Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,746 members, 7,844,451 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

President Goodluck Jonathan's Independence Day Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Goodluck Jonathan's Independence Day Speech (487 Views)

What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech / Great Quotes By President Goodluck Jonathan. / Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1)

President Goodluck Jonathan's Independence Day Speech by 9jacollections: 10:59am On Oct 01, 2013

Fellow Nigerians,

1. Today marks 53 years of our Independence as a nation. First and foremost, I would like to say congratulations to us all. Through thick and thin, we have built this country together. Through triumphs and trials, we have developed a Nigerian identity in our own way.

2. In truth, Nigeria is still a work in progress and we are challenged everyday to keep building in spite of the various obstacles that we face. Our strength has been in our diversity. If we look back over the years, we can say confidently that there is every reason to celebrate.

3. Today’s Independence anniversary is unique because it is the last before we mark our centenary. On January 1, 2014, Nigeria will be 100 years old as a country, following the amalgamation of the Protectorates of Southern and Northern Nigeria in 1914.

4. Beloved country men and women, traditionally, the Presidential address on this symbolic day has served two purposes. It has, quite rightly, been used to remind all Nigerians about our heritage. It has also allowed my predecessors and I to comment on our stewardship to the nation and make political capital out of a state occasion.

5. But this year, I will not. Because, today of all days, we should not be scoring political points. On the contrary, in this last year of the first century of our Union, we should be addressing our future as a Nation and a people!

6. I admit that these may not be the best of times for our nation. Our people are divided in many ways – ethnically, religiously, politically, and materially. I cannot hide from this reality. I cannot hide from my own responsibilities.

7. As we prepare to mark the centenary, therefore, today offers us an opportunity to reflect on our long journey to nationhood and the progress we have made so far. Whatever the challenges that we may face, we have every reason to be proud of our national accomplishments; we have every reason to remain proud and optimistic. Our collective national journey has witnessed great watersheds, thanks to our spirit of endurance, perseverance and sacrifice. Getting the rest of the job done with determination and courage is just a matter of time. We are Nigerians, a nation of talented people, endowed with resources, potentials, and Divine Grace....... http://9jacollections.com/president-goodluck-jonathans-independence-day-speech/
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan's Independence Day Speech by Afam4eva(m): 11:24am On Oct 01, 2013

(1)

FG To Complete Payment Of Electricity Workers’ Entitlements By December / ASUU Strike: FG Stops Salaries Of Lecturers / Soldiers Fire On Suspected Ombatse Members, Kill Four

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.