Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. - Car Talk (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. (73839 Views)

Graphic Photos Of A Motorcycle Rider Killed By A Train At Iju Ishagba Yesterday / Motorcycle Pictures From 2014 Bikers Convention In Nigeria / My Road Trip From Lagos To Ibadan. Pictures! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 11:49am On Oct 06, 2013
Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa

3 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 11:55am On Oct 06, 2013
The portion of the road in Benin under construction.
Traffic was choc-a-bloc at this point and our convoy had been cut off.
I didn't have any of my co travelers in sight at this point.

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 11:59am On Oct 06, 2013
Waiting to regroup again just before the Seme border

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 12:03pm On Oct 06, 2013
Trip complete!!!
Roads transversed, borders crossed, experiences obtained and now finally home!

I promise another trip update soon with more pictures as well as a video or two
Thank you all for reading and following. wink

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 12:23pm On Oct 06, 2013
Originalsly: Nice pics!.... Thanks

what is the longest time you spent riding non stop?..... About 1hr 20 mins. The 160km stretch between Aflao and Accra

Was language a big problem along the way?.... Not at all. There is always someone that speaks English

Was there much concern about the safety of the bikes while you slept?..... No, bikes were parked in the Hotel car park. Or do you think we spent more than a day on the trip? We didn't. The trip was about 10hours each way with border crossing, petrol stops etc accounting for 4hrs

did you guys meet other bike groups?... Yes, in Accra

How was the foods along the way?... Not applicable. We didn't stop to eat. A couple of us had fried turkey at one of the borders though. Can't remember which

had to ehmmm...dash off to the bushes after eating? ;-) .... Not applicable

noticed you guys were in like full riding gear...weren't you burning up?... We were. Re-hydration is key
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by agabaI23(m): 12:34pm On Oct 06, 2013
Welldone Shagati veyron.
Nice nice journey
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by adediamond07(m): 12:50pm On Oct 06, 2013
What a trip!
what a fun!
What a fun-trip!!!
kiss kiss kiss
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 06, 2013
Shagati:

Kanu is my friend

Kanu as in FOTODADY. Keen biker, and off-road guy. cool
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by azpekuliar: 1:37pm On Oct 06, 2013
Good job Shagati, good job. A first from a biker on NL.

1 Like

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 4:10pm On Oct 06, 2013
Siena:

Kanu as in FOTODADY. Keen biker, and off-road guy. cool
Yup. Same guy.
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 4:13pm On Oct 06, 2013
agabaI23: Welldone Shagati veyron.
Nice nice journey

azpekuliar: Good job Shagati, good job. A first from a biker on NL.

Thanks gents.
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by sconp: 4:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
Well i know that they didn't really ride with much speed because of speed limits but i know that u guys must have driven about 260km/h jst to maintain speed limit
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by komekn(m): 5:04pm On Oct 06, 2013
Really inspiring road trip particularly as it's not something that appeals to most Nigerians, being afraid for afraid sake.

Shagati I am most impressed you guys have reignited my spirit of adventure, I admit that I don't have the guts to ride a bike that far.

However, If you guys actually intend to go to Morocco then I would find it a complete ADVENTURE BLAST to meet you guys in Morocco but not on two wheels, I will be in a understated SUV 4X4 driving from the North West of England and following you guys back to Lagos. Not sure how many of my guys I can get to ride with us but I am sure there will be a few nairalanders who wil join in from the UK and possibly Europe as well.

Years ago tried to drum up some interest in a trip like this but just way too few takers even among my guys so trip abandoned, didn't have the liver to go Solo. So if you guys are hitting Morocco, I am in.
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Originalsly: 7:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
Great sharing your adventure! ...already inspiring people...who can't even ride ehmmm...bicycle! You guys have great touring bikes...and what I admire most...is that you put them to their proper use. Can't wait to see the videos!
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 7:59pm On Oct 06, 2013
OmoAkerele: Wetin dey…Why are so many people skeptic. Like Shagati said, Lagos to Accra is only 460 km, In my option the most frustrating part about the trip are the border crossing, in particular Aflao. Nice one Shagati, I enjoyed the few pictures.
Spot on.
Thanks

OmoAkerele: @ omoajiri; I would be selling my 2008 Yamaha R6 end of Nov,
I know what you're doing with your R6 in November. All 7,500km+ of it wink
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by OmoAkerele(m): 11:20pm On Oct 06, 2013
@ omoajiri; This thread is about Shagati’s Lagos to Accra road trip, make I no go hijack am with pictures of my Okada for sale without Shagati’s permission. Alternatively here’s my email: tundeadu@hotmail.com, inbox me and I’ll reply you with the pictures.

@ komekn: you never go since, wetin you dey wait for? There is never really going to be a prefect ideal time. I can understand not wanting to do it alone, but no try convince anybody to come along, because when yawa burst na extra wahala, if you just find one person to join you, it’s a enough. In 50 years Insha'Allah, when I look back at life, I’ll probably regret more the things I did not do, than the things I did. komekn just hit the road, no be rocket surgery….na liver.

@Shagati: you done add additional 7500km+ to my Okada, no be strong selling point. From your jest, looks like I’ll stay away from Ghana to save time.
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by auhanson(m): 12:44am On Oct 07, 2013
Nice work, i love that zeal..which i were there too with you guys!!!!
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by favcom(m): 5:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
Home at last! What a relief!
Welcome back, mate wink
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by spinna: 6:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
Shagati: Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa

Hayabusa - meaning the Peregrine Falcon - fastest factory made road bike at 300-something kph, the peregrine falcon is the natural prey of the (Honda) blackbird .
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 7:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
spinna:

Hayabusa - meaning the Peregrine Falcon - fastest factory made road bike at 300-something kph, the peregrine falcon is the natural prey of the (Honda) blackbird .
Hmmm....you know your hyper bikes. Kawasaki ZX14 (Busa killer) owners wont agree with you though wink
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 08, 2013
Nice one shagatti
Thrilling experience I must say. But, how do you plan to make the SA trip, which route?
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by spinna: 10:42am On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Zamizoni(m): 12:19pm On Oct 16, 2013
Hey Shagatti, I saw 4 guys cruz in on their bikes into ilorin yesterday evening.... I saw them cruzing through the Ilorin international Airport road..... was that your crew or another team
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 5:19pm On Oct 16, 2013
spinna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNlVFNiV1ds

You see? wink
Thanks for this
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by spinna: 11:55am On Oct 18, 2013
yes i think i like the kawasaki too...
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by azpekuliar: 1:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
@Shagati, I'm almost stomping up, N900,000 for a 2012 Yamaha FZ-8 from an expatriate relocating to his home country. I just did a quick calculation based on the prices at MetallicStore, why are the accessories so expensive? Excluding training, from the helmets to the gloves a whopping N162,200 alone! shocked Jeeeeez! And I'm only gonna be riding on weekends. angry
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Fhemmmy: 1:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
azpekuliar:
@Shagati, I'm almost stomping up, N900,000 for a 2012 Yamaha FZ-8. I just did a quick calculation based on the prices at MetallicStore, why are the accessories so expensive? Excluding training, from the helmets to the gloves a whopping N162,200 alone! shocked Jeeeeez! And I'm only gonna be riding on weekends. angry

You only live once so if you can afford it, please go ahead and get what you want and be happy . . . Even if you riding for just once a week, if you have what it takes to buy - Treat yourself
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by azpekuliar: 1:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
Fhemmmy:

You only live once so if you can afford it, please go ahead and get what you want and be happy . . . Even if you riding for just once a week, if you have what it takes to buy - Treat yourself

I can most certainly buy the bike, but it's likely gonna be packed for a long, long time...
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Fhemmmy: 1:35pm On Nov 01, 2013
azpekuliar:

I can most certainly buy the bike, but it's likely gonna be packed for a long, long time...

I see what you mean, then, in that case, i will advice to wait a little then cos the price for the bike might drop as well . . . Besides, what kinda accessories are you looking for, just wanna see if i could get them cheaper here in Canada for you
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by azpekuliar: 1:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I see what you mean, then, in that case, i will advice to wait a little then cos the price for the bike might drop as well . . . Besides, what kinda accessories are you looking for, just wanna see if i could get them cheaper here in Canada for you

The bike is a good deal for that price. It was bought brand new, 6000 miles, Yamaha certified clean, comes with a GPS loaded with WA maps a battery charger. The owner would reluctantly ship it back to the Belgium in a few days if he doesn't get an acceptable offer. I don't think I wanna pass this up. It would cost well over a million to ship the same bike in. Are there better deals in Canada for helmets, boots, jackets, riding pants & gloves?
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Fhemmmy: 1:58pm On Nov 01, 2013
azpekuliar:

The bike is a good deal for that price. It was bought brand new, 6000 miles, Yamaha certified clean, comes with a GPS loaded with WA maps a battery charger. The owner would reluctantly ship it back to the Belgium in a few days if he doesn't get an acceptable offer. I don't think I wanna pass this up. It would cost well over a million to ship the same bike in. Are there better deals in Canada for helmets, boots, jackets, riding pants & gloves?

There are so many types and all depends on what you want - Quality
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 5:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
azpekuliar: @Shagati, I'm almost stomping up, N900,000 for a 2012 Yamaha FZ-8 from an expatriate relocating to his home country . I just did a quick calculation based on the prices at MetallicStore, why are the accessories so expensive? Excluding training, from the helmets to the gloves a whopping N162,200 alone! shocked Jeeeeez! And I'm only gonna be riding on weekends. angry

Tell Ken that you're friends with his Financial Secretary wink That may earn you a brownie point or two

These things can get quite expensive especially if you buy here.
The downside with ordering from outside (e.g Canada) is that you might get the wrong size.
Different manufacturers have varying size charts. Size Medium might be what you want but the correct size with a manufacturer may be a size Small.
I know all the sizes that would fit me so I can afford to order.
No need to buy everything at once. Start with the helmet and work your way downwards.

The most important thing is the riding training. You will get a better face to face interaction with the instructors regarding everything.

Cheers and welcome grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Old Cat Hides Under Donald Trump's $1.5m Armoured Beasts Limo,Render It Useless / Nigerian Man Redesigns A Beetle Tortoise Car Into A Rolls Royce / Rolls-Royce Boat Tail Is The Most Expensive Car In The World in 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.