Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion (1208 Views)

5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix / Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? / Homosexuality And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by plaetton: 5:02pm On Sep 25, 2013
There is almost no single day that someone does not come to persuade me to accept Jesus into my life ,.. and other blah blah blah.
I usually sit back and calmly asks them "what exactly for"?, and keep asking that same question to every new reason they offer.
Then at the end, I would ask them, " why would I want to burden my life with all that?"

The question is why would I want to give up the peace and harmony that I have for the conflict and despair of blind faith religion?

Is religious faith supposed to give me enduring hope, enduring peace or enduring despair?

With all the religious-inspired problems in the world, from Boko Haram, to sectarian violence in Iraq, Pakistan, Egypt, Afghanistan, Syria , and the upsurge in Islamo-Terrorism in Somali, Mali and Now Kenya. from Catholic pedophile mafia priests to Pentecostal fraudsters in Nigeria and elsewhere, the human landscape overflows with the negative excesses of blind faith religion.

When will humanity call a spade a spade to denounce , or at least acknowledge, the debilitating effects of blind faith on the human psyche?
In the West, they have done a great job of saving their future generations from the poisonous stench of religion by deleting religious indoctrination from their public educational systems.
But unfortunately, as is always the case, the religious poisons of others are still a grave threat to the peace and harmony of modern society.

I am inviting all advocates of any of these Abrahamic religions to discuss how we can reap the promises of enduring hope, peace and harmony, rather than chaos, the blood-thirst and despair that we are presently getting from the purveyors and consumers of blind faith religions.

Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Ajibam: 5:34pm On Sep 25, 2013
am not among any abrahamic religion
believe me,without religion there will still be terrorism.
CHRISTIANITY offers you everlasting peace if you persevere till the end.
challenges will always come your way,religion causes chaos because of the non-united religion in the world,but a way of life won't lead to chaos,a lifestyle of Christlike behavior will surely gives you eternal joy....
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by plaetton: 5:36pm On Sep 25, 2013
Ajibam: am not among any abrahamic religion
challenges will always come your way,religion causes chaos because of the non-united religion in the world,but a way of life won't lead to chaos,a lifestyle of Christlike behavior will surely gives you eternal joy....

I understand what you are saying, but believe me, every muslim that I know say exactly the same thing about their religion.

So, is it a matter of "my religion is better than the other religions", or is that particular frame of mind the real problem?
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Ajibam: 6:04pm On Sep 25, 2013
plaetton:

I understand what you are saying, but believe me, every muslim that I know say exactly the same thing about their religion.

So, is it a matter of "my religion is better than the other religions", or is that particular frame of mind the real problem?
the frame of mind is the problem, a Muslim will think in his heart that only his religion is right and others are pagans..
with that thought, if he sees another religionist, he can raze him down
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 25, 2013
Ajibam: am not among any abrahamic religion

The first sentence shows that you are unable to discuss religion intelligently.

How can a christian claim that he is not part of an Abrahamic religion.
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by tobechi20(m): 6:45pm On Sep 25, 2013
[quote author=Ajibam]am not among any abrahamic religion
challenges will always come your way,religion causes chaos because of the non-united religion in the world,

christianity dont bring peace.Jesus said " i have come for war, father against son"

1 Like

Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by MrTroll(m): 6:53pm On Sep 25, 2013
Ajibam:
the frame of mind is the problem, a Muslim will think in his heart that only his religion is right and others are pagans..
with that thought, if he sees another religionist, he can raze him down
Really? undecided

this is the best you can come up with?
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by tobechi20(m): 6:59pm On Sep 25, 2013
It is Better never than toomuch
better not to be invollved in religion than to be over religious extrimist.

Be involved in humanitarian goodwill,it is more christlike than . occuppying ones mind with some religion practices.

However, faith alone cant save. Works alone cant save. But works surpases faith

1 Like

Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by RayMcBlue(m): 7:09pm On Sep 25, 2013
Ajibam:
if if sees another religionist, he can RAZE him down

LMAO at the absurdity of this particular sentence, especially the Raze part.grin grin
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Ajibam: 7:26pm On Sep 25, 2013
Logicboy03:

The first sentence shows that you are unable to discuss religion intelligently.

How can a christian claim that he is not part of an Abrahamic religion.
am not under any religion, am a Christlike fellow, my CHRISTIANITY is not a religion but a lifestyle of CHRIST
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Ajibam: 7:29pm On Sep 25, 2013
[quote author=tobechi20][/quote]
indeed,he loves you
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 25, 2013
Ajibam:
am not under any religion, am a Christlike fellow, my CHRISTIANITY is not a religion but a lifestyle of CHRIST

Umum
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by MrTroll(m): 7:57pm On Sep 25, 2013
@Ajibam, can you define religion for us here? Pls do that so we will be clear on what we are dealing with. This claim of Christianity not being a religion needs to be debunked once and for all. I'm waiting. . .

4 Likes

Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by mazaje(m): 8:16pm On Sep 25, 2013
Mr Troll: @Ajibam, can you define religion for us here? Pls do that so we will be clear on what we are dealing with. This claim of Christianity not being a religion needs to be debunked once and for all. I'm waiting. . .

Seconded. . .
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by RationalDude(m): 8:17pm On Sep 25, 2013
The fear of death is one of the major reasons why man can't do without religion. All religion(s) promise some type of afterlife. Humans just don't want to accept that this life is all we got (Even I am guilty of this). We want to live forever in blissful paradise and religion offers this hope.
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by plaetton: 8:18pm On Sep 25, 2013
Mr Troll: @Ajibam, can you define religion for us here? Pls do that so we will be clear on what we are dealing with. This claim of Christianity not being a religion needs to be debunked once and for all. I'm waiting. . .

It is becoming an interesting trend that the best way to defend a religion these days is to deny that it is a religion.
By denying it though, it is a tacit acknowledgement that religion carries a negative connotation and is therefore, neither desirable nor good.

3 Likes

Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:01pm On Sep 25, 2013
Ajibam:

Your CHRISTIANITY is a religion and a lifestyle of PAUL founded by the CHURCH
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 25, 2013
plaetton:
I am inviting all advocates of any of these Abrahamic religions to discuss how we can reap the promises of enduring hope, peace and harmony, rather than chaos, the blood-thirst and despair that we are presently getting from the purveyors and consumers of blind faith religions.
Religion is never the factor that brought war,terrorism,fanaticsm and/or Global disorder Infact, The Philosophy brought by Religion has been the first and earliest motivation of peace treatise among nations which are always in Tribulation and Discriminaion but Religion has been used to prosecute war due to intolerance and fanaticism as well as my ''Religion is holier than yours political/diplomatic chants'' !!!

At one time in the History of nations in the world,they have known WAR,CONFLICT,BLOOD,Destruction as well as Plague among other catastrophe all these happens Without Religion but struggle for freedom and survival !!!

Among this many nations The philosophy provided by Religion has fostered means for nations,culture and races to embrace and see one another as brothers and equal thus providing solutions to war,bloodshed and dsiscriminations !!!

It is worthy of being noted that Mephistophelean elements through history has hijacked Religion Philosophy,digested them and deviated from a manual which is meant to ensure sanity and decorum in our world to a war,political and Business tool

The error is not Religion but we Human that are everyly diplomatic,cunny, and non-satisfactory !!!

We should blame HUMAN, INTERMS OF ERROR,INSATIATENESS AND MYOPIA NOT RELIGION !!!
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 25, 2013
Which has claimed more lives? Religious wars or sovereign/political wars? In answer to OP's question, I think it is an enduring hope. We all need some form of anchor and for many people on this planet, faith/religion is the only tool capable of providing just that.
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 27, 2013
Ajibam:

really? am sure the pastor who told you this is moving around in his private jet.

1 Like

Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by RayMcBlue(m): 12:33pm On Sep 27, 2013
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for lifetime, give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.grin

1 Like

Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 27, 2013

To be frank, christainity is a form of religion..we all know that deep down our hearts.
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by MrTroll(m): 6:44pm On Sep 27, 2013
joel lala:

To be frank, christainity is a form of religion..we all know that deep down our hearts.
Thank you. Pls tell it to your fellow brethren. This their claim is irksome.

If anything, it is Islam that can be argued to be both a religion and a way of life. . .
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by UyiIredia(m): 8:43pm On Sep 27, 2013
Mark this. The greatest naivete atheists in the possible future of widespread atheism must come to terms with is how their ancestors associated most of mankind's problem with religion and mankind's progress with science. The reason is simple, lack of religion does not preclude evil, nay, not even even of the religious kind because as some have rightly noted, the concept of the will of God has been a powerful tool of control of the people.
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by UyiIredia(m): 8:44pm On Sep 27, 2013
Dammit, errors again !
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Kay17: 9:05pm On Sep 27, 2013
Archaeologists generally believe religions promoted settled lifestyles and in turn civilization. The towers of Sumeria, the pyramids of Egypt have been inspired by religious thoughts.

I define religion as a subculture of thought.

Of course religion seems to cause war and conflicts, however it isn't religion per se, but rigid narrow mindedness. A refusal to view the world through multiple standpoints. Ppl like Olaadegu.
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by MrTroll(m): 9:20pm On Sep 27, 2013
I have no problem with religion as a concept, but the problem is that every religion claims to be the only correct one. Their adherents will find no problem pronouncing others doomed for all eternity based on their own dogma. If only people will be brave enough to accept that their religion only serves to give them a source of hope and comfort in trying times we will all live in peace and nobody will harm his fellow man because he thinks he's doing his god a favour.
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Nobody: 5:02am On Sep 28, 2013
Kay 17: Archaeologists generally believe religions promoted settled lifestyles and in turn civilization. The towers of Sumeria, the pyramids of Egypt have been inspired by religious thoughts.

I define religion as a subculture of thought.

Of course religion seems to cause war and conflicts, however it isn't religion per se, but rigid narrow mindedness. A refusal to view the world through multiple standpoints. Ppl like Olaadegu.

Religion has little to do with civilization.

A road is built to travel from one place to the other
A house is built for shelter
A monument is built to glorify a specific thing.

Fact remains that religion takes credit for things which should be normal thoughts. eg morality.
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Nobody: 5:03am On Sep 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Mark this. The greatest naivete atheists in the possible future of widespread atheism must come to terms with is how their ancestors associated most of mankind's problem with religion and mankind's progress with science. The reason is simple, lack of religion does not preclude evil, nay, not even even of the religious kind because as some have rightly noted, the concept of the will of God has been a powerful tool of control of the people.

Please, can someone translate this? I dont speak bullsheet- it is a very difficult language to understand cheesy
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Kay17: 4:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

Religion has little to do with civilization.

A road is built to travel from one place to the other
A house is built for shelter
A monument is built to glorify a specific thing.

Fact remains that religion takes credit for things which should be normal thoughts. eg morality.

I doubt if civilizations are about a solitary road or a house

Rather you have to explain culture, elaborate mythologies and structures and their laws and philosophy of the community..
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 28, 2013
Kay 17:

I doubt if civilizations are about a solitary road or a house

Rather you have to explain culture, elaborate mythologies and structures and their laws and philosophy of the community..

In summary, you would have no point if my last comment was in plurals?
Re: Man And Religion: Enduring Hope Or Despair? Lets Have An Honest Discussion by plaetton: 7:02am On Nov 17, 2013
Bump

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Visit To Chris Okotie's Church: / Prophetic Ministry In Nigeria / 7 Things You Should Never Get Farmiliar With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.