Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. (11543 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Download Psalm 23(the Lord Is My Shepherd) As A Song On Your Pc Or Mobile Phone / Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Speaks On T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by MostHigh: 11:12am On Sep 29, 2013
christemmbassey: child dedication is NOT A CHRISTIAN PRACTICE, d fraudstars who collect tithe uses it as another tool to steal from ppl. WE DON'T DO CHILD DEDICATION IN OUR CHURCH.

The church is for yashua

You haVe no church of your own. smiley
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by chidijp1(m): 11:15am On Sep 29, 2013
The pharisees where operating two laws. The one set by God and the one set by they pharisees. Jesus was warning people to beware of their deceit. Don't do their biddings.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Orikinla(m): 11:24am On Sep 29, 2013
[size=18pt]WHO TOLD YOU THAT There has been many misconceptions and contradictions about Matthew 23?

Which research and survey did you do to find out that there have been many misconceptions and contradictions of Matthew 23?
[/size]
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 29, 2013
This thread for easier understanding. Interesting discussion. https://www.nairaland.com/1456343/tithes-offerings-eternal-principles
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by philfearon(m): 11:40am On Sep 29, 2013
Am More interested from Mathew23:13 upwards,which is all about Accusations and Condemnation and Judgement.......
THEREFORE,obadiah777,Mosthigh,Meilyn and your cohorts: Show thy face{s} in this thread!!
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 29, 2013
which kind tin b dis na.....i nearly faint cos say i de read ur post.....shwoo....na wa o@d end..i no even understand d small one wen i read self.....i need peakmilk and malt...@op

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by prof800(m): 12:09pm On Sep 29, 2013
This thread is too hot...
As if the hot sun on a sunday noon is not enough...
Kai..!
God help us understand the Bible ooo.
The pastors themselves are yet to figure it all out.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Alwaystrue(f): 12:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360: This is the kind of nonsense preached from the pulpit today. If I owe God, what did Christ PAID then. What tithe is God's tithe that I can EAT when God was talking in Deuteronomy 14,

22 You must reserve a tenth part of whatever your fields produce each year.

23 Eat the tenth part of your grain, wine, oil, oldest offspring of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God in the location he selects for his name to reside so that you learn to fear the Lord your God at all times.

24 But if the trip is too long, because the location the Lord your God has selected to put his name is far away from where you live so that you can’t transport the tenth part—because the Lord your God will certainly bless you—

25 then you can convert it to money. Take the money with you and go to the location the Lord your God selects.

26 Then you can use the money for anything you want: cattle, sheep, wine, beer, or whatever else you might like. Then you should feast there and celebrate in the presence of the Lord your God, along with your entire household.

27 Only make sure not to neglect the Levites who are living in your cities because they don’t have a designated inheritance like you do.

28 Every third year you must bring the tenth part of your produce from that year and leave it at your city gates.

29 Then the Levites, who have no designated inheritance like you do, along with the immigrants, orphans, and widows who live in your cities, will come and feast until they are full. Do this so that the Lord your God might bless you in everything you do.

Deuteronomy 14
Common English Bible (CEB)

Pastor Adeboye, why do you call Christians thieves that they are robbing God when God himself said they can EAT THEIR TITHE...which wasn't money in the original tithing law. God said if I'm to convert it to MONEY, meaning not originally money, I can buy whatever I like and EAT it even I can buy BEER and ogororo with my tithe convert money. Why do you enforce Mosaic law on Christians? Know ye not the Law applies ONLY to those it was given to?

https://www.nairaland.com/1458058/open-heavens-daily-devotional-sunday

Ephesians 2:15
by abolishing the law of COMMANDMENTS EXPRESSED IN ORDINANCES, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,

MOSES SPEAKING HERE:
Deuteronomy 12:1,5-7, 13-14,32
1 These are the STATUTES AND ORDINANCES that you must carefully observe in the land that the LORD God of your ancestors has given you to possess every day that you live on the earth.
5 But unto the place which the Lord your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, even unto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come:

6 And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
7 And there ye shall eat before the Lord your God,
and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the Lord thy God hath blessed thee.

13 Take heed to thyself that THOU OFFER NOT thy burnt offerings IN EVERY PLACE THAT THOU SEEST:
14 BUT IN THE PLACE WHICH THE LORD SHALL CHOOSE IN ONE OF THY TRIBES, there thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, and there thou shalt DO ALL THAT I COMMAND THEE

32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it

GOD SAYS IN THE FINAL BOOK OF THE OT:
MALACHI 3:8-10
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In TITHES AND OFFERINGS
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it

JESUS SAYS:
Matthew 23:23
"What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law--justice, mercy, and faith. YOU SHOULD TITHE, YES, BUT DO NOT NEGLECT THE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS.

PAUL SAYS:
I Corinthians 9:13-14
13 Don't you realize that those who work at the temple get their food from the temple? Don't those who help at the altar get a share of what is on the altar?
14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who spread the Good News should earn their living from the Good News

As Abraham gave tithes and offerings to God in appreciation of God's blessing. Children of Abraham tithe and give God offerings to appreciate what God has given them and still God blesses with more. God is indeed faithful!
By the way, the 10 commandments (all summed up in love) was given by God WITH HIS OWN VOICE for the first time to the Israelites in Exodus 20...God's word never returns to Him void and is everlasting. Please do not be deceived!

(edited)
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by shejane: 12:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
God gave us FREE WILL to do good or bad, let dat d same WILL guide u 2 pay tithe or not

Y alwys bringing it up? Is dat d major prob facing us christians? Is dat wot wil take us 2 heaven?

Bible has become wot pple use 2 justify der attitude even criminals

Dot make tins difficult 4u or mix tins

U can either pay ur tithe or nt. Dat simple
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 12:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Good morning to y'all.

There's something about the Law we must understand, and this includes the law of tithing. You can't practice the Mosaic Law in isolation, it must be in wholesome practice. You can't pick what you like and leave the others. This further explain what Christ was saying in Matthew 23:23 - The religious leaders, scribes and pharisees, left our weightier matters but only hold on to tithe and same is happening in our days.

2. Some people might say, there are ceremonial laws, moral law and sacrificial law. I challenge anyone to produce ONE SINGLE verse from Genesis to Revelation where such distinction was made. The bible never made such distinction, it is those religious leaders who wants to confuse and take advantage of the ignorant that made such distinctions. Those who want to enforce the Moses Law on Christians don't understand what the law says - practice all or none, break one = break all. Why? The law was given as whole. When scripture talks about the law, it refers to it as a whole.

3. Tithing mentioned in Matthew 23:23 is a 'matter of the law' still be practiced then and Christians are not 'under the law of Moses' but under the law of Christ. You can't pick tithe out of the whole law and keep practicing that. That is even worse because scripture says, when you don't do the WHOLE law (picking one and doing others), such person is under and curse and fallen from Grace.

I have scriptural backings on what is said above, I'm just in a haste when typing this. I have to go now.

Happy Sunday to y'all.

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
^
I still await you on the thread bro. Lets do away with the unfinished business.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 12:37pm On Sep 29, 2013
Alwaystrue:

Ephesians 2:15
by abolishing the law of COMMANDMENTS EXPRESSED IN ORDINANCES, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,

MOSES SPEAKING HERE:
Deuteronomy 12:1,5-7
1 These are the STATUTES AND ORDINANCES that you must carefully observe in the land that the LORD God of your ancestors has given you to possess every day that you live on the earth.
5 But unto the place which the Lord your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, even unto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come:

6 And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
7 And there ye shall eat before the Lord your God,
and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the Lord thy God hath blessed thee.

13 Take heed to thyself that THOU OFFER NOT thy burnt offerings IN EVERY PLACE THAT THOU SEEST:
14 BUT IN THE PLACE WHICH THE LORD SHALL CHOOSE IN ONE OF THY TRIBES, there thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, and there thou shalt DO ALL THAT I COMMAND THEE

32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it

GOD SAYS IN THE FINAL BOOK OF THE OT:
MALACHI 3:8-9
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In TITHES AND OFFERINGS
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation

JESUS SAYS:
Matthew 23:23
"What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law--justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

PAUL SAYS:
I Corinthians 9:13-14
13 Don't you realize that those who work at the temple get their food from the temple? Don't those who help at the altar get a share of what is on the altar?
14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who spread the Good News should earn their living from the Good News

As Abraham gave tithes and offerings to God in appreciation of God's blessing. Children of Abraham tithe and give God offerings to appreciate what God has given them and still God blesses with more. God is indeed faithful!
By the way, the 10 commandments (all summed up in love) was given by God WITH HIS OWN VOICE for the first time to the Israelites in Exodus 20...God's word never returns to Him void and is everlasting. Please do not be deceived!

I will expose you soon.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 12:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
idnoble135: ^
I still await you on the thread bro. Lets do away with the unfinished business.

I will be there, on my work to work soon.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Alwaystrue(f): 12:39pm On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360:

I will expose you soon.

Yes, Expose the word of God!
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360:

I will be there, on my work to work soon.
Seen.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by shejane: 12:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
Tins lyk dis made christianity nt strong nd dats y muslims wil continue 2 step on u pple nd mock u guys

Division in christianity has eaten deep in d church of God, giving d muslims a hand ova u all

Jus because his Grace is sufficient 4 us

Iav nev read any thread abt muslims or der clerics/iman or is it dat der are so holy? I wonda

Paying of tithe or pastors enjoying d tithe shd be lest of ur prob in life

Wil u tel God u were busy analysing tithe dats y u didt make heaven?

Make hay while d sun shine
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360:

No playing mehn, I, alone will chase a thousand. If one more person join me, both of us shall chase 10 thousand. We must chase all these tithe merchants out of business.

Lmao.
I hear you and I feel you brother cool
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 29, 2013
Goshen360:

I will expose you soon.

Hello Goshen. It's been a while o. You never returned to my thread on the Law and Grace. You asked two questions on this post @ https://www.nairaland.com/1290444/law-given-moses-grace-truth/4#15778453 :

Goshen360: What good question was that? I left you on that thread because I don't have much time\strength for talk then. Even now, I might not have much time but let's start this way to know whether lies (half truth) were contained in Moses' teachings or not which translated to imperfection.

"King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
*All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers*: but the sheep did not hear them. John 10:8"

Question: 

1. Who are the *ALL* that came BEFORE Christ came?
2. Why do Christ called *ALL* of them THIEVES AND ROBBERS?

An answer to these two questions from scriptures will continue the discourse. Please don't give me too much philosophy to answer these questions o grin. Please answer #1 & #2 with scriptural reference please.

And I gave you these answers @ https://www.nairaland.com/1290444/law-given-moses-grace-truth/4#15784406 :

Ihedinobi: 1. Those who came claiming to be the long-awaited Christ a possible example among whom was a Theudas whom Gamaliel spoke of as an example of a false starter (see Acts 5:34-39) and another Judas of Galilee also spoken of by the same person in the same place.

2. Because they claimed that which was not theirs - Messiahship - and tried to draw men after themselves, men whom God had given as an inheritance and a reward to His Christ.

Did you neglect to return because the answers satisfied you or do you still hold the view that Moses was one of the thieves and robbers that Jesus spoke of?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by emmabest2000(m): 1:56pm On Sep 29, 2013
Image123:
This is New Testament principle. i've heard folks say that Matthew 23 is Jesus talking under the law. They do not believe that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. What He commends today, He will commend tomorrow, and forever. Whosoever exalts himself will be abased. God resists the proud. Let God lift you up.
Rom 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another;
Everyone in the house of God is a servant, though child of God. Being a servant is simply someone who serves. People think being a servant is poverty, that if you are rich you are not a servant. Being a servant is about service, not about bank accounts. The greatest can be a servant. Is verse 12 talking to one particular group of people? No, it is to all, it applies to all.

Jesus is the Judge of the whole earth.
Joh 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
Not WILL but HAS, the Father HAS committed all judgment unto the Son. As Judge, He has all knowledge, has the Help of the Holy Ghost, and the leading of the Omniscient God to be able to declare judgement. When He says Woe, He knows what it means. He declares Woe on the scribes and pharisees. We cannot declare woe on others because we are not to judge or condemn. God has committed judgement to Jesus Christ. Why does He declare Woe on the scribes and pharisees? Because they are hypocrites, and because ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in. If a Sadducee does the same thing, woe betides him from the Lord. If a christian does the same thing, woe awaits him/her from the Lord. The Lord is not a respecter of persons.
Act 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
Mat 22:16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.
Col 3:25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done; and there is no respect of persons.
1Pe 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

The pharisees shut up the kingdom of heaven against men! One would think, is that even possible? What of God drawing who He feels like and all that? But Jesus said that the pharisees shut up the kingdom of heaven against men. They do not allow those that are willing to go in to go in. The kingdom of God is righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Ghost. There are folks who have decided to make people lose the peace of God because of one doctrine or the other. There are folks whose aim in life is to unsettle unwary church members. There are fellows, even here on NL who do not claim to be righteous, do not behave righteous, but are ready and even have success in destroying relationships of people with church. They do not have a church or pastor to give you, but they want you to distrust your pastor and your church and your members. Their joy is made complete when others begin to suspect their church leadership and members. There will be surprises in heaven.

There is woe for every hypocrite and wicked person. Whether you claim washed by the blood of Jesus or not. Anyone who devours widows'houses or is a pretender, is going to be a recipient of woe. It is not only scribes and pharisees. Paul was a pharisee, but he escaped woe.
Act 23:6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
Some people are not pharisees, but they are courting woe.

Woe belongs to every hypocrite in every city and nation. Not just scribes and pharisees. Anyone that does the same acts, be you Herodian, Sadducee, Yoruba or Igbo, there is woe aplenty.
Making disciples or proselytes or converts is not a monopoly of true christianity. Anything can be well argued. If you're so unlucky, you might meet someone to convince you to become a terrorist, or an atheist, or an agnostic. The human mind can be convinced to do good or bad. That you convince people of something is not necessarily a mark that God approves. It only shows that your marketing skill is beginning to pay off. We need to be very careful of what we are convincing people of. The pharisees could never have thought, or even agreed that they were making people children of hell. They had scripture passages for many of their actions, even. Be careful what you convince people of. There is nothing has sure as Jesus and Jesus only. He is the message we are really sent to preach. How shall they preach except they be sent. We are sent to preach Jesus. Let us preach Jesus above anything else. Only Jesus can save.
Act 8:5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
Act 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same Scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Act 9:20 And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

Gooooooooooood grin
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 5:19pm On Sep 29, 2013
MostHigh:

The church is for yashua

You haVe no church of your own. smiley
d only meaningfull post u'v ever made, that's TRUE,KEEP IT UP.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by MostHigh: 7:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
christemmbassey: d only meaningfull post u'v ever made, that's TRUE,KEEP IT UP.

grin grin

Na you get ya mouth.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Dvessel(m): 8:53pm On Sep 29, 2013
My people after the mystery of the death and resurection of Jesus, that law of tithe was abolished(heb 7), any pastor tell u to pay tithe is a fraud, Jesus neva paid tithe nor d apostles, in matt 23:23 he said it is a small thing, cos tithe itself was a carnal comandment (for d isrealite) dat neva made d people perfect dat is y Jesus came. It is better to pay ur TAX than TITHES. Learn to give to the poor and needy than give to the so called rich pastors. If you are not clear of this teaching call 08036153665 or email.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by christemmbassey(m): 5:34pm On Oct 01, 2013
All d ppl who quoted Malachi3:10 to decieve themselves, i want u to tell me smthing, u want to tell me dat all those unfortunate ppl who perished in DANA crash did nt pay tithe, that was why God allowed them to die? On first of April this yr, a very popular church in Nigeria organized a crusade, and after d crusade, about 4 members died on their way back, one of them led in all d praise n worship in dat crusade, and this guy was to lunch his debut gosgel album dat same week, i heard, d woman who supposed to sponsor him went to d hospital and pleaded with him crying, "pls don't die, see d money for ur album" and he answered, "no ma, i'm tired, i just want to go and be with the lord", and he died. So Malachi 3:10 ppl, was it bc these ppl rob God of tithe dat he allowed them to die on their way back from preaching?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Image123(m): 3:39am On Oct 07, 2013
Continuing from where i stopped on discussing Matthew 23, questions and sensible discussions are welcome. Again, we will do well to visit the chapter, meditate on it, pray on it, and ask God to explain His Words to us. Matthew 23 contains 39 verses, 38 verses there are direct words of Jesus. i implore us all to not just come to this thread to scorn, or mock, or try to catch folks in their words. But to aim at edification and understanding and growing more to be like Jesus. Please, contribute.

Mat 23:16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

Jesus pronounced woe on blind guides. He is the Judge of all men and not a respecter of persons. The Jewish elders had a high opinion of themselves as being Abraham's children and custodians of the law of God. But they received stern rebuke and condemnation from Christ. Christians today should fear and be warned. There a christians that have the attitude of " a whole me, bought by the blood of Jesus, body of Christ". It is the same way the Israelites were high minded about being jewish and descendants of Abraham. They woke up every morning to thank God for being a jew. But Jesus came, found their works wanting, and declared woe on them. He also showed that woe and condemnation was not limited to pharisees or scribes. If a Sadducee or an Herodian or a Gentile did the same thing, He would declare Woe. If a disciple did the same thing, He would declare woe. He declared woe on Judas, a close disciple, when Judas 'misfired'.
woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed(matthew26). In Luke 6, Jesus declared Woe on the rich and full who would not accept Him but were self righteous. Jude makes it clear, if anybody(christian or no christian) goes in the way of Cain, and run greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perish in the gainsaying of Korah, such a fellow is courting woe. So also does every blind guide.
The blind guides/leaders in Jesus'time said whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor. In the first place, there should be no swearing as Jesus says Mat 5:34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
But this guides respected the gold above the temple. They did not take matters of money lightly, but the temple was not that important. We should learn from this to respect the temple(the Body of Christ) above material things and wealth. Many people do not care to do damage and loss and irreverence to the temple. They do not care the strife they generate or the party spirit they exhibit. All they want to trash out is the gold.

Mat 23:17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?
Again, here is Jesus as the Judge of the world. He is the Lion and the Lamb. He is meek and lowly, and wants us to be meek and lowly. But as Judge, we are not to judge. He commands, Judge not.
Luk 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
Followers of Jesus are not expected to call others 'fools' or any such name. Those rights belong to God who has fearfully and wonderfully made all men.
Jesus says that the temple is greater than the gold. Infact, it is the temple that sanctifies the gold. It is the temple that makes the gold holy. It is not location that makes the gift holy, but the temple.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Image123(m): 3:39am On Oct 07, 2013
Mat 23:18 And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.
A parallel reference of what the blind guides did. To the guides, swearing by the temple or by the altar was nothing. No big deal. But swearing by the gold or the gift made one guilty, a debtor. Again, the swearing act itself makes man guilty.
Jam 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.
However the point being drawn is the blindness and folly in thinking and taking the gift to be of more value than the Altar or temple. Today too, people worship and serve God's gifts above God, this should not be so. Gain, gold, gifts is not the standard for godliness. Respect the temple, respect the altar, respect the Body of Christ above all these. Do not because of gold, gifts and gains desecrate and embarrass the Body of Christ.

Mat 23:19 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift
Again, the altar is greater than the gift. It is the altar that sanctifies the gift. No matter how great, expensive and precious the gift is. It is not a situation of location. Some folks teach that a gift from Israel is holy or sanctified, that any gift from outside Israel land is not holy. It is the same spirit, thinking and ideology that practices holy water, holy olive oil, holy etc from Israel or Jerusalem. It is the temple, God that dwells in the temple, the Body of Christ, that makes anything holy.
Never forget this basic truth.

Mat 23:20 Whoso therefore shall swear by the altar, sweareth by it, and by all things thereon.
Mat 23:21 And whoso shall swear by the temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein.
Mat 23:22 And he that shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon.

Here is a summary of the points implied in the previous four verses, as it were. Jesus is the way, the Truth, and the Life. His words are settled in Heaven forever. What He has stated here is truth yesterday, today and forever. There is nothing He says that is truth under the law and falsehood under grace. There is nothing He says that passes away after His death. As a statement of fact, He said,
Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Mar 13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
Luk 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
Joh 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

These verses are very important, because we have folks here on NL committing the sacrilege of disdaining the words of Jesus Christ before He died on calvary. i do not understand where they got such new 'light'. None of the apostles says or implies such things of Jesus Christ. Infact, the famously liberal Paul the apostle says,
1Ti 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings.
1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

if these is not enough to warn or jolt anybody, perhaps the person is not just sleeping or careless, but dead.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 4:34am On Oct 07, 2013
^ The 'words' of Christ is not just what came out of his mouth. If that's what it means, there are many things that came out of Christ's mouth as words that we\you cannot do today. If I start to point them out now, you will say it's metaphoric and so on. The words of Christ means his 'teachings'.

1 Timothy 6:3
Expanded Bible (EXB)
Anyone who has a different teaching and does not agree with the ·true teaching [sound/healthy words] of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that ·shows the true way to serve God [promotes piety/godliness]

Amplified Bible (AMP)
3 But if anyone teaches otherwise and does not [a]assent to the sound and wholesome messages of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and the teaching which is in agreement with godliness (piety toward God),
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 5:53am On Oct 07, 2013
@alwaystrue, God bless you for that exposition!

@Goshen360, seriously, i'm still trying to find the correlation between your profile pix and some things you've typed in here. Don't you think you should leave your multiple knowledge and ask the Holy Spirit, who originally inspired the Scriptures through men, for some clear cut understanding?
this is not to attack your personalty because i respect you so much, but i must be sincere, it's high time you lock urself up alone with God and ask questions! enough of logic and reasoning!

Take a second look at everything alwaystrue wrote. you even responded to "expose her" really?! and yes, she was right, expose the word of God-that you seem to know too much about!

This verse:

"What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law--justice, mercy, and faith."

comfortably fixes all your tithing worries, as Jesus did not condemn it. did u notice the word "more"?

and again, the Bible says Jesus did not come to condemn the law but to fulfil it...the same law that you think christians aren't bound to, forgetting that Christ fulfilling the law is also displayed in Matt 23:23

When Jesus said we should not follow after the works of the pharisees, he meant their deeds....yet He said we should follow what things they said...basically, the pharisees were not practicing what they preached.

Goshen, there are people here in NL that used to tithe, maybe they didn't fully understand what they were doing or perhaps, their faith wasn't strong enough, that you might have prevented from paying their tithes by your confident teachings, i strongly suggest you seek reconciliation.
you cannot "over-serve" God because Jesus said greater works you will do, but you can "under-serve" and that can have serious consequences!

Tithing is one of those Christian practices that if I get to heaven and discover it wasn't necessary, I WILL NEVER REGRET DOING IT!

Shalom!

4 Likes

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by swtchicgurl: 8:07am On Oct 07, 2013
Goshen,

God is not a man that He should lie and Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever! He said in Lev. 27:30, 32

"A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord. 32 Every tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the Lord"

Are you saying God is a liar? God forbid! Has His standards changed? No!

Note that in Deut 12:17-19,

You must not eat in your own towns the tithe of your grain and new wine and olive oil, or the firstborn of your herds and flocks, or whatever you have vowed to give, or your freewill offerings or special gifts. 18 Instead, you are to eat them in the presence of the Lord your God at the place the Lord your God will choose—you, your sons and daughters, your male and female servants, and the Levites from your towns—and you are to rejoice before the Lord your God in everything you put your hand to. 19 Be careful not to neglect the Levites as long as you live in your land
and Deut. 14:22-29

Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Without mincing words, God demanded for the tithes, after which He gave them the liberty of 'eating' it for a specific purpose. As an analogy, there's a difference between, "you coming to give me some that you owe me and I tell you to keep it, and you not bringing the money at all!"

With respect to the the last line of the quote, look around you carefully, there some things that would have been better if you:

- pay your tithes
- teach people to pay theirs

God bless!
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Image123(m): 10:45am On Oct 07, 2013
Goshen360: ^ The 'words' of Christ is not just what came out of his mouth. If that's what it means, there are many things that came out of Christ's mouth as words that we\you cannot do today. If I start to point them out now, you will say it's metaphoric and so on. The words of Christ means his 'teachings'.

1 Timothy 6:3
Expanded Bible (EXB)
Anyone who has a different teaching and does not agree with the ·true teaching [sound/healthy words] of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that ·shows the true way to serve God [promotes piety/godliness]

Amplified Bible (AMP)
3 But if anyone teaches otherwise and does not [a]assent to the sound and wholesome messages of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and the teaching which is in agreement with godliness (piety toward God),

Those words in red in the red letter Bible are the words of Jesus. No one hs said that those are the only words of Jesus so i do not understand your premise. There is no need to kick against the pricks as it were.
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Goshen360(m): 11:55am On Oct 07, 2013
Image123:
Those words in red in the red letter Bible are the words of Jesus. No one hs said that those are the only words of Jesus so i do not understand your premise. There is no need to kick against the pricks as it were.

Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

This is also the words of Christ. Do you do this as a requirement before following Christ and\or for perfection?
Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Alwaystrue(f): 12:15pm On Oct 07, 2013
@swtchicgurl,
Thank God.

@Image123,
I was wondering why you did not complete this all this while. Many questions have been answered on the 'Tithes and Offerings: An Eternal Principle' thread...Did you take time to go through it?
It is obvious many seem to be ever learning but not coming to the knowledge of the TRUTH.
I pray the Lord will soften their hearts to allow His WORD to penetrate. Indeed, circumcision is of the heart....so many layers of hate, anger and unbelief.

1 Like

Re: Matthew 23, The Message. Let's Discuss. by Image123(m): 1:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
Alwaystrue: @swtchicgurl,
Thank God.

@Image123,
I was wondering why you did not complete this all this while. Many questions have been answered on the 'Tithes and Offerings: An Eternal Principle' thread...Did you take time to go through it?
It is obvious many seem to be ever learning but not coming to the knowledge of the TRUTH.
I pray the Lord will soften their hearts to allow His WORD to penetrate. Indeed, circumcision is of the heart....so many layers of hate, anger and unbelief.

No vex my lady. i am going to improve. grin
I'll go and read it today

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If You're Grateful To God For Anything, Please Jump In Here. / Bishop David Abioye Sunday Messages, Wednesday And International Message For Fre / How To Prepare Hot Hand Charm For Yahoo Boys, Tailors, Djs Etc..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.