Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,586 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (131712 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by oluwaseunsewe: 3:46am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo emeka go get a job..
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 3:48am On Oct 05, 2013
manny4life:

Then again, TX is on my mind... grin grin
Guy E be like say you be Bipolar, I swear. You're making Shymexx sound truthful grin grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by princeonx: 3:48am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: Mr Millionaire I am an uber patriot. Some of our brightest minds like Larry Summers critics this "our" beloved country USA.
2. This thread does not COMPARE nigeria to america, it highlights some truths that may be missing from TV Nigerians watch

Ofcox there's really no reason to compare USA (sleep) to Nigeria (death) it's incomparable but at the same time anyone that have something up there doesn't need a TV to tell you that America is not heaven! Even heaven am sure have toilet which is filled with $h!t!! America has it good, bad, and ugly side. The ugly and dirty places you pictured here with the poster are places people drive maybe 20 or 30 minutes to see or get to! While this are sites you see in naija just 2minutes from the airport! Yes the thread might or may not be comparing the two countries but when you tell a Nigerian that America is not good, what option do you leave them with if not home (Nigeria)? That's where the comparison comes in!

Bottom line: those of us (Nigerians abroad) that think Nigeria is bad, can't be fixed, corrupt, f4ked up and not a place to live are not patriotic and yes we are bad Nigerians and don't even deserve a green passport (only to enter naija anyway) but those of you who love naija so much, believe it can be fixed, patriotic, and yet live abroad or do absolutely nothing to fix it are worst!

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:50am On Oct 05, 2013
Since the BULK of Nigerians want to hear "BEAUTIFUL LA LA stories of America" Let me feed you all: cheesy

YES AMERICA IS SO LOVELY AND BEAUTIFUL, IN FACT IT IS PERFECT. COMING TO AMERICA WILL ELIMINATE THE PROBLEMS YOU HAVE. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SIGN UP FOR GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS AND YOU WILL GET A LOT OF MONEY. THERE ARE MANY JOBS TO DO IN AMERICA, YOU CAN EASILY GET ONE EVEN WITHOUT PAPERS. IF YOU FIND A NIGERIAN WHO OWNS A RESTAURANT, WORK FOR THEM AND THEY WILL PAY YOU, YOU CAN SAVE TILL YOU GET ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY YOURSELF A NICE HOUSE IN AMERICA. NO NEED TO WASTE TIME PLANNING, IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEAVE, DO SO AND COME TO THE US ASAP. THERE ARE A LOT OF NIGERIANS WILLING TO HELP YOU, GO TO THE NEAREST SERVICE CENTER AND THEY WILL ASSIST YOU. HOUSING IS ALSO EASY. DO YOU KNOW THEY HAVE SHELTERS IN AMERICA? FREE!!!!!!!!! FOR THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE A PLACE TO STAY, YOU CAN GO TO A SHELTER AND THERE IS A FREE PLACE FOR YOU TO STAY, ALREADY FURNISHED!!!!!

AMERICA IS INDEED THE LAND OF THE FREE. ONCE YOU WORK HARD, YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR DUES. THE GHETTOS BARELY EXIST.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:51am On Oct 05, 2013
I work also, if that satisfies you. Next suggestion?

oluwaseunsewe: ozo emeka go get a job..

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by princeonx: 3:52am On Oct 05, 2013
Lucasbalo: . You are right . I guess something about your post just got to me. You can look up my postings before all our encounters. This is very unlike me. Something must have pushed my button. To be candid, my significant other would be disappointed if she sees all what transpired between you and I. Will surprise you with what I am about to say. I even like your aggressive no take prisoner attitude . I am like that in some way. I was born and raised in Lagos Island and that was how we grew up. Like I said before, no animose against you and I sincerely apologize for my utterances. Hope you accept it in good faith. Peace to you.
That's a real man speaking!! You just earned my respect!! Proud of you bro!

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:53am On Oct 05, 2013
You gotta be kidding me. Ask people who live in DC how far the ghettos are from the white house. Ask them if homeless people dont stay RIGHT IN FRONT OF union station, opposite the Fed and right close to Congress. I am done replying this, just ask one of the NUMEROUS nairalanders who live in DC if 2 mins is even FAR enough

prince_onx:
Ofcox there's really no reason to compare USA (sleep) to Nigeria (death) it's incomparable but at the same time anyone that have something up there doesn't need a TV to tell you that America is not heaven! Even heaven am sure have toilet which is filled with $h!t!! America has it good, bad, and ugly side. The ugly and dirty places you pictured here with the poster are places people drive maybe 20 or 30 minutes to see or get to! While this are sites you see in naija just 2minutes from the airport! Yes the thread might or may not be comparing the two countries but when you tell a Nigerian that America is not good, what option do you leave them with if not home (Nigeria)?

Bottom line: those of us (Nigerians abroad) that think Nigeria is bad, can't be fixed, corrupt, f4ked up and not a place to live are not patriotic and yes we are bad Nigerians and don't even deserve a green passport (only to enter naija anyway) but those of you who love naija so much, believe it can be fixed, patriotic, and yet live abroad or do absolutely nothing to fix it are worst!

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 3:58am On Oct 05, 2013
This OP is 21 years old and he has a lot to learn. Dude grew up in predominantly ex Panther members neighborhood here in the United States and that is why he is using one side of his mouth to tell young intelligent and feedup Nigerians not to migrate to a country that practice meritocracy. Same dude benefits from financial aids given to him by the government he claims to despise. Advise to young Nigerians, if you are below 30years old and you are politically not connected and are book smart, I see no reason why you want to remain in a cesspool.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by oluwaseunsewe: 4:00am On Oct 05, 2013
Nw i knw why you talk shit, you have a job..not a business owner..
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by oluwaseunsewe: 4:01am On Oct 05, 2013
HEe is a lil kid..
bootlegaz: This OP is 21 years old and he has a lot to learn. Dude grew up in predominantly ex Panther members neighborhood here in the United States and that is why he is using one side of his mouth to tell young intelligent and feedup Nigerians not to migrate to a country that practice meritocracy. Same dude benefits from financial aids given to him by the government he claims to despise. Advise to young Nigerians, if you are below 30years old and you are politically not connected and are book smart, I see no reason why you want to remain in a cesspool.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 4:03am On Oct 05, 2013
Manny4life, those imprisoned in United States, who takes care of their medical bill? Dude if you don't know anything about US health system I would advise you keep quiet. Again, anyone can seek help in a Hospital in the United States without question asked and I choose not to be deceived by some one living in Virginia today, Lekki the next week.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Tinyemeka(m): 4:03am On Oct 05, 2013
god_of_music: I've been following this thread with a wise mind-set, I read what the OP has written and I got the cents, authomatically this man has contributed to my life and I am not gonna forget what I have learnt from him so far.

@Moderators He wasn't trying to insult anybody,he was only quoting them with words that seems insultive to the understanding of we the third world countries as 'they' call it.

I just want the wise ones here to take the cents from the OP's Post and add to your account. Trust me, it's gonna multiply and probably make you Rich.

“Most people do not listen with the
intent to understand; they listen with
the intent to reply.
#WORD cool

Dude I no know say you dey make sense sometimes. That's when you aren't being mischievously silly. smiley
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:11am On Oct 05, 2013
LMAO at Panthers neighborhood.. LMAO No bueno sir, I did not grow up with Malcolm X and the like

bootlegaz: This OP is 21 years old and he has a lot to learn. Dude grew up in predominantly ex Panther members neighborhood here in the United States and that is why he is using one side of his mouth to tell young intelligent and feedup Nigerians not to migrate to a country that practice meritocracy. Same dude benefits from financial aids given to him by the government he claims to despise. Advise to young Nigerians, if you are below 30years old and you are politically not connected and are book smart, I see no reason why you want to remain in a cesspool.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Tinyemeka(m): 4:12am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: I work also, if that satisfies you. Next suggestion?

Question: If the US is this dreary and challenging as being portrayed, do you ever get any feeling impending frustration, doom after graduation? Or being an Ivy-Leaguer is sure guarantee of a planned and secured career? Do you sometimes habour any thought of emmigrating?

Just asking.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:12am On Oct 05, 2013
Well if we're going to drag that in here then I have started my own business selling Electronics.

You all keep dragging my personal side into this huh

oluwaseunsewe: Nw i knw why you talk shit, you have a job..not a business owner..

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:14am On Oct 05, 2013
Well, Ivies sure do give you a sort of CONFIDENCE to begin to tackle the workforce BEFORE you graduate.

The US is not "DREARY". There is no GLOOM. This thread like I have said 10000000000000000 times is simply about a BALANCE.

Tinyemeka:

Question: If the US is this dreary and challenging as being portrayed, do you ever get any feeling impending frustration, doom after graduation? Or being an Ivy-Leaguer is sure guarantee of a planned and secured career? Do you sometimes habour any thought of emmigrating?

Just asking.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Tinyemeka(m): 4:16am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka:
The US is not "DREARY". There is no GLOOM. This thread like I have said 10000000000000000 times is simply about a BALANCE.
There is. Balance you say. So there has to be a the good and the not good side.

Are you trying to recant?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 4:19am On Oct 05, 2013
Blacks are crab in a Bucket. You will never hear Mexicans tell their fellow country men not to come to the United States or go back to their country cos they are not documented, what you will see are their relatives and friends carry placard to protest and defend the rights of the Illegal ones here, meanwhile Nigerians call immigration or discourage their relatives from taking advantage of the social system. Thread of such gives a basic understanding of why black race is bottom of the poo in America when it comes to net income and standard of living
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:21am On Oct 05, 2013
Not recanting, that has been the crux of this thread from the beginning, people brought in their defeated selves and projected all their issues on the thread. Pay attention to what the thread is TALKING ABOUT

Tinyemeka:

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Lucasbalo(m): 4:22am On Oct 05, 2013
prince_onx:
. Thanks my brother. It's not a bad thing to apologize if you are wrong.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Tinyemeka(m): 4:24am On Oct 05, 2013
bootlegaz: Blacks are crab in a Bucket. You will never hear Mexicans tell their fellow country men not to come to the United States or go back to their country cos they are not documented, what you will see are their relatives and friends carry placard to protest and defend the rights of the Illegal ones here, meanwhile Nigerians call immigration or discourage their relatives from taking advantage of the social system. Thread of such gives a basic understanding of why black race is bottom of the poo in America when it comes to net income and standard of living
OP didn't say "Don't come". He meant "Prepare your mind. These are things you might see when you come" They are two different things.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by princeonx: 4:26am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: You gotta be kidding me. Ask people who live in DC how far the ghettos are from the white house. Ask them if homeless people dont stay RIGHT IN FRONT OF union station, opposite the Fed and right close to Congress. I am done replying this, just ask one of the NUMEROUS nairalanders who live in DC if 2 mins is even FAR enough

This is exactly why me and you are here having this conversation! I don't live or close to the ghetto! And I don't have one closer than atleast 20mnts from me! Might be 2,5mnts for others that's them! America is not the same for everybody so no body especially those that it didn't favor should not discourage anybody especially someone that is suffering in Nigeria not to come to US if they have the opportunity. And like you said, homeless people live or stay Mnts from the WhiteHouse!! That's America for you! Can that ever happen in Nigeria/Abuja? Minutes from Aso rock? I don't think so! Not with the way states in Nigeria are deporting people to their states!
Guy! to live for America no be by force oh! You cant claim you don't eat beans but eat Akara or moimoi!!! If you don't like it here or can't make it here! Try other places or better still go back naija!! You can't live abroad and condemn it and also discourage people from coming yet you no wan leave!

Visit the travel section when you can and read/hear what half of this folks here are saying or asking how to get visas to even places you won't believe!! Some are even and still crying foul about the disqualification of nigeria in the US DV lottery even though we've reached our limit. You know what? Ara ga gba ndi ara! What'a h€££!

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Lucasbalo(m): 4:26am On Oct 05, 2013
prince_onx:
. Thanks my man. I realize I made a mistake and so was Emeka too. He said some ugly things to me too. I apologize to him in good faith and I hope he accepted it. Once again, thank you.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:27am On Oct 05, 2013
smh. Visit DC. this is the end of this conversation.

prince_onx:
This is exactly why me and you are here having this conversation! I don't live or close to the ghetto! And I don't have one closer than atleast 20mnts from me! Might be 2,5mnts for others that's them! America is not the same for everybody so no body especially those that it didn't favor should not discourage anybody especially someone that is suffering in Nigeria not to come to US if they have the opportunity. And like you said, homeless people live or stay Mnts from the WhiteHouse!! That's America for you! Can that ever happen in Nigeria/Abuja? Minutes from Aso rock? I don't think so! Not with the way states in Nigeria are deporting people to their states!
Guy! to live for America no be by force oh! You cant claim you don't eat beans but eat Akara or moimoi!!! If you don't like it here or can't make it here! Try other places or better still go back naija!! You can't live abroad and condemn it and also discourage people from coming yet you no wan leave!

Visit the travel section when you can and read/hear what half of this folks here are saying or asking how to get visas to even places you won't believe!! Some are even and still crying foul about the disqualification of nigeria in the US DV lottery even though we've reached our limit. You know what? Ara ga gba ndi ara! What'a h€££!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:28am On Oct 05, 2013
Tinyemeka:
OP didn't say "Don't come". He said "Prepare your mind. These are things you might see when you come" They are two different things.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 4:38am On Oct 05, 2013
bootlegaz:
Guy E be like say you be Bipolar, I swear. You're making Shymexx sound truthful grin grin

You're sick, you couldn't find where I said I was starting business three years ago, now this... abeg waka comot for my face jor...nansense

What's my business with Shymexx

You have to call him because you can't defend yourself,

Leave Shymmex out of your mouth, tryna start shitt,

Biko ga front jor, stay out of my lane..

bootlegaz: Manny4life, those imprisoned in United States, who takes care of their medical bill? Dude if you don't know anything about US health system I would advise you keep quiet. Again, anyone can seek help in a Hospital in the United States without question asked and I choose not to be deceived by some one living in Virginia today, Lekki the next week.

You're talking about the penal system, are you drunk? My taxes goes to the federal and state penal system, what the fvck are u ranting about? The argument: you made a FALSE allusion that a poor man can go to the same hospital GEJ goes to and you're here yarning dust... You need help, go for psychiatric evaluation. I gave you a direct link from Kaiser Permanente stating that more than half of the hospitals in the U.S. reject ER patients, again, wtf are you ranting about na? You need help interpreting it?

No be me talk say I live for Lekki, na Billionynaire talk am...Stop acting silly bro... I live in VA and heck I haven't asked for your help or your opinion, where I move to is none of your business, if I can afford it, it's my business not yours. If I cannot afford it kwa nu, it's still my business and not yours, so you need not worry about getting deceived. I have no intentions of deceiving anyone, after all, I previously stated that I don't have issues with the U.S. but the system is what I'm beefing and now I know better after being well informed. So again, save your hail mary holy speech for someone who cares and stay out my lane.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by anonimi: 4:47am On Oct 05, 2013
Tinyemeka:

He does not need to recant and I believe he has replied that he is not recanting.

The OP is clear about his objective with this thread- balance out the GLOSSED UP, LARGELY UNREALISTIC image of America that is held by most Nigerians. He has achieved that objective and many wise people who have followed the thread are very grateful for the PATRIOTIC service he has rendered to his fellow Nigerians without being obliged to do so.
Many who think in the SIMPLEX mode and need to be spoon-fed everything like babies will not (or refuse) to understand and benefit from the expose.

Once again thanks to the OP for what obviously is the manifestation of his labour of love.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Tinyemeka(m): 4:51am On Oct 05, 2013
Tinyemeka:
OP didn't say "Don't come". He meant "Prepare your mind. These are things you might see when you come" They are two different things.
However, @Ozo Emeka, I must admit that if your intent was to show the true picture of things in the US, then your attempt was a biased one. The opening pages of this thread were filled with pictures of ghettos and the severe gaps between the affluent and the homeless, obviously living side by side.
You said the US is not all about gloom and doom.
Where are the success stories? The happy pictures (and I am not talking literarily)?

Where is the balance you talk about?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 4:51am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: smh. Visit DC. this is the end of this conversation.

And see what in DC ?
Majority of homeless people on the streets of down town America are the mentally ill who refuse treatment,substance abusers and chronic alcoholics
That is a fact
Majority of the ones in LA are runaways drawn to the lure of Hollywood
There are homeless shelters in America and some stay there and those who can't abide by the rules of keeping off drugs cannot stay
Paint the real picture please.
The Nigerians looking to emigrate are usually college graduates not drug addicts and drunks
So telling them about homeless americans without showing them that majority of Nigerians here are doing well is being deceptive
That is what many are trying to get across
You are peddling lies and half truths

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by iamdrfresh: 4:52am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: Oh...But do the "naija boys" seeking "opportunity" know this?

Will a Nigerian boy who hustled his way out of nigerian likely end up in a "white neighborhood"? and even if he does, will he welcomed with open arms? Does he know what he is facing when he LEAVES NIGERIA, where he is A FREE MAN? Does he know he will be CLASSED as a black man? Does he know that if he lives in NY police can frisk him anytime and send him to jail? No. He thinks the America on TV = America of real life NOT knowing that the Americans on TV are the uppities. The group that are apologetic are the nigerian hip hop artists/actors WHO see "american rappers" and want to look, act, dress and talk like them!

MEANWHILE blacks in America who are GOING UP, are dissociating from the pictures of blacks in fitted hats, Nigerians are GRABBING what Americans are discarding as BACKWARD culture....SMH

letz hpe they c dz nd change their minds
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:55am On Oct 05, 2013
smh. Are NLers above 7? It feels like I literally need to spell out

The objective of the thread is to BALANCE out the nuances of TV. I.e THe OBVIOUS delusions people have from TV. This is not a TOUR GUIDE to the US

Tinyemeka:
However, @Ozo Emeka, I must admit that if your intent was to show the true picture of things in the US, then your attempt was a biased one. The opening pages of this thread were filled with pictures of ghettos and the severe gaps between the affluent and the homeless, obviously living side by side.
You said the US is not all about gloom and doom.
Where are the success stories? The happy pictures (and I am not talking literarily)?

Where is the balance you talk about?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Tinyemeka(m): 4:56am On Oct 05, 2013
anonimi:

He does not need to recant and I believe he has replied that he is not recanting.
The OP is clear about his objective with this thread- balance out the GLOSSED UP, LARGELY UNREALISTIC image of America that is held by most Nigerians. He has achieved that objective and many wise people who have followed the thread are very grateful for the PATRIOTIC service he has rendered to his fellow Nigerians without being obliged to do so.
Many who think in the SIMPLEX mode and need to be spoon-fed everything like babies will not (or refuse) to understand and benefit from the expose.

Once again thanks to the OP for what obviously is the manifestation of his labour of love.

The "glossed up" images I am aware of, are the flashy cars, houses and cash being thrown around when those Nigerians come home during holidays. Are they all fake? Aren't there much successful Nigerians in the US?
And must you be born there or have parents wealthy enough to sponsor you to Ivy League colleges before you can really make it there?

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (35) (Reply)

Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban / I Finally Stepped Out Of The House After Two More Months Of Quarantine (photos) / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78