Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

1960: A Curse Or A Blessing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1960: A Curse Or A Blessing (2831 Views)

Nnamdi Azikiwe As Nigeria Celebrated Independence Day In 1960 - Throwback Photos / Photos: Nigerian Heads Of State From Independence Till Date (1960-2014) / Is Oil A Curse Or A Blessing To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

1960: A Curse Or A Blessing by DonaldYusuf(m): 7:37am On Oct 01, 2013
Recently I was having a conversation with an elderly man here in Abuja, the conversation later moved to the issue of Nigeria. The man made a statement that has remained in my head for a while. He said “the problem with Nigeria is that we got our independence too early”. I have been analyzing this statement to see if there is any truth to it.

Also, I have heard people say “there is nothing to celebrate about Nigeria’s independence anniversary, which is being marked today”.
No doubt the country has faced lots of challenges since independence, and we are still facing even more today, but I think there is still a reason to celebrate our independence. The fact that we are still together as a country despite all the attempts at splitting the country is worth celebrating.

I wanted to believe the statement made by my elderly friend, but again I thought when would have been the right time for Nigeria’s independence? Is independence really our problem? I don’t think so!

The People’s Republic of China was founded on October 1, 1949, that is eleven years before Nigeria’s independence. Today china is regarded as the world’s factory with a booming economy where everything seems to be working. Was china’s independence too early?
My mind also went to Singapore who got her independence from Malaysia on August 9th, 1965. That is just five years after Nigeria’s own independence. Singapore is today a successful country with a strong economy, with a booming education and tourism sectors.

If these two countries; China and Singapore can rise from independence to become great Nations, then Nigeria can do same.
Our founding fathers had a dream for Nigeria. They had a dream of a prosperous and great nation, hence their struggle for independence. When the Union Jack was lowered and the Green White banner of Nigeria hoisted in its place, hope for the achievement of this dream was birthed. But our present “positional” leaders of today have killed that hope and dream. Today the Nigerian dream does not exist.

The problem of Nigeria is NOT its attainment of independence, but the irresponsibility and insensitivity of its leaders. Our leaders need to change their perception of leadership and actually deliver leadership.

It is true that Nigeria is faced with lots of challenges, but we must not lose hope. We must bring back the Nigerian dream by believing more in the “project Nigeria”. Nigeria can and will overcome all its challenges if we the people of this potential great nation take it upon ourselves to make it work. The destiny of Nigeria is in the hands of Nigerians. I believe in Nigeria!!!

Happy 53rd independence anniversary to all Nigerians!
God bless Nigeria.
-Donald Ngbede Yusuf
Re: 1960: A Curse Or A Blessing by Tochiokafor: 8:11pm On Nov 20, 2013
Hello Donald, i have taken time to peruse through some of your writings and i must celebrate your entrepreneurial wisdom. I reside in Abuja too. i will like connect with you, so that we can further our relationship. email me ur number so that i can give u a call: nagsearch@gmail.com. kind regards.

(1) (Reply)

Revealed: Okonjo Iweala Got Kick-backs Over Paris Club Debt Deal / Ebola Fever Hits Aso Rock! See Patience Jonathan’s Ebola Greeting Style / A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.