Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. (11681 Views)

Car Cranks But Wont Start / Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. / Car Takes Time To Start (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 30, 2013
Just last week, on a long 5hour road trip, i stopped for snacks, after snacking up, i started the car, the battery and kick starter responded but it didnt start. The first key turn early in the morning starts the car but this behaviour is displayed in the afternoons or after some 30 minutes or an hour on the road. I will have to wait like 3 minutes before it starts..

Could this be my injector or fuel pump ?
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 30, 2013
Its the kick...... It usually starts like this, if its not worked on, it worsens. And it might even get to the point where the kick might not respond but u'ld here a clicking sound when you turn....

Find some time and work on it, don't let anyone touch ur injector.... Once they tamper with the settings, it might cost you much to get the right settings....
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by Ikenna351(m): 9:55am On Sep 30, 2013
The speed of the crank will tell you if starter is the culprit or not. If the crank speed is ok, look elsewhere..
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by nissparts(m): 1:20pm On Sep 30, 2013
Depending on the car/model, it could also point to crank/cam sensor issues
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by cardoctor(m): 9:00am On Oct 03, 2013
Ikenna351: Correct name is Starter, not "Kick starter".

The speed of the crank will tell you if starter is the culprit or not. If the crank speed is ok, look elsewhere.

Ikenna.

@Ikenna
Correct name is "Starter Motor" not "starter". No kill me o grin

@Okpara ugo
Your fuel pump or your fuel pressure governor could be the problem. Most delayed start ups (especially if all other conditions are ok) is usually caused by the fuel pump either being weak in delivering the appropriate pressure until you have done several cranks of the engine or the fuel pressure governor not retaining pressure within the fuel rail after engine has been switched off.

Its also possible that in previous repairs or change to the fuel pump on your car that a technician may have used jubilee clips to hold the fuel lines together. This process could also constrict the fuel lines and hinder the fuel supply so have the fuel lines checked too.

Have these 3 things checked out.

Here are some pics from a BMW 3 series that encountered the same issue.

Car-Doctor.

Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 03, 2013
car doctor, you be real doctor....

even car way get HIV go well for your workshop...

an electrician opened the injector divider and we noticed the fuel pump was not delivering enough pressure to supply fuel to engine...

he did some stuff under my 98 sienna and it started responding... after 2days the malady is back. I did my first fuel pump change 3 months ago.

though my real electrician has not handled it. I worked it roadside....
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by Ikenna351(m): 9:45pm On Oct 04, 2013
car-doctor:

@Ikenna
Correct name is "Starter Motor" not "starter". No kill me o grin

Car-Doctor.

It would be nice that you make sure the person you are correcting is wrong before you do so.

My ZN3J Engine workshop manual and Electrical workshop manual named it "Starter". Of all the French car forums I belong to, Starter is the word we use.

Americans would call theirs Brake Booster, while French name theirs Brake servo. Americans call theirs Serpentine belt, while French call theirs Auxiliary belt.

You were not wrong, neither was I.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by sultaan(m): 10:42pm On Oct 04, 2013
okpara ugo: car doctor, you be real doctor....

even car way get HIV go well for your workshop...

an electrician opened the injector divider and we noticed the fuel pump was not delivering enough pressure to supply fuel to engine...

he did some stuff under my 98 sienna and it started responding... after 2days the malady is back. I did my first fuel pump change 3 months ago.

though my real electrician has not handled it. I worked it roadside....

You have answered your problem' since they have messed with the fuel system you need to get that fixed first then measure the pressure at fuel rail
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by chucky234(m): 12:26pm On Oct 07, 2013
Ikenna351:

It would be nice that you make sure the person you are correcting is wrong before you do so.

My ZN3J Engine workshop manual and Electrical workshop manual named it "Starter". Of all the French car forums I belong to, Starter is the word we use.

Americans would call theirs Brake Booster, while French name theirs Brake servo. Americans call theirs Serpentine belt, while French call theirs Auxiliary belt.

You were not wrong, neither was I.

Ikenna.
When two elephants fight its the ground that suffer,but when two car gurus fight its the thread that suffer while car enthusiats embroaden their car knowledge.
@Car Doctor & Ikenna , you guys are both right.
I personally calls it "STARTER" without adding motor to it.
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by sultaan(m): 3:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
Calling Ikenna Elephant, the man is as skinny as they come no extra luggage grin
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 27, 2013
Sorted out. Fuel pump is in good shape.

A sensor under the ignition section is not responding. A junction at the fuel pump section under the car is having partial contact...
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by Nobody: 9:54am On Nov 28, 2013
okpara ugo: Sorted out. Fuel pump is in good shape.

A sensor under the ignition section is not responding. A junction at the fuel pump section under the car is having partial contact...
Am I missing something? I can't see the make/model of the car in question mentioned in the thread. The "98 sienna" referred to appears to be in a different context.
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 28, 2013
Costee:
Am I missing something? I can't see the make/model of the car in question mentioned in the thread. The "98 sienna" referred to appears to be in a different context.

Yes, 1998 toyota sienna, made in japan...
Re: My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. by sultaan(m): 12:38am On Dec 01, 2013
Before you do anything else put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner.

You can confirm my theory by turning your key to acc 3 times before you start the car if it start once then the injector cleaner should help reduce problem

(1) (Reply)

Pay Attention To Your Car Radiator. How To Maintain The Radiator Properly / Nigerian Used Cars We Can Buy With 300k / Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Brake Pads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.