Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! (996 Views)

Aisha Buhari: Why President-elect’s Wife May Not Be Nigeria’s Next First Lady / Atiku Condemns Attack On Jonathan: "Office Of The President Must Be Respected" / The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by tomakint: 2:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
He didn’t plan nor pray for his Superior, President Musa Yar’Adua, to kiss the world goodbye on the 5th of May, 2010, he was barely fixed up as an appendage of power to ‘assist’ his erstwhile boss, but fate thrust on him the exalted position of ‘Commander-In-Chief and President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria’ and right from that moment till now, the man, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has set many records as far as governance is concerned in Nigeria!

First thing first, let me congratulate my fellow country men and women especially Nairalanders HAPPY 53rd INDEPENDENCE DAY it is my prayer that as Nigeria added a year to her age today, we all as a people shall find this moment and beyond worthy to celebrate! I watched, listened to people’s comments and analyses of this administration with mixed feelings, why? It seems many people take governance (especially for a Country as Nigeria) to be one of the easiest job to do when in actual fact it is one of the most difficult journey of life to embark on even for the ‘most prepared hand’! Before I talk about the man in the eye of the storm, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, let me start in this guise;

The Many Problems with Nigeria

Nigeria was an artificial creation (a forced marriage of people with different orientations and ideologies) of the British Colonial Masters who were hell-bent to shape the destiny of Nigeria never to reach her potentials within the comity of nations by strategically placing the affairs of the country into the hands of their puppets up North. Ab initio, between 1955 and 1961 when there was no recruitment quota in the Armed Forces, the bulk of the recruits were Igbo or Igbo speaking officers. This trend was checked when the quota system was put in place which reserved fifty percent  of the recruitment quota to the Northern region and fifty percent to be shared by the Eastern, Western and Mid-Western Regions. From merit based recruitment to quota system ceding 50% to the North. This sly arrangement was how the fate of Nigerian Armed Forces was sealed until recently!

The foundation on which Nigeria birthed was shaky and as such whatever previous administrations had built on it were bound to collapse on the long run, after all, the Holy Writ summarized this in the book of Psalm when it declared that “If the foundation be destroyed, what can the righteous do?” This must be strictly considered anytime the subject, Nigeria is to be discussed. Nigeria as far as I am concerned has not been plagued by bad leaders but leaders who failed to learn from history hence in the process repeats the mistake of history which automatically turns them into despots, beasts, inept as the case may be! I think Nigerian leaders will learn more if they can take the pain to study more why big and strong nations in history fail than studying the successes of big nations still standing.

Rummaging through the checkered history of Nigeria, one can almost conclude that from 1960 till date, Nigeria is largely dominated by a particular region (North) and this particular region have produced Head of States (either as military or civilian) for 38 years out of our 53 years of Independence! The proscription of regionalism by Ironsi coupled with the subsequent creation of States by Yakubu Gowon and the mapping out of Abuja as the new Federal Capital Territory under the Murtala regime of 1975 was a killing blow to the newly found wealth of Nigeria through the discovery of oil in the late 50s. Ironsi acted under impulse with that faulty arrangement of a Unitary System of Government. The politics of States creation dated back to 1967 when Gowon without considering the future implications went ahead to create 12 States out of the 4 regions (Northern, Eastern, Western and Mid-Western Regions) we had then. The politics behind the States creation then was haphazardly done to emasculate the Igbos and make the FG buoyant against the Biafrans as a result of the brewing war. It eventually turned out to favour the northern region a problem we as a people are still battling with till date. Nigeria now operates under six-geopolitical zones. The Northwest zone boasts of 7 States (Jigawa, Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Kebbi, Sokoto and Zamfara), Southeast zone has 5 States (Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo) while the remaining zones has six States each. As killing as this idea was, Kano, a State in the northwest zone boasts of 44 redundant local governments while the whole of Southeast zone has 97 local governments. The imbalance in the politics of States creation will take time to be rectified because that is how the core North is milking the country! Unfortunately, we are still held incommunicado by these political braggadocios up North till date!
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by tomakint: 2:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected

President Goodluck Jonathan is a child of circumstance who has chosen to lead the affairs of this great country with the fear of God in his heart, I have always believed in a principle that, ‘no solution satisfies everyone’ while I am of the opinion that Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is on a mission to right the many wrongs of the pasts (which happens to be his major problem with the powers that be up north), I am also conscious to know that those who made the pasts worst will fight tooth and nail to frustrate him by any means within their disposal! Many have premised Jonathan’s failures on the issue of security that had bedeviled this nation right from the moment he assumed the position of the President, but many have failed to understand that war against religious fanatics as Boko Haram is a very difficult one to win. Borrowing a leaf from the most powerful nation on earth, the United States, when US Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, who had finally come full circle to reality, declares that, “Our troops are under such tremendous pressure in Afghanistan. It's a war like no other war we've been involved in” definitely those stern words led to the mass withdrawal of US troops from engaging the Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan! It must be recalled that the battle for Nigeria’s security was lost when President Obasanjo (another poor student of history) in 2000 allowed total Sharia to be implemented in 12 Northern states thereby rubbishing the secularity of Nigeria. That singular act of immense proportions not only birthed Boko Haram but finally laid the foundation for the unraveling and demise of Nigeria.

Comparing the efforts of Jonathan so far to another who inherited the Fourth Republic on a platter of gold, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, one can almost conclude that Jonathan’s running 3 years had already eclipsed the 8 years of Obj in all areas of governance. One of the greatest levels of economic waste experienced in the history of this country was the 8 years inglorious rule of Obasanjo. His administration encouraged corruption like a trade. There was total disrespect for the rule of law; on 11th January, 2006, members of the Oyo State House of Assembly who were not up to a quorum (2/3) illegally impeached the sitting governor, Chief Rashidi Ladoja, on 23rd January, 2006 Alhaji Adedibu’s (a thug and strongman of Ibadan politics) Personal Assistant, Alhaji Hazeem Gbolarumi was illegally appointed as deputy governor to Alao Akala, he (Obj) intentionally decided to extend his rule (which was against the law of the land) by funding the controversial third term bill which was thrown out of debate by the National Assembly on 16th May, 2006, he presided over the petroleum ministry as the de facto minister. His administration made so many negative histories in the chequered history of this country; Plateau State was under emergency rule (by Major General Chris Ali rtd.) as a result of uncontrolled internecine ethnic and religious crisis for a period of 6 months from Tuesday 18th May, 2004 – November 18th, 2004, the first civilian coup d’état occurred under his administration when Dr Chris Ngige, then governor of Anambra State was abducted by his captors hence, throwing our nascent democracy into a state of confusion, the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) embarked on strike for the first time in the history of this country from 13th – 14th March, 2006 and the Nigerian Police Force strike of 1st February, 2002 was the first of its kind in the history of Nigeria. One would wondered how Obasanjo, who left the gulag of Abacha wretched could emerged as one of the richest Africans after his 8 years in Aso Rock. His Presidential Library “Bazaar Show” was a case in point of many of his sleazes, where government contractors loyal to the President and his Party (PDP) funded it! Even Abeokuta where the Presidential Library was situated is in shambles development-wise, not even Minna where Babangida resides looked like a jungle. His Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) was set up to witch hunt largely his political foes while his cronies (although highly corrupt) roamed free, such and many more ‘dark sides’ were the Acts and Scenes of Obasanjo’s administration from 1999 – 2007!

Under Obasanjo, his administration made little significant effort to ensure that government officials and members of the security forces implicated in violations of civil and political rights, including election-related violence, were brought to book. While only a small minority of the human rights abuses documented in this report were directly carried out by federal government officials, the federal government’s failure to combat widespread impunity for abuses orchestrated by government and PDP officials at the state and local level has fostered the unabated continuation of those abuses. More than 11,000 Nigerians were killed in hundreds of separate outbreaks of inter-communal and political violence during the Obasanjo administration. Many of those deaths came about in large scale and apparently highly organized massacres along ethnic and religious lines. No one has been held to account for their role in organizing or inciting those massacres. During the same period several high profile Nigerians were assassinated in attacks widely believed to be politically motivated, including Attorney General Bola Ige in December 2001. No one has been held to account for any but one of those killings – and the government’s claim to have “solved” Ige’s murder days before Obasanjo left office provoked widespread scepticism. Obasanjo came with lots of hopes and promises, but by the time he was leaving after eight years in power we all knew he was a colossal failure. He started with operation 500 roads of rehabilitating bad ones and building new ones, yet Nigerian roads remain worst despite pumping billions of Naira into the project; he mouthed so much on agriculture that Nigerians felt that being a farmer himself he would revamp the sector but he only took us on a cruise while he was busy revamping and wasting public funds on his moribund Ota farm; he voted $3 billion to fight corruption, yet he was not free from corruption himself; his over-dependence on the stringent and harsh policies (which ranges from the economic reforms like reduction in the staff strength of the civil service in order to increase unemployment, increase in fuel prices, privatization of sensitive government parastatals which in one way or the other affected the monetary and fiscal policies of the country) of the Bretton-Woods Institutions (IMF and World Bank); he spent billions of naira to host the 8th All African Games [COJA], where a whopping $18 million [about N2.1 billion] was voted for catering services on the athletes; despite his claims to suppress poverty in the country, the per capital income of Nigeria under Obasanjo’s tenure was hovering between $250 - $500; his administration orchestrated the sacking of the acting Auditor-General of the federation, Mr Vincent Azie, over his indictments of federal government ministries and parastatals including the presidency over the mystery behind over-inflated figures in the nation’s statements of account; his government couldn’t put the four refineries at optimal services despite the fact that he was the de facto Minister of Petroleum Resources and many other misplaced priorities under his watch!
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by tomakint: 2:47pm On Oct 01, 2013
Jonathan has been the one taking the heat when it is not even necessary to dish out those ‘insults’ at his person for no just cause! undecided He gave us one of the best electoral reforms in the political history of this country (unlike what Nigerians used to witness especially under the autocratic, pseudo-democratic era of Obasanjo’s inglorious 8 years), he took it upon himself to encourage entrepreneurship among youths and he didn’t stop at that but roll out a package, YouWin, which has put smiles on the faces of 1,200 youths (with another 1,200 women about to benefit and still counting) with grants ranging from =N=1,000,000 to =N=10,000,000, our aviation sector is now getting series of facelifts especially at airports nationwide (not forgetting that 22 Airports were earmarked for re-modeling and rehabilitation, 11 have been completed and commissioned, while five new terminals in Lagos, Kano, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Enugu as well as 6 Cargo Terminals will begin this year), Nigeria despite her security challenges has improved greatly in the area of Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) which remains the hallmark of this administration, he has reformed the power sector by engaging the sector in meaningful and purposeful privatization programs (history was made yesterday, 30th September, 2013 when PHCN was handed over to 14 Private Generating and Distributing firms, putting an end to over 30 years of bureaucracy, underperformance in the power sector), the rots in the pension, police, oil sector, financial institutions were massively exposed for all to see, he gave the other arms of government (judiciary and legislative) to operate without unnecessarily interfering in their operations, under his watch he has commissioned many projects worthy of emulation, ranging from 2nd Niger Bridge, working railing systems, roads construction, an effective and working agricultural sector (not forgetting the fact that a farmer in the name of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, held sway for 8 years but couldn’t implement a meaningful project in the agricultural sector) by 2014, Nigeria will be milling her own rice and even exporting for more positive balance of trade, not forgetting the same initiatives towards cotton, cocoa, maize and sorghum productions, his reforms in education by establishing new federal universities, launching the Almajiri school projects, increased funding to TETFUNDS! He is a President willing to learn from his numerous mistakes and so far so good, he keeps getting better year in, year out! I have no doubt he will deliver before 2015 approaches.

Lastly

Indeed, the complexities of Nigeria’s political terrain are too convoluted to be understood. The way Nigeria is now; I think it is very important the issues of ethnicity, tribalism, political jingoism (i.e. politics of bitterness) and corruption are clearly trashed out before any meaningful developments can be achieved! The problems with Nigeria is bigger than what President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan can turn around within 8 years or more (no matter how hard he tried to fix things), yes it is that serious, because Nigeria was not meant to be right from the outset! Nigeria is trying to hold on but for how long? Jonathan deserves second term in all spheres, but our “Born to Rule Brothers up North” and their accomplices in the Southwest are scheming so hard to thwart his efforts by all means! The game of scheming rages on as 2015 approaches, definitely one party must give way for the other to be, if not, 2015 may open a new vista in the checkered history of this country!

2 Likes

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by tomakint: 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2013
I am solemnly praying for this National Conference to pave way for a Referendum that will finally usher in a new lease of life from the old one we have been living! Something keeps telling me that Goodluck Ebele Jonathan might just be Nigeria's LAST PRESIDENT!
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by gameboy727(m): 10:31pm On Oct 05, 2013
Even if your post fill up 10 pages haters would still hate and never see anything good in GEJ. I respect the man and I know he has tried though he aint perfect.
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 05, 2013
This butt licking crap was written since October 1st, 2013 with no one looking at the crap you wrote. I told you no one likes to be your friend. As a matter of fact, none of your fellow Ibos has looked your way. You have no friends and boring like a game of squash. All you do is forcefully attach yourself to your fellow Ibos on nairaland.

What a shame!
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by agbameta: 10:40pm On Oct 05, 2013
This is another admission that this man is grossly incapable of running the country and instead of all this mushy and lame excuses to dispense away his incompetency and laziness, he can do us a favor by resigning and place the country in a competent and capable hands.

1 Like

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by tomakint: 10:44pm On Oct 05, 2013
gameboy727: Even if your post fill up 10 pages haters would still hate and never see anything good in GEJ. I respect the man and I know he has tried though he aint perfect.
You're right bro but one amazing thing about the man is how he achieved so much within 3 years despite the challenge of insecurities from Boko Haram still beats my imagination till tomorrow. I don't know of such past administrations that gave such sterling performances within such few years in Nigeria!
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by MafiaMan: 10:44pm On Oct 05, 2013
I'd rather suck a bleeding cuńt than waste my time reading this nonsense. *spits*

1 Like

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by andresia(m): 10:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
shocked wonders shall never end shocked so Tomakint can open a thread. Hmmmm ... buttlicker! The end time is here!
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by agbameta: 10:47pm On Oct 05, 2013
tomakint:
You're right bro but one amazing thing about the man is how he achieved so much within 3 years despite the challenge of insecurities from Boko Haram still beats my imagination till tomorrow. I don't know of such past administrations that gave such sterling performances within such few years in Nigeria!

If they have Olympic games for comedy, delusions and fantasy, you people go carry first....

lmao
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
Mafia Man: I'd rather suck a bleeding cuńt than waste my time reading this nonsense. *spits*

I also spit my phlegm on this thread.

1 Like

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
agbameta:

If they have Olympic games for comedy, delusions and fantasy, you people go carry first....

lmao

tomakint the zombie is on a different planet that can't be described.

1 Like

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by tomakint: 10:54pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless: This butt licking crap was written since October 1st, 2013 with no one looking at the crap you wrote. I told you no one likes to be your friend. As a matter of fact, none of your fellow Ibos has looked your way. You have no friends and boring like a game of squash. All you do is forcefully attach yourself to your fellow Ibos on nairaland.
What a shame!
Even at your age you are still not wise despite the training I have been giving you here undecided how is your wife?
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 05, 2013
tomakint:
Even at your age you are still not wise despite the training I have been giving you here undecided how is your wife?

tomakint the zombie, how is your mummy?

1 Like

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by free13: 11:16pm On Oct 05, 2013
tomakint:

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by Nobody: 11:30pm On Oct 05, 2013
@Tomakint..,Thank you for the well researched topic. Haters must bow to FRESH AIR or die of hate-induced stroke.

2 Likes

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by tomakint: 11:44pm On Oct 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @Tomakint..,Thank you for the well researched topic. Haters must bow to FRESH AIR or die of hate-induced stroke.
Thanks Sincere 9gerian for your endorsement, I strongly believe that the Man of the Moment, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, is on a mission to salvage this country and make it the toast of other nations! To your prayers, I say a BIG AMEN cool

1 Like

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by Nobody: 12:08am On Oct 06, 2013
tomakint:
Thanks Sincere 9gerian for your endorsement, I strongly believe that the Man of the Moment, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, is on a mission to salvage this country and make it the toast of other nations! To your prayers, I say a BIG AMEN cool
I know there are structural changes that needed to take place for accelerated DEVELOPMENT in Nigeria but in spite of that, I've never been more optimistic about PROGRESS in my fatherland than now. The truth is that among all the politicians of today only a GEJ would have the discipline to allow INEC the free hand to operate. Only a GEJ would have the discipline to privatise PHCN through a very TRANSPARENT process. None among the active politicians of today have such discipline. NITEL is dead today because of shoddy privatisation programme of previous regimes.

Even the proposed National Conference will help us discuss the much needed structural changes.

Notwithstanding his shortcomings, GEJ is destined to take Nigeria to greater heights. All the antics of enemies of PROGRESS will come to nought.

1 Like

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by Brimmie(m): 2:30am On Oct 06, 2013
40 Laptop Dogs.. Una fone go soon beep! Nor vex, Interswitch dey mess up!! Keep working tho!

1 Like

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by DankemzI(m): 4:05am On Oct 06, 2013
gameboy727: Even if your post fill up 10 pages haters would still hate and never see anything good in GEJ. I respect the man and I know he has tried though he aint perfect.
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by tomakint: 1:46am On Oct 21, 2013
Jonathan so far so good has proved beyond reasonable doubt that he is to be RESPECTED whether you are for or against him!
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by Tintinix: 2:42am On Oct 21, 2013
Mind you, amidst all the many reforms and developmental success of this administration, She still needs to prove herself worthy of leading this country, something that no other leader had to put up with, so much so that one wanted to convert from Miltary to a civilian president without a general election, the other wanted an unconstitutional third term and the two inbetween it is being revealed stole the Nation blind with inpunity.
Its really heartbreaking and demoralizing. I see GEJ age everyday I see him TV, not the robust look of our past leaders and people harp on a 1 billion Naira food budget...when previously did you ever get to know of happenings inside ASo rock?
We must and have begun to break away from our subservient mind set ;and this is the bane of the matter; that a paradigm shift has occurred and we all realized that NO one or two region of this nation is entitled to lead this nation only.
Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by luvmijeje(f): 4:55am On Oct 21, 2013
Excuses! Excuses! Can someone tell my ever dulling President except when he wants to loot to honourably resign.

1 Like

Re: The Many Problems With Nigeria And Why President Jonathan Should Be Respected! by tomakint: 8:11am On Oct 21, 2013
luvmijeje: Excuses! Excuses! Can someone tell my ever dulling President except when he wants to loot to honourably resign.
I will pardon your ignorance only on one ground, prove to me that he is not working, then I will 'love you jeje' please don't keep me waiting!

(1) (Reply)

We Are Not Afraid Of Nigeria's Break-up,says Northern Elders Forum . / 'leave Princess Stella Oduah Alone / Verification Of Documents By India Police. Have They Reached You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.