Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,550 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad (1673 Views)

APC Would Make A Difference In Governance Of Nigeria – Amaechi / Who Truly Is A Patriotic Nigerian / What Are The Best Patriotic Nigerian Songs Of All Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Giftedgreen: 6:35am On Oct 02, 2013
Nigeria is a country blessed with rich human and natural resources, and yet Nigeria is not exactly among the best countries in the world, you would not be far from the truth if you say Nigeria is retrogressing.

Now don’t get it twisted, Nigeria has some pretty impressive records to show off, like the fact that it is the most populous black nation in the world, the Giant of Africa (or at least it used to be), a pioneer in numerous fields (mainly in Africa oh, not worldwide).

At first, you would think that Nigeria would be a source of pride to the African continent, considering the fact that its citizens are among highest private jet owners in the world, fourth highest importer of armored vehicles, it is the home of 11 out of the 40 Forbes richest people in Africa and the 6th largest oil producer in the world.

1. Nigeria is the 16th Most Failed State In The World

According to Fund for Peace, Nigeria has been ranked as the 16thmost failed state in the world.

Fund for Peace is an Independent non-profit research and education institution. A failed state has several attributes, common indicators include a state whose central government is so weak or ineffective that is has little or practical control over much of its territory; non provision of public service, widespread corruption and criminality, refugees and involuntary movement of populations, and sharp economic decline.

2. And the 14th Least Peaceful Country In The World

According to the first study that rank countries according to their peacefulness, the institute for economics and peace Nigeria ranked the 14th least peaceful country in the world. In the rank of countries like Chad, Yemen, Libya, Syria and Pakistan among other conflict ridden states.

The 2013 Global Peace Index ranked 162 countries by measuring security in the society, the extent of conflict and the degree of militarization.

3. She is also the 11th Worst Country For Journalist In The World

The United Nation Committee to Protect Journalist (CPJ) ranked Nigeria as the 11thworst nation for journalist. CPJ, in a statement lamented that unpunished, deadly violence continues to plague the press globally and has notably increased in Nigeria. The committee’s 2013 Impunity Index stressed that Nigeria is where journalist are murdered regularly and killers go free.

Now you know why our journalists are good at self-censorship. It is a survival instinct.

4. 12th Worst Life Expectancy In The World

Life expectancy equals the average number of years a person born in a given country would live if mortality rates at each age were to remain constant in the future. Nigeria has a life expectancy of 52.46 (2013 est.) years. Nigeria ranked 211 out of the 223 countries on that list, trust us you do not want to know the countries that ranked higher than Nigeria.

5.Nigeria is the 7th Most Terrorized Nation In The World

In attempt to systematically rank nations of the world according to terrorist activity, Nigeria had the dishonor of ranking the 7th most terrorized nation in the world. Losing only to Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Yemen and Somalia

From the 16th slot in 2008, Nigeria went down to 11 in 2009; 12 in 2010: and now seventh. Nigeria is worse that Sudan which ranked 11th and Mali (34th)

6.Nigeria also has the Worst Refineries In Africa

One of the numerous committees in Nigeria, The National Refineries Special Task Force (NRSTF), set up by the federal government has disclosed that Nigeria’s refineries are the worst managed of 42 existing African refineries.

There are 42 refineries in Africa. Nigeria has three and the third largest combined capacity of 445,000 bpd and they have the worst performance record among the 42 refineries, with an average capacity utilization of only 18 percent.

7.She has the 2nd Worst Electricity Supply In The World

The World Bank has rated Nigeria as the second worst country with high electricity access deficit. The report states that 82.4 million people lack access to electricity. Nigeria came second to India with a population of 306.2 million people with lack of access to electricity. While India is moving fast to resolve the challenge ahead of sustainable energy for all by 2030, Nigeria is lagging with an annual increase in the access to electricity at the rate of 1.8 percent.

8.Nigeria is the Worst Country To Be Born In 2013

Nigeria is the worst country to be born in 2013, according to a study by the Economic Intelligence Unit. The firm looked at 80 countries scoring them across 11 variables to determine “Which country will provide the best opportunity for a healthy, safe and prosperous life in the years ahead”.

According to an International non-governmental organization, Save the Children 89,700 babies die on the same day they are born in Nigeria.

9. And Has the Largest Out Of School Children In The World

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) rated Nigeria as the country with the worst global education indicators. According to the report Nigeria has the largest population of out-of-school children. The report showed that Nigeria has about 10.5 million out-of-school children.

The report also indicated that education costs are generally prohibitive in Nigeria among others.

Just in case you are saying to yourself this cannot be true, well, the Minister of Education Ruqayyatu Ahmed Rufa’I was there and she did not challenge it.

Since 2000, the percentage of out-of-school children has continued to increase and by 2010 only about 47 percent of Nigerian children actually get into secondary school

10.Not Withstanding the Worst Road Death Record In Africa

World Health Organization (WHO) survey indicates that Nigeria has the worst road death records in the world – nearly 34 deaths out of every 100,000 residents.

11.The 8th Most Corrupt Country In The World

The 2013 Global Corruption Barometer of Anti-corruption nonprofit Transparency International has placed Nigeria as the 8thmost corrupt nation in the world.

Nigeria was ranked 59th most corrupt in 2008, 50th most corrupt in 2009, 2010(39), 2011(40) and just last year Nigeria was 35th most corrupt.

Which might seem like an improvement, considering the fact that Nigeria has been rated three times the most corrupt nation in the world(1996,1997 and 2000), four times second most corrupt(1999,2001,2002,2003), two times third most corrupt (2004 and 2005) and fourth most corrupt in 1998

12.And The Most Stressed Out Country In The World

When Bloomberg decided to score 74 nations around the world for their “stressed-out” factor, Nigeria was ranked the most stressed out nation in the world. Seven equally weighted variables were considered namely; homicide rates, unemployment, GDP per capita on a purchasing-power-parity-basis, Income inequality, corruption perception, urban air pollution and life expectancy.

- See more at: http://giftedgreen.com/2013/?q=12-Depressing-Records-That-Would-Make-Every-Patriotic-Nigerian-Sad#sthash.ncC2DnDW.dpuf

1 Like

Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 02, 2013
Chaiii.
.God help Us
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Gbawe: 7:53am On Oct 02, 2013
The sad reality is that virtually everything has worsened greatly for Nigeria under the PDP over 14 years since 1999. As this article comprehensively confirms, we do not seem to be making progress in relation to our most serious problems and challenges.

In fact, we continue to see mad decisions that leaves critically thinking Nigerians in no doubt that the PDP cannot administer the centre effectively.The Party, at the centre, only produces administrators who seem to compound the biggest problems of Nigeria.

Can anyone be surprised our refineries, as one example, are rated the worst in Africa given that one of the first thing GEJ did, after his 2011 swearing in, was to concede Nigeria refineries into the hands of the "grand home of corruption" (NNPC) for 24 months? The NNPC is the greatest symbol of failure yet the President handed our refineries to them same way he senselessly charged Militants to protect oil pipeline officially with the disastrous result of Nigeria now seeing the highest level of oil theft in a while !!!!!

We have to begin shunning mediocrity in Nigeria to recognise glaring leadership failure which must be punished with only a dismissal of those responsible for grossly inadequate leadership embarrassing Nigeria. Failure to begin doing this will mean many of these unsavoury records will continue to worsen until Nigeria fails totally.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by mars123(m): 7:57am On Oct 02, 2013
Its great to know...happy independence yall!
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 02, 2013
the worst this, the worst that...na them sabi.
Oyibo and their one kain one kain survey
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by bloggernaija: 8:10am On Oct 02, 2013
All the result of bad leadership right from independence to the present moment.
The only oasis in this desert of doom is the SW which retains a semblance of a normal society .
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Realdeals(m): 8:14am On Oct 02, 2013
Nigeria I hail
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Gbawe: 8:26am On Oct 02, 2013
kaeyame: the worst this, the worst that...na them sabi.
Oyibo and their one kain one kain survey

Let us blame "Oyibo" for everything and never ourselves . We will surely become a great Nation thinking like that. Did Oyibo make our President insanely hand over our refineries into the incompetent hands of the NNPC for 24 months to now result in our refineries being rated the worst in Africa? Was it not always obvious the crazy decision of GEJ was only going to make things worse? Why do we Nigerians have a problem with understanding that actions, especially our own, have consequences ? Why are we always so keen to blame others for our woes when most of our problems can be directly linked to the poor/compromised decision-making and performance of our own leaders?

Shall we blame Oyibo also for the drastically increased level of oil theft when it was the President of Nigeria that led the sabotage of his own Country via handing pipeline protection contract to former militant warlords who are, in reality, glorified oil bunkerers?

They punish and ostracise corruption worldwide yet our President pardons offenders convicted of ruining the future of many with corrupt actions. When we are then adjudged very corrupt, why must we drag Oyibo into issues if a people who understand the consequences of the actions of our own leader?

Nigeria can only change if, first and foremost, those who are led begin to hold their direct leaders accountable before looking elsewhere or to anyone else for blame/solutions.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by mars123(m): 8:30am On Oct 02, 2013
In oshiomohle's media chat,he was made to analyze Nigeria's problem and give a solution or two..he spoke about NNPC and their mismanagement of over 400 000bbls of cruude oil for refining and he also said a lot of things which I can't explain because I don't understand the system the way he does and I'm 100percent sure our president doesn't!look,jonathan is making these little progress because of his few brilliant ministers lyk Barth Nnaji(ex power)Adesina(agric),to mention a few of the few!Nigeria will continue in a slow pace if he is re-elected...I'm from d south south and I don't give a damn..if someone better that we all know comes in 2015,let's vote him in pls,your country is begging its inhabitants!

7 Likes

Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by luvablesam(m): 8:50am On Oct 02, 2013
If u don't stay in Nigeria....u can't understand what happens in Nigeria......

Except Electricity n Corruption which I think is quite correct....the rest are just unfounded stories...

One is for sure doh "Naija Rocks ABSOLUTELY"
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Gbawe: 8:55am On Oct 02, 2013
mars123: In oshiomohle's media chat,he was made to analyze Nigeria's problem and give a solution or two..he spoke about NNPC and their mismanagement of over 400 000bbls of cruude oil for refining and he also said a lot of things which I can't explain because I don't understand the system the way he does and I'm 100percent sure our president doesn't!look,jonathan is making these little progress because of his few brilliant ministers lyk Barth Nnaji(ex power)Adesina(agric),to mention a few of the few!Nigeria will continue in a slow pace if he is re-elected...I'm from d south south and I don't give a damn..if someone better that we all know comes in 2015,let's vote him in pls,your country is begging its inhabitants!

Thank you. I have often said it that it is impossible for any President not to have some "achievements" to his/her name. Every regime can be credited with one thing or the other. Yet we all know Nigeria's potentials which , married to the right solutions, can put us on the path of greatness quickly.

As one example, the right President will no doubt understand he must bravely confront and reform the current bloated and profligately unwieldy structure of Nigeria that means 70% of our budgeted spending goes on recurrent expenses. This figure is in single digit for many nations of the world and analyst worldwide have said we can never develop if this hideous economic/administrative aberration continues yet we see absolutely no effort from GEJ in regard to this fundamental problem after 3 years as substantive President of Nigeria.

Instead, rather than lead by example, we see him adding to the problem as the poster child of mindless greed and profligacy. Three new air-planes (costing $151 million) added to a functional Presidential airfleet of 7, to make 10, by GEJ. This massive fleet is then maintained at the cost of N18 billion per year while the Police force is allocated N11 billion to equip its officers !!!

Some can hate Buhari and Ribadu all they want but can anyone honestly think either of the two would maintain an air fleet of 10 planes?

This air fleet example , sadly, is what typifies the leadership of GEJ. This is a President directly compounding, instead of tackling, the biggest problems of Nigeria. Mind you, those before him (OBJ and Yar Adua) were virtually the same. I.e limited, hollow and ephemeral "achievements" yet our major problems, exemplified by the revelations of this article, continue to worsen.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Alexbond(m): 9:19am On Oct 02, 2013
non of dis records is depressin because it's not strange[sup][/sup]
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by cashkid18(m): 9:43am On Oct 02, 2013
its sucks to be a nigerian..
proudly biafran cool cool
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Ajibel(m): 9:51am On Oct 02, 2013
This doesnt make me sad instead makes me realize that we have much to do as a Nation and make us aware that we have been punished by bad leaders that have assumed office in the past and nau. It is nau left for us to reflect on these and do what is right to get our country back on track. We cant shy away from these and just weep or get sad everytime we read about sth unworthy related to Nig...*some text missing*
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by oduaboy1: 10:05am On Oct 02, 2013
This is a result of voting an obviously retarded otueke fisherman and bloodsucking monsters called pdp into power

1 Like

Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by cashkid18(m): 10:51am On Oct 02, 2013
odua boy: This is a result of voting an obviously retarded otueke fisherman and bloodsucking monsters called pdp into power
gej is still beta dan ur looter broda,obj
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 02, 2013
when GEJ stays in power in power for the next 6yrs, we ll top all those records, I tell ya

Mehn, India's electricity supply is worse than naija! choi! dah means they no even see candle use oo
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Slizbeat(m): 11:24am On Oct 02, 2013
I really weep for this country. I have stopped being a Nigerian to being IGBO. I now understand what Chimuamanda Adiche meant by saying "She is Nigerian because the white man says so"

God shall help all of us to see reasons to hate this nation. The period we begin to hate this nation, the better the nation will become because she will try to impress her children. Is there any mother that is not disheartened when her child says "Mum, I hate you"? What such mothers do is to try and gain trust back even if it means her dying so that her child would believe in her once again.
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by omenka(m): 1:25pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:

This massive fleet is then maintained at the cost of N18 billion per year while the Police force is allocated N11 billion to equip its officers !!!

Oh Lord!!! If this isn't treason, I don't know what is!!!
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Let us blame "Oyibo" for everything and never ourselves . We will surely become a great Nation thinking like that. Did Oyibo make our President insanely hand over our refineries into the incompetent hands of the NNPC for 24 months to now result in our refineries being rated the worst in Africa? Was it not always obvious the crazy decision of GEJ was only going to make things worse? Why do we Nigerians have a problem with understanding that actions, especially our own, have consequences ? Why are we always so keen to blame others for our woes when most of our problems can be directly linked to the poor/compromised decision-making and performance of our own leaders?

Shall we blame Oyibo also for the drastically increased level of oil theft when it was the President of Nigeria that led the sabotage of his own Country via handing pipeline protection contract to former militant warlords who are, in reality, glorified oil bunkerers?

They punish and ostracise corruption worldwide yet our President pardons offenders convicted of ruining the future of many with corrupt actions. When we are then adjudged very corrupt, why must we drag Oyibo into issues if a people who understand the consequences of the actions of our own leader?

Nigeria can only change if, first and foremost, those who are led begin to hold their direct leaders accountable before looking elsewhere or to anyone else for blame/solutions.
I agree with your points sir, but what I have an issue with is them "oyibo" shoving these findings down our throats!

Coming to your last paragraph, especially the bold text, I wish we all could really begin to tow that path! Plus, there is a huge gap, filled with leaders between us and Mr. President.
We oftentimes overlook them! These are the ones we should really watch out for, for crying out loud, they are the ones we "know"
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2013
@Gbawe, I missed an earlier issue I wanted to point out: did the "oyibo" add that "pic" to the article, to depict "Nigeria" or you did?
Could you also explain the reason, if it was your choice?
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by dridowu: 2:49pm On Oct 02, 2013
Hmmmm ? If i look back sometime i feel ashamed of being a Nigerian due to bad record. One day sha e go better. Anyway thanks to our FG that enrich themselves by forgetting we the citizen.
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by TeaParty: 3:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
You should try more as well by telling your Tinubu to also live by example.

Gbawe:

Thank you. I have often said it that it is impossible for any President not to have some "achievements" to his/her name. Every regime can be credited with one thing or the other. Yet we all know Nigeria's potentials which , married to the right solutions, can put us on the path of greatness quickly.

As one example, the right President will no doubt understand he must bravely confront and reform the current bloated and profligately unwieldy structure of Nigeria that means 70% of our budgeted spending goes on recurrent expenses. This figure is in single digit for many nations of the world and analyst worldwide have said we can never develop if this hideous economic/administrative aberration continues yet we see absolutely no effort from GEJ in regard to this fundamental problem after 3 years as substantive President of Nigeria.

Instead, rather than lead by example, we see him adding to the problem as the poster child of mindless greed and profligacy. Three new air-planes (costing $151 million) added to a functional Presidential airfleet of 7, to make 10, by GEJ. This massive fleet is then maintained at the cost of N18 billion per year while the Police force is allocated N11 billion to equip its officers !!!

Some can hate Buhari and Ribadu all they want but can anyone honestly think either of the two would maintain an air fleet of 10 planes?

This air fleet example , sadly, is what typifies the leadership of GEJ. This is a President directly compounding, instead of tackling, the biggest problems of Nigeria. Mind you, those before him (OBJ and Yar Adua) were virtually the same. I.e limited, hollow and ephemeral "achievements" yet our major problems, exemplified by the revelations of this article, continue to worsen.

1 Like

Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:56pm On Oct 02, 2013
Ok...tell us the great history of Nigeria! undecided
Why do alwys focus on the bad part?

Abegii...

i'm proudly Nigerian until we break sha..

*peace*
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Gbawe: 5:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
kaeyame: @Gbawe, I missed an earlier issue I wanted to point out: did the "oyibo" add that "pic" to the article, to depict "Nigeria" or you did?
Could you also explain the reason, if it was your choice?

I am not the thread starter so the article or picture used has nothing to do with me.
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Gbawe: 5:22pm On Oct 02, 2013
TeaParty: You should try more as well by telling your Tinubu to also live by example.

If Tinubu is the President of Nigeria then your post may have contextual relevance. Going by your logic, we should even revive Abacha and tell him to "lead by example" while those officially elected to do so are excused to continue with their misrule.

1 Like

Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 02, 2013
...But we are the happiest people in the world! That's something to be proud of. Despite the poor economy,Nigerians are happy or maybe suffering and smiling. We are happy people indeed!

grin grin
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Gbawe: 5:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
kaeyame:
I agree with your points sir, but what I have an issue with is them "oyibo" shoving these findings down our throats!

Coming to your last paragraph, especially the bold text, I wish we all could really begin to tow that path! Plus, there is a huge gap, filled with leaders between us and Mr. President.
We oftentimes overlook them! These are the ones we should really watch out for, for crying out loud, they are the ones we "know"

To be honest, no Nigerian loves this. Not even the ones who have turned their back on the Nation. Nonetheless we must face the truth. How I view things is that we should be able to debunk these rankings with proven facts and sensible argument never sentiments. The reality is that doing so, in the case of Nigeria, is simply not possible because we ourselves see all the terrible thing occurring we would be liars denying. We have all seen the mess made of our refineries by our greedy and self-serving leaders. We all see how corruption is now official and openly brazen today.

Yes I agree it is tedious confronting these 'negatives' about our Nation but these revelation should spur our leaders on to make a change. With leadership, I don't blame the President for everything but he fails many times, by commission or omission, to do the right thing and lead by example.

If a President is genuinely trying via doing the right things, then I can bear with and even support him. I won't support a President who supervised the handing over of marketers license to roadside mechanics , lacking requisite capacity to operate as fuel importers, who then went on to scam Nigeria blind via fraudulent invoicing for "imported" fuel !!!!

I have no affinity with a President who, in the face of crippling poverty of his people, buy 3 planes for $151 million to add to 7 functional planes when his African compatriots are even selling the single aircraft they have to "alleviate poverty" of the people. Insensitively, this President is then comfortable allocation N18 billion to maintain his fleet being the same amount the UN says can comfortably provide accomodation for a stupendously large number of Nigerians.

I cannot support a President who hands our refineries over to the moribund NNPC and gives pipeline protection contracts to militant with the result that oil theft is at its highest level now for a long time. I can't praise a President who elevates corruption publicly.

I can't back a President told to kill corruption by ending the practice of Nigeria selling her crude through trader as the only major exporter currently doing so. Rather than implement such a sensible suggestion, the President actually sanctions attacks against the leader of the team (Ribadu) that made the recommendations. Even Ghana that began selling oil recently is not found wanting in regards to such a condemnable practice. It is always Nigeria. It is a year now since Ribadu submitted his report with nothing done at all after a lot of money had been dedicated to empowering the work of Ribadu. Ditto for the many committees convened expensively only for their recommendations to be ignored by a President who is a big part of the problem.

There are a million things showing PDP Presidents directly abetting the problems of Nigeria which then lead to these awfully notorious positions of Nigeria on 'unsavoury lists'. That is what we have to confronts first as direct stakeholders instead of hosting any righteous indignation over 'Oyinbo's' representation of us. Are they lying? I myself have come here to tell everyone that corruption at the the Nigerian airport of MMIA is the worst I have ever experienced as a traveller who has been to over thirty nations of the world with many of them being in Africa. Should I be attacked because some are uncomfortable with this revelation or should the appropriate authority be charged to get to work so that this awful status quo is reversed?

The fact is that many of our woes are caused by many leaders at many levels but direct links for the biggest failures can be established with the poor performance of OBJ, Yar Adua and now GEJ. Between them, they have had 14 years of trying and our major problems remain the same or worse because of their actions/inaction. So far, OBJ is worst because he had 8 years he squandered completely whereas President of Lula of Brazil, in the same 8 years (2003 t0 2011) turned Brazil around tremendously and amazingly. We must face the fact that 14 years of democracy, if our Presidents were of a comparatively decent calibre, is enough to see many unenviable things about Nigeria reversed. Nothing to do with 'Oyibo'.
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by ACM10: 8:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
This is truly sad
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by phaatiade: 3:35am On Oct 03, 2013
Gbawe:

To be honest, no Nigerian loves this. Not even the ones who have turned their back on the Nation. Nonetheless we must face the truth. How I view things is that we should be able to debunk these rankings with proven facts and sensible argument never sentiments. The reality is that doing so, in the case of Nigeria, is simply not possible because we ourselves see all the terrible thing occurring we would be liars denying. We have all seen the mess made of our refineries by our greedy and self-serving leaders. We all see how corruption is now official and openly brazen today.

Yes I agree it is tedious confronting these 'negatives' about our Nation but these revelation should spur our leaders on to make a change. With leadership, I don't blame the President for everything but he fails many times, by commission or omission, to do the right thing and lead by example.

If a President is genuinely trying via doing the right things, then I can bear with and even support him. I won't support a President who supervised the handing over of marketers license to roadside mechanics , lacking requisite capacity to operate as fuel importers, who then went on to scam Nigeria blind via fraudulent invoicing for "imported" fuel !!!!

I have no affinity with a President who, in the face of crippling poverty of his people, buy 3 planes for $151 million to add to 7 functional planes when his African compatriots are even selling the single aircraft they have to "alleviate poverty" of the people. Insensitively, this President is then comfortable allocation N18 billion to maintain his fleet being the same amount the UN says can comfortably provide accomodation for a stupendously large number of Nigerians.

I cannot support a President who hands our refineries over to the moribund NNPC and gives pipeline protection contracts to militant with the result that oil theft is at its highest level now for a long time. I can't praise a President who elevates corruption publicly.

I can't back a President told to kill corruption by ending the practice of Nigeria selling her crude through trader as the only major exporter currently doing so. Rather than implement such a sensible suggestion, the President actually sanctions attacks against the leader of the team (Ribadu) that made the recommendations. Even Ghana that began selling oil recently is not found wanting in regards to such a condemnable practice. It is always Nigeria. It is a year now since Ribadu submitted his report with nothing done at all after a lot of money had been dedicated to empowering the work of Ribadu. Ditto for the many committees convened expensively only for their recommendations to be ignored by a President who is a big part of the problem.

There are a million things showing PDP Presidents directly abetting the problems of Nigeria which then lead to these awfully notorious positions of Nigeria on 'unsavoury lists'. That is what we have to confronts first as direct stakeholders instead of hosting any righteous indignation over 'Oyinbo's' representation of us. Are they lying? I myself have come here to tell everyone that corruption at the the Nigerian airport of MMIA is the worst I have ever experienced as a traveller who has been to over thirty nations of the world with many of them being in Africa. Should I be attacked because some are uncomfortable with this revelation or should the appropriate authority be charged to get to work so that this awful status quo is reversed?

The fact is that many of our woes are caused by many leaders at many levels but direct links for the biggest failures can be established with the poor performance of OBJ, Yar Adua and now GEJ. Between them, they have had 14 years of trying and our major problems remain the same or worse because of their actions/inaction. So far, OBJ is worst because he had 8 years he squandered completely whereas President of Lula of Brazil, in the same 8 years (2003 t0 2011) turned Brazil around tremendously and amazingly. We must face the fact that 14 years of democracy, if our Presidents were of a comparatively decent calibre, is enough to see many unenviable things about Nigeria reversed. Nothing to do with 'Oyibo'.

u deserve an award for dis write up..seriously!
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by eye4eye: 3:41am On Oct 03, 2013
Very sad
Re: 12 Depressing Nigerian Records That Would Make Every Patriotic Nigerian Sad by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 03, 2013
Titiluvly: Chaiii.
.God help Us
I hate hearing this God help us nonsense. It is meant for lazy people, and those with less intelligence. People who cannot use their brains to think like normal human being. why does God need to help us when he saw Nigeria going into this deteriorating state. He offered no help then. Those that have less believe in Him, he offered immediate help.
Rubbish!!!

(1) (Reply)

Video: Gej Promised One Term Only - Says Obj & Ijaw Group / The Crazy Cost Of Healthcare In The US!!! / Nigerian Woman Was Force To Do Prostitution In Italy For 5year, Tells Her Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.