Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Modern Idolatry - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Modern Idolatry (1007 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / Modern Idolatry 1: Love Of Sport / Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modern Idolatry by MrCritique: 5:15pm On Sep 27, 2013
Hi everyone this will be a fairly long post so endure and let it speak.

Some of the sins God readily punished the Israelites for were doubt, murmuring and Idolatry. In fact for the later he issued a list of Ten Commandments for them to abide by. The first commandment deliberates on idolatry and its prohibition. Today, the first commandment has been flaunted in many ways. Though, People no longer put up golden images and bow down to, they just do that in their desires and cravings; they set up temples and worships there. We all worship something or someone technically. Some worship their cars, careers, money, possessions, pastors, celebrities, kids, families etc. Others worship at the temple of entertainment, intellectual superiority, bars, fashion, sports, science, arts etc. I don’t care what cloth it is wearing it is IDOLATRY if it occupy the place of God. 1 John 2: 15, 16.

If you protest and say ‘oh I don’t idolize anything’, here’s the litmus test WHAT or WHO IS ON YOUR THRONE? What is that thing that you can’t let go and if taken by force or accident, your whole world crumbles. What defines and gives you ultimate worth? Whatever is it, THAT IS YOUR god. The “gold calf” of old has now been masked into modern day cravings for pleasures, and as such we become slave to them. So, IF YOU CANT GIVE IT UP YOU DON’T OWN IT, IT OWNS YOU. Now, I am not saying hate all the good things created by God. In fact I am rightly saying, all these ‘God things’ are to be enjoyed within the ambit of moderation while putting God in His rightful place.

How would you know it’s an idol? One, if by means of survival in this world material thing displace God’s place then it becomes idolatry. Two, if these things regulate your love for God, (i.e) If you praise God more only when you have these toys, THEN THEY ARE YOUR IDOLS. Three, If you look are those material things and say “my life would just have meaning if I can have these” then they own you. This is the reason why Christ warned about the dangers of getting rich without godliness in Matthew.

The dangers of riches without godliness is Greed, lust, tearing down others to go higher, lying, cheating, envy, anger etc and brethren, they lead one to hell. Picture this, how tiring is it chasing something that is a little faster than your pace? How long would we keep sacrificing adorable relationship and family for SATISFACTION that won’t last? For those who have been hurt by the game, what is the price of contentment, happiness and satisfaction in this world? Are you not tired of these hurts? Won’t you rather crush your idols or would you let it crush you?

Finally, an idol devours, it saps humanity and makes us reprobates. But what is the way out of this modern idolatry? Turning to God in repentance and giving him back his rightful place in your heart. He won’t share your heart with anything or anyone cos He is a jealous God. He can give you anything with peace of mind. So repent and seek help now cos Jesus still saves.

“who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshiped and serve the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.” (Romans 1:25)

1 Like

Re: Modern Idolatry by Alwaystrue(f): 7:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
Thanks @OP. This is the TRUTH of the commandment. Anything that takes the place of God in our lives that we cannot let go off easily becomes is an idol. It is a lack of faith actually.
There is a peace that passeth all human understanding, only available in Christ Jesus that makes nothing earthly try to take the place of the Good Lord we beleive in. Christ in us, the hope of glory.

1 Like

Re: Modern Idolatry by PastorOluT(m): 8:28pm On Sep 27, 2013
Alwaystrue: Thanks @OP. This is the TRUTH of the commandment. Anything that takes the place of God in our lives that we cannot let go off easily becomes is an idol. It is a lack of faith actually.
There is a peace that passeth all human understanding, only available in Christ Jesus that makes nothing earthly try to take the place of the Good Lord we beleive in. Christ in us, the hope of glory.
Yeah, the bible says God whose name is jealous is a jealous God, He either take ur whole or nothing!
Re: Modern Idolatry by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:15pm On Sep 27, 2013
[size=28pt]MODERN IDOLATORY:[/size]

1 Like

Re: Modern Idolatry by MrCritique: 10:31pm On Sep 27, 2013
[quote author=PAGAN 9JA][size=28pt]MODERN IDOLATORY:[/size]

Young man, you really must consider the choices you are making and their consequesces.
Re: Modern Idolatry by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:36pm On Sep 27, 2013
Mr Critique: Young man, you really must consider the choices you are making and their consequesces.

you need to be sent aboard a slave ship.
Re: Modern Idolatry by Alwaystrue(f): 6:36am On Sep 28, 2013
Hebrews 9:16-17
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

The Old Convenant took effect on the Israelites ONLY AFTER the sacrifice of blood. But before the convenant took effect God had to give His laws, statutes and judgements (ordinances) FIRST. The blood of the bulls and sheep simply SEALED the bond.

But because the people could not fulfil their part and infact did so much evil, God has to send His Son Jesus Christ to avert the imminent curse on the earth.
Malachi 4:5-6
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

And the word of God in Malachi was fulfilled below when Jesus was speaking of John the Baptist, who had come to prepare the way.
Matthew 11:14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

And Jesus finally came, born of a woman, under the law (Galatians 4:4) to redeem those under the law as seen by some of the deliverances from devils miracles He did.
So THE WORD OF GOD BECAME FLESH.
John 1:14,17
And the WORD WAS MADE FLESH, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH
17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ

Ephesians 2:15 Having abolished IN HIS FLESH the ENMITY, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances ; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, AND took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross

It was while Jesus was IN THE FLESH that He abolished the law of commandments CONTAINED in ordinances (Exodus chapter 21-24)that was causing enmity between Jews and Gentiles....Read the story of the Samaritan woman for example in John 4, and the commission to take the gospel to the end of the earth (totally different from just Israel alone). Also read Matthew 5 and see where He was abolishing the judgements for going against those ordinances. e.g. Eye for eye etc. It was at His death that he TOTALLY TOOK IT OUT OF THE WAY by nailing it to the cross being a sacrifice for sins. The 10 commandments were not the ordinances. Jesus was even very angry when the traditions of men were put over the law of God. Tithe and offerings were already before the law and are not the ordinances often misconstrues in Malachi 3:7 as that scripture is not talking about Malachi 3:8....verse 7 was already answered in verse 7.

That is why scriptures says: Jesus is the end of the law FOR righteousness to them that believe (Romans 10:4) because the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us when we walk in the Spirit (Romans 8:3-4) and you believe in Christ by believing His words (John 5:24) as well as the finished work on the cross. (John 19:30)

Why? Because all Jesus did and said while He was IN THE Flesh was THE TESTAMENT (THE TRUTH AND GRACE) which was only SEALED at His death by BLOOD. Hence the NEW CONVENANT!

Matthew 26:28 for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many

To read more on this and also the transfiguration, continue in https://www.nairaland.com/1455684/what-seem-difference-between-old#18398498
Re: Modern Idolatry by MrCritique: 5:58pm On Sep 29, 2013
@pagan9ja
I know you fall in the category of those who don't subscribe to the idea of one God(polytheism). Maybe you have this one-God-with- many- names idea, but it still doesn't change the fact that after life here, there is another life that won't end. Have you ever ask your self what it be like for you when you leave this plane of gross material sphere? When was the last time you paused and consider the beyond? In case you have time to reflect, just consider you don't own yourself. Peace

(1) (Reply)

I Am That I Am / Having Unnatural? Using brazilan Hair,wool,weave,attachent?On Ur Way 2 hell / Are They Female Angels?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.