Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,171 members, 7,825,658 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd (3409 Views)

Eko Electricity Company Announces 7-Hour Power Blackout In Lagos. / Blackout Looms Nationwide As Phcn Plans To Shut 5 Power Plants / Blackout Looms As Electricity Workers Threaten To Resume Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Businesslocator(m): 12:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
The already deplorable power situation in the country may worsen as employees of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) have threatened to stop the supply of electricity across the country by October 2 if the federal government goes ahead to handover the assets of the company to private investors today without the conclusion of payment of workers entitlements.

The industrial action follows the expiration of the ultimatum issued by the workers to government to resolve all labour issues ahead of the privatisation of PHCN.

In preparation for the industrial action, the workers will today hold a nationwide protest to alert Nigerians of impending shutdown of the power sector on Wednesday.

Speaking under the umbrella of National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), the union directed its members to withdraw their services from all PHCN installations immediately after the celebration of the nation’s 53 Independence anniversary.

The union, in a statement issued by its secretary, Joe Ajaero, said the industrial action became necessary in view of government refusal to resolve the outstanding labour issues with the workers.

The union said it was particularly disturbed by the statement credited to the Chairman of National Council on Privatisation (NCP), Vice-President Namadi Sambo that government had settled all the labour issues which had impeded the smooth take off of the privatisation programme and the handover to private investors.

The union insisted that the vice-president was either being misled or deliberately keen on emasculating the PHCN workers with a view to further impoverishing them.
It challenged the Office of the Vice-President “to mention any person from his constituency - Kaduna State where he served as governor, who has been paid his entitlement, pension and gratuity.”

The union further alleged governments deployment of military personnel to all PHCN facilities stating that the aim was to ostensibly to allow a forceful takeover of the installations without conclusively settling the labour issues.

It noted that the policy of deploying soldiers to PHCN installations to intimidate workers was “definitely misguided and misdirected as they are directed to creating more tension to already tensed polity.”

The statement read: “For clarity, please note that these issues are outstanding: payments of terminal benefits: payment of the terminal benefits is yet to rise up to 50 per cent for the eligible workers. Non-payment of retirement savings fund to Pension Fund Administrators (PFAs): Up till this moment no efforts has been made to commence payment. The PFAs can attest to this fact. Non-remittance of 2 per cent of the union deductions as agreed: No word has been heard from the BPE/government on remittance of this two person neither has the deductions already made from the paid workers remitted to the unions.”

“Non-payment of retirees who disengaged since 2011: It is absurd and sordid for government not to think of settling these people who laboured over the years in service of this country and get retired meritoriously, while the privatisation exercise was on. Non-regularisation of some of the casuals already identified: With the biometrics done and concluded, it becomes worrisome on the continued delay in regularising the casuals who had been identified based on agreements already entered into. 10 per cent equity shareholding by the workers: In line with the relevant laws, the workers are entitled to 10 per cent Equity Share of the total sale of PHCN. But it appears the government is bent on short changing the workers.”

“The shortfall of terminal benefits from June 2012 till date has not been considered for payment.

“These contending issues cannot be jettisoned by the workers to allow any force to takeover! It behooves us therefore to advise the vice-president and those misguiding him not to toy with the socio-economic lives of PHCN workers, their families and other Nigerians who depend on them for their livelihood. We are set to take our destiny in our hands.

“Because of Independence Day ceremonies, we would be patient to allow for full celebrations.

“However, we hereby urge Nigerians to bear with us if after October 2, the government goes ahead with her illicit handover to the investors and forceful takeover; the implication would be that the workers have technically been asked to withdraw their services and we may not be able to guarantee smooth operations.

Consequently, if after October 2, the Office of the Vice-President fails to correct this misleading information, we shall not guarantee supply of electricity in the country. This is not a threat as our earlier ultimatum has expired.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nationwide-blackout-looms-as-phcn-workers-begin-strike-october-2/160275/
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Waspy(m): 12:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
Aint they on strike already?
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Businesslocator(m): 12:37pm On Oct 01, 2013
Waspy: Aint they on strike already?
light dey ur area?
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
*fresh air everywhere you go* :d
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Waspy(m): 1:05pm On Oct 01, 2013
Businesslocator: light dey ur area?
The only light i'm seeing here is from the sun bro
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 2:19pm On Oct 01, 2013
pls who can sumarize this for me o,
anyway.there is light and current here for my area o.they brought it few minute ago

1 Like

Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 01, 2013
I THINK OUR STRIKE STARTED YESTERNIGHT
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by skyscraperTM(m): 2:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
[size=15pt]GEJ: Make una manage am, na my independence gift be this![/size]
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Aizebioje(m): 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
Mtcheww. Haven't seen PHCN light for the past 48hrz. If they like they let them strike. A striking NEPA isn't too different from a non-striking one anyways!!! Mtchewww
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by realone2012: 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
When are we going on strike on Nairaland please? because thats the new trend in 9ja now.....fwesh air indeed undecided
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Crysallis(m): 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
Strike news are so common in Nigeria now, let them strike as long as NUPENG no strike
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Phikom(m): 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
folks of the underworld called PHCN workers...of what benefit is your service when you aint on strike?
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by homesteady(m): 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
I thought that Government have settled all this people undecided
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by realone2012: 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
AYODEJI4LOVE: pls who can sumarize this for me o,
anyway.there is light and current here for my area o.they brought it few minute ago
Same here bro....
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by gboso1ne(m): 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
Strike or no strike.light no stl dey.anyway i dn book dis space
*NO TRESPASSING*
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Olumidzti(m): 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
Independent blackout hmmm
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by tonte(m): 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
Haven't they been on strike since I was born?
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Crysallis(m): 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
Strike is common these days. So long NUPENG no strike, I am ok
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by matzoro(m): 2:54pm On Oct 01, 2013
i pray dat dis wnt apen... Na d little nepa twinkle whey i bin dey c i dey use dey manage dis ASUU strike...if em strike 2 then na stowaway tins oh!
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 01, 2013
Light bin dey before? undecided

ASUU- strike

ASUP-strike

NARD- strike

PHCN-strike

NAUG- strike (dem dey work?)

In fact, we #ETT crew will soon go on strike angry

1 Like

Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by baffylander(m): 2:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
In as much as i dont like using cuss words and all, i think these bastards should frigging STFU and possibly take a dive in a dry lake..i havent had electricity supply in my house for a week and the generator is on constant overtime yet the bills never fail to come...walahi if i catch una dey protest for my area, na boys go break una legs...monkeys
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
Let em go on strike, The privatization must move forward.. They PHCN has failed woefully it is time to try the private sector because it has always worked out even though costly but nothing is sweeter than getting what you are paying for than paying for something which no one gives you.
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by mrofficial(m): 2:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
I for say wey I never see light today. What a way to celebrate the 53rd independence day.
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by dafoly: 2:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
Strike or no strike we no dey get light before, so wat's d difference?
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by KenJak(m): 2:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
Rubbish! Even before the stupid threat, for the past almost a month now,they've not given us power supply... So? Rubbish... The rubbish threat is none of my business.
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Kelechi2020(m): 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
What is hapening to my country.just today GEJ threatened the senate and reps with a national conference to overide the unusefulness of there misrepresentation to nigerians.
Please i urge nigerians not to turn their annoyance due epileptic power suply in nigeria to phcn staffs because it is nt their fault but the fault of coruption and poor management by the ogas at the top
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by yuncka: 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
Taaaa, na 2day? E don tey dey reach one month wey dem start d strike 4 my area.
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Gboliwe: 3:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
Since this week perem, I havent enjoyd light for upto 40mts. Since yesterday, I never see phcn light with my two eyes
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by Big4wig(m): 3:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
53 years without light or education...what a Country
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by 3Dimension: 3:01pm On Oct 01, 2013
I pity the family of all this phcn people now. Unempoyment has just been increased.

Anyway dir strike is ineffective cos private owners are coming to the place. In other words their services are not needed.

Nigeria has USED and DUMP u.

#okbye
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by jonescyras(m): 3:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
What is the causes of all these ROGBOJIYANs(yoruba).
ASUU----on strike
Asup----still proposing to strike
Doctors on strike
Now Ajo mona mona now on strike again! Ye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.Very soon them go say nigeria be Giant of africa..hmm! embarassedWhat is the causes of all these ROGBOJIYANs(yoruba).
ASUU----on strike
Doctors on strike
Now Ajo mona mona now on strike again! Ye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.Very soon them go say nigeria be Giant of africa..hmm!
Sex killz must go ha!
Re: Nationwide Blackout Looms As PHCN Workers Begin Strike On October 2nd by jonescyras(m): 3:04pm On Oct 01, 2013
What is the causes of all these ROGBOJIYANs(yoruba).
ASUU----on strike
Doctors on strike
.Very soon them go say nigeria be Giant of africa..hmm! embarassedWhat is the causes of all these ROGBOJIYANs(yoruba).
ASUU----on strike
Doctors on strike
..Very soon them go say nigeria be Giant of africa..hmm!
Sex killz must go ha!

(1) (2)

Download The Facebook Wealth Formula And Acute Email Software For Free. / Lists Of Banks Licensed To Operate In Nigeria / Scrap Pet Bottle Recycling Training - YOU CAN MAKE MONEY RECYCLING PLASTICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.