Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage (12541 Views)

Oshiomhole Builds 30-feet Underground Drainage System In Benin (photos) / Flood Takes Over Major Roads In Uyo Despite Multimillion Dollar Drainage (pics) / Despite Underground Drainage, Floods Takeover Akwa Ibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Ayekotoo(m): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2013
Over 1000 residents of IwuoOkpom community in Ibeno Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom have been rendered homeless by tidal waves from the Atlantic ocean.
Speaking with newsmen yesterday, the Village Head of the area, Obong Okon Akpan Owong, said the Atlantic Ocean encroached into people’s houses when it overflowed its bank. He said that about 1,000 people have been displaced following the incident, noting that the encroachment of the Atlantic ocean has caused hardship to the community.

Akpan Owong said the shore protection contract awarded by the Federal Government to two contractors has failed as it could not check the incursion of the ocean surge.
Contract for shore protection, according to the traditional ruler was awarded in 1992, to Kris Nick, Construction Company (KNCC), and Smith Engineering in 2006 but not much was achieved.
“The contractors handling the shore protection contract in Iwuo Okpom are unable to carry out such contract satisfactorily.

“Some of the contractors after collecting mobilization fees, refuseto show up at the site,’ Akpanowong said.
Akpanowong called on the Federal Government to come to their aid, saying that socio-economic activities have been affected in the area.
Also speaking, Chief John Etim, Chairman of IwuoOkpom Village Council, said the flood has eroded several acres of land within the community describing the situation as unfortunate and appealed to the contractors handling the shore protection project to urgently revisit it.

http://leadership.ng/news/250913/ocean-wave-renders-scores-homeless-akwa-ibom

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by gtrust: 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2013
I think that church was built on natural water-way without provision for alternative route!

When they were building, did they ask the question: how will the rain-water travel

That church will wash away unless the quickly demolish some of those structures to make way for water to pass.

Don't stand against nature: nature go carry add and waka no shaking!
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by bloggernaija: 7:51pm On Sep 25, 2013
gtrust: I think that church was built on natural water-way without provision for alternative route!

When they were building, did they ask the question: how will the rain-water travel

That church will wash away unless the quickly demolish some of those structures to make way for water to pass.

AYEKOTO,you scored an own goal here?
Alternative route for the Atlantic Ocean ?
clap for yourself

6 Likes

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by gtrust: 9:23pm On Sep 25, 2013
bloggernaija:

Alternative route for the Atlantic Ocean ?
clap for yourself

You clap for yourself for building your church in the Atlantic ocean!
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by solomon111(m): 10:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
Atleast they have an underground drainage system.

1 Like

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by rozayx5(m): 10:16pm On Sep 25, 2013
misleading title by another APC goon who know nothing about Akwa Ibom terrain
undecided

when did Ibeno have an underground drainage system

APC have been looking for where to score cheap points, sorry try Abia State cause you wont see any here

19 Likes

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by tsomething: 10:19pm On Sep 25, 2013
Rubbish journalism ! Where was the underground drainage built and where is this flood reported to have happened? I was expecting to read a story of how areas in uyo where the drainage system was built to complain of flood only to see Ibeno and the story says the flood isn't even as a result of rains but Ocean surge. msheeeew

6 Likes

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by hopilo: 12:24am On Sep 26, 2013
If Victoria Island that is not as close to the ocean as Ibeno is can experience overflow of water from ocean surge, how much more Ibeno that is on the ocean line. This guy knows nothing about Akwa Ibom and is completely ignorant of drainage system.

3 Likes

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 26, 2013
Another APC :Vs: Akwa Ibom state govt thread..

1 Like

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by ritux: 1:44pm On Sep 26, 2013
This is rubbish. Op why don't you show us other pictures? Does that picture make up the entire Akwa Ibom state?
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Fazhy: 1:50pm On Sep 26, 2013
I hope there won't be crocodiles in that water. may be I watched too many movies. undecided

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Teotihuacan: 1:50pm On Sep 26, 2013
APC things.......
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Summersland(m): 1:51pm On Sep 26, 2013
Stop making noise here,talk 2 ur government or state govt ok grin grin
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Kairoseki77: 1:51pm On Sep 26, 2013
t-something:
Rubbish journalism ! Where was the underground drainage built and where is this flood reported to have happened? I was expecting to read a story of how areas in uyo where the drainage system was built to complain of flood only to see Ibeno and the story says the flood isn't even as a result of rains but Ocean surge. msheeeew

Why does it matter if the flood is a result of rain or an ocean surge?

Jesus, Akwa Ibom is flooded and you paranoid boot lickers are having a heart attack. I promise you that APC did not cause this flood, so calm down.

1 Like

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by aj1802001: 1:51pm On Sep 26, 2013
the pictures are from a community in Ibeno LGA which is far from where the drainage was constructed which is Uyo Town. Am really disappointed with the way people report issues in a haphazard way just to score cheap points. Very misleading headline.

2 Likes

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by fitzmayowa: 1:53pm On Sep 26, 2013
Akpabio is working...Akwa ibom is sinking

SMH
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Kairoseki77: 1:54pm On Sep 26, 2013
rozayx5: misleading title by another APC goon who know nothing about Akwa Ibom terrain
undecided

APC have been looking for where to score cheap points, sorry try Abia State cause you wont see any here

okpara ugo: Another APC :Vs: Akwa Ibom state govt thread..

ritux: This is rubbish. Op why don't you show us other pictures? Does that picture make up the entire Akwa Ibom state?

Teotihuacan: APC things.......

Summersland: Stop making noise here,talk 2 ur government or state govt ok grin grin

You think the flood is political? If there is a flood in Igboland, the news shouldn't cover it? Are you jokers slow?

You need to stop smoking those Igbo wraps! It's making you crazy and paranoid.

Cheap political points! What is the political problem with flooding? Do you think someone is going to blame Akpabio because there is a flood? Mtcheew! You think bad weather is caused by corruption, abi? You feeling guilty for something?

Here is NYC suffering from flooding. They have advanced drainage all over. They still have floods. Guess what, no one cares. Maybe you bootlickers are just feeling guilty for trying to blame SW governors for flooding that they cannot control? Hmmm..

I guess all those times we've seen pictures of flooding in Lagos on NL were just GEJ's boys trying to score "cheap political point". Thanks for letting us know! grin

Can I quote you next time their is a flood in Lagos and you are raining abuses on Fashola?

You know...up to this point, I always thought natural disasters were covered in the news for important reason like informing the public, and maybe because sensational stories are popular. But now that we all know that flooding is political, I will have to watch and see which party God supports. I guess flood in Akwa Ibom means God is voting APC in 2015! shocked Akpabio better repent o!

Ori e ti daru patapata o!

4 Likes

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 26, 2013
gtrust: I think that church was built on natural water-way without provision for alternative route!

And who told you that they want water to pass grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by dridowu: 2:02pm On Sep 26, 2013
rozayx5: misleading title by another APC goon who know nothing about Akwa Ibom terrain
undecided

guy dats politics 4 u, even dat sincere 9jaria man do it. Every one create topic that will favour them, may be dos mod will change d topic later in d day
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Kairoseki77: 2:04pm On Sep 26, 2013
dridowu: guy dats politics 4 u, even dat sincere 9jaria man do it. Every one create topic that will favour them, may be dos mod will change d topic later in d day

Still waiting for someone to explain how a flood is political.

Maybe you are just PARANOID? shocked

You know...when floods happen, they are USUALLY put in the news. I don't know, maybe they only put this flood in the news for political purposes. grin

Maybe the weather is a member of the opposition. grin grin grin

You jokers need to take a vacation. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Jakeattah(m): 2:04pm On Sep 26, 2013
Naija!!! Things lyk this are hapening and all our leaders can think of is 2015... Smh
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 26, 2013
This op is a f.ucktard.I almost lmho.
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 26, 2013
This op is a f.ucktard.I almost lmao.
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Systeme101: 2:09pm On Sep 26, 2013
d guy who posted dis topic is a foolish ingrate...ws d drainage constructed in ibeno LGA?... Must u criticise everyting?

1 Like

Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 26, 2013
Flood takesover akwa ibom,like say d flood cover evrytin 4 akwa ibom.Inofitlaugh.
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 26, 2013
Look at the left of the church, there is high dry ground. I think it why the building was built.
E be like sey stupid people (including Mods) done overtake nairaland, na so so stupid, fake news then move go FP esp about east
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Spiff20(m): 2:13pm On Sep 26, 2013
aj1802001: the pictures are from a community in Ibeno LGA which is far from where the drainage was constructed which is Uyo Town. Am really disappointed with the way people report issues in a haphazard way just to score cheap points. Very misleading headline.
so after all the uncommon transformation uyo has not attained the level of a city, still remains a town. Smh..
Re: Floods Takeover Akwa-Ibom, Despite Underground Drainage by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 26, 2013
Am sure they will find a way to survive like their fathers and fore-fathers did

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano PDP Primaries: Takia Wins As Abacha’s Son Withdraws / Response To Pa Edwin Clark On Rivers State, Delta State And / Thousands Of Igbo,ijaws Efiks Etc , Have Begun Arriving Washington DC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.