they start taking it they can't stop. It's always saddening to hear about people dying from tb in Nigeria in this day and age (especially after receiving treatment) because there're certain ways to treat it, but most of the time they receive improper treatment or they don't even have access to it.
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 10:22pm On Dec 14, 2013
Yield:
+1. With TB, you usually have to spend a great deal of time with someone who has it before you actually catch it. In other words, it's easier to get it from a family member who lives in the same house as you than from a stranger you stand next to on a train. It's contagious, but it has greater chances of being transmitted via someone you live with or work with (who has it) than from a stranger.

It can be latent or active. It being latent is not really a good thing. One still needs to be watched closely to make sure the symptoms do not develop and should they develop, immediate action should ensue because tb is a silent killer. You will just go to sleep one night and not wake up the next morning. It can be treated easily, although I don't mean "easily" in terms of it being a walk through the park. To prevent latent tb from ever becoming active, patients have to be on meds for months, such as prophylaxis for 9-months; it requires a 9-month commitment. There're risks associated with the meds (e.g. liver enzymes can go up) so they have to be monitored regularly. It's up to the patient to take them or not if they're worried about the risks; it's just that when they start taking it they can't stop. It's always saddening to hear about people dying from tb in Nigeria in this day and age (especially after receiving treatment) because there're certain ways to treat it, but most of the time they receive improper treatment or they don't even have access to it.
i see....he has TB nd i think it is d latent one sort of...it was affecting his heart already before it was diagonised to b TB...maybe he got it from his mum some ten years ago.....he's getting better though...thanks a lot my learned friend
Re: Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? by Ghyft(f): 10:24pm On Dec 14, 2013
Quatermaine: I love your fighting spirit To the best of my knowledge. Yes!. If you know any, you let me know.
Definitely not.. But the book dealt with hereditary disease very well..
I believe I have tried.
let us not push it further...thanks a bunch bro for stopping by

(1) (Reply)

Careless Doctors Slashes Babies Head During Cs, Mother Begs Fashola For Justice. / 12 Foods That Will Boost Your Immune System And Make You Healthier. / Negative Effects Of Vodka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.