Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni (42698 Views)

Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo) / See How Aguiyi Ironsi Was Murdered In Cold Blood. (viewers Discretion Advised). / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by madamoringo(f): 2:53pm On Sep 28, 2013
DerideGull:

Mad woman_oringogoro

You sounded like a hospitalized loony. I am not a soothsayer but I sense ignoramus from afar. In your previous though moronic post, you hinted about Igbo carrying a self-serving revolution to colonize the resources of the nation. May I ask you if the aforementioned resources of nation Ndigbo attempted to colonize located in western, northern or midwestern region?

I don't have time for an expired product like you! Does it matter where the resources are if you could colonize the leadership of the country by aligning with the seemingly less educated northerners not knowing that they had a civilization hundreds of years above the western education ibos only began to acquire in the 1900s! In any case, colonization of national leadership was one resource - you failed at it! Next, you tried to colonize the oil fields of the Niger Delta, you were brutally made to vomit it like a thief vomits a stolen piece of hot yam. Next, you looked West and in an attempt to march on it, you were stopped violently at the borders of Ore. This is the story of the Ibos and the only people you have never tried to colonize are people who have nothing to offer! Unfortunately, every part of Nigeria has some resource and that is why the country will defend itself to the very last man and last animal in order for the country to have every part look inwards to its land people.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by DerideGull(m): 3:12pm On Sep 28, 2013
madam_oringo:

I don't have time for an expired product like you! Does it matter where the resources are if you could colonize the leadership of the country by aligning with the seemingly less educated northerners not knowing that they had a civilization hundreds of years above the western education ibos only began to acquire in the 1900s! In any case, colonization of national leadership was one resource - you failed at it! Next, you tried to colonize the oil fields of the Niger Delta, you were brutally made to vomit it like a thief vomits a stolen piece of hot yam. Next, you looked West and in an attempt to march on it, you were stopped violently at the borders of Ore. This is the story of the Ibos and the only people you have never tried to colonize are people who have nothing to offer! Unfortunately, every part of Nigeria has some resource and that is why the country will defend itself to the very last man and last animal in order for the country to have every part look inwards to its land people.

Mad woman_oringogoro

Please do not prove to me that foolishness is inherent. During era in discussion in Nigeria, most vacuous vassals such as you spoke about regional resources and even boasted that certain products had given rise to regional development. However, it suddenly became national resource when the hat is worn on the other side of head. I am not surprise you vomited the above crap because traitors are worse than rubbers.

6 Likes

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 28, 2013
slimghost:
And you believed that nonsense? We are dealing with facts here and not hearsay! I have 3 things to say here.
1. Nzeogwu's was truly motivated by a real urge to purge the nation of tribal and corrupt leaders(both military and civilian)
2.I blame Ifeajuna and co for not finishing their own mission in the east.
3. We as a nation have not learned from our history.
4. The idots (APC and co) calling for revolution and whatnot are on their own because nobody will take the bull by the horn this time. Igbos have learned to keep quiet and observe less we be accused of another biased revolution.If the yorubas are tired of how Nigeria is, let them do what they can. But one thing is sure, GEJ will still be here till 2019! One Nigeria! (At least until we are honestly tired of the hellhole)
Lol @ "Igbos minding their business". U guys just like deceiving urselves it's just laughable now. If all that Igbos do when it comes to National affairs is "minding their business" I'd love to see what they'll do when they butt in everyone else's.

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by ojay0203: 3:43pm On Sep 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
So you think the first military coup was "Igbo coup"?

I cannot shy away from saying the TRUTH.
For further information :
Here's what they will never tell us: Non-Igbo participants of January 15, 1966 Coup de'tat --- Major W. Ademoyega (West), Captain G. Adeleke(West), Lt. F. Oyewole(West), 2Lt. R. Egbikor(Mid-West) 2Lt. T. Katsina(North), 2Lt. O. Olafemihon(West), Capt. G. Jalo(North), Capt. J. Swanton(North), Lt. D. Waribor(Eastern Minority), 2Lt. H.E. Eghagha(Mid-West), 2Lt. Dambo(North) and 2Lt. J. A. Kpera(North. One can as well argue that the main leaders of the coup majors Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna and some others were from the then mid west!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by DerideGull(m): 4:11pm On Sep 28, 2013
ojay0203:
Here's what they will never tell us: Non-Igbo participants of January 15, 1966 Coup de'tat --- Major W. Ademoyega (West), Captain G. Adeleke(West), Lt. F. Oyewole(West), 2Lt. R. Egbikor(Mid-West) 2Lt. T. Katsina(North), 2Lt. O. Olafemihon(West), Capt. G. Jalo(North), Capt. J. Swanton(North), Lt. D. Waribor(Eastern Minority), 2Lt. H.E. Eghagha(Mid-West), 2Lt. Dambo(North) and 2Lt. J. A. Kpera(North. One can as well argue that the main leaders of the coup majors Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna and some others were from the then mid west!

We are dealing with bunch of inherent traitors.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by ojay0203: 4:58pm On Sep 28, 2013
DerideGull:

We are dealing with bunch of inherent traitors.
They twisted the story to fit their ambitions. They labelled an Ojukwu an ambitious warlord, who decided to lead a secession of the Igbos because they have oil reserves. In the process they covered the main reason that led Ojukwu to defend the Igbos. What happened to the Aburi accord? Can Gowon tell the truth? It's a shame that these same individuals are now statesmen. In reasonable countries, coup plotters and former dictators can never come out to be power players, when they should be cooling off in jails for their crime against humanity and democracy. These are the people that planted indiscipline in the army, which led to subsequent coups. If Gowon had not taken over and allowed the next in command to Ironsi to be in charge, justice would have been served. We could have been talking about a people with the nation in mind. From that moment in 1966 Nigeria became a country built on greed and injustice. That is why we have what we have today. We now have people who are more from their tribe and not from Nigeria. You can hardly find a Nigerian now. Every ethnic group wants to produce the next president qualified or not. Merit is no more the bases. Every body claims to be marginalized. At the end of the day the nationhood is marginalized. I weep!
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by slimghost(m): 7:58pm On Sep 28, 2013
madam_oringo:

You said 3 things but listed 4, are you that stupid?? tongue angry In any case, you must be a little kid still counting 1 - 10 on your fingers. Revolution is not when an idi.ot carries a cutlass to fight a war. Ibos were not in any way carrying out a revolution but a self-serving deed to colonize the resources of the nation for themselves. The history of Azikiwe and ibos shortly before then showed that Zik preferred to less educated, less exposed Northerners they could pull wool over their eyes at that time rather than Chief Awolowo, his lieutenants and Yorubas who were far ahead and visionaries as they would show in less than 10 years taking the entire Western Nigeria to a level no region has approached till today.

Revolution does not mean carrying weapons. Revolution can be silent, can be by superior thinking, intense development, a break from the old order that has not yielded people anything. How about first developing the economy of your states and regions so much that it cannot be ignored and I am not even talking about oil? Anambra is still a poor state with an IGR of 450 M while Osun State is at 1.6 B, Ogun at 4 B while Imo and Abia is struggling around the 1 B mark while Lagos is besting you all at 27 B! Wait until a few more years when the SW's investments, unparalleled administration and superior planning reaches that threshold when the economy begins to boom and they have integrated their region even more. You will still be here crying about revolution and what happened years before you were born. I think some of you suffered a head crash immediately you were born!
What crap is this? This is what too much Amala does to the brain!
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by talktimi(m): 9:25pm On Sep 28, 2013
ojay0203:
They twisted the story to fit their ambitions. They labelled an Ojukwu an ambitious warlord, who decided to lead a secession of the Igbos because they have oil reserves. In the process they covered the main reason that led Ojukwu to defend the Igbos. What happened to the Aburi accord? Can Gowon tell the truth? It's a shame that these same individuals are now statesmen. In reasonable countries, coup plotters and former dictators can never come out to be power players, when they should be cooling off in jails for their crime against humanity and democracy. These are the people that planted indiscipline in the army, which led to subsequent coups. If Gowon had not taken over and allowed the next in command to Ironsi to be in charge, justice would have been served. We could have been talking about a people with the nation in mind. From that moment in 1966 Nigeria became a country built on greed and injustice. That is why we have what we have today. We now have people who are more from their tribe and not from Nigeria. You can hardly find a Nigerian now. Every ethnic group wants to produce the next president qualified or not. Merit is no more the bases. Every body claims to be marginalized. At the end of the day the nationhood is marginalized. I weep!
truth is Ojukwu decided to secede because of the progrom going on especially in the northern part of Nigeria ie the mass killing of igbos in a genocidal fashion. Many at times, people on nairaland dont take Musiwa seriously but he actually mixes his craziness with valid truth. The eastern region as well as ANY other region in Nigeria then had a right to pull out of this nation if the terms of unity were no longer conducive. Gowon knows Ojukwu had the right and the Aburi conference in Ethiopia further legalized Ojukwu's stance as the ibos were being killed in droves, many selected from trains and lorries whilst escaping only to be shot by northern soldiers. These facts are documented, its not as if im just whipping up sentiments & the crux of the matter is, the original coup plotters did not carry out their original plan to the letter which involved killing ALL the top regional politicians. Ok
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:07am On Sep 29, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Those misguided 5 majors rose to save the country in reaction to the NOISE (operation wetie, et al) from elements in the southwest. Because the coup/revolution was not successful, history has been turned on its head and the first military coup now termed "Igbo coup".

Can anyone tell the DIFFERENCE between the NOISE of those days and the NOISE of today from elements (Tinubu rats) from the SAME region? This time, when they get tired of making NOISE, they'll shut their dirty buccal cavities. Yeye dey smell!

The coup was termed an Igbo coup because the planners were overwhelmingly Igbo and the victims were overwhelmingly everyone but Igbo. The disturbances in the West were orchestrated by Zik and Okpara who wanted to rule the Western region by all means. They supported Akintola to gain power and were devastated when Akintola chose to align with NPC directly. If outsiders didn't meddle in the affairs of the Western region, there would have been no operation wetie.

Second, the coup was an attempt at power grabbing. No matter how much you try to deflect the reasons for the coup, anybody with half a brain knows it was a power grab by Zik.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:14am On Sep 29, 2013
slimghost:
And you believed that nonsense? We are dealing with facts here and not hearsay! I have 3 things to say here.
1. Nzeogwu's was truly motivated by a real urge to purge the nation of tribal and corrupt leaders(both military and civilian)
2.I blame Ifeajuna and co for not finishing their own mission in the east.
3. We as a nation have not learned from our history.
4. The idots (APC and co) calling for revolution and whatnot are on their own because nobody will take the bull by the horn this time. Igbos have learned to keep quiet and observe less we be accused of another biased revolution.If the yorubas are tired of how Nigeria is, let them do what they can. But one thing is sure, GEJ will still be here till 2019! One Nigeria! (At least until we are honestly tired of the hellhole)

There was no operation in the East. When Ifeajuna knew the coup had failed and proceeded to escape, he still shot Balewa. The same Ifeajuna proceeded to Michael Okpara's house in Enugu where he had Tea (he briefed Okpara on how the coup transpired) before escaping to Ghana. Why didn't he kill Okpara? Why did he need to go to Enugu before escaping to Ghana? Is Lagos not closer to Ghana than Enugu? Ifeajuna simply went to seek assistance of those that sent him to execute the coup.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:21am On Sep 29, 2013
slimghost:
I don't know if you have comprehension issues oga. I said I BLAME Ifeajuna and co sparing the lives of Michael Okpara and co. You think it was an Igbo coup and a yoruba Major was among the 5 majors?. It was just a matter of gross incompetence,sabotage and indiscipline on the side of the officers sent to take care of business in the east.if you know my people very well, then you would understand that we are not power crazy. We can achieve all we want individually and collectively as a group without your mantle of power! Truth is, my people have learned their lessons. You wonder why there was no protest in the southeast during the subsidy issue?. When its time for a SNC, we shall say our bit but for now, let the revolution mongers do it alone!

Those officers that were incompetent in killing Ironsi, Okpara, Nwafor Orizu, etc suddenly became Navy Seal team 6 like when killing Balewa, Bello Akintola, Sodeinde (shooting his pregnant wife), Ademulegun and his pregnant wife, Maimalari, Largema, Kur Mohammed, James Pam, etc.

Nzeogwu was recruited around October 1965 and Nzeogwu in turn recruited Ademoyega in November 1966. They sold a dummy to Ademoyega that they were sending officers to the East to kill Okpara and others. The Lieutenant never left Lagos and were there no Igbo ministers in Lagos?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:26am On Sep 29, 2013
slimghost:
You can twist this all you want but am not here to argue back and forth wth you. If you are a man of intergrity and honesty, I guess you would know the truth deep diwn you but professing it might be a different ball game. Mind you, some of the coup plotters made it known that they intended to make Awolowo the president although we can never know the truth now. Anyway, I know your type, when it suits you Igbos should not have anything in common with the SS but when it suits you again, you call Nzeogwu, a SS man an igboman. Yes we accept he is igbo but let his cause be a lesson for us all, only that this time around, we are waiting for another "nzeogwu" from yorubaland! But do you guys have the balls? Enough of the noise already and off with the revolution!

Please stop regurgitating that rubbish. After an event has passed, anyone can claim that his intentions were different from that betrayed by his actions. Zik would plan a coup with his cousin Ifeajuna and Ifeajuna would make Awolowo president? Even 10 year olds will not accept such moronic logic. Was it not Zik and Bello that jailed Awo in the first place?

Second, what constitutional provision would the plotters have relied on to make Awo president? Or was Awo in the military that Awo could have relied on the gun to rule?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:42am On Sep 29, 2013
ojay0203:

Do you know the greatest irony about the civil war? Each region voted for its premier. After the failed coup executed by Igbo officers, the nascent Republic was brought to a halt and military administrators were appointed for each region. After the accord in Aburi, Gowon promulgated decree 8 to implement the provisions agreed at Aburi except for the demand that the military president couldn't fire and hire administrators of the regions. Plain and simple, Ojukwu knew that Gowon had the power to replace him once everything had died down. If Gowon replaced Ojukwu, wouldn't he have replaced him with another Eastern officer such as Njoku, Bassey, etc (incidentally both were senior to Ojukwu)?

Ojukwu stuck to his guns on that issue. Even the Americans and Brits believed that Gowon had gone far enough to implement the Aburi agreements. The Biafrans went to war because of the ambition of one man. It is time for you Biafrans to conduct proper research and logical analyses. If you disagree, go and compare the agreements at Aburi with decree 8 1967.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:47am On Sep 29, 2013
ojay0203:

Most of those listed did not know they were taking part in a coup. Nzeogwu for instance told his troops they were going for a training exercise. The same Nzeogwu killed Sgt Oyegoke who refused to shell Bello's house. It is only in Nigeria where junior soldiers are punished for following the commands of a superior who has fallen out with the military high command. Besides, most of those listed were freed after the special branch investigation was concluded.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 1:02am On Sep 29, 2013
ojay0203:

Nice logic but why did Nwafor Orizu not swear in Dipcharima who was the individual selected by NPC, the party that lost the prime minister? Why did Orizu prefer to hand over to Ironsi? We deduce that because Ironsi was Igbo and to ensure that the objective of the failed coup was accomplished. Why should the death of two ministers (Balewa and Okotie Eboh) result in the death of democracy? Are Prime ministers not replaced regularly? Did Jonathan not sack about 9 ministers the other day? Did Nigeria collapse?

Nigeria became a country built on greed on injustice because

1. Igbo officers killed everyone else but their own

2. Orizu refused to swear in the individual nominated by the ruling party

3. Ironsi promulgated decree 34 which divided Nigeria into 35 provinces and made all civil servants part of a unified civil service despite being advised not to do so by Katsina, Gowon, Bassey, and Kam Salem. The day after the promulgation of decree 34, Lt. Col.Ojukwu publicly announced in Enugu that on the basis of seniority, Igbo civil servants would be transferred to other regions and Lagos.

4. Ironsi abolished the compulsory Hausa test for civil service positions in the North, meaning that non-Hausa speaking people could take positions in the North.

5. Ironsi’s advisory team comprised Francis Nwokedi, Pius Okigbo, and Lt. Colonel Patrick Anwunah (all Igbos)

6. Ironsi made Nwokedi the sole commissioner forthe establishment of an administrative machinery for a unified Nigeria

Analyse the issue dispassionately and not through the normal 'every other group is bad and evil while Igbo is innocent'. The Igbo attempted a power grab and failed. Isn't it an irony that the Igbo aligned with the North to form the first government but the Igbos then think all the problems in the first republic were caused by others but not Igbos. If the first government was corrupt and didn't rely on merit, are the Igbos not guilty of the crimes as well?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by naijaking1: 1:42am On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

There was no operation in the East. When Ifeajuna knew the coup had failed and proceeded to escape, he still shot Balewa. The same Ifeajuna proceeded to Michael Okpara's house in Enugu where he had Tea (he briefed Okpara on how the coup transpired) before escaping to Ghana. Why didn't he kill Okpara? Why did he need to go to Enugu before escaping to Ghana? Is Lagos not closer to Ghana than Enugu? Okpara simply went to seek assistance of those that sent him to execute the coup.

Not so fast, not so accurate. Everybody knows that Okpara escaped because he was hosting the archbishop of Cyprus. Conjecture, conjecture, and more conjectures, without any proof. While it good for the beer parlour and to vent pent-up anger is not scientific enough t make the sort of sweeping conclusion you have always drawn. You of all people knows better.

3 Likes

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 2:08am On Sep 29, 2013
naijaking1:

Not so fast, not so accurate. Everybody knows that Okpara escaped because he was hosting the archbishop of Cyprus. Conjecture, conjecture, and more conjectures, without any proof. While it good for the beer parlour and to vent pent-up anger is not scientific enough t make the sort of sweeping conclusion you have always drawn. You of all people knows better.

And the archbishop of Cyprus is superman? He can stop a speeding bullet?

Did Ifeajuna also have tea with Okpara because the Archbishop was present?

If Ademulegun can be killed with his pregnant wife and Bello can be dragged from his wives and shot, why can't Okpara be dragged from the presence of the ArchBishop and shot as well? Or were they trying to conceal their identities? grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by naijaking1: 2:37am On Sep 29, 2013
Another beer parlour rant without due consideration to the many books, personal accounts, and established articles written on these events.
All these have been to justify the wholesome massacre of every available easterner at the period. Can you talk about eastern officers killed too? No question, more Igbo officers were involved in the first coup, but this attempt to link every Igbo to the act would have been like going after every Yoruba for what Awo did to Igbos. It is wrong and unscientific.

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 2:47am On Sep 29, 2013
naijaking1: Another beer parlour rant without due consideration to the many books, personal accounts, and established articles written on these events.
All these have been to justify the wholesome massacre of every available easterner at the period. Can you talk about eastern officers killed too? No question, more Igbo officers were involved in the first coup, but this attempt to link every Igbo to the act would have been like going after every Yoruba for what Awo did to Igbos. It is wrong and unscientific.

Why not mention these books and accounts?

And I didn't link every Igbo to the actions of the plotters. I merely identified the principal actors.

Which Eastern officers were killed? Unegbe was killed but no one can explain why he was killed; it has been alleged that someone used the coup to settle a score with him. This is the most plausible reason which is made stronger by the murder of Largema. Largema was the CO of the 4th Battalion in Ibadan. He had come down for the party hosted by Maimalari in Lagos. He was staying at Ikoyi hotel on the night of the coup. Despite being away from his troops, he was killed in the hotel by Ifeajuna. There was no strategic advantage to be gained in killing a man who was removed from his troops, while he was sleeping when there were more senior commanders in Lagos. Why did they go for Largema before going for Ironsi, who was the GOC? Ironsi was in a better position to stop the coup but Ifeajuna preferred to kill a man who was asleep, removed from his troops, and more junior to others.

Edit

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 3:02am On Sep 29, 2013
naijaking1: Another beer parlour rant without due consideration to the many books, personal accounts, and established articles written on these events.

Here is an excerpt from the Special Branch investigation. Please provide your own sources/books/articles.

Special Branch Report: Military Rebellion of January 1966

71. When Major Ifeajuna and party returned to the Federal Guards Officers' Mess he learnt that the GOC was in town and was organizing 2nd Battalion NA at Ikeja to attack the rebels. He was then joined by Major Okafor and they drove off together in Major Ifeajuna's car.

At the Yaba Military Hospital they dropped 2/Lt Ezedigbo who had been wounded in the encounter with Brigadier Mai-Malari. The time was about 0400 hrs. Major Ifeajuna drove away on to the Abeokuta road. On the way they stopped and Ifeajuna asked the PM out of the car whence he shot and killed him. When he and Okafor became certain that the PM was dead they left the body in the bush at a point beyond Otta on the Lagos to Abeokuta road. They then opened the boot of the car and dropped the body of Lt. Col. Largema near that of the PM.

They then drove on to Abeokuta. On the way after Abeokuta two other soldiers in the car were dropped and told to find their way back to Lagos [b]whilst Ifeajuna and Okafor proceeded to Enugu. They arrived Enugu at about 1415 hours and proceeded to the Premier's Lodge where they held discussion with Dr. MI Okpara, then Premier of Eastern region, after which they separated and went into hiding. [/b]Ifeajuna eventually escaped to Ghana where he was received by the former President Kwame Nkrumah who sent him to Winneba to stay with SG Ikoku.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by na2day(m): 3:35am On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto, thank you,
You too much grin
May I suggest you write a book on this matter, in the light of the continous brain washing of our brethren from the east of Niger?
It will be a great service to the nation cool

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Nobody: 3:56am On Sep 29, 2013
Hmm.. Kudos to Katsumoto for the history lesson; but I'm yet to understand why millions of Easterners were massacred in the aftermath of the 1966 coup.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Nobody: 4:20am On Sep 29, 2013
CFCfan: Hmm.. Kudos to Katsumoto for the history lesson; but I'm yet to understand why millions of Easterners were massacred in the aftermath of the 1966 coup.

When the people you've looked up to all your life as leaders and mentors were violently murdered in just one night....it would be easy for you to be brainwashed to take revenge on anyone remotely associated with the perpetrators of such heinous crime.

To me...it was more of a spontanoeus reaction than a pre meditated masscacre.

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 4:31am On Sep 29, 2013
CFCfan: Hmm.. Kudos to Katsumoto for the history lesson; but I'm yet to understand why millions of Easterners were massacred in the aftermath of the 1966 coup.

There were massacres in 1945 and 1953, the one in 1966 wasn't the first. The various ethnic groups were very different; the British were aware of that but hadn't made any serious plans towards integration for whatever reasons. The issues which existed in 1940 still exist today; there isn't only a lack of understanding of other cultures but an intolerance of other cultures.

Let me give you an example - When American firms started doing business with Japanese firms in the 1970s and 1980s, there were many problems between American and Japanese employees. American managers treated Japanese subordinates as they would treat an American. For instance, public humiliation is frowned upon in Japan but American Managers were fond of humiliating japanese workers. Similarly, American managers want to make quick decisions. Japanese managers typically agree with everything in a meeting because open disagreements with outsiders is alien to the Japanese. So the Americans assumed everything was going well only for the Japs to delay making a decision or pull out altogether. These frictions led to what is known as Cultural Dimensions by Geert Hofstede. As a result of his work, when managers are going on foreign assignments today, they have to learn the culture of the host country.

When Nigerians move all around the country, they take their cultural norms with them, which sometimes puts them in open or unspoken conflict. When these issues aren't addressed quickly, they gather a life of their own which results in riots and pogroms. My position is that if anyone is going to live outside their region of origin, they need to understand the cultures of the host region. There are individuals who are very good at these but unfortunately, they get caught up in these disturbances when an ignorant few prefer to be indifferent or intolerant.

See below for a conversation between Zik and Bello

ZIK: “LET US FORGET OUR DIFFERENCES AND MOVE ON”.

THE SARDUANA: “AZIKIWE, WE CAN NOT FORGET OUR DIFFERENCES. LET US UNDERSTAND OUR DIFFERENCES TO BE ABLE TO MOVE ON”.

Now back to your question. After the January coup, there were allegations of taunting of Hausas by Igbos. Offensive photographs showing Major Nzeogwu standing on the late Sardauna of Sokoto were said to be distributed in the open including market places. Some Igbos were even alleged to have worn stickers to that effect and were eager, in conversations with northerners, to point to Nzeogwu saying ‘Shi ne maganin ku”, meaning “he is the one who can knock sense into you”. Grammophone records with machine gun sounds were released, to remind Northerners, it is said, of the bullets that felled their leaders in January. The questions is - If this wasn’t true, why did Ironsi issue orders that anyone displaying provocative pictures or singing offensive songs would be arrested for incitement and would face 3 months imprisonment or 50 pounds fine or both (Decree 40)?

Maybe a few were guilty of these actions but ultimately, it led to deep seated hatred of Ndigbo by the Northerners which unfortunately resulted in the pogroms.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 4:33am On Sep 29, 2013
na2day!:
Katsumoto, thank you,
You too much grin
May I suggest you write a book on this matter, in the light of the continous brain washing of our brethren from the east of Niger?
It will be a great service to the nation cool

There isn't anything that I have put up that isn't publicly available. The problem is that people choose to believe what fits in with their agendas.

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by honeric01(m): 5:04am On Sep 29, 2013
Chai, see lecturing by Katsumoto.

So the igbos fired the first shot? Now i see why the elderly ones refuse to give room to anything igbo when it comes to leadership.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Ngwakwe: 8:09am On Sep 29, 2013
This is why I wrote an article titled "Because I was affected and my children are being punished till thisday". There was and still is a grand conspiracy and revisionist theory being conjured by some Yorubas to justify and cover-up their well manipulated human right abuses perpetrated by their Leaders against Ndigbo and their continued desire to deprived the Igbos of anything that will make them competitive.

The Holocaust and some other heinous war crimes that are in the past have been discussed, lessons learned while apologies have been tendered, reparation paid and promises like "Never Again" and Right of the helpless agreed.

If the Catholic Church can adjust its cardinal doctrine to dissuade its 2.4 billion members from unjustified hatred on the Jews, then I don't know why Yoruba Leaders and intellectuals won't do something to stop these revisionist theories their intellectuals are holding unto.

It is only in Nigeria that some so-called inhuman intellectuals of Yoruba extraction with the heart of obdurate devil will never see any evil in the genocide committed against the helpless people of Eastern Nigeria (Biafra) - I'm not talking of the Biafran Leaders or their armies but the helpless women and children that some Yorubas will simply wave as collateral damage and that in war anything is justifiable.

When prejudice takes centre stage, intellectual debate becomes futile.

honeric01: Chai, see lecturing by Katsumoto.

So the igbos fired the first shot? Now i see why the elderly ones refuse to give room to anything igbo when it comes to leadership.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by slimghost(m): 8:26am On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

There was no operation in the East. When Ifeajuna knew the coup had failed and proceeded to escape, he still shot Balewa. The same Ifeajuna proceeded to Michael Okpara's house in Enugu where he had Tea (he briefed Okpara on how the coup transpired) before escaping to Ghana. Why didn't he kill Okpara? Why did he need to go to Enugu before escaping to Ghana? Is Lagos not closer to Ghana than Enugu? Ifeajuna simply went to seek assistance of those that sent him to execute the coup.
Stop distorting facts my friend! Ifeajuna initially went to enugu to kill Okpara but was told he was in the company of the ArcBishop of Cyprus who was the like the leader of Cyprus. Ifeajuna and co were hesitant to open fire there. You are a very bad liar kid! It was after the coup was aborted that Ifeajuna met Okpara and even suggested to him why he was saved. Don't come here twisting facts to suit your senseless lies! In another of your post, you claim zik caused the unrest in the west but yet admmitted Akintola was the arrowhead! Honesty must be a virtue hard to find among your people.

4 Likes

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Mogidi: 8:30am On Sep 29, 2013
dayokanu: Wel done Jerry Useni for gunning down Ironsi and other Ibo co-conspirators who killed other leaders and forgot theirs

Babangida once said if he was woken up from sleep and told a Yoruba man is executing a coup he would go back to sleep. Considering this statement let me ask a basic question, do Yoruba soldiers know how to fire a "gun".
Correct me if am wrong but the only Yoruba man ever to plan a coup is General "cry cry baby" Diya.

NO SURRENDER
GEJ 2015

3 Likes

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by slimghost(m): 8:34am On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Here is an excerpt from the Special Branch investigation. Please provide your own sources/books/articles.

Special Branch Report: Military Rebellion of January 1966

71. When Major Ifeajuna and party returned to the Federal Guards Officers' Mess he learnt that the GOC was in town and was organizing 2nd Battalion NA at Ikeja to attack the rebels. He was then joined by Major Okafor and they drove off together in Major Ifeajuna's car.

At the Yaba Military Hospital they dropped 2/Lt Ezedigbo who had been wounded in the encounter with Brigadier Mai-Malari. The time was about 0400 hrs. Major Ifeajuna drove away on to the Abeokuta road. On the way they stopped and Ifeajuna asked the PM out of the car whence he shot and killed him. When he and Okafor became certain that the PM was dead they left the body in the bush at a point beyond Otta on the Lagos to Abeokuta road. They then opened the boot of the car and dropped the body of Lt. Col. Largema near that of the PM.

They then drove on to Abeokuta. On the way after Abeokuta two other soldiers in the car were dropped and told to find their way back to Lagos [b]whilst Ifeajuna and Okafor proceeded to Enugu. They arrived Enugu at about 1415 hours and proceeded to the Premier's Lodge where they held discussion with Dr. MI Okpara, then Premier of Eastern region, after which they separated and went into hiding. [/b]Ifeajuna eventually escaped to Ghana where he was received by the former President Kwame Nkrumah who sent him to Winneba to stay with SG Ikoku.
This is what the Nigerian Governmebt fed to people like you! If you want to read the truth, go and get the book "why we struck". And the other one from captain Ben gbulie, I have forgotten its name. Read what the principal actors said and not an investigation team set up by the government. Even Ademoyega has given his own interview, so stop spewing nonsense here. History cannot ne twisted! Never! We owe our children the truth!
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by slimghost(m): 8:38am On Sep 29, 2013
honeric01: Chai, see lecturing by Katsumoto.

Which lecture? Copy and paste history? I am still waiting for the kid to quote a principal actor of the coup! They want us to believe the coup was a power grab attempt by Igbos and yet the coup was practical aborted by Ironsi? Are people this dumb in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 29, 2013
slimghost:
Stop distorting facts my friend! Ifeajuna initially went to enugu to kill Okpara but was told he was in the company of the ArcBishop of Cyprus who was the like the leader of Cyprus. Ifeajuna and co were hesitant to open fire there. You are a very bad liar kid! It was after the coup was aborted that Ifeajuna met Okpara and even suggested to him why he was saved. Don't come here twisting facts to suit your senseless lies! In another of your post, you claim zik caused the unrest in the west but yet admmitted Akintola was the arrowhead! Honesty must be a virtue hard to find among your people.

Listen to yourself..-is there any logic in what you wrote up there.?even a fellow ibo will be more willing albeit reluctantly to agree with Katz than in your emotional verbiage up there.

Truth is people like you always believe in what you were told by your clearly biased uncles and grand parents than in clearly and objective and more plausible accounts of neutral elements.

Okpara was in the presence of some chrisitan people from Cyprus by running into their gathering was all the alibi needed to save him...while another man was killed along with his pregnant wife. They have the presence of mind not to kill Okpara in the midst of other men...but lost their minds and emotions in killing an heavily pregnant woman?

Go and sell your bullshytee story to your birds!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

"Why APC Senators Found It Difficult To Impeach Saraki" – Lai Mohammed Reveals / 'APC Caught Sharing Money To Yoruba Traditional Rulers In Aso Rock' - May Ubeku / Femi Fani-Kayode Blasts A Journalist In Calabar During Press Conference (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.