Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light (23741 Views)

Military Arrests Boko Haram Chief-Cameraman Alongside Other 2 Suspects(pics / Timipre Sylva's Convoy Obeying Traffic Light As He Arrives Yenagoa (Photos) / Photos: Buhari's Convoy Obeying Traffic Rules. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by KiksAsso: 9:44am On Oct 01, 2013
October 1, 2013 by Adelani Adepegba Abuja

3 Comments

Three policemen on Sunday night assaulted a PUNCH photojournalist, Sam Adeko, in Abuja for obeying a traffic light.

Adeko, who was driving a Honda Accord car, had stopped for the red light opposite Unity Bank headquartres along Herbert Macaulay Way, Central Business District, Abuja, when the three policemen in a pick-up van marked E-5 assaulted him for observing the traffic rule.

The policemen, who were attached to Total Nigeria Plc headquarters, stopped beside him and one of them came down and hit him with his rifle and threatened to shoot him for not disregarding traffic light because the road was free.

Adeko said, “The red light countdown was on 11 seconds when the police van stopped beside me and three armed policemen jumped down. One of them slapped me and shoved his rifle to my neck, asking why I stopped for the red light when the road was free.

“I tried to explain that the traffic light stopped me, but he slapped me again and threatened to shoot me. The driver of the police vehicle, however, prevailed on him not to shoot. The three policemen abused and said nasty things to me before they drove off. I didn’t know it is now a crime to obey traffic light in Abuja.”

Adeko explained that he had reported the incident to the Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, who promised to identify the errant policemen and take disciplinary action against them.

Our correspondent visited Total Nigeria Plc headquartres on Monday to identify the policemen, but it was another set of officers that were on duty.

A policeman at the company’s gate pleaded with our correspondent “to leave the matter to God”, noting that the abusive policemen would meet their waterloo soon.

When contacted, Mba promised to investigate the incident

http://www.punchng.com/metro/policemen-assault-punchman-for-obeying-traffic-light/
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 01, 2013
WLCM TO NIGERIA

11 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by malc619(m): 10:04am On Oct 01, 2013
Oga Punch.. You never see anything!!

2 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 01, 2013
Leave the matter for God o

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by donguutti: 10:13am On Oct 01, 2013
Why would you obey traffic rules,you are spoiling the day for the cops.if you had flouted the red lights,other drivers would follow,the police would chase and nab all of you and 5k each would be given as 'traffic light offence fine'.

Its independence day ,policemen also need to celebrate,next time dont be so righteous and selfish

24 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by dejijohns(m): 10:17am On Oct 01, 2013
Lol... D guy spoil market 4 d policemen, dey jst simply wnts 2mak moni frm traffic offender..

2 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by otokx(m): 10:44am On Oct 01, 2013
Nigeria is a wonderful country.

2 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Joyfullyme: 11:14am On Oct 01, 2013
Read this story again this man never talk wetin happen well.

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by BabaEleko(m): 11:58am On Oct 01, 2013
otokx: Nigeria is a wonderful country.

Yeah! Full of wonders.
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by KiksAsso: 5:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nigeria is in deed, a peculiar Nation.

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by BlackPeni5: 5:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
Punch newspaper literarily receiving a real life punch from the NPF

9 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by meforyou1(m): 5:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
Sorry for de-threading. Not in my character. Just want ask why this UN General Assembly meeting is no where I can see. I really want to react to this Isreal PM's address
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by SailorXY: 5:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
Joyfullyme: Read this story again this man never talk wetin happen well.
You think the story is not possible?
I have seen a young guy who just came down from the pedestrian bridge @ Sand-Field Bus Stop Victoria Island being harassed & threatened by common Man O' War for refusing to hand over his bag pack for search. It was a very bizarre situation

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by free2ryhme: 5:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
it is only in this country that you get into trouble for doing the right thing... what a pity undecided

corruption everywhere

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
#hmmmm#clearing my throat, PRESS knows how to paint a story, adding salt and pepper coz it concerns them
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Trut(m): 5:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
I'm too hood to believe this pooo, i have never seen or heard that Police men beat someone for obeying traffic light.
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by gboso1ne(m): 5:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
9ja i hail
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by otijah(m): 5:47pm On Oct 01, 2013
I love my country die, disobey traffic rule u pay fine, obey the rule u receive beaten and assaults hahaha. Confused Nation. ANYWAY STILL LOOKING FOR CARO, HEBAA!!!

2 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by MrChris1(m): 5:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
Event like this makes me think if Celebrating Independence Day is really worth it. Kidnapping on the rampage, corruption still on the rise, little or no Electricity, Bad roads, ASUU Strike every year, High rate of Unemployment, Terrorists killings Spree, Now Police brutality for doing what seems to be right. WHY? GOD HELP US...

4 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by emmabest2000(m): 5:50pm On Oct 01, 2013
9jar full of drammer lol smiley
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
Crazy policemen.
Nigeria's condition is upside down!

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
Imagine and if just shout "thief" you will see d way dey will all run.

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by everyday: 5:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nothing is impossible in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by timpaker(m): 5:54pm On Oct 01, 2013

Typical Nigerians ..... "Leave the matter to God".
Smh

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by rabzy01: 5:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
I am tired of hearing Nigeria police this Nigeria police that. Why not disband this senseless black uniformed corrupt force and come up with a new civilized federal police. Nigeria has enough number of graduates who can be trained in modern day policing. Those who are technology compliant like nairaland's "Policewoman".
Oga Punch photojournalist, nothing will be done to these senseles people by the authorities. They are one and same.

4 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nigeria my country.
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by tellwisdom: 5:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
Police?? ...My name on their mouth has always been TUALE BABA wink

1 Like

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
Ok, happy independence, this is Nigeria
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Kelklein(m): 6:04pm On Oct 01, 2013

7 Likes

Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by Adekar(m): 6:05pm On Oct 01, 2013
uhm. Thank u. Se o so ju e ni . I believe u are not at the scene when it all happened. From ur write up '' 11 seconds'' Omo naija.
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by homesteady(m): 6:06pm On Oct 01, 2013
So police madness don reach like this? shocked
Re: Punch Cameraman Slapped For Obeying Traffic Light by lonelydora: 6:08pm On Oct 01, 2013
I love the part that said, They will meet their Waterloo (BOKO HARAM or Ombatse cultist) someday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan's SURE-P A Monumental Fraud: Tinubu / The State Of Ajeromi LGA Roads(pics) / Don’t Be Agents Of Distraction, Soludo Replies S/east Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.