Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,907 members, 7,821,149 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja (11757 Views)

Sharepoint Study Group Anyone? / Hyper-v Deployment : Support, Study Group, Contracts / Looking For Repair And Maintenance Person For Photocopier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 8:58am On Sep 08, 2014
Skywalker5: @Mellorix

Do you have the power-shell scripts (break/verify scripts) for VSphere troubleshooting manual ?

I use and tweak samples from the below link

http://www.virtu-al.net/script-list/
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 6:26am On Sep 09, 2014
Mellorix:

I use and tweak samples from the below link

http://www.virtu-al.net/script-list/

Thanks. I guess I'll modify the script also.nice site with cool scripts.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 11:25am On Sep 15, 2014
Hi Mellorix,

Just been given a project to deploy SCCM 2012 to monitor software updates. I was wondering if you have experience with that and what are the best practices you have seen when managing computers using SCCM? How do you test your updates?
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 12:06pm On Sep 15, 2014
Skywalker5: Hi Mellorix,
Just been given a project to deploy SCCM 2012 to monitor software updates. I was wondering if you have experience with that and what are the best practices you have seen when managing computers using SCCM? How do you test your updates?

Ok. So I actively used SCCM 2007 for Software update which was kind of fun. Anyways moving up to 2012 .However, I assume you already have SCCM 2012 Installed in your environment – if not oh well then you will have more work to do. Get an SCCM Lab set up.
WSUS will be used for Pulling all the Updates and metadata from Microsoft as a requirement for SCCM Software updates.

Your question is kinda broad – but if you have any issues while implementing SUS for sccm let me know ill be happy to help.

For best practice, I use the below forum a lot - they are some good guys there for SCCM. I also use Technet – (the turnaround is marvellous)
http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/forum/44-system-center-configuration-manager/
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 1:45pm On Sep 15, 2014
Mellorix:

Ok. So I actively used SCCM 2007 for Software update which was kind of fun. Anyways moving up to 2012 .However, I assume you already have SCCM 2012 Installed in your environment – if not oh well then you will have more work to do. Get an SCCM Lab set up.
WSUS will be used for Pulling all the Updates and metadata from Microsoft as a requirement for SCCM Software updates.

Your question is kinda broad – but if you have any issues while implementing SUS for sccm let me know ill be happy to help.

For best practice, I use the below forum a lot - they are some good guys there for SCCM. I also use Technet – (the turnaround is marvellous)
http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/forum/44-system-center-configuration-manager/

I'll definitely been asking you load of questions. I will have to get it installed and configured in a production environment.Will be setting it up on my lab at home this weekend though. Currently studying train signal for it.

I have always used WSUS in my previous work place and it was supporting a user of about 160 so i just was relaxed with updates and the network was simple for me but where i am not is about 200 servers so i need to implement best practice and no room for error and this time, i have to implement SCCM. My question was how do you test updates? Do you create a test server and install the update there and see if its perfect or you just deploy and pray that it does not mess things up.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 2:17pm On Sep 15, 2014
Skywalker5:

I'll definitely been asking you load of questions. I will have to get it installed and configured in a production environment.Will be setting it up on my lab at home this weekend though. Currently studying train signal for it.

I have always used WSUS in my previous work place and it was supporting a user of about 160 so i just was relaxed with updates and the network was simple for me but where i am not is about 200 servers so i need to implement best practice and no room for error and this time, i have to implement SCCM. My question was how do you test updates? Do you create a test server and install the update there and see if its perfect or you just deploy and pray that it does not mess things up.

Yes - we have hmmmm 4 days period of testing updates. for example. Server Updates, Desktop updates. (We have 2 windows server that is not critical - so what i do is deploy to these 2 servers first and monitor the patch. if all is fine then i deploy to the rest servers. same thing with the desktops.)

Have a look at the below - anyways keep the questions coming if u need any help smiley

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh692394.aspx

http://www.acupofit.com/2013/08/sccm-how-to-structure-software-updates.html
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 2:55pm On Sep 15, 2014
Mellorix:

Yes - we have hmmmm 4 days period of testing updates. for example. Server Updates, Desktop updates. (We have 2 windows server that is not critical - so what i do is deploy to these 2 servers first and monitor the patch. if all is fine then i deploy to the rest servers. same thing with the desktops.)

Have a look at the below - anyways keep the questions coming if u need any help smiley

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh692394.aspx

http://www.acupofit.com/2013/08/sccm-how-to-structure-software-updates.html

Wow. thanks for acupofit.com. Thats exactly what i want. I love the idea of application owners are responsible for the reboot of servers and patches should be once a month. The dreaded patch Tuesday.

how do you access your lab when you are away or maybe from work? Do you use pertino? seems cool as i need to access my lab from work now.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 10:07am On Sep 16, 2014
Skywalker5:

Wow. thanks for acupofit.com. Thats exactly what i want. I love the idea of application owners are responsible for the reboot of servers and patches should be once a month. The dreaded patch Tuesday.

how do you access your lab when you are away or maybe from work? Do you use pertino? seems cool as i need to access my lab from work now.

Oh nice I haven't tried pertino. how good is it?
I use teamviewer and it's working really ok for me so far. And I can remote to my lab with my iPad aswell while on lunch (I think that is epic ) lol
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 11:47am On Sep 16, 2014
Mellorix:

Oh nice I haven't tried pertino. how good is it?
I use teamviewer and it's working really ok for me so far. And I can remote to my lab with my iPad aswell while on lunch (I think that is epic ) lol

I am at work now and currently logged on to my lab at home through RDP. All i did was install pertino on both devices and they bot get a public IP address. Its free for up to 3 devices.Looks really cool and easy to setup.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 2:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
Got a few questions about SCCM 2012

1) If i am deploying SCCM 2012. is SQL 2012 STANDARD part of my SCCM license. Microsoft licensing PDF is not straight forward.

2) Can i deploy all on one server.i mean SCCM,SQL Server and WSUS? currently struggling to configure WSUS on the same servers as SCCM and SQL.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 2:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
Skywalker5: Got a few questions about SCCM 2012

1) If i am deploying SCCM 2012. is SQL 2012 STANDARD part of my SCCM license. Microsoft licensing PDF is not straight forward.

2) Can i deploy all on one server.i mean SCCM,SQL Server and WSUS? currently struggling to configure WSUS on the same servers as SCCM and SQL.

I am designing a new forum for basically techi questions and solutions.This will provide free IT support solutions to Nigerians. We could create a thread on this discussion there. What do you think?

www.computerhant.com

Anyways, on your question - Firstly, are you deploying a Lab environment? or a production environment. In a Lab enviroment i can get all the applications on one server - No big deal. But in a production enviroment i wouldnt advice that.

Having said the above, I Used sql Express for mine because it is a small deployment. Have a look at the below video - it is very helpful - (but no sound anyways)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alQRcfpKKmQ

I will try to bring up my SCCM 2012 Vmware Lab to life so we could exchange ideas and issues if need be.

Cheers.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 3:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
Mellorix:

I am designing a new forum for basically techi questions and solutions.This will provide free IT support solutions to Nigerians. We could create a thread on this discussion there. What do you think?

www.computerhant.com

Cheers.

That sounds cool. Would be nice to speak to IT pros in Nigeria and how they are handling the infrastructure there. Good move.

1 Like

Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by ptoall1000: 8:48pm On Apr 15, 2015
pls what is happening to this thread.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 4:34pm On Apr 17, 2015
ptoall1000:
well -- we are still here smiley
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 5:05pm On Apr 17, 2015
ptoall1000:

Everyone has been busy i guess.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by ptoall1000: 6:46pm On Apr 17, 2015
I'm having problems installing red hat enterprise 7. 1 on a pc running win 8. I actually plan to flush out win 8, but I can't get any way out of it. I can't find my iso (which is on CD) during the installation.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 12:35pm On Apr 20, 2015
Mellorix:

well -- we are still here smiley

Mellorix, what's up. How are things going in the IT world? what've u been up to? I can see you started an IT company in Nigeria. Are u based there now?
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 7:09pm On Apr 20, 2015
Skywalker5:

Mellorix, what's up. How are things going in the IT world? what've u been up to? I can see you started an IT company in Nigeria. Are u based there now?

Working on Hyper V and Cisco now and Little Vmware . (I would rather email you privately on my personal updates)

Anyways on the technical side - what have you been up to?
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 7:39pm On Apr 20, 2015
Mellorix:

Working on Hyper V and Cisco now and Little Vmware . (I would rather email you privately on my personal updates)

Anyways on the technical side - what have you been up to?

Technically, i am currently working on SCCM 2012 and Office365 including Project Server.SCCM is really a fun application. Just did the 70-243 SCCM exam 3 weeks ago. Little VMware? what happened? You are the VExpert. why are you now loving Microsoft?
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 11:29pm On Apr 20, 2015
Skywalker5:

Technically, i am currently working on SCCM 2012 and Office365 including Project Server.SCCM is really a fun application. Just did the 70-243 SCCM exam 3 weeks ago. Little VMware? what happened? You are the VExpert. why are you now loving Microsoft?

Yea SCCM is a beast! I did the 70-243 Exam some years back.. i think 2013 mayb . Really cool but because its too robust - one can get lost on the way. I then needed it for a project i was working on at that time. Multiple location deployment Windows 7.

and hmmm about Hyper V well i want to know the best of both worlds if i can - it gives me more Opportunity .
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 8:48am On Apr 21, 2015
Mellorix:

Yea SCCM is a beast! I did the 70-243 Exam some years back.. i think 2013 mayb . Really cool but because its too robust - one can get lost on the way. I then needed it for a project i was working on at that time. Multiple location deployment Windows 7.

and hmmm about Hyper V well i want to know the best of both worlds if i can - it gives me more Opportunity .

Multiple location deployment Windows 7? Wow. I have not reached that stage yet. Currently using it to deploy applications ans manage windows updates.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Tunee(m): 9:54pm On May 20, 2015
Whats up with the Vmware study group. I contacted the op but his number is not going through. I guess everyone has parted ways smiley I would like the group to be resurrected, whoever's interested should comment.

The programming guys are faring much better; I went to a place in Abuja, Enspire incubator.its a nice place but its majorly for programmers/developers. They come together to share ideas, work on projects and also network.

Hopefully one day there might be a group like that for Sysadmins/Ops, Virtualization/cloud infrastructure architects. I think its easier for the developers because they don't really need much to start up a group unlike others who need some form of infrastructure setup(Servers, storage,networks, etc). There are only two active people in this thread;that sums up how interested people are in VMware technologies. Even the Cisco threads are doing much better embarassed. Pls let us share our opinions/suggestions on how to keep this thread alive
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by ptoall1000: 5:28pm On Jun 03, 2015
Im here o guys. I started the thread under my old account. Im not even sure i remember the passowrd again. I will try. i lost interest in vmstuff because my job took to another lane. I currently need it now. My new job schedule requires it. Does anyone know how i can get a free version of Vshere.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 7:55am On Jun 06, 2015
Tunee:
Whats up with the Vmware study group. I contacted the op but his number is not going through. I guess everyone has parted ways smiley I would like the group to be resurrected, whoever's interested should comment.

The programming guys are faring much better; I went to a place in Abuja, Enspire incubator.its a nice place but its majorly for programmers/developers. They come together to share ideas, work on projects and also network.

Hopefully one day there might be a group like that for Sysadmins/Ops, Virtualization/cloud infrastructure architects. I think its easier for the developers because they don't really need much to start up a group unlike others who need some form of infrastructure setup(Servers, storage,networks, etc). There are only two active people in this thread;that sums up how interested people are in VMware technologies. Even the Cisco threads are doing much better embarassed. Pls let us share our opinions/suggestions on how to keep this thread alive

I am still very much active here - Let me know if you require any advice or deployment and ill gladly help - i am already VCP certified ( funny this is i just recieved an email last few weeks that my certificate will expire soon lol - i didnt know vmware certs expires. )

anyways i need to renew my cert - thats some real hardcore studying again.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 7:58am On Jun 06, 2015
ptoall1000:
Im here o guys. I started the thread under my old account. Im not even sure i remember the passowrd again. I will try. i lost interest in vmstuff because my job took to another lane. I currently need it now. My new job schedule requires it. Does anyone know how i can get a free version of Vshere.

You can use the trail.. see link below

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/6_0

You can download all you need here - they give about 60 Days trail or so. but i dont mind (i always rebuild my lab after 60 Days) So a big learning for me every 60 days lol
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 10:20am On Jun 06, 2015
What's up Mellorix, have you used SCOM before? I will be deploying SCCM and SCOM on a new server infrastructure soon. i understand SCCM well but still learning SCOM but i need someone experienced in SCOM for best practice and what they have experienced when managing SCOM.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by ptoall1000: 3:02pm On Jun 06, 2015
Thank you guys for keeping the thread going. I need to set up a lab also. What device is good to set it up. I will like at least 6 vmware Esxi. How effectivr is the Shuttle box barebone that was mentioned on this thread?
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 6:28pm On Jun 06, 2015
Skywalker5:
What's up Mellorix, have you used SCOM before? I will be deploying SCCM and SCOM on a new server infrastructure soon. i understand SCCM well but still learning SCOM but i need someone experienced in SCOM for best practice and what they have experienced when managing SCOM.

Hello Skywalker5 Long time, i have seen it before but not installed SCOM - but its just a monitoring tool. if you know SCCM Very well. then SCOM would be a piece of cake. All that is needed is your lab. (i have seen Orion work thats the equivalent to SCOM.) I see you are doing more infrastructure jobs these days .. are you contracting?

ptoall1000:
Thank you guys for keeping the thread going. I need to set up a lab also. What device is good to set it up. I will like at least 6 vmware Esxi. How effectivr is the Shuttle box barebone that was mentioned on this thread?

@ptoall1000 - I used the shuttle box - and its brilliant - you can have up to 6 HOSTs - No problem - just have at least 32GB Ram and your box will be flying. The advice i will give you is take a sheet of paper and draw out the network design and ip addressing. After than you can then kick on with the practical. This is always my approach - even in production environment. Let me know if you have any specific questions .

Cheers guys!
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Skywalker5(m): 7:18pm On Jun 06, 2015
Mellorix:

Hello Skywalker5 Long time, i have seen it before but not installed SCOM - but its just a monitoring tool. if you know SCCM Very well. then SCOM would be a piece of cake. All that is needed is your lab. (i have seen Orion work thats the equivalent to SCOM.) I see you are doing more infrastructure jobs these days .. are you contracting?

not contracting.I got a very good role.The company is trying to move from Vmware and novell to hyper V and Azure so I got recruited to help with office365 and managing Microsoft aspect so I have to implement System center on the estate.

Since your last visit to Nigeria,how is the Nigerian industry in terms of IT Infrastructure? All i hear is mobile phones and laptops when they talk technology in Nigeria. Are there options for Managed service providers? There are lot of technologies and practices i am getting involved in and i feel it will be good for industries in Nigeria.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by ptoall1000: 10:35pm On Jun 06, 2015
@Mellorix, I will really need ur help in setting up the Shuttle guy. Could u help me check for a good one and send the link. My budget is about £300. Let me also know the accessories I need to buy along side. I 've tried to set up VM machines on my laptop. It hangs everytime.
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Tunee(m): 8:29pm On Jun 07, 2015
Skywalker5:

not contracting.I got a very good role.The company is trying to move from Vmware and novell to hyper V and Azure so I got recruited to help with office365 and managing Microsoft aspect so I have to implement System center on the estate.

Since your last visit to Nigeria,how is the Nigerian industry in terms of IT Infrastructure? All i hear is mobile phones and laptops when they talk technology in Nigeria. Are there options for Managed service providers? There are lot of technologies and practices i am getting involved in and i feel it will be good for industries in Nigeria.

I am also interested in managed services (though i'm a beginner in IT) but the technology adoption in Nigeria is low. From the little i've read about managed services, they mostly provide services to SMBs but here in Nigeria, SMBs can't afford to invest in IT infrastructure.

The few MSPs that i know in Nigeria support Banks, Telecom companies and the likes. From my own assessment, the demand for managed services is quite low at the moment but i'm pretty optimistic the situation will improve soon
Re: Any Interested Person For Vmware Study Group In Abuja by Mellorix: 8:32am On Jun 08, 2015
Skywalker5:

Oh that's nice - I like getting my hands dirty with technology of that sort. ( you are really advancing in your career i guess) . I am in Nigeria at the moment though and the technology area here is amazing - not like what u used to know years back. For example - I implemented Office 365 for a new company -( they had about 60 Staff) I didn't want to include a customized Login screen - so i didn't use Azure. ( The subscription was just "Business essential" which is about $5 per user.) - Did the deployment in a day ( I was happy and the client was happy lol ).

The thing is - if you are not in the Nigerian space - you really wont know what is obtainable . (Thats just my observation - and assumption is not good at all).

Tunee:

I am also interested in managed services (though i'm a beginner in IT) but the technology adoption in Nigeria is low. From the little i've read about managed services, they mostly provide services to SMBs but here in Nigeria, SMBs can't afford to invest in IT infrastructure.
The few MSPs that i know in Nigeria support Banks, Telecom companies and the likes. From my own assessment, [b]the demand for managed services is quite low [/b]at the moment but i'm pretty optimistic the situation will improve soon

How did you come to this conclusion ?? @Tunee - There are men in Nigeria eating these money and making alot from it with in IT Sector . For example , there was a water project by the government in port Harcourt (Something about purifying water in Port Harcourt) , They needed someone or a body to setup IT for their offices . (Well do you want to imagine how much this will cost - hmm i dont lol ) I honestly think its how you market your self when it comes to the Nigerian market . In nigeria - i think God will only help you if you stand up from that seat and move.

ptoall1000:
@Mellorix, I will really need ur help in setting up the Shuttle guy. Could u help me check for a good one and send the link. My budget is about £300. Let me also know the accessories I need to buy along side. I 've tried to set up VM machines on my laptop. It hangs everytime.

Sir, 300 Quid will not even go far to buy the Processor and hard drive. I dont want to discourage you but i spent about 750-850 for a full fleshed Lab environment (thats including double monitors). One thing i will advice you is to use a laptop with at Least 8GB( Or 16GB) most laptops are up-gradable.
The next thing is change your hard drive from HDD to SSD. You will be surprised the performance difference. For SSD, the disk doesn't have to spin to read - this will greatly increase the I/O. I was using 250GB SSD hard drive and 8GB Ram on my sony laptop ( with i3 intel Processor ) and it was running very ok! i could practice almost everything VMware with it . Let me know if you need any guardian

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Retrieve My Lost Files? / Cybera: The Best (free & Open Source) Cybercafe Software I Have Found So Far. / Zinox Bios

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.